SFC QF: Extra time heartbreak for Kells

September 11, 2018

Brian Hanlon Gaeil Colmcille

St. Peter's , Dunboyne 2-14 Gaeil Colmcille 0-16

Gaeil Colmcille and Dunboyne met in the last quarter-final match of the weekend in this years Meath Senior Football Championship at Dunshaughlin.  

Gaeil Colmcille got off to the better start, thanks to two free-kicks from corner forward Brian Hanlon. Dunboyne went on to register three unanswered points to leave them ahead by one after 10 minutes. two more Hanlon frees saw Kells retake the lead. Dunboyne were awarded a penalty on 21 minutes when Martin Barrett fouled inside the box leaving referee David Gough no choice. The penalty was put away with the help of the upright to see Dunboyne lead by 2 points with 9 minutes to go until half time. Dunboyne added another point before Hanlon added two more points to leave Kells trailing 1-04 to 0-06 at Half Time. 

Dunboyne started the better after the break getting the opening two scores. Kells, another Hanlon free saw Kells stay close to Dunboyne. Dunboyne seemed to be pushing away and on 51 minutes led 1-08 to 0-07. Gaeil Colmcille never gave up  and three more points from Hanlon and a wonderful score from substitute Fionn Ferguson saw Kells go level with four minutes remaining. Dunboyne responded well and looked to have won the game in normal time when with two points in quick succession saw the black and amber lead by 1-10 to 0-11 with the game going into injury time. Up stepped Seamus Mattimoe with two scores, the first a fisted effort and the second, a monster point to draw the sides level. With 63 minutes on clock, Gaeil Colmcille had a chance to snatch victory but the free from Hanlon was too far out and extra time beckoned for both sides. 

In the opening minute of extra time, Mattimoe had the chance to put 3 points between the sides but his effort was well saved by the Dunboyne keeper. Two Hanlon points and two Dunboyne meant there was still no separating the sides at Half time in extra time. 

Both sides traded scores with Hanlon pointing his thirteenth score of the match to leave it 0-16 to 1-13 with 4 minutes remaining. Dunboyne always kept their noses in front and a super score saw them take a one point lead into the Final stages. With Gaeil Colmcille pushing for an equalizing score, Dunboyne broke on the break and got their second goal of the match with the final kick of the game to see them through to the semi final. A thoroughly entertaining game with 16 scores a piece proving how crucial goals are in football. 

Gaeil Colmcille: J Carry-Lynch, J Muldoon, B Smith, J Quigley, P Tormay, C Keegan, J Reilly, O Reilly, E Sheridan, F Reilly, S Curran, L Ferguson, S Mattimoe (0-02), M Barrett, B Hanlon (0-13) 
Subs: C Doogan for Sheridan, F Ferguson (0-01) for F Reilly, C Courtney for Tormay, G Arkins for Barrett 

Dunboyne: C Flynn G McCoy S Lavin J  Scannall C Finn S Mc Entee S Ryan 1-0, D Gallagher N Jones S Lowndes  D Mc Entee L Byrne 0-2, R Mc Carthy 0-4, R Jones 0-1 and  D Lenhian 1-5. Subs C O Dwyer for S McEntee C Lacey 0-1 for D Gallagher and C Doran for D Mc Entee. Subs used in extra time M Dunne J Donnelly C Lowndes and S Commiskey 0-1

Most Read Stories