IFC: Excellent second half display secures knockout place for Michaels

August 24, 2018

St Michaels Shane McCormack gains possession under pressure against St Ultans during the Meath IFC game at Ballinlough

St Michaels 1-20  St Ultans 2-9          

An excellent second half display by the St. Michaels men was rewarded with a quarter final place in this years Meade Potato IFC as they condemned a gallant St. Ultans side to the relegation play offs in an exciting match played before a large attendance in Ballinlough last evening.

The sides were level five times in a watertight opening half with only a point separating the sides at the interval. It was tit for tat throughout that opening half as St. Ultans got off the mark first with a point in the second minute, Shane McCormack levelled from a free only for St. Ultans to go back in front a minute later. Shane McDonnell replied in kind however the Bohermeen side split the St. Michaels defence and blasted low to the left corner for their opening major on six minutes. McDonnell found the target for St. Michaels four minutes later and the same player cancelled out the Ultans goal as he was on hand to receive from Ronan Lynch on 12 minutes to shoot a rasping shot low to the net. St. Ultans replied adding three on the trot before Ciaran Lynch levelled matters once again. Then disaster fell upon the St. Michaels defence as a high probing ball into the square was deflected off one of their own players into the net for a two point lead for St. Ultans. Undeterred St. Michaels ploughed on with points from Ray Reilly, Shane McCormack and Ciaran Lynch however St. Ultans finished the half better with two points for a 2-7 to 1-9 interval lead.                                                                                                 .

The match was all square for the sixth time three minutes into the second period as Ciaran Lynch sent over his fourth point, this time from a free, however St. Ultans restored their lead 30 seconds later, but again the north Meath men replied with two from play from Ronan "Blondie"  Lynch, St. Ultans sent over what proved to be their final score of the match on 48 minutes to level the game for the seventh time, in the meantime St. Michaels increased the intensity of their play and found their groove with Davy Lynch firing over from play, J.B. O'Reilly finished off a good solo run with a tap over and Ciaran Lynch ran into an ocean of space in front of goal to receive from McCormack for his fifth minor. With the points as good as in the bag with 5 minutes remaining is was now all about score difference between themselves and their north Meath neighbours Nobber so St. Michaels parked the bus in the St. Ultans half and Felim O'Reilly, Ray Reilly and Shane McCormack all contributed points for what was a hard earned but well deserved victory but most importantly a place in the quarter finals.  

St. Michaels: Darren O'Connell; Alan Reilly, Sam Briody, Harry Dunne; David Lynch (0-1), Christopher Drew, Ben Reilly: Felim O'Reilly (0-1), J.B. O'Reilly (0-1); Shane McCormack (0-4), Ciaran Lynch (0-7), Shane McDonnell (1-2); Paddy Tobin, Ray Reilly (0-2); Ronan Lynch (0-2). Subs: Ciaran O'Reilly for Dunne, Mark Stafford for B. Reilly, Cian Sheridan for Tobin.                                                                                        

Referee: Gerry McGivney.

Report and photo: Pascal Reilly PRO.

Most Read Stories