National Forum

Popular Posts from KK1926

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Gooch on Tyrone - 40 Like(s)
Is there any truth in the rumour going around that there'll be a national Church Gate collection for the Gooch on Sunday 15th October?

KK1926 (National) - 03/10/2017 22:03:18

Michael Duignan on Sky coverage and the GAA - 26 Like(s)

Replying To Ben:  "Call me cynical but does anyone think micheals comments was said to deflect the attention away from the Brian cody incident ? We are all talking about the Sky deal instead of a manager putting his hands on an official."
Ha ha! Ridiculous conspiracy theory. Yes apply the law for interfering with an official, no one in Kilkenny or Cody himself is too worried about a 12 week ban. Connolly got it, he should get it. All we're concerned with down here is getting back into the elite level of hurling at senior level. The future. There's underage inter county competition to focus on and the club scene. Congrats to Waterford, they more than earned their victory.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 19:35:46

Never Heard Of Him! - 26 Like(s)

Replying To Ulsterman:  "I can take it......... Laois I can take it..............blub blub! I am getting older, not that old, and the oul arthritis is kicking in so cut me some slack FFS. I used to play Irish League football on a Saturday and Antrim GAA on a Sunday and my joints are now crumbling into dust.......but I am not one for complaining. Firstly I don't disrespect my own county or Carlow. I get sad and frustrated at the state of Antrim hurling and football. I don't think modern day Antrim county players have the same backbone or fight in them as days gone by. Carlow hurling has made great strides and there's no doubt geography has helped them, being in the midst of hurling counties whereas we don't have that. Kildare have had some very good footballing sides over the past 2 decades but Willie McCreery's remarks about Ulster football were bang out of order and untrue. Were Peter Canavan, Stevie O'Neill, Sean Cavanagh, Cormac McAnallen (RIP), Oisin McConville. Stevie McDonnell, Diarmuid Marsden, Ronan Clarke, Michael Murphy, Colm McFadden, Karl Lacey etc BAD footballers with no ability or skill? It's total disrespect on McCreery's part and that's when I MUST defend my province. There's a lazy stereotype there and it has to be challenged."
Why didn't you just address the issue of his comments then without the 'I Never Heard of Him' thread title. I doubt McCreery disrespects any of those great players you mentioned. I don't have a them and us attitude to Ulster or any province. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of Armagh v Down, the full matches of Monaghan and Cavan and Monaghan and Down. I think Tyrone are scoring freely. I've always been a fan of Ulster hurling, be it Gerard McGrattan of Down v Cork in 1992, Antrim in 1989, Derry putting it up to the top class Offaly side in 2000. I've no problem with any province. I feel you carry the weight of the world with this Ulster v the rest agenda. Is the main reason a historical one? The south's selling out of the north in 1921-22 and creating a cosy Free State for themselves? As a student of history i actually have trouble with that. But time is moving on and we have to work in the here and now. But anti Ulster, not me or most people i know. McCreery's comments were probably a bit loose. And you're right, a tired cliché.

KK1926 (National) - 16/07/2017 00:44:40

Michael Duignan on Sky coverage and the GAA - 25 Like(s)

Replying To Pinkie:  "You don't have an entitlement to free GAA into your home, should somebody going to the game get in for free in that case just because they are involved locally with the organisation?"
Tearintom, Pinkie and Perfect 10 are all Wexford posters in favour of the Sky deal. Perhaps you all have a problem with Michael Duignan for comments he made about dirty Wexford play against Dublin in the championship a few years ago than the content of his message. No one is saying anything about entitlement but the GAA sold out it's older members to Sky.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 16:35:05

Replying To perfect10:  "i have plenty to do with rural ireland and my aging parents,i live in a gaa heartland and am active in my gaa club,training 2 underage teams. regardless of the lack of broadband,they can get sky if they want it. it is never any harm to see rte challenged on their nonsensical analysis,their tired coverage,cliche's,etc.and sky are just as entitled as rte to show gaa.it is not rtes game.rte didnt show the league and tg4 started doing so,should there be an english transaltion to help those who cant speak irish? you are right about one thing,i cant play the violin nor have i ever tried."
Aging.. How old, there's a big difference between late 60s and 70s and what age mine are, late 80s and early 90s and confined to the house. No old person should have to leave their home or pay extra for a product that belongs to the community not just Croke Park. Many lifelong GAA supporters agree with Duignan's point and feel betrayed by the organisation. It's a disgrace that RTE have agreed an exclusive deal with any foreign channel for the rights of Irish GAA supporters to see their county play. I too stand on the sideline every week coaching youngsters. I am glad to do it. No payment is sought or received. There are thousands like me and thousands more who used to do it but are now too old to be actively involved. The GAA's rewards to these loyal supporters is to ask them to pay a foreign company money to watch some of the youngsters they may have coached in the past. The GAA already get huge support in grant form from the taxpayers of Ireland so there is no reason why the games should not be available to the ordinary taxpayer/citizen.Why should any GAA supported 'have' to get Sky to see a match? What, pay €70 a month to see a few matches? There are men and women the length and breadth of the country, young and old, who played for their clubs and counties, making the GAA possible and now they have to pay to see their county or go to a pub. Thats gratitude for you...GAA style!! And what are the players getting from the whole deal??

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 14:39:48

Replying To zinny:  "Also were not all the Irish Rugby games available on RTE at that time as well - ah but who cares about old people who follow Rugby, they are not entitled to anything."
Stop compairing the IRFU to the GAA. Ridiculous. They later's ethos was built on community and grass roots involvement. Historically a cultural movement.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 19:21:10

Replying To tearintom:  "I couldn't care less what duignan says or said in the last, what your missing is the point of the complete irony of his statement. A person employed by RTÉ states on RTÉ that it's wrong that one of their rivals i.e. Sky have access to games meanwhile all the time the same person doing the complaining has sky himself. And after watching duignan in his hey day again it's with a fair sense of irony hearing him talk about dirty play in hurling and condoning it. I've never said I'm in favour of the deal, I've said it's been done to death on here. Duignan claims his father had no means of watching the game when he obviously did, that's the irony of the whole thing. And you're saying nothing other than entitlement, actually your saying loads of things but addressing nothing. First off it's not any better in your opinion and ye went down the eye candy route Joe brolly did and ended up making a right tit of himself. Secondly your saying yes we should all be entitled to see as many live games for free as we want, how is that not entitlement? I would actually live to see all games free but it ain't, what's the point in whinging about it? Along with a lot of things in the gaa it's not right and it's about money. It's not right for Kilkenny to take football development money from Croke park but they still do for example. What I do know having an awful lot of family in the uk who had to leave in the past they think the deal is great"
You can't differentiate between entitlement and fair play to your support base and people who helped put the association where it is in the first place. Lazy analysyis. Agreed the likes of Duignan and Whelan can be hypocritical when speaking on discipline. But on the issue Duignan spoke of last night i'm with him.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 19:25:32

Replying To royaldunne:  "Sky sports half price for gaa 20 per month for 6 months, imagine duignan wouldn't be so stingy and get it In for his dad. ?"
No the 1989 Munster Final was the first before the all ireland semis. See bottom of page below. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 20:31:18

Michael Duignan on Sky coverage and the GAA - 24 Like(s)

Replying To perfect10:  "duignan is 100% wrong here. the gaa,like any other sporting entity,are entitled to sell their rights to whoever they want. imagine gary neville saying that the premier league were wrong to sell the rights to bt sport,"because the premier league have plenty of money".ffs get with the times michael,it is not your place to offer an opinion on who the gaa sell the rights to."
Silly post. No one is 100% wrong or 100% right when it comes to opinion, which is what Duignan offered. 'Get with the times'.. spare a thought for previous generations who worked so hard to build this country. All sections of society need to be looked after, not just the young and under 65 who are more tech savy etc.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 13:28:25

Replying To perfect10:  "well hang on while i get the fiddle out. michael duignan is offering his opinion to an audience of hundreds of thousands of people.his opinion carries weight,it is not his place to offer it given who is paying his wages,i.e. the gaa. regardless of whether previous generations built the country or whatever,the world cant stay still and life changes. sure there are people who wont drive on motorways,does that mean we shouldnt build them?"
There's balance though Perfect10. You obviously have little to do with the older generation or as another poster pointed out realise there's no broadband in most of rural Ireland. The hurling and gaa heartlands. Silly comparison again. Driving on motorways is something older people may not be able to do due to age, most of the same can enjoy a match on tv though. Put your violin back in..i doubt you're able to play it.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 14:01:41

Replying To zinny:  "And RTE are showing more now than when Sky got involved but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Here is the kicker in the whole thing, if Waterford had won by 20 points who he have said anything. But hey nobody minds having games on SKY if they are Wexford v Monaghan in Football."
No rte aren't fewer games and not the choice of the bigger ones.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 19:21:53

Replying To streaker:  "Thanks KK. 13 people obviously need those winking faces at the end to understand tongue-in-cheek posts."
I'm new here but the thumbs up feature is cheap and gimmicky.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 19:26:39

Replying To Inaroundehouse:  "Irish ppl in the U.K. Would like to watch the games too .. if that's ok with you like!"
Charity begins at home ;)

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 19:30:00

Michael Duignan on Sky coverage and the GAA - 23 Like(s)

Replying To tearintom:  "It's actually not a myth though, it's true. On sky they actually analyse the games themselves which is alien these days to RTÉ, particularly on the football side of things, to b fair there's not much difference in the sky anaysls and the RTÉ when it comes to hurling. On RTÉ on the football side of things we have analysts incapable of analysing anything without criticism, genuinely incapable of talking anything up without first having to knock something down. It's analysis full of agendas and a policy of each analyst trying to get one up on the other. Sky actually analyse the games, look at the tactics and the approach of teams. As for duignan surely he could have brought his dad over to his own house to watch the game, seeing as he has previously been commenting on the lions games he's been watching on sky judging by his twitter comments! The sky thing has been done to death at this stage,"
'As for duignan surely he could have brought his dad over to his own house to watch the game, seeing as he has previously been commenting on the lions games he's been watching on sky judging by his twitter comments! The sky thing has been done to death at this stage, tearintom (Wexford) - Posts:564 - 10/07/2017 09:52:27 201372' I presume Duignan was in Thurles watching KK v Waterford for RTE analysis Sunday night. A little difficult to be with his dad in his home at the same time.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 13:24:44

Replying To streaker:  "Errrr... Kinda what I was getting at?"
Ha! Sometimes sarcasm doesn't travel well on the internet!

KK1926 (National) - 09/07/2017 23:28:46

Replying To galwayfball:  "I have sky and prefer when a game I want to watch is on sky because the pundits are much better however it's our national sport and should be free to view. Don't like to think of die hards who for one reason or another can't make it to the game can't watch it at home."
Sick of this myth of Sky pundits being better. It's all so sanitised and boring for both codes. Bit of flash technology doesn't enhance punditry to any great extent. Great article by Eamonn Sweeney today on Hold the Back Page in the SIndo about the merits of the Sunday Game as opposed to the alien feel of Sky. And Brolly had a point about Sky throwing in a bit of eye candy as a presenter too. All very modern and shallow.

KK1926 (National) - 10/07/2017 00:08:23

Replying To royaldunne:  "Ahh he is a little fighter, only given 20% chance night he was born, but after 3 months in hospital we got to bring him home, a nd every day he getting stronger. A typically Meath man, he never gave up :). Thanks for your wishes, we actually consider ourselves to be the lucky ones."
No all the opinions on Sky coverage, Diarmuid Connolly's suspension, whether Meath's footballers are improving, TG4 and the Irish language and other things we may have differed on are very trivial when compared with a child's health. It's very difficult watching a child suffer. We post our opinions here with great self importance and know little of what the man or lady we're debating with is going through.

KK1926 (National) - 11/07/2017 01:49:46

Never Heard Of Him! - 23 Like(s)

Replying To LaLu:  "Fair pls to Willie. You won't get a more noble, honest, un polluted sport than the one he is currently involved in now...."
I like Willie but if you think Horse Racing is the most honest unpolluted sport you haven't a clue.

KK1926 (National) - 16/07/2017 00:10:42

Memories of 12th July - 22 Like(s)
I've plenty of areas i wouldn't have the same level of intelligence but i could tell you where i kicked my 2 points that night. I was marking a county minor with a big reputation who had 2 years on me. I knew him from school too. All this synergy enhances memory. I don't know if you've ever read Sports Psychologist Tony Buzan but he explains it well. He worked with Steve Redgrave, the 5 time olympic rowing champ, Marlene Ottey among others.

KK1926 (National) - 13/07/2017 23:18:59

Tyrone for Sam 2017 - 21 Like(s)

Replying To Wally:  "I just wish our lads would keep this stuff to themselves. Like why even bring something like this up? Personally I don't think it is right. Lads could have various beliefs or none and they may feel pressured to partake in these rituals. It has no place within a sporting organisation."
In your opinion Wally. Lots of fellas tripping themselves up here trying to be modern. How would the rosary offend a lapsed Catholic as one poster suggested? If they're lapse they just aren't pushed. Also i'd say practising protestants would be pleased with a prayer. Of course the Our Father.

KK1926 (National) - 19/07/2017 23:58:24