National Forum

Popular Posts from GeniusGerry

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Lee Keegan throwing GPS at Rock? - 13 Like(s)
I saw it on TSG now, just something coming at him as he was kicking it. Didn't realise it was Keegan throwing his tracker. Absolutely scandalous behaviour if true

GeniusGerry (National) - 17/09/2017 23:15:55

RTE - Change Of Direction - 10 Like(s)

Replying To TheHermit:  "Dancing with the "stars""
And paying tubridy and co the guts of a half a million a piece GAA coverage on RTE is poor quite frankly. I have sky and watch most of the bigger games on that the coverage and analysis is miles ahead of RTE unfortunately

GeniusGerry (National) - 12/01/2019 00:36:13

Kerry V Dublin - 10 Like(s)
Nobody is going to lose sleep over anything on here. It's just annoying when any half decent debate gets dragged in to a childish slagging match. Always the same people involved who contribute nothing otherwise.

GeniusGerry (National) - 09/02/2019 08:53:20

RTE TV Coverage - 9 Like(s)

Replying To LarryOBrother:  "Meath are at best No.10 ranked team in the country, on a par to Carlow in Hurling. Westmeath are probably on a par to Westmeath in Hurling. If carlow were playing westmeath in hurling would you call it a top tier game? Get my point???? RTE have it dead right in my opinion, show top class hurling early on and then show the Football when the cream starts rising to the top. Anybody dissapointed can just take the drastic step of going to the match themselves."
This is the reality, the Leinster and Munster hurling is the equivalent of the Super 8's in football. They are always going to show the games that will attract the biggest viewership. One gripe I have about the coverage overall is that the Sunday game is so awful. They show extended highlights of games that we have already seen live and then talk incessantly about them. You barely get a 30 second snippet of other games that may have been very good. If there is both hurling and football on that day and you are not from one of the top counties you may as well forget it! Surely there is an opening for a longer magazine style highlights show, even if it was web based and came out on the Monday I would be happy with that, or TG4 could do it. The overall coverage across both codes is really poor imo.

GeniusGerry (National) - 01/05/2019 12:00:24

RTE - Change Of Direction - 9 Like(s)

Replying To bennybunny:  "And TG4 is better too.. In my opinion at least. I hope RTÉ expanded coverage doesn't squeeze TG4. They have been brilliant these last 20 years or so. Compared to RTÉ punditry it wouldn't be hard"
Yes than god for TG4 they have carved out a nice niche for themselves I don't know how profitable it is for them but they are doing a great job. Their club coverage in particular is excellent. I don't mind RTE's game coverage for the most part it's the analysis that annoys me we have been hearing the same old tired cliches and platitudes from O'Rourke, Brolly and Spillane for too long now. Switch over to Sky and you have Canavan and Horan (has) who would put them to shame. I'm surprised RTE haven't tried to up their game in that regard. I would happily pay a subscription for a good quality GAA TV online product where you could watch live games and get highlights etc I am sure that will come in time.

GeniusGerry (National) - 12/01/2019 11:22:08

The Drinking Ban - 9 Like(s)

Replying To ISupposeSoSheehan:  "Couldn't agree more with Lee Keegan on this. Nothing wrong with a few pints. Too much is being asked of players nowadays. Thoughts?"
He is dead right. Remember that toughest trade programme where Lee Chin, Brendan Maher and a few other went to train with pro teams? They couldn't get over the drinking ban GAA players had to endure. Excessive drinking can't be tolerated in high level sport any more but there must be a sensible balance somewhere in between that and tee total for 6-8 months of the year. No wonder so many players are turning their backs on the game. The demands on current players are gone way beyond what is reasonable for amateur players.

GeniusGerry (National) - 17/04/2019 16:43:00

Donegal's Motion Fails - 8 Like(s)

Replying To MesAmis:  "Donegal couldn't get the game moved from Croke Park in 2018 for 2018 but there was nothing stopping them, or any other county for that matter, bringing a motion for 2019 on. Donegal were indeed seething at having to play 2 away games. A lot of their ire should have been directed inwards as they voted, along with a lot of others, to give Dublin 2 home games in the first place. It was clear from the beginning it was unfair. Kildare proved last year that the "GAA", "Croke Park", "HQ" or the "Top Brass" are only as powerful as they're let to be. Uselessly complaining about things doesn't get things changed, it requires someone to actually do something. Giving Dublin one home game, one away game and one neutral game is very doable and should be in place already but for ineptitude."
I think the position was made very clear in 2018 and the GAA were going to work against any motion that aimed to get either game moved, and they have all the funding / power. In an era of collapsing attendances they do not want to leave a penny after them. You feel it failed on ineptitude, I and many others feel that any motion to that effect was doomed because the powers that be will always get their way, we'll agree to disagree. Kildare situation is not comparable as the home / away arrangement for qualifiers are very clear and they did not have to get the approval of a corrupt congress.

GeniusGerry (National) - 27/02/2019 12:48:08

Kerry V Mayo - 8 Like(s)
Congrats to mayo deservedly coming out on top of a good competitive game in dreadful conditions. Aidan O'Shea was incredible and the tackling and workrate all over the field was immense. Kerry hopefully will have learned more tonight than they did in any of the wins to date. Serious issues in defence and midfield I am afraid.

GeniusGerry (National) - 16/03/2019 20:53:48

Conor Cox - 8 Like(s)
Cox is doing well but with Kerry going with a two man full forward line there are too many ahead of him and I don't think he was ever going to get game time, definitely not in the championship anyway. Clifford, Geaney, Walsh, O'Brien and JOD are all definitely ahead of him in there and then you've Spillane, O'Se, Brosnan, Shaw and McCarthy all looking for spots too. Barry John cant even make the extended panel. There probably hasn't ever been a tougher time to be looking to break in to the Kerry inside line. Good luck to him though, fine player.

GeniusGerry (National) - 09/03/2019 14:42:50

2019 Division 1 League Final. - 8 Like(s)

Replying To gallarus14:  "You also forgot to mention tomás O'Sé graham O'Sullivan Conor Geaney Killian Spillane and Gavin O'Brien ."
@Username I think it's fair to say 2018 was the real year of change, seven of that team v kildare were in their debut seasons so using 2018 vs now as a yardstick to measure the evolution of the team is a bit disingenuous. One season of IC experience is nothing. The 2017 semi with Mayo would be a much fairer comparison. I can't recall any team turning over so many of their first team in such a short timeframe. I'd view Peter Keanes job as a minimum two to three year project to knit all this together. This summer I expect at a minimum Ryan, Foley, O'Sullivan, G. Crowley, White, Barry, Moynihan, OShea and Clifford to start, that's nine players and none have more than two years experience at this level with others like Burns and O'Brien very much in contention. Without doing detailed research I think only Crowley would be over 22. If that is not a 'new young team' I really can't imagine what would qualify. No other team is trying to work with so little experience and yes I believe it's vital to have at least a few veterans in there like a Geaney, Moran and Murphy. It is easier to integrate young players when you have mostly experienced players around them but we don't have that luxury. I doubt it will be a recipe for success in 2019 but I believe this Kerry side will have a breakout season in the coming years, especially if Peter Keane can put a midfield together. I take your point that Mayo's youngsters looked better than Kerry's at the weekend but I believe several of the lads you mentioned won an U21 with Mayo in 2016 when many of our lads were still minors, so I'd guess they are 23-24 so a bit ahead of Kerry's crop and surrounded by brilliant veterans like Keegan and O'Shea. That's not a sleight on mayos lads in any way, all I am saying is that Kerry need time to grow as a team. The media seem desperate to build up the next challenger to Dublin and stoke the Kerry V Dublin narrative, we saw this in 2018 and 2017 as well. I'm not buying it just yet but I am upbeat about Kerry's prospects in the medium to long term. Perhaps it's blind optimism, we'll see eventually I guess.

GeniusGerry (National) - 02/04/2019 23:08:55

This was the result the GAA needed and it's really no surprise at all. GAA HQ would have canvassed beforehand you can be sure. The financial and logistical implications of the motion carrying were too great for this to be left down to a democratic process. And no, I have no proof, but I have a lot of experience of how these things work generally speaking. Sean Kelly speaking out against is no surprise he was one of the main players in ensuring Dublin got their house in order back in the 00's, and is a former GAA president. I honestly don't think he wears a Kerry hat on these matters.

GeniusGerry (National) - 23/02/2019 19:14:54

Replying To Mayonman:  "motion was framed the wrong way around. It should have said neutral venue cannot be one of the nominated home venues. this way dublin don't have to play games in parnell park. neutral game could have been thurles or somewhere like that."
Do you not think Donegal thought of that? How many times does it need to be explained that in the eyes of the GAA there is no 'neutral' venue, only home, away and Croke Park. That is how the Super 8's is framed. Donegal couldn't put a motion forward about the neutrality of Croke Park with regard to Dublin because it is not supposed to be a neutral venue, rather the games are played there because it is our national stadium. This was all played out publicly last year.

GeniusGerry (National) - 27/02/2019 19:07:47

GAA Professionalism V Talent Drain To AFL - 8 Like(s)

Replying To ulsterrules:  "I dont see the talent drain myself, it is hugely blown up because of a couple of high profile under age stars in the making. last year there would have been 480 minor player starting in the football championship and we lost less than 20 to the AFL. 480 players the year before and we lost less. here is a challenge for all of us , make a fantasy football team out of all the players who left ireland to the AFL in the last 10 years, not an easy task. wish them well when they go and welcome them back if they return. this to me is cyclical . I might be wrong time will tell."
I don't think the numbers going is the issue. It's the fact that it's the cream of the crop that the AFL teams want, the 'difference makers' to borrow a term from American sports. How much stronger would Tyrone be in the coming years if they had McKenna, or Kerry if they had O'Connor? Michael Murphy has an opportunity to go but didn't take it, if he had, would Donegal have won that Sam in 2012? No sport can sustain its most promising players being systematically drawn away from the sport and it is starting to happen with worrying regularity at this stage. Of course you wish all these guys well and they are well within their rights to try to make a living from what they do. As for professionalism in GAA, we are such a tiny market that it's a complete non runner. I can see some element of pay coming in to it at some stage, probably in the form of central player grants but we are a long way from pro GAA players. There is nothing the GAA can do as far as I can see.

GeniusGerry (National) - 09/11/2018 12:50:39

If The Dubs Were To Win 4 In A Row - 8 Like(s)

Replying To kildare73:  "The neediness of a few dubs on here is hilarious. Yes Dublin are a wonderful team, whatever happens on Sunday. We just don't need an excuse to start yet another thread to express it. I think at this stage lads it's generally accepted so you can all relax. If it's not said here every five minutes it's "begrudgery"...............It's not begrudgery, its just not everyone else's job to feed egos. Good luck to both Dublin and Tyrone on Sunday, the best team will win no matter what anyone says."
Couldn't have said it better. The constant need for reassurance is tiresome. Dublin are one of the most lauded teams in the history of the game but no amount of praise is enough for some.

GeniusGerry (National) - 01/09/2018 10:39:32

Forum Becoming Boring - 8 Like(s)

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Has technology dated the Hoganstand forums a bit? A bit of an upgrade with the direct reply, but the thumbs up and down are no addition for me. Posters more used to other styles of forums, and Whatsapp stule apps where you can reply instantly and the banter back and forth can be better. Would be expensive to try it here and also very hard to moderate if posts move quick. I'm not so sure that the forum posts and posters are more boring, just that other sites and apps have more of their attention."
Without a doubt. It can take ages for posts to appear sometimes, even on game days. I also find the moderation very inconsistent and often heavy handed. The ability to PM other users would also be nice to arrange ticket swaps etc.

GeniusGerry (National) - 22/04/2019 20:20:40

Donegal's Motion Fails - 7 Like(s)

Replying To icehonesty:  "The Donegal motion was wrong to begin with. As it currently stands, teams in the Super 8 play one home game, one away game, and one Croke Park game. The Donegal motion sought to prevent Dublin from playing their home game in Croke Park. I feel this was completely wrong to be honest and here's why. Croke Park is Dublin's home ground. Dublin jackeens can rattle on all they like about Parnell Park, but Croke Park is Dublin's home. There are Dublin fans I know who've never set foot in Parnell Park. The motion should have sought to challenge the neutrality the GAA brass and Dublin claim Croke Park is. Croke Park is NOT a neutral ground for a team playing Dublin. Motion 39 should have been to allow Dublin play their home games wherever they like: Croke Park, Parnell Park or wherever they want. However, the alleged neutral game for Dublin in the Super 8 should NEVER be in Croke Park. If they are going to play Donegal it should be in Clones, if playing Kerry in Thurles, etc. Not Croke Park. Donegal tried to continue the lie that Croke Park is okay as a neutral ground and then say they shouldn't be able to play at home there. A home team should be allowed play their home game wherever they like (same for Waterford, they should have been allowed play in Nowlan Park or Fraher Field or Walsh Park last year). But a neutral game, a neutral game should always be in a neutral ground roughly halfway between the two teams, and NOT in a ground in one side's home county. And as a side note, I think the idea that if a group had say, Cork, Kerry, Mayo and Galway in it, that those teams should travel to Dublin to play against each other is absolutely stupid. Making fans travel hours to a game in a half empty stadium. Nonsense."
Couldn't agree more, motion was doomed from day one. Also agree about making counties travel to Dublin. We played Galway last year in a near empty Croke Park. Crazy. We probably would have filled the Gaelic Grounds between us.

GeniusGerry (National) - 23/02/2019 21:45:02

Kerry V Dublin - 7 Like(s)

Replying To jimbodub:  "Oh right ... and Kerry played 18 Rookies on the night yeah?"
I know Crowley and Geaney played but after that everyone was in their first or second season iirc. It was a particularly young team. Doesn't matter anyway, I've no great issue with the game or result.

GeniusGerry (National) - 08/02/2019 15:37:36

Donegal's Motion Fails - 7 Like(s)
@MesAmis you know full well that PP was never a realistic option for a big championship game as it wouldn't even accommodate the season ticket holders. As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread the idea of Dublin's 'neutral' game being moved was closed off in 2018 whether you want to acknowledge that or not. The only option left open to Donegal, who were justifiably seething at the unfair position they found themselves in in 2018 was to focus on the home game and try to get it moved, to where who knows, but it was never going to PP. GAA were never ever going to let that happen. It's interesting that all the experts are now commenting on how the motion could have passed yet not a geek out of them beforehand when it could have been easily amended. Congress is rotten to the core, an institution that overwhelmingly voted against transparency, that tells you all you need to know.

GeniusGerry (National) - 27/02/2019 10:39:31

Merge The League And Championship - 7 Like(s)
The league has evolved in to an excellent competition in its own right rather than a warmup for the championship. I think the future is a summer based league overlapping with a more streamlined knockout competition. Imagine the atmosphere at county grounds around the country hosting big games during the long evenings in summer. It would be great and everyone has something to play for throughout the summer. Play the provincials in the spring as I think they are worth keeping but the current format is not fair on anybody for reasons already outlined that I won't repeat

GeniusGerry (National) - 02/04/2019 18:29:38

Pairc Ui Chaoimh - 7 Like(s)

Replying To TheUsername:  "It's interesting comparing the two. The Lansdowne rebuild was 441 million for a capacity of 51.700k PUC rebuild 86million or 110 million (depending on who you believe) for a capacity 45.000k. Croke Park came in at 260 million for a capacity of 82.300k. I tend to agree you with you, capital infrastructure builds inevitably go over budget."
Tendered price on a build like that is a baseline or an educated guess if you will. Mistakes in the plans will be uncovered, genuine unforeseeable issues will arise, labour and materials go up, specs are changed etc etc there are so many variables it's crazy. I saw on the news last week that Tottenham's new stadium is running 30% over budget as an example. I have yet to hear of anything on that scale coming in on budget there should be 10-15% contingency minimum on a build like this. Depending on who you believe that was probably exceeded in this case of PUC and the whole things looks to have been badly managed from the off. I still think all the tut tutting on here is a bit much. Cork are a major GAA county with a big population and have almost always competed at the top level in both sports. Why shouldn't they have a proper stadium.

GeniusGerry (National) - 18/12/2018 01:08:07