National Forum

Popular Posts from TheUsername

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Dublin V Roscommon - 11 Like(s)
Well now an eventful day the far side of the Shannon all in. Just in the door an absolute blizzard between Kinnegad and Maynooth and a good hours tail back through the toll and another hour the far side given the snowy condititions, a couple of tips I saw on the road hopefully everyone gets back safely. All grand considering the wash out we got before and during the game that had poler bears reaching for their under armor base layers. As you can probably guess the game was played in very poor, wet conditions with a fair nip and sodden pitch. Hyde is looking well these days, it's one of my favourate county away grounds fair play to the Roscommon county board. On to the game itself, Dublin made some late changes with young lads like, McGowen, O Connor, Basquel coming into replace the more established players. The master came in for young Comerford. Young Gavin continued in the middle. While we lost Jack early on so Robbie McDaid played the majority of the game. So a fair bit of youth and inexperience to complement some established lads. Roscommon look a different animal this year, gone is the niceness and open expansive stuff. A team with real edge, fight and bite to match. The played a hybrid system overall at times the blanket and at times a pocession based game waiting for their opening and high pressing. Dublin stormed out of the blocks early on taking over some straight forward points and shortly scored a goal that had an inevitable feel of a rout in the first 25 mins or so. The game got tough then and every ball was contested fiercely, there were tackles flying in that you would proud of playing Rugby and the ref let some mad stuff go in my opinion. In the last quarter Roscommon bullied Dublin in my opinion who had taken their eye of the ball, were rattled and Roscommon went on to get a goal and wipe away the point deficit to go in all square deservedly at half time. Deservedly so in my opinion, though the ref lost control of the game and anything was going, at that stage. But Roscommon used a brilliant tactic on the Dublin defense the flooded and had a decoy on Cian Sullivan that let them have a man over on Dublin's marking system, making total hay in the last quarter of the first half. Roscommon had the better of the start of the second and went two up in third quarter with Dublin hitting bad wides. As we hit the 50 mun mark, something really unusual happened. Roscommon started to play keep ball and hold pocession, go down injured etc. It was weird because the momentum was with them and had the opposite effect of inviting Dublin on to them and handing the, the innitive. Dublin duly obliged and even with the most ridiculous wide count I have seen from Dublin in many a year, they got the couple of points to draw level, that brought back Dublin's composure, in the next phase we got what looked like a fortuitous goal and it was normal service resumed of just shooting out the lights. The game descended into a bit of farce then of lads just taking lumps. Overall glad to be leaving with two points, no suspensions and hopefully what looks like just a minor injury for Jack. Was the worst referee performance I think I've seen in a long time, Dublin got mangled in the first half and couldn't buy a free, while every minor call went Roscommons way. That really effected the game as a footballing spectacle as it dawned on both sides that anything could go and was more like Rugby then football. Then the whole thing went full circle in the second half, I thought he clearly favored Dublin, the cynic in me wondered did he get tap on the shoulder about his performance at half time. Anyway he didn't help the game for ethier side. Roscommon are a different outfit this year, tough as teak, with huge edge and massively physical and competitive. I suspect the days of give me quarter finals without lumps are a thing of the past and any team playing them should be prepared for rigour and lumps. They played some nice stuff as well as they always have. But this is a new Roscommon, with edge. As for Dublin, wasn't vintage but hard fought. Some young lads playing and being blooded left us a bit soft. Positives for me were Davey Byrne again, proper defender. Daren Gavin had a shaky opening 15 mins, but was great in the other three quarters, could be a super midfielder, but a way to go yet, but getting better and better per week. Cian after the wobbles had a good game. Fenton was Fenton, class. But he must have hit at least 5 wides. Thought McDaid looked good in spells. Thought Cooper had a tough day at the office, Paddy Andrews endevoured but left his shooting boots at home and was a bit indulgent at times. Costello had one of those anonymous games, as did the rest of the forwards first half, bar King Con. All in all, delighted to get the far side of Leixlip with two points, no serious injuries and no suspensions via a tough day in the office, but a stretch in the legs and ongoing blooding so all good. Hope everyone got home safely. Next up Tyrone in Croker on Paddy's weekend, spectacle!

TheUsername (National) - 03/03/2019 20:31:40

Kerry V Dublin - 9 Like(s)

Replying To westkerry:  "Id say you have a good chance alright... given the advantages provided to you."
That's genetics for you!

TheUsername (National) - 17/02/2019 16:44:09

Leinster - Now A Hurling Province? - 8 Like(s)

Replying To sportsfan14:  "Based on things as they stand now it appears Hurling is the dominant sport in Leinster....perhaps not in geographically but certainly in terms of success.... How is football so poor?"
To be fair a team outside of Leinster hasnt won a football All Ireland since 2014.

TheUsername (National) - 26/03/2018 12:39:32

Kerry V Dublin - 8 Like(s)
Maeve's development funding 2019 Kerry GDF 197.600 euro, population of Kerry 147.000, ratio = 1.34 euro per head. Dublin GDF 1.3 mill, population 1.34 mill, ratio = 97 cent per head. * Before Kerry provincial grant is given. Kerry really have been a poor investment by the GAA, in particular when you compare them to similar counties backgrounds namely Mayo and Donegal, who fare worse. Galway and Down again really should be up in arms!

TheUsername (National) - 16/02/2019 17:05:07

Stephen Cluxton - 7 Like(s)

Replying To greysoil:  "[quote=TheUsername:  "[quote=greysoil:  "FYI Username The Pale (An Pháil in Irish) or the English Pale (An Pháil Shasanach or An Ghalltacht) was the part of Ireland that was directly under the control of the English government in the late Middle Ages. It had been reduced by the late 15th century to an area along the east coast stretching from Dalkey, south of Dublin, to the garrison town of Dundalk.[1
The inland boundary went to Naas and Leixlip around the Earldom of Kildare, towards Trim and north towards Kells."]Thanks mate, not sure what your on about and choosing to think the best, so thanks!"]Just educating you on where the pale is/was. Obviously lost on you."]Yeah, I'm just not having that conversation thanks. *SHAKES HEAD.

TheUsername (National) - 13/06/2018 23:01:31

The pinnacle of cute Kerry h***r*sm - 7 Like(s)

Replying To TheHermit:  "To take one prominent example, DCU's sports academy was kitted out at mine and other tax payers expense for the benefit of Dublin GAA inter-county teams. Unlike Dublin, Kerry is not receiving bucket loads of handouts from Croke Park, the Irish Sports Council or 10-20 major sponsors every year. We have to fundraise to build our facilities, like our new centre of excellence or this sports academy in the IT in Tralee. So really I can't understand the issue with coming across an optional invite to a dinner of a legendary figure in the GAA to benefit a project in his native county!! If you paid taxes in the Republic (I'm unsure if you do or not as I see you are from Fermanagh), you would have funded a sports academy to benefit the Dublin GAA. But your concerned about seeing an advertisement giving you the option of supporting something for another county or not? Regardless, let's just cue up the usual Kerry bashing ..."
Not sure what any of this has to with Dublin, a bit miffed by the strength of that reaction. Just dont point though you are wrong on the grants given here: The Central council and Munster council gave the facility one million each for the COE = 2million Sponsorship: Kerry Group = 1million Sports Council = 7 million to facility in Tralee. I dont particularly have a problem with any of that, but the poor mouth narrative that often comes from Kerry is not really reflective of reality especially in comparison to other counties and what they get. You dont really have any financial adversity or anything to do without. I acknowledge we dont really have significant issues in funding in Dublin either and its not about that, though it would take us a good number of years to accumulate the above in games development grants. The victim narrative isnt really fitting when it comes to Kerry in my opinion, you get as much funding then anyone and better then almost everyone. I can understand based on the above why another poster may have raised this as an issue.

TheUsername (National) - 17/01/2018 14:20:06

Kerry V Dublin - 7 Like(s)
Back in the home Vikings. Open discourse i spent the best part of the week down there, hit Castlebar island on Weds and caught up with some pals I met traveling in NZ. Stayed out there Weds and we did a lesuirely trek of Ivergh pensulla on Thurs and Fri, featuring two memeromable nights out in Waterville and Glenbeigh, met some really interesting GAA people steeped in Kerry GAA history and folklore, even got to have a kick about on two or three club pitches. Some fascinating conversations, not least with an 85 year old man in Sneem, god it's embarrassing to think we actually try to understand the game on here listeningc to this guy, such wisdom and lived expierence in the GAA. Much needed fri, in Killarney on Sat before an all day job in Tralee, game then back to Killarney for the night, leisure Sunday and light evening refreshments then home. I'm sure no cares, the reason I mention it that traveling around a bit gave me an insight and to be honest a bit of a shock into how hurt people are in Kerry and how much this current teams success means to them, it's like a yearning need or a reassurance of realavance. It's quite amazing the missing out on their five in a row, still is very raw, they know they should have done it, but are equally very proud and rightly so of their four, it's not nice that anyone has equaled that never mind having the opportunity of five. That's not criticism everyone I met down there wished Dublin luck. More sense of what should have been and wishing it had been, or close to being done by themselves. It's irrelevent at this stage because Dublin will have to earn it. The above hasnt been helped by two seasons of limits in their own teams and to be honest, that was the biggest hurt I picked up, Kerry should not be beaten convincingly by Mayo, Galway, or need a last minute scramble against Monaghan to keep a breath of life in a championship campaign. My sense is there is a lot of hurt in the Kingdom, built up over years, opposing forces of another team matching and having an opportunity to over take some of their historic greatness, while in current context struggling to maintain their own standards and expectations in the Championship. But hope springs eternal and plenty of it at play in the fields of Kerry, the green shoots are coming and their was a Wryersmileon Sun then their was on Fri. As I said all of the above, was all conveyed in great spirit, sport, banter and honesty, the vast majority of people you meet in places in Kerty are welcoming, gracious and great hosts, fantastic GAA people, despite the messing you see on here, I hope they are back in sunny days deep in Summer, in Dublin 3 soon. go raibh maith agat

TheUsername (National) - 11/02/2019 19:16:17

Joanne Cantwell - 7 Like(s)
Shes great, i really like her. Also its refreshing to break up the old pals act and driving of agendas. The pundits on RTE have to much influence on the game in my opinion, talk about the tail wagging the dog. Sort them Joanne.

TheUsername (National) - 04/02/2019 10:51:53

Pairc Ui Chaoimh - 6 Like(s)
I'd have a different opinion to be honest. Its a huge capital outlay and it looks optimistic in terms of how they were going to manage it and poor they they didn't envisage an overspend. But i actually admire the gumption to do this project and i really dont have a problem with the GAA now coming in and better supporting the project financially more then they have to this point. Its a capital infrastructure profit, they inevitably have a deficit in the short term but long term it will pay for itself many times over over the next 100 years. Similar to Croke Park how many times will Croke Park pay for itself over the years. The long term benefit of a marquee stadium in the biggest city in Munster is a vital aspiration in my opinion. It should be the same in Connacht and Ulster, games beging funneled to Corke Park every year isnt good for anyone and each province should have the ability to host semi final games in my opinion and should be something the GAA should aspire to, plan and support. The GAA needs to look at infrastructure and future proofing key provincial marquee facilitates as an attainable aspiration and i hope they learn from the experience at PUC and actually prompt a development plan around this. As for the reporting on this when it comes to the quality of reporting on GAA fiance this is like so many sensationalist, very narrow and without proper analysis, just my opinion mind.

TheUsername (National) - 14/12/2018 13:21:52

Dubs Drive For 5 - Who Can Stop It? - 6 Like(s)
A string of teams could beat Dublin, Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, Kildare, Monhaghan, Kerry. Some of those teams will have a fresh approach next year under new management, some have supreme youth that will be augmented and added to. Galway: will build on an exceptional year of getting to a league final and only drawing Dublin in the semi they would have likely contested a final. McDaid and Silke are returning and are seriously players, while Galway have good underage coming through. Mayo: will be a different animal next year all the experience, rested, a new open expansive philosophy under Horan and the freshness that goes with that. The hipoe will be unearthing some new talent also. Donegal: very underrated in my opinion, some of the best players in Ireland in Murphy, McHugh, EBG, Thompson and Murphey and McBrearty. More then put it up to Dublin in games last year and were very unlucky in the draw for the S8's. Tyrone: All Ireland finalists, there or there abouts every year, if they can perfect their new system they will be a threat. Kildare: Still maintain they are a top outfit, they utterly dominated the U20 championship this year making light work of almost everyone. Have an absolute super star in Hyland coming through in addition to other players on that team to add to an already capable All Ireland quarterfinal squad. Monaghan, when are they not capable, will hope to build on a superb 2018. Kerry: have one foot in the S8's already coming out of Munster so will always be confident. Have a dream forward line and a couple of players in Clifford and O Shea making most inter county teams. New manager so will be hopeful, they need a defensive system and a couple of midfielders in my opinion but always a threat. I think the GAA will try and push the Dublin Vs Kerry narrative next year its hugely marketable. The thing about the above is its all a moving a target and we are judging things on how they were in 2018. In reality if you stand still you are left behind. Dublin evolve every year and will bring something different next year, in tactics and set up if you watched the game Vs he underdogs Dublin never made more then two hand passes, i think they are well into preparation for the new rule. Dublin gave 7 championship debuts last year, i expect some of those lads to kick on through the league. I would also be confident of a field of potential 8 new players being in contention through the O Byrne cup, aiming for league mins and breaking the panel. As Scully, Murch, Howard and a few others have proven in recent years if you can prove yourself through this pathway you can crack the squad and team. Hopefully Bernard and Diarmuid Connolly can be added to the panel this year as well.

TheUsername (National) - 05/11/2018 14:02:23

Football All Stars 2018 - 6 Like(s)

Replying To cavanman47:  "I think most people on here are well informed GAA fans and know the real reason behind that one"
Go ahead, I've heard 200 different "real reasons" rumors at this stage. No point hinting at something sinister or an innuendo beyond the lad taking a year out unless you can back it up.

TheUsername (National) - 06/11/2018 17:25:35

Football All Stars 2018 - 6 Like(s)

Replying To BigJoe14:  "Paul Clarke (Selector) and Brian Fenton and others liking tweets from Dublin trolls giving out that Cluxton didn't get the all star."
Perhaps Super Brian and Clarke think Cluxton was the better player. Don't see the harm in that.

TheUsername (National) - 06/11/2018 17:29:54

Leinster Football Championship - 6 Like(s)
We had a good run to be fair to us.

TheUsername (National) - 28/04/2019 18:42:05

Dublin Getting 2 Home Games In The Super 8s. Fair Or Unfair? - 6 Like(s)
Fair play to Donegal!! I agree, it's been flagged to death for a year now! Win, win for Dublin, we either get a road trip or we play in the Neller for our home game!!! This will be great for us, a bit of controversy always galvanizes this team. It's like poking a bear!! Whip it up!!

TheUsername (National) - 03/07/2018 22:30:56

If Your County Had An Official Slogan, What Would It Be? - 6 Like(s)
"We have all your Money"

TheUsername (National) - 28/03/2018 14:38:29

Paul Flynn Retires! - 6 Like(s)
Wow Flynner retired. Didnt see that coming. I didnt think when i saw him down in Cavan for our last league i would be watching his last appearance. Really sad news, but sounds like a back injury took his toll, still hes one of the first to retire of the stars of the Gilroy/Gavin teams that will always have a special place within Dublin GAA history. Full pelt he was the best and one of the most complete half forwards in the country, unmarkable at times, super fielder of a ball and capable of some sublime points, he chipped in more then once with some critical scores that changed the tide and momentum of games. Despite his powers maybe being on the wane in the last 2 or 3 seasons he was an absolute leader as well and always showed and drove the team forward, its no mistake he was called on often at critical moments in big games. What is really important to acknowledge is that he sacrificed his own games for the team so many times, his role changed from 2014 onwards following the Donegal semi and really became such a powerful workhouse for the system often doing the dirty defensive work to let others shine, critical to Dublins silverware in those years playing that role. Wish him all the every best in his retirement and his work in the GPA. He owes Dublin nothing and part of the greatest Dublin team of all the time. We look to him as one of our own. Legend, Gur raibh mile maith agat Big man.

TheUsername (National) - 01/05/2019 11:05:02

You Couldn't Pay Me To Go And Watch A Game Of Football - 6 Like(s)
Its an interesting point. Likely some truth in it in all honestly, i would be lying if i said that i have seem some teams playing Dublin and trying to keep the score down or have withered psychologically. I was watching the semi final against Galway and final against Tyrone over Christmas and both teams built up healthy leads, under normal circumstances those counties with those leads are winning games bu Dublin can turn a 5-7 point lead in three phases of play, the did in both those games. Then its containment from the opposition teams and the spectacle lowers. For your point though where does the responsibility lie. I would argue that Dublin are superb entertainment, i haven't left a Dublin match in about 12 years now and not been hugely entertained by the quality of football (maybe Donegal 2011 actually). We have seen attendances fall this year in key games that would traditionally have been close to full houses. But yet we have seen every team bar Tyrone come to Croke Park to play Dublin with a blanket defense or revert to it half way through the game to keep the score down. That really lowers the sense of excitement and general spectacle as the Dubs go about unpicking the lock. To be perfectly frank, while teams have a defeatist approach or change their natural game to playing Dublin their is a responsibility on other counties. Take Galway as an example they had great success with the defensive system largely throughout the league and championship, that was a yearly strategy, but did they honestly think they would turn up in Croke park in the heat of the summer with it and 1) score enough to beat Dublin and 2) keep Dublin out. Not having a go at Galway by the way, Galway started well then went itno their shell and psychologically withered and the game was over after 30 mins and the entertainment decreased. but it just illustrates the approach. Not having a go at Galway by the way, So while i acknowledge there is a border and fatigue with Dublin, Dublin are the most entertaining team in the championship in regard to the football they play and consistent standard in playing open and attractive football. Dublin still pull the biggest crowds, 8-15k + at league games and 50k for games in the latter stages of the championship. You do well in round of the championship or league not to have Dublin's game as the highest attendance. I know you are not criticizing Dublin here. I suppose my point is when it comes to Dublin and the fatigue and bordem where does the responsibility lie, is it up to other counties to move away from defensive systems and percentage cynical football for the sake of making games entertaining or is it about winning matches, or Dublin not to be so good or handicap in some way. For me i think many counties need to look at themselves and what they are contributing to the evolution of the game. Galway will feel they have had a great year getting to semi final and league final, but how their style of play and approach to playing Dublin and how they went into a defensive shell playing DUblin in the semi after 30 mins, was never going to win an All Ireland and they contribute to that cycle of apathy, frustration and bordem of Dublin winning again. So again where does the burden and responsibility lie? For quality Dublin, with one or two others are propping up the championship. My own opinion 2018 was a bit of an anominally. Kerry and Mayo had particularly bad years and latter games in the championship had teams with relatively small populations, as did the some of the provincial finals. A resurgent Mayo and Kerry 2019 to have a cut of the Dubs, will get man juices flowing again, cant wait.

TheUsername (National) - 28/12/2018 12:22:04

Kerry V Dublin - 6 Like(s)

Replying To realdub:  "I feel Kerry's desire and appetite for this game will be palpable and it will lead to a very tight physical game. Kingdom are 2/1 for this, get on it!"
For a home game in Tralee 2/1 against a bare bones Dublin team 3 weeks into training, all over that. Win/win

TheUsername (National) - 07/02/2019 10:47:41

GAA Coaching / Game Development Grants By County 2007-2018 - 6 Like(s)
Just leave this here. Some interesting breakdowns on the population vs GDF this year. Just one measure I might do a registered player breakdown when I get a chance. Monaghan GDF 124.000, Population of Monaghan 60.483 2.05 per head. Dublin GDF 1.3 mill, population 1.34 mill, ratio = 97 cent per head. Kerry GDF 197.600 euro, population of Kerry 147.000, ratio = 1.34 euro per head. Mayo GDF 134.29 euro, population of Mayo, 130.5k, ratio = 1.02 euro per head. Tyrone GDF 119.000 euro, population 177.9k = 66 cent per head Galway GDF 184.4k euro, population 258.0k = 71cent per head. Donegal GDF 130.2k euro, population 159.1k = 81 cent per head. Kildare GDF 341.3k euro, population 222.5k = 1.53 euro per head Roscommon GDF, 146k euro, population 66.5k = 2.2 euro per head. Cork GDF, 249k euro, population 542k = 45 cent per head. Meath GDF, 367.4k, population 195.0 = 1.88 euro per head.

TheUsername (National) - 17/02/2019 20:16:51

O'Byrne Cup - 6 Like(s)
The Dublin A & B's I believe are in the Caribbean. Best of luck to the C's.

TheUsername (National) - 12/01/2019 19:08:15