National Forum

Popular Posts from Whammo86

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Posters Crossing The Line - 16 Like(s)

Replying To greysoil:  "Have noticed an emerging unsavoury tone by some posters of late. Indeed, what is surprising is the posts that are being generated by users that would have appeared level headed before. There is no place for personal slights on players or indirectly on their families. Important to remember that these are amateurs giving a big chunk of their time to their counties & for our entertainment. Keep the slagging general. We never know the impact of flippant commentary. #Give respect. Get respect."
The post you refer to was not a personal slight on a player. The post was so obviously satirical. The David Clifford of the post bears next to no resemblance to the real David Clifford. The David Clifford of the post is a caricature and not even one of the real David Clifford. There was nothing specifically targeted at Clifford in that post at all. The character could have been named after any Kerry player and still have worked exactly the same. The target of the satire was categorically not David Clifford, the target of the satire was the Kerry posters who claim to be unable to compete with Dublin financially. The post was highlighting that Kerry players are hardly badly off themselves. I mean my god. I'm far from being an anti pc zealot and believe in respect for all, but we have to be able to allow for good natured humour also. There was just nothing unsavory about that post whatsoever.

Whammo86 (National) - 05/06/2019 05:41:02

Should Stag nights for Gaa players be banned in Summer? - 10 Like(s)

Replying To tomsmith:  "Tomsmith Cavan here

I just wonder would the Gaa be a great service to the Gaa players if a total ban was imposed on all GAA players participating in this so called stag night or indeed the twelve pubs night during the Summerr playing season. It could be banned at club level first and then if it was successful you could have a county wide ban
I suppose it would have to be a voluntary ban.
I know that the females among us ( The great Mrs T included) will say that hen nights will be the next thing to be banned.
But if you look at it currently team managers have to juggle between weedings, stag nights, hen nights, 18th birthday, 21 st and the latest is a getting together celebration"
100% right. Birthdays should also be banned. Weddings wtf are they all about anyway. In this day and age how can any man in his right mind commit the rest of his life to one woman anyway. I think the GAA needs to lobby the US govt to restrict J1 visas from anyone who has played GAA over the previous 24 months. Add it to the declaration slip, ffs! Have you ever been part of a terrorist organisation? Have you played Gaelic Games? Have you been detained for drug trafficking offences? These f8cking players, are their f8cking liberties. Having a life outside of football! F8ck sake. Balanced life, I'll balance your f8cking life for you.

Whammo86 (National) - 29/10/2016 11:14:33

Dublin V Louth - What A Farce - 10 Like(s)

Replying To TheUsername:  "County Dublin has a population of 1.345 mill people at the last census a chara. The exact formula for distribution isnt known in all honesty, for example i dont know why Kerry get significantly more then say Donegal or Mayo, who are counties of a similar make up and status. Personally i believe, demographics come into to a large extent, but perhaps more detailed then i have illustrated, for example i would like to hope that GAA use distribution to high figures of distribution in counties with a high population of a young demographic, targeting counties with a high demographic of minors. I dont think GAA membership comes into it much, why would provide GAA games development funding for people who are members. I would hope it is distributed however on discrepancies, i mean if there is 1.3 mill in Dublin and 39k registered players, that is a shockingly obvious priority for Games development. In truth no body really knows the formula the GAA use, i would suspect and hope its a bit of a hybrid on all of the above."
I tried to read up on this as much as I could. My perception is that there is not exact formula. The money is used in a couple of different ways. Some of it is for infrastructure development. A large amount of it is for coaching initiatives. In Dublin a lot is spent on paying GDOs. These guys are needed to organize the sheer number of kids that are coming down to the largest of clubs. County boards and Provincial councils make a case as to what they require to promote their games. Dublin GAA needs people on the ground. Those saying give that money to other counties, how are they going to use that money. What works in Dublin a part of the country with a population density that completely exceeds every other area of the country will not work in a more rural county. https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/tstblikbtwvqfubdiwpe.pdf This is an interesting document on the work being done. Dublin definitely have benefited from the money the GAA has put into them. I don't think anything should be done about it. In case people aren't aware there are new kids born in Dublin every year. There's a cost associated with getting them out and playing our games. I think the association just have to pay it. The county game does suffer as a result but I mean what can you do. If one county dwarfs the rest in population and have their act together they are going to be at the top table. Inter county football is certainly high profile but it isn't the be all and end all of our games. This idea that people need to be in counties that can compete for All Ireland's is rubbish. There are plenty of people like me from weak counties who get loads out of the game. I really detest some of the moaning about Dublin on here. It's so resentful, it's petty, it's narrow minded and takes no consideration of all the good going into young children's lives in Dublin GAA clubs many of which are situated in some economically deprived parts of the country.

Whammo86 (National) - 28/05/2019 18:17:12

Does Anyone Remember... - 10 Like(s)
Last year when there were posters on here who didn't rate Ciaran Kilkenny. He doesn't score enough, all he does is pass the ball 20 metres etc. There's some foolish rubbish gets thrown up on here, I'm glad the passing of time has shown how idiotic those comments were.

Whammo86 (National) - 03/09/2018 08:48:45

Dublin V Louth - What A Farce - 9 Like(s)

Replying To valley84:  "That's what millions pumped into a county gets you"
Those millions spent on getting tens of thousands of kids playing Gaelic games, those millions?

Whammo86 (National) - 26/05/2019 12:17:40

All the talk about Ulster!!!!Connacht is the strongest - 9 Like(s)

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "All ulterior lads think they have hardest strongest most competitive province but three Connacht teams in the last 8 and we seen tonight what the second strongest team in Connacht did to one of the best in Ulster. Well done Galway"
Oh ffs Seriously how many Ulster posters have come on here saying we've the hardest most competitive province in recent times. It was true 10 years ago and to a much lesser extent 5 years ago but it really hasn't been of late. The one thing about being from Ulster though is you have to win more games to get to the same stage and apart from a game against Antrim there aren't really any gimmes in Ulster championship. Great win for Galway. Great Connacht final win for Roscommon and it's great to see 3 Connacht teams in the last 8. Why can't you just be happy with that? Why do you have to go around slagging off supporters from Ulster counties. It's just so agro and unnecessary. The only thing that matters anyway is the county team. Good luck to Roscommon next weekend.

Whammo86 (National) - 23/07/2017 09:39:52

Glenswilly 0-03 St Eunans 0-02 - 9 Like(s)

Replying To waynoI:  "This was a full time score in a Donegal league game this afternoon. What do yiz think of that then ? Crazy."
Heard it was a cracker. Never more than a goal in it.

Whammo86 (National) - 24/07/2016 16:32:10

Super 8 General Discussion - 8 Like(s)

Replying To sam1884:  "I think by the end of this super 8 series the GAA will need to look at the project. Roscommon/Tyrone, Tyrone/Cork, Dublin/Roscommon, Dublin/Cork, Kerry, Donegal, Mayo/Meath will all be mismatches. Add matchday 3 in Group B to not relevant. This leaves us with the Mayo/Kerry/Donegal matches worth watching and even at that I'm not sure Kerry will be good enough to beat the other two. The super 8's was meant to be the gold chip event but with these fixtures it's going to be bad PR for the football championship. For me the semi finals will be: Dublin V Mayo Donegal V Tyrone"
My god what a pessimistic post. I'd be shocked if there were more than 3 points in every game you mention. Cork, Meath, Roscommon have all earned the right to be here and play the top teams. If they are to progress they have to play the best at some stage.

Whammo86 (National) - 08/07/2019 17:15:01

No Live TV Coverage For Round 1 Qualifiers - 8 Like(s)

Replying To The_Fridge:  "And we want a second tier all Ireland. This is the problem. No one wants to watch it.....just look at the hurling lower tiers."
No one wants to watch me playing Junior D championship. I'm still glad to play the game. A tier 2 championship would still be a competition played at a higher level than many of us on here have played at. There's value there for someone who wants to test themselves at a higher level. People sometimes forget that our games are for playing first and foremost. If someone then wants to watch it all the better. Get teams playing games and give them some reason to train and commit as much as they do.

Whammo86 (National) - 28/05/2019 20:40:36

Colm's Challenge - 8 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "How do you know we didn't care about parity for the last 120 years ? There was no HoganStand or social midia before 10/15 years ago."
There was the regular media. No one was calling for Kerry to be split when they were winning all around them. In hurling no one was calling for it during Kilkenny's dominance. Yes Dublin have advantages over other counties. The 6 counties had plenty of disadvantages over the years that have to a large extent continued to today. This is a current issue that doesn't get much attention. Rarely are the state of the game in Belfast or Derry hot talking points for these pundits. The state of hurling in Connacht and Ulster is a very rare talking point. You compare that to the number of threads on here talking about the Dubs and their advantages and it paints a clear picture to me that the motivation behind this is resentment that gets packaged up as a call for equity. It's pure bs and it really negatively impacts the quality of this forum in my opinion.

Whammo86 (National) - 24/11/2018 17:45:39

GAA Coaching / Game Development Grants By County 2007-2018 - 8 Like(s)
https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-spends-record-11-1m-on-coaching-and-games-development/ The Games Development outlay funded 345 coaches working in more than 600 schools coaching 360,000 children. 35 new coaches were deployed across Louth, Meath, Kildare, Wicklow, and Wexford as part of the new East Leinster Coaching Programme I think these conversations tend to be a bit fuzzy on facts. A big 1 being that Dublin doesn't even get close to having 48% of development money being spent on it. €1.3m of the total €9.6m in the accounts. Maybe Dublin were getting a disproportionate amount in years gone by. It's not as high as 48% of funds by the way and never has been. That number gets mistakenly trotted out as it only considers money paid directly to county boards and doesn't factor in that GDOs outside of Dublin are paid by the Provincial councils not the county boards. The GAA does seem to be trying to get a better balance. It's not as though they can go back in time and reallocate the resources. It's also hard to scale back on current commitments. The money is spent on people, it's their jobs. Money couldn't be scaled back further without redeploying GDOs geographically or by letting people go. What more can the association actually do not that it isn't already doing.

Whammo86 (National) - 18/02/2019 17:23:23

Noelle Healy Transfer - 8 Like(s)
I think people should be able to transfer to whoever the hell they want to.

Whammo86 (National) - 13/02/2019 18:05:23

GAA Should Campaign For A United Ireland. - 7 Like(s)

Replying To yew_tree:  "[quote=Whammo86:  "[quote=cavanman47:  "Many will be silent, and many on here are calling for the GAA to be silent. I, like yourself and most on this island, would welcome a United Ireland. I am not a Sinn Fein supporter and wouldn't use them or any party as the most appropriate platform for the expression of a nationalist standpoint. The GAA on the other hand, as I pointed out in a previous post, would represent one of the biggest (if not the biggest) outlets for cross-community harmony in a united Ireland. For this reason, and the fact that the vast majority of their members are of the nationalist persuasion, they have a responsibility not to be silent on this issue."
I doubt love the term nationalist. I would be very much of the broad persuasion that Northern Ireland would be better served as being part of a united Ireland rather than a part of the UK. It would still depend on the details of how that was negotiated. I couldn't be for a united Ireland at all costs. A united Ireland at the end of the day doesn't put food on my table or anyone else's table. To be stable a united Ireland would have to work and work for a large majority of the country across the entire island. I am a member of the GAA not because it is a nationalist organisation, but because it is a sporting cultural organisation. That is why despite being broadly in favour of a united Ireland you or Joe Brolly or anyone else should not be leveraging my membership of the organisation for your own agendas. If you don't like the current political parties but want a united Ireland set up your own party and appeal to me and others through that. The right channel to discuss the shape of a united Ireland is in the political arena not the GAA."]Good post and it is after all About quality of life and food on the table as you say. The DUP though seem rooted to the past where it's all about flags and attachment to the queen etc...utter nonsense."]The DUP are pretty much the antithesis of everything I stand for. I wrote a scathing post on them in response to bloodyban saying he'd vote for them over SF any day. It didn't get through. I was vocal on here last year when Arlene was praised for going to the Ulster final. Which was in my mind very much an empty stunt. The problem is though a large number of people still vote for them. It does show me that there's not really a place for me within some independent Northern Irish state. Unfortunately it also shows that a united Ireland is not tenable in the near term. I don't see anyway that the DUP's sizeable supporr could accept being part of a united Ireland in spite of it likely being better for them. That's the reason why a united Ireland can't be stable at this point.

Whammo86 (National) - 23/03/2019 10:19:18

Leinster Football Gate Receipts Down Nearly 30% - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0115/1023316-leinster-football-gate-receipts-down-nearly-30/ And very interestingly leinster hurling brought in more revenue then the football. If the hurling keeps getting more competitive and the football less so, then this gap will only widen. The leinster football championship used to be a massive money spinner but not anymore. How did the GAA not see this coming?"
I think gates receipts get too much attention in the GAA. They are somewhat fleeting and are hugely variable on the specifics at play. You look at last years Leinster smaller counties performed well. If you have Meath and Kildare only playing 1 game each in the competition it's going to hurt gate receipts. It doesn't mean that's a bad thing, or something that needs to be addressed. It's excellent that Carlow, Longford had big wins in the competition and Laois reached the final for the first time in a while. As regards Hurling the new format was always going to be attractive for fans. The test of it will be 3 or 4 years down the line will it still be shiny and new and popular if there are regularly similar results from year to year or if Galway continue to hold a persistent upper hand over the rest of the field.

Whammo86 (National) - 16/01/2019 19:59:19

Derry Vs Antrim - 7 Like(s)

Replying To oakleafersir:  "Derry do not belong in division four; we are a division two team at most currently. But our issue is that we don't respect opposition enough, we think that we just have to turn up half the time but now we have players that left in the past back in the panel who have been missed vitally; the youth in team is scary, the potential of the young lads is class, so if that continues we know that we have a bright future in Derry Football. Antrim have a few good players and it's always good to have a go at out neighbors, I see us winning at the end of it. Derry +4"
Derry will likely win. You do deserve to be in division 4 though. You'd 7 games in the league last season to show that you didn't and you couldn't.

Whammo86 (National) - 20/01/2019 17:21:59

Meath taking on Dublin subs...... - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "This is a new low for Meath football
I may never love Meath, but i respect them. Perhaps more than I respect any of the other 31.
However, when I read this article on the main page, that Meath are basically recruiting lads who cant get a game for Dublin.with all that goes with the Dublin Meath rivalry...
I dunno. Meath lads, is this where its at?!
Jesus!

(Merry Christmas to all)"
Not much wrong with it in my book. If it's within the rules it's all fine. Dublin are happy to use players who've played their whole club career for Ashbourne, why shouldn't Meath use the best players available to them? A bit too much pride has probably hindered Meath over the last 15, they were slow to adapt to the modern game.

Whammo86 (National) - 22/12/2016 13:08:46

Rules - Here We Go Again ! - 7 Like(s)

Replying To MillerX:  "Quality is in the eye of the beholder. The game has football in its name so the foot must play some part in the game. I know you can reply that the actual goal must be kicked but this is not entirely true as a loose ball may be flicked or punched to the net. In essence what you want could mean that once the ball is kicked out a goal can result in several handpasses and a flick to the net......hard to describe that as football."
It's played with a football. What percentage of scores are made with a kick? Rugby and American football are codes of football that have much less kicking. This whole the name of the game is football argument is so stupid. We have a game, when you have 2 evenly matched teams that go at each other we have a really great game. We probably had fewer good meaningful games last season because the dubs were just so dominant. If a rule makes the game worse it's a stupid rule regardless of whether it means more kicking of the ball.

Whammo86 (National) - 07/01/2019 15:38:54

GAA Athletes For A NO Vote - 7 Like(s)
I posted on this last night and it didn't get through. It's disgraceful. No one should be using the GAA title in the name of political lobbying. I find it pretty appalling that a coaching camp was run as a promotional event for this also.

Whammo86 (National) - 22/04/2018 13:25:32

You Couldn't Pay Me To Go And Watch A Game Of Football - 7 Like(s)
I really think that football as a game to play is vastly superior now than it was 15 years ago or so when I was moving into adult football. You are way more involved in the play on a consistent basis. I think this year was a bit of a dull year to watch senior intercounty as Dublin were just so far ahead of the nearest challenger. Some of the games over the 5 years before that were absolutely great to watch. Most matches between 2 of Kerry, Mayo and Dublin have been fantastic. There's plenty of good club action to watch though. I think football is a great game still. I don't know if the problem is the rules by the way. I think there's just a certain amount of over exposure and too many one sided games. During Kilkenny's hey day I struggled to have any cares in hurling, the last 2 years I've definitely enjoyed it more. The competitive landscapes change in each country de from year to year. The excitement generated will change also

Whammo86 (National) - 19/12/2018 15:19:05

GAA Should Campaign For A United Ireland. - 7 Like(s)

Replying To cavanman47:  "Many will be silent, and many on here are calling for the GAA to be silent. I, like yourself and most on this island, would welcome a United Ireland. I am not a Sinn Fein supporter and wouldn't use them or any party as the most appropriate platform for the expression of a nationalist standpoint. The GAA on the other hand, as I pointed out in a previous post, would represent one of the biggest (if not the biggest) outlets for cross-community harmony in a united Ireland. For this reason, and the fact that the vast majority of their members are of the nationalist persuasion, they have a responsibility not to be silent on this issue."
I doubt love the term nationalist. I would be very much of the broad persuasion that Northern Ireland would be better served as being part of a united Ireland rather than a part of the UK. It would still depend on the details of how that was negotiated. I couldn't be for a united Ireland at all costs. A united Ireland at the end of the day doesn't put food on my table or anyone else's table. To be stable a united Ireland would have to work and work for a large majority of the country across the entire island. I am a member of the GAA not because it is a nationalist organisation, but because it is a sporting cultural organisation. That is why despite being broadly in favour of a united Ireland you or Joe Brolly or anyone else should not be leveraging my membership of the organisation for your own agendas. If you don't like the current political parties but want a united Ireland set up your own party and appeal to me and others through that. The right channel to discuss the shape of a united Ireland is in the political arena not the GAA.

Whammo86 (National) - 22/03/2019 22:15:56