National Forum

Popular Posts from TheHermit

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

GOAT - 11 Like(s)
Must be great WiFi on the Hill :D Equalling a record doesn't make you better esp when another county has done it twice.

TheHermit (National) - 02/09/2018 17:23:56

Who Can Challenge Dublin In 2019 - 10 Like(s)

Replying To realdub:  "Ah come on lad, throw us an auld congrats there will ya, and maybe the hermit will follow suit :D"
Congrats to Dublin and joining an elite bunch of counties in achieving 4 in a row. It shows that this team have a remarkable hunger undiminished by so much success - really speaks to an amazing culture being cultivated in that dressing room. But let's be honest, the reason the rest of the GAA world is so pessimistic and depressed is because Dublin represent something Gaelic Games have never seen before. Comparisons with previous Kerry teams of the Kilkenny hurlers are wide of the mark. It's not a case that this is just a remarkable bunch of 10 of 15 players who, once they retire, will see Dublin slip back into the chasing back as happened with other successful teams before. Dublin are now a semi-professional outfit operating at another level to every other county, even the likes of Kerry, Cork, Tyrone etc. They have a massive support structure in terms of facilities, financial backing, backroom expertise that no other county can match, short of bankrupting themselves. Look at what Mayo have been spending on their senior team trying to keep up. Highlighting this is not bregudgery or spreading falsehoods - it is simply telling the truth. If it was Kerry benefiting like this, Dublin fans would be up in arms along with the rest of the country and rightly so. If the powers that be inside Croke Park maintain one team up on a pedestal like this how does that reflect one the overall ethos of the GAA today. I know people are sick and tired of hearing all this but it is a huge issue, perhaps the most critical issue, facing the GAA and it is not going away. As someone above said it really is time the other County Boards presented a united front to Croke Park and forced them to end the treatment of Dublin GAA before we are here in 10 years time watching a Dublin team win it's 12th All-Ireland in 15 years.

TheHermit (National) - 04/09/2018 11:22:31

Interesting picture from Sunday's game - 8 Like(s)

Replying To waynoI:  "http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1208243/

Kerry and the dark arts. Who'd have thought it.

What do ya think of that then ?"
You know there's a way you conduct yourself in victory as well as defeat that tells a lot.

For example setting up this topic and as justification posting up a photo of Walsh with his mouth open to Cluxton.

I suppose from your vantage point you missed the dirty stroke Small pulled as he was being substituted at the same time as Donaghy was coming off? Classy stuff, I was three rows behind the Dublin subs and everyone around us saw it as clear as day.

But I suppose you don't want to talk about that sort of thing do you? It wouldn't sit well with the whole heroic Dublin and evil Kerry theme you want to indulge today.

You won the game, we lost. We accept our defeat and we go home and lick our wounds for the winter ahead.

When we win we don't spend a week on here posting up gloating threads and when we lose we don't come on here b*tching to all and sundry.

In the aftermath of Sunday's game we could be on here starting topics about referee selections, decisions, Dublin's 'Dark Arts' etc etc but we don't.

We don't because we are Kerry people and we know that in the grand scheme of things you win some and you lose some but there's always another game, another championship, another All-Ireland down the road.

So Waynol why don't you grow up, be grateful you have a great team to support at the moment and be a bit gracious in victory.

TheHermit (National) - 01/09/2016 10:52:34

Kerry V Dublin - 8 Like(s)

Replying To Dubh_linn:  "Ah , sure you'll probably get subsidized for that misfortune. Poor farmers can claim for pretty much anything now. The Dubs will fork out for ye again. Great little gravy train."
Sure isn't half of Dublin sitting at home on Government subsidies that are paying for their sky sports packages :D

TheHermit (National) - 07/02/2019 13:25:19

AOS - A passenger who cost Mayo All Irelands - Brolly - 7 Like(s)

Replying To why:  "So players ability is based on if they would make the Dublin team or not? How long did you play inter-county football for? Seeing as you're such a great judge"
Ah now, don't be expecting too much from poor old Liam. I mean this is the same fella that has given us such classic topics on here as the ongoing disgrace that Cluxton wasn't footballer of the year every year since 2011 or the disgrace that Dublin don't have 15 All Stars every year Sure even Gooch or Maurice Fitz in their prime wouldn't get on this Dubs team don't you know. Eoghan O'Gara, mind, is one of the most outstanding talents of his generation ...

TheHermit (National) - 27/01/2018 13:48:44

2019 Division 1 League Final. - 7 Like(s)
This really is a hard game to call especially as Mayo handed Kerry their only defeat in the League. A more battle hardened and physical Mayo were able to impose themselves on a younger Kerry team that night and yet the weather was so appalling that the match became a lottery and in the end, for all their dominance, Mayo only won by a late goal. Will a dry day and the expanses of Croke Park further underline Mayo physical advantages or conversely will it work to the advantage of a pacier Kerry side? It's set-up to be a great game. I also think a lot of Kerry supporters will travel to it so we should have a decent crowd, esp with the hurling beforehand. From a Kerry point of view I'm delighted to see our young lads getting to play a serious rival, in front of a big crowd with silverware on the line. This really should have a championship intensity to it and could be Kerry's last serious examination before the Super 8's if Cork and Tipp's trajectories keep on their downward spiral though Clare might offer more a challenge. Given that this rematch with Mayo comes so soon after our last clash its going to be fascinating to see how much Peter Keane and the players have learnt from the reversal in Tralee. The one lesson I hope they have learned is the need to stand up to the physical challenge Mayo represent. AOS bossed our lads around in Tralee and can't be allowed impose himself like that again. It's up to the likes of Jack Barry to take the game to him. Midfield remains an array of concern for Kerry and we lack cover here. Tralee proved Mayo have the advantage in the middle and we need to negate that. But we have forwards that should cause any defence nightmares and if they click, as they did at times in Roscommon, we should have a great chance. Overall, I think this game could tell us a lot of how close or far away we are from being serious contenders this summer. I also expect Keane to stick with the players that have got us this far so while Clifford and possibly JOD could start, the rest of the team will be similar to what we have seen all League. For Mayo, its excellent work to make a final after rotating so much of their team over the seven games and given that dip against Dublin and Galway. While I know the League is a secondary concern for them and us, I would echo other posters and wonder why Mayo would not be going all out now to win this game. The psychological impact of claiming national silverware in Croke Park for a side that have lost so many finals here cannot be underestimated IMO. For me its too close to call, but I expect this Kerry team to turn up and perform, unlike the last time we crossed paths with Mayo in Croker! I also expect them to fight to the end, as Keane has certainly instilled this admirable trait. Really looking forward to it now.

TheHermit (National) - 26/03/2019 16:08:31

Forum Becoming Boring - 7 Like(s)
Now now the 5 in a row needs the asterisk (achieved with the aid of at least 17 million+ of special GAA funding, completed by playing only 4 games outside of their home ground). Given those provisos any country wining a single All-Ireland should be a bigger story ;D I wonder will this post get passed the censors :D

TheHermit (National) - 14/04/2019 14:29:15

Marc O'Se - 7 Like(s)

Replying To shoulderghost:  "Bye bye Mark O'Se, and thank you...Sheer class! 16 seasons at the highest level is crazy in this day and age. Those O'Se's were a different breed though. You can examine all the great footballing families that ever represented any county at the highest level, none, NONE even comes close to those O'Se's!"
22 years or there abouts of at least one of the brother O'Se's on the Kerry team sheet, its going to be a strange strange feeling never seeing any of them line out in the Green and Gold again. Seems like once you enter your 30s you find all your hero's departing stage left - Darragh, Tomas, Marc, Declan, Galvin, Mike McCarthy, Tom O'Sullivan, ROG, Paul O'Connell, Robbie Keane etc, etc Of course new players will emerge to lay claim to the voids they have left behind. But I often wonder if, as a sports fan, you ever adore any star as much as you adored those first ones you made as your heroes. Maybe its a bit like the first time you fall in love, do you ever real feel that way about any woman/man again??

TheHermit (National) - 12/10/2016 13:44:33

Kerry Vs Tyrone - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Kingdomson:  "All the Dublin games will be shown live and the only Kerry game scheduled to be shown live is their game against Dublin. Not sure for Tyrone. We're all equal officially of course but some are more equal than others. Money talks."
Yerra surely lads the penny (pardon the pun) has dropped for all of us at this stage. It's not the GAA anymore its D-GAA :D

TheHermit (National) - 23/01/2019 13:50:53

Kieran Donaghy retires - 6 Like(s)
http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news_detail/10043567/ Can't even imagine Kerry football without our Fear Ard, the last link with our great team of the 2000s too. Why oh why do all good things have to end, I thought he would go on forever... What a legend, what a player, what a man - a Rockie to the core and one of the finest servants to wear the famous green and gold and above all, a fighter to the end. God be good to you Kieran, you King in a Kingdom of Kings :(

TheHermit (National) - 11/09/2018 10:57:35

Ominous Summer Ahead - 6 Like(s)
Granted Dublin have great players, are they better however than those that peppered the Kerry or Tyrone teams of the 2000s. I don't think so. So you're left looking for other explanations for Dublin's dominance. For me a major one is the large professional backroom team they have. Dublin are as close to professionally trained, conditioned and prepared as this sport has seen. Where is the money to pay these people for their services coming from? Why do Dublin have that money and other counties don't? Didn't Gavin even add to his support team in January by bringing on board a video annalist from the soccer code? I don't often agree with Brolly but he made a good point when he said Dublin have everything in their backroom team bar a gynecologist. Playing at effectively a home ground obviously contributes to their success in the Championship, I don't think anyone can deny this. Look at Kerry's own record for games in Killarney. What about my point concerning individuals officiating massive Championship games involving Dublin who live in Dublin and have clear links to Dublin GAA clubs? The Premiership stood down a referee in 2016 when Lecister were closing in on their title because he admitted to having previously going to a Lecister home game as a spectator. The Six Nations stood down the touch judge for the Ireland v England game this year as he had been involved in training with the English team. I'd like to know if Dublin posters, or others, think it's ok that this goes on in the GAA?? I don't think any fair minded individual can look at how much the deck is stacked in Dublin's favor these past few years and not bear it in mind that when judging how great a side they are or on a wider point question what the GAA is at in allowing it to continue. Listen it's been Kerry's worst decade since the 1990s, and I don't think the team we've had the last couple of years would have won much in any era. But there's one or two games they might have caught Dublin. Mayo of course are the county that should feel most aggrieved at these little advantages that have got Dublin over the line ahead of the rest.

TheHermit (National) - 03/04/2018 20:56:11

2019 Division 1 League Final. - 6 Like(s)
So I'm reading Mayo 'destroyed' Kerry yesterday and now our young side are overrated and will do nothing come the summer. Fair enough if the people typing these comments believe them, dampening the expectations surrounding this young side before the summer is no bad thing! Congrats to Mayo they wanted this more and we couldn't match their physicality and street smarts. They were the better team and we let them in for three really soft goals which was the winning of the game. Our forwards didn't click at all and we made some crazy errors like kicking passes to Mayo players under no pressure. We also left several points behind us in the first half by shooting short or not taking scorable chances. And yet we still should have gone ahead there in extra time only for Clifford to fluff his lines. I'm not disappointed at all with yesterday, its been a great League campaign and though we have issues, we also have shown great potential. I expect us to be there or there about come Sept. Onwards and upwards for this next generation of Kerry footballers :D

TheHermit (National) - 01/04/2019 21:23:31

Division One 2017 - 6 Like(s)
That's a fine pitch ye have up there lads, thank God the rain held off. We worryingly faded out again around the 55 min mark, this has become something of a trait of Kerry teams of late. But fair play to Roscommon they battled back and were unlucky not to get some result. I can see why the home support might have been irked by the ref. This time last year ye looked the team to beat but we all know what happened in the Championship so maybe it's no harm flattering to deceive in the League (we've certainly been doing it long enough!!). I'd be expecting Roscommon to be in the shake up come the Connacht final if ye get a full squad fit and ready. Also kudos to Kevin McStay on League Sunday shooting from the hip, I thought those comments last week were ridiculous considering that Roscommon have had a number of outside mangers in the recent past. As for ourselves we need to be 70-80% better than we were yesterday to put some manners on the Dubs in two weeks, a tall order!

TheHermit (Roscommon) - 06/03/2017 10:21:19

Kerry V Monaghan - 6 Like(s)
Just about thawed out from that yesterday! Well done to the Kerry lads, we were pretty poor for the first half and in truth were probably second best over much of the game but the minute they got their noses in front they stepped on the gas and left Monaghan for dead. Given how Fitzmaurice used take the League, its a little strange after all these years to see a Kerry team with 5 wins and a League final all but assured. While the League is always just a means to an end Jack O'Connor made a habit of going well in the spring any summer we won a title and I think it's something that was wrongly forgotten about under Eamon.You can't just turn things on in the summer if you've been poor before then. Especially for a young team like this, this League campaign will bring them on no end. We still have a lot of issues, goalie still inexperienced, midfield is a concern and when our backs are up against the quality Monaghan have they struggled. No one down here is getting carried away but a League final will be a great test for the lads going into the April break. It will give us a decent barometer as to where we are and could be our last proper competitive match if Munster turns out to be as uncompetative as it was last year. Hope the Monaghan fans got back safe and sound, fair play to the numbers that made that long journey given the horrible weather. Their game against Cavan next week is going to be a real do or die affair now between both!! Anyway I hoped ye enjoyed the hurling too, I know ye don't see much of it up yer end of the country :D

TheHermit (National) - 04/03/2019 10:57:43

The Super 8 - 6 Like(s)

Replying To TheUsername:  "Exactly Parnell Park game is the fair solution to be fair no one has said it won't be. It shouldn't be up to Dublin to rescue the GAA financially. It is a bit ironic though, everyone wants more money, but then everyone would enjoy a petty win about Dublin not playing in Croke Park."
A strange phrase you have used -, 'enjoy a petty win about Dublin' - are you suggesting there is something 'petty' about wanting all eight counties who qualify to face the same challenge on the field of play? At present the system will mean that Dublin have effectively two home games, where the crowd will be 80%+ in their favour (with all the influence that gives in terms of team morale and influencing refereeing decisions). As any fair minded individual can see this is a distinct advantage over every other county. There are plenty of grounds in Munster which have the capacity to accommodate Dublin's season ticket allocation and have room left over for a few thousand more of their supporters. It would also mean the Dublin County Board having to do what every other County Board has to do come the Championship - put their hands in their pockets and pay to transport and accommodate their senior county footballers on match day. Heaven knows they have all the money in the world to pay for it!

TheHermit (National) - 14/04/2018 12:29:17

Kerry V Dublin - 6 Like(s)

Replying To Dubh_linn:  "Thank you for what is probably the most level headed honest and fair assessment of what happened. You sound a decent sort unlike some of the embarrassing offerings from so called Kerry supporters."
Yerra I don't see any Kerry poster calling a fella a belle-end, nor laughing at a 19 year old being hospitalized, nor posting scatter-gun insults late on a Friday night. Let he who is without sin and all that good stuff ;D

TheHermit (National) - 10/02/2019 19:13:52

2019 National League - 5 Like(s)
Second time trying to post this for some reason: Well lads in case I ever take this little forum of ours for granted can I just say thank God we have some place to ourselves. Reading the posts from the usual crew on the main page after the game yesterday would give anyone an ulcer! Anyway a fantastic night in Tralee, great result and a performance we were all hoping for and more. Thought we were the far better team and the end should never have been so close.I see from Peter Keane's interview after that he too felt the two goals we gave up were soft but they tightened things up well in the second half from that point of view. What was so evident last night was the footballing philosophy Keane has, pace and power and looking to transition from defence into attack in the flick of a switch. Some of this play by Kerry at times in the first half was memorizing. This side also has character and mettle in abundance, what a great sign to see them go up the field and register a score straight after conceding both goals. Overall the defence, bar the goal slip ups, was really solid and they tackled with relish and intensity. Jack Sherwood had a great match and Paul Murphy was, as always, everywhere. Crowley and O'Sullivan were loose at times and Peter might have been lucky not to get black carded at times. The midfield battle was hard fought, we just about kept our own but you feel if this was the summer and we were playing a Dublin championship team it would be a different story. Much more to do in this sector of the field. Not much more can be said of Seanie, what a beautiful striker of the ball. But Dara Moynihan stand up and take a bow, what a performance and a wonderful point from distance in that first half that was worth the €15 alone. Gavin O'Brien showed what all the fuss is about and as for SOB, I said before that I felt he needed a big game and he delivered. I hope we can figure out a way of putting Griffin somewhere on the field as he is an animal. Paul Geaney not quite there yet at the minute but class is permanent and all that. Kerry faded in the second half, understandable given how much training they are probably doing. I feared we were going to throw the game away but they showed great composure to get the winning score. And that was some scoreline to put up on a wet and icy Feb night, it would win you most summer games with ease! As I said in another post I thought Deegan was woeful and gifted Dublin 5 or 6 scorable frees for phantom fouls. But then again looking back at the game in the pub, Dublin could have had a penalty too near the end so I suppose it evened out a little. I have to ask what is Tommy Walsh doing playing so far from goal? It was very puzzeling to see him as the lone forward up there at times in the second half. He has no pace left so what he is meant to do is beyond me. If he plays he has to play stuck next to the square. The best thing now is we are surely home and hosed in D1 for another year. 4 games to try new things and new players. There's a League final place there for the taking too if they want it. If Mayo keep things up, it will make for some cracker of a game back in the Park on 16 March. Will probably miss the Galway game, please God TG4 might show it. But looking forward to welcoming Monaghan to Killarney. We won't get carried away at all and convince ourselves we are All-Ireland winners in waiting, but with a bounce of a ball the right way we will hopefully have a big say come the summer.

TheHermit (Kerry) - 10/02/2019 20:20:03

NEW President - 5 Like(s)

Replying To Cavan_Slasher:  "What did Kelly do that was so good?"
Rule 42 and all that, it's 10 years since that famous weekend when France came to Croke Park. Introduced meaningful lower tier national hurling competitions. All Ireland junior and intermediate club championships. Not a bad couple of years work by any strech

TheHermit (National) - 23/02/2017 17:02:01

Kerry V Dublin - 5 Like(s)

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Kerry in all the club finals again this year , their minors have done five in a row their hot favourites to win minor and '21 this year and would of walk '21 last year if they'd Clifford and O Se, yet our domination is suppose to be ruining the Gaa, someone explain where our domination is? At one level is domination of the whole game of football? Kerry are not dominating at only one level and trust me it's coming soon."
Now now, don't you boys have some cheques to cash? I assume at this stage ever season ticket holder in Dublin gets free transport to away games and €100 spending money :D

TheHermit (National) - 05/02/2019 11:33:38

Kerry Investment paying off? - 5 Like(s)

Replying To Gael85:  "http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/kerry-step-up-their-pursuit-of-excellence-1.2220057 Another trophy in the cabinet for Kerry tonight winning the u21 Munster and odds on favourite to win u21 AI Throw in they have won last 3 minor All Irelands, 3 Hogans Cup. Dr Crokes winning club All Ireland and their clubs dominant at intermediate and junior club level. With the Kerry Group investment over last year few years it is no coincidence Kerry are starting to dominate football at all levels. We will soon see them take over the mantle from Dublin and fair play to them, They have produced great young players like Killian Spillane, Andrew & Jack Barry, David Clifford, Dara Moynihan, David Shaw, Jason Foley, Shane Ryan and Micheal Burns who will be superstars in next year or two . Is Kerry investment paying off??"
IF and WHEN these lads win an U-21 and then move on to win a Senior All-Ireland we can sing their praises - for the moment they're just a decent young team but there's plenty of counties around that have decent underage teams. Dublin's record underage isn't exactly terrible now is it? And yer clubs do very well for themselves too. So the GAA/AIG/Skoda/Super Valu/Ballgowan and the other 20+ sponsors gravy train is oiling the Dublin machine nicely.

TheHermit (National) - 30/03/2017 09:36:57