National Forum

Popular Posts from TheHermit

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

GOAT - 11 Like(s)
Must be great WiFi on the Hill :D Equalling a record doesn't make you better esp when another county has done it twice.

TheHermit (National) - 02/09/2018 17:23:56

Kildare Maintain Underage Superiority In Leinster - 10 Like(s)
So it's not enough to post this in every second thread already going, you post up a new thread specially too? And they wonder why this forum is going to pot and is little more than the Dublin only club at this stage...

TheHermit (National) - 06/07/2019 22:52:13

Sean Cavanagh Kerry Fans Dogs/Animals - 10 Like(s)

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Wow Sean didn't hold back; Thoughts posters?"
I can't think of any player who has tried so hard and so fast to completely wipe the memory of what a great footballer he was with the petty and frankly foolish punditry he has indulged in both on RTE and for whatever red top gives him a set of crayons. To call it 'patronizing' that Kerry fans after a game wanted to show Mickey Harte some solidarity and support after a horrific time in his private life is a truly disgraceful comment. What should we have done Sean, hiss and boo at you all after the match? I'm sure you'd never have written an article then! I hope our young team can serve up a big dollop of humble pie this weekend for his next appearance on the Sunday Game...

TheHermit (National) - 11/07/2019 13:02:33

Who Can Challenge Dublin In 2019 - 10 Like(s)

Replying To realdub:  "Ah come on lad, throw us an auld congrats there will ya, and maybe the hermit will follow suit :D"
Congrats to Dublin and joining an elite bunch of counties in achieving 4 in a row. It shows that this team have a remarkable hunger undiminished by so much success - really speaks to an amazing culture being cultivated in that dressing room. But let's be honest, the reason the rest of the GAA world is so pessimistic and depressed is because Dublin represent something Gaelic Games have never seen before. Comparisons with previous Kerry teams of the Kilkenny hurlers are wide of the mark. It's not a case that this is just a remarkable bunch of 10 of 15 players who, once they retire, will see Dublin slip back into the chasing back as happened with other successful teams before. Dublin are now a semi-professional outfit operating at another level to every other county, even the likes of Kerry, Cork, Tyrone etc. They have a massive support structure in terms of facilities, financial backing, backroom expertise that no other county can match, short of bankrupting themselves. Look at what Mayo have been spending on their senior team trying to keep up. Highlighting this is not bregudgery or spreading falsehoods - it is simply telling the truth. If it was Kerry benefiting like this, Dublin fans would be up in arms along with the rest of the country and rightly so. If the powers that be inside Croke Park maintain one team up on a pedestal like this how does that reflect one the overall ethos of the GAA today. I know people are sick and tired of hearing all this but it is a huge issue, perhaps the most critical issue, facing the GAA and it is not going away. As someone above said it really is time the other County Boards presented a united front to Croke Park and forced them to end the treatment of Dublin GAA before we are here in 10 years time watching a Dublin team win it's 12th All-Ireland in 15 years.

TheHermit (National) - 04/09/2018 11:22:31

The Dubs, The Monies & The Prejudices - 10 Like(s)

Replying To superbluedub:  "Another nonsense post kid , undefeated in Kerry since 1995 !! . yea beat hurling Counties and a Tyrone team in 2012 well past there best , when did you beat Mayo Sligo and Longford at home in the championship ? as for beating Dublin in a neutral ground , whats wrong with you kid , we are discussing Kerry being undefeated in Kerry since 1995 -:)"
Yes sure Cork have won nothing in football and were never a top team :) The more posters like yourself and your buddy Joker (a perfect Nom de plume there) attempt to talk about anything GAA related outside the capital or pre 2011 for that matter, the more your ignorance shines through. Give us a few more red thumbs there lads, there's about 5 or 6 of ye who would dispute someone typing Dublin is the largest urban centre in Ireland these times, ha ha.

TheHermit (National) - 02/07/2019 22:56:16

All Ireland Final - Who You Shouting For? - 9 Like(s)

Replying To avonali:  "IT is indeed. I think there are a couple of factors at play. 1. Most neutrals would love to see a a radical shift in the status quo. If Kerry think that the rest of the country are craving a Kerry win on the basis that change is good they are mistaken. Kerry have won 37 times and another Kerry win would just be like a routine changing of the guard. It would be like swapping seats on the Titanic. If Dublin were playing Mayo, Cork, Galway or say Down, then I think most posters would support them rather than the Dubs. 2. I really believe there was a time when Kerry were the aristocrats of football in the sense that could win matches based on skill and athleticism alone. They were tough but not 'dirty'. I think there is a perception that those in influence in Kerry football believed that in order to match the toughness of Tyrone or Donegal that they had to change this perception of themselves as a clean team. Hence the frequency with which recent Kerry teams have got themselves embroiled in brawls and the 'dark arts' in an effort to 'put it up' to other teams. I think it's unthinkable that in the 80s or 90s a Kerry player would fishhook an opponent. This may have altered our perception of them to the point where the tag 'aristocrat' no longer seems appropriate. I mean no offence when I write that it's just that is how I see the evolution of Kerry teams over the the past decade. 3. I don't think HS is representative of the feelings of the country at large. This is a place where debate can get lively and people get defensive of their own counties. Unfortunately some of us go overboard and some of the posts by Kerry posters in particular seemed quite bitter and their claims unjustifiable. As far as I know Cluxton, Jack Mcaffrey, Brian Fenton et al. went to their jobs this morning. They are not professional footballers. Fact. I think it's regrettable also that some Kerry posters believe that a Dublin win spells the end of GAA football. Would they have been saying that in 1982 had the won the five in a row. They went on to win the next three All-Irelands from 83 on. That would have been 9 in a row. Would that have been good for football? The notion that the GAA wants Dublin to keep winning for financial reasons is utter nonsense. Continued Dublin success will affect the gate receipts. If money was the bottom line surely they'd go all out to stop the Dubs 4. The Kerry attempt to raise concerns over the appointment of David Gough left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. Kerry fans may feel they have a case but to other fans it seemed like a cynical ploy to influence Gough in advance of the final. Sin a bhfuil.."
Good God but that is some piece of writing!!!!! To think a supporter of a team that choke-holds players, and systematically drags down all their opponents on kick-outs is preaching against the dark arts of Kerry. A fishhook from 10 years ago and not a word of Philly or Johnny Cooper :D Anyway, look this place is La La land. Never in all my years going to GAA games have I meet any hatred of Kerry except from the odd Mayo fan. But this forum seems to be overrun with Kerry bashers and its due to a number of factors IMO: Probably more Dubs on here than any other county and they hate being reminded by us of the unfair ways so much of their success has been achieved by. Someone called it 'bitter tripe', my friend all we are doing is telling you the truth that is out there in black and white if you choose to open your eyes to it. Money plus Home advantages = greater chance of winning, its not rocket science!! You've got Dub posters masquerading as being from other counties for whatever joy or entertainment that gives them. You've got your typical a$re kissers and people who just like to attract themselves to success who'll laud whoever is winning and at the minute its Dublin. You've got the substantial we hate Kerry brigade on here embittered by years of defeat at the hands of Kerry teams. Finally you've got the whole Stockholm syndrome - it's very easy for many people, particularly those in the rest of Leinster, to convince themselves Dublin are the greatest sports team of all time to cover up their own counties failures. It's a comforting thought to go 'sure look even if we were doing everything we could, this side is so brilliant it wouldn't make any difference' etc etc. So threads like this come as no surprise. For the good of the GAA and everything it was meant to stand for, Kerry need to win on Sunday. But my fear is, even if we do, the GAA will simply point to the result, say they'res no problem here and continue to pile money and advantages at Dublin's door.

TheHermit (National) - 29/08/2019 10:46:38

Interesting picture from Sunday's game - 8 Like(s)

Replying To waynoI:  "http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1208243/

Kerry and the dark arts. Who'd have thought it.

What do ya think of that then ?"
You know there's a way you conduct yourself in victory as well as defeat that tells a lot.

For example setting up this topic and as justification posting up a photo of Walsh with his mouth open to Cluxton.

I suppose from your vantage point you missed the dirty stroke Small pulled as he was being substituted at the same time as Donaghy was coming off? Classy stuff, I was three rows behind the Dublin subs and everyone around us saw it as clear as day.

But I suppose you don't want to talk about that sort of thing do you? It wouldn't sit well with the whole heroic Dublin and evil Kerry theme you want to indulge today.

You won the game, we lost. We accept our defeat and we go home and lick our wounds for the winter ahead.

When we win we don't spend a week on here posting up gloating threads and when we lose we don't come on here b*tching to all and sundry.

In the aftermath of Sunday's game we could be on here starting topics about referee selections, decisions, Dublin's 'Dark Arts' etc etc but we don't.

We don't because we are Kerry people and we know that in the grand scheme of things you win some and you lose some but there's always another game, another championship, another All-Ireland down the road.

So Waynol why don't you grow up, be grateful you have a great team to support at the moment and be a bit gracious in victory.

TheHermit (National) - 01/09/2016 10:52:34

David Gough To Referee The Final - 8 Like(s)
I'm just going to say the below one last time and then leave it there because there's no point talking anymore now that the decision has been made. Kerry will just have to grin and bare it and move one. However as a general principle: How would Dublin react if the man in the middle was some fella from Cork or Limerick who lived in Tralee, was essentially a member of Strand Road having thought in the school connected and right next to that GAA club, had been previously photographed after an All-Ireland win with players of the team and the Cup and finally had been allegedly invited into Kerry training sessions that very summer to take charge of practice matches. I mean if people can't see a conflict of interest there (unintentional as it might be on the part of the official) than you'd have to wonder! How can someone so heavily involved at club level in a competing county and working and living there be expected to be seen as impartial. For the next 3 weeks he will be in Dublin during the buildup and will face the consequences of his actions every day for months after in the capital. And you are telling me that, even at a subconscious level, that can't and won't have an impact? In the run in to the 2015/16 Premiership title race a ref appointed to one of Leicester's games was stood down because he had, in a private capacity, attended one of their games as a spectator earlier on that season. That was the only link he had with the club and yet the Premier League felt the need to stand him down, he had absolutely no issues with it and neither had Leicester or any of the media. And yet in the GAA we have the above. How far we have regressed in 90 years. In the early 1930s Cavan objected to playing Kerry because a Munster ref was appointed and the official was duly changed. That was a common enough back then and it was understood that ref's often needed to be changed depending on teams drawn to ensure impartiality. Like I said, I'll say no more now on it as there's no point. It's just another pothole placed in front of Kerry on the road to trying to stop an inevitable 5 in a Row.

TheHermit (National) - 14/08/2019 12:54:23

Kerry Vs Tyrone - 8 Like(s)

Replying To Kingdomson:  "All the Dublin games will be shown live and the only Kerry game scheduled to be shown live is their game against Dublin. Not sure for Tyrone. We're all equal officially of course but some are more equal than others. Money talks."
Yerra surely lads the penny (pardon the pun) has dropped for all of us at this stage. It's not the GAA anymore its D-GAA :D

TheHermit (National) - 23/01/2019 13:50:53

Kerry V Dublin - 8 Like(s)

Replying To Dubh_linn:  "Ah , sure you'll probably get subsidized for that misfortune. Poor farmers can claim for pretty much anything now. The Dubs will fork out for ye again. Great little gravy train."
Sure isn't half of Dublin sitting at home on Government subsidies that are paying for their sky sports packages :D

TheHermit (National) - 07/02/2019 13:25:19

AOS - A passenger who cost Mayo All Irelands - Brolly - 7 Like(s)

Replying To why:  "So players ability is based on if they would make the Dublin team or not? How long did you play inter-county football for? Seeing as you're such a great judge"
Ah now, don't be expecting too much from poor old Liam. I mean this is the same fella that has given us such classic topics on here as the ongoing disgrace that Cluxton wasn't footballer of the year every year since 2011 or the disgrace that Dublin don't have 15 All Stars every year Sure even Gooch or Maurice Fitz in their prime wouldn't get on this Dubs team don't you know. Eoghan O'Gara, mind, is one of the most outstanding talents of his generation ...

TheHermit (National) - 27/01/2018 13:48:44

The Dubs, The Monies & The Prejudices - 7 Like(s)

Replying To TheUsername:  "I love the general sweeping statements. "All involved need to stop embarrassing themselves in denying the link between money and success." Sure anyone can say things like that or: "All attempting to link money and success are bitter, jealous and trying to protect themselves from a harsh reality that their county is poor at football and need to stop embarrassing themselves." I immediately switch to low brow click bait journalism when I read statement in articles like that. GAA journalism is going through its worst ever period in my opinion, in general not just commenting on Dublin. I miss Eugene McGee in particular on a Mon. Dublin are box office though, so comes with the territory. You can only grin."
Jesus Wept if this lad is anyway representative of the modern Dublin fan the GAA as we know it is truly fecked. At least his posts are getting shorter :D

TheHermit (National) - 29/06/2019 23:20:54

2019 Division 1 League Final. - 7 Like(s)
This really is a hard game to call especially as Mayo handed Kerry their only defeat in the League. A more battle hardened and physical Mayo were able to impose themselves on a younger Kerry team that night and yet the weather was so appalling that the match became a lottery and in the end, for all their dominance, Mayo only won by a late goal. Will a dry day and the expanses of Croke Park further underline Mayo physical advantages or conversely will it work to the advantage of a pacier Kerry side? It's set-up to be a great game. I also think a lot of Kerry supporters will travel to it so we should have a decent crowd, esp with the hurling beforehand. From a Kerry point of view I'm delighted to see our young lads getting to play a serious rival, in front of a big crowd with silverware on the line. This really should have a championship intensity to it and could be Kerry's last serious examination before the Super 8's if Cork and Tipp's trajectories keep on their downward spiral though Clare might offer more a challenge. Given that this rematch with Mayo comes so soon after our last clash its going to be fascinating to see how much Peter Keane and the players have learnt from the reversal in Tralee. The one lesson I hope they have learned is the need to stand up to the physical challenge Mayo represent. AOS bossed our lads around in Tralee and can't be allowed impose himself like that again. It's up to the likes of Jack Barry to take the game to him. Midfield remains an array of concern for Kerry and we lack cover here. Tralee proved Mayo have the advantage in the middle and we need to negate that. But we have forwards that should cause any defence nightmares and if they click, as they did at times in Roscommon, we should have a great chance. Overall, I think this game could tell us a lot of how close or far away we are from being serious contenders this summer. I also expect Keane to stick with the players that have got us this far so while Clifford and possibly JOD could start, the rest of the team will be similar to what we have seen all League. For Mayo, its excellent work to make a final after rotating so much of their team over the seven games and given that dip against Dublin and Galway. While I know the League is a secondary concern for them and us, I would echo other posters and wonder why Mayo would not be going all out now to win this game. The psychological impact of claiming national silverware in Croke Park for a side that have lost so many finals here cannot be underestimated IMO. For me its too close to call, but I expect this Kerry team to turn up and perform, unlike the last time we crossed paths with Mayo in Croker! I also expect them to fight to the end, as Keane has certainly instilled this admirable trait. Really looking forward to it now.

TheHermit (National) - 26/03/2019 16:08:31

Mayo V Kerry - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Joxer:  "But of course it's everything since 2011 that seems to have upset some Kerry posters for some reason. Population, home advantage are now suddenly issues. A Kerry man above is waxing lyrical about a Kerry team "hammering Dublin by 17 points" in 2009. Where was that match played, what was the population of Dublin at the time and how much money were Dublin receiving from Vodafone and HQ? Remember this was just two years before this remarkable team won their first AI yet if it isn't about the games since 2011 why were Kerry men not up in arms in 2009 when they "hammered" Dublin by 17 points? So it's everything since 2011 that some elements have a problem with is it not?"
You seem particularly upset about the 2011 barb, what's wrong did you buy your first jersey the day after that final too ;D Don't worry guys Man U will start winning again soon and you can go back to following them

TheHermit (National) - 09/07/2019 20:47:50

David Gough To Referee The Final - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Crinigan:  "Lot of Kerry GAA people showing their true colors this past couple of weeks over this referee issue. Very poor form and reflects very badly on the county. I think I'm not alone now in hoping Dublin hammer them out the gate."
Ever hear of Stockholm syndrome friend ;D

TheHermit (National) - 17/08/2019 21:07:49

The Dubs, The Monies & The Prejudices - 7 Like(s)

Replying To jimbodub:  "I know exactly why The Indo is very anti-Dub at present ... and that sells papers to those that are only too happy to read it's click bait nonsense."
Yeah the Blue shirts mouthpiece has a real anti Dub agenda alright considering the south Dublin trio that runs the Party! Your insights into the national media is almost as perceptive as those about Dublin GAA :D

TheHermit (National) - 01/07/2019 18:27:46

Forum Becoming Boring - 7 Like(s)
Now now the 5 in a row needs the asterisk (achieved with the aid of at least 17 million+ of special GAA funding, completed by playing only 4 games outside of their home ground). Given those provisos any country wining a single All-Ireland should be a bigger story ;D I wonder will this post get passed the censors :D

TheHermit (National) - 14/04/2019 14:29:15

Marc O'Se - 7 Like(s)

Replying To shoulderghost:  "Bye bye Mark O'Se, and thank you...Sheer class! 16 seasons at the highest level is crazy in this day and age. Those O'Se's were a different breed though. You can examine all the great footballing families that ever represented any county at the highest level, none, NONE even comes close to those O'Se's!"
22 years or there abouts of at least one of the brother O'Se's on the Kerry team sheet, its going to be a strange strange feeling never seeing any of them line out in the Green and Gold again. Seems like once you enter your 30s you find all your hero's departing stage left - Darragh, Tomas, Marc, Declan, Galvin, Mike McCarthy, Tom O'Sullivan, ROG, Paul O'Connell, Robbie Keane etc, etc Of course new players will emerge to lay claim to the voids they have left behind. But I often wonder if, as a sports fan, you ever adore any star as much as you adored those first ones you made as your heroes. Maybe its a bit like the first time you fall in love, do you ever real feel that way about any woman/man again??

TheHermit (National) - 12/10/2016 13:44:33

Conor Cox Kerry Mistake - 7 Like(s)

Replying To summerof09:  "He would walk onto to the current Kerry team which is rubbishy bar Geaney and Clifford."
Must let Sean O'Se know he is a "rubbishy" player, ditto Paul Murphy, David Moran etc etc , ha ha :D

TheHermit (National) - 27/05/2019 10:37:36

All Ireland Championship 2019 - 7 Like(s)
Ok so we've lots to work on, particularly in defense, over the next 3 weeks but I would rather be in that situation than where we were this time last year thinking we were going to stroll through to a semi-final. We were very naive and they really need to work on Kerry players tracking the run of the opposition and not just ball watching or converging on the man with the ball. But look every team is vulnerable when run at, Dublin, Donegal, everyone. 3 poor goals let in yes, but for all people are going on about the chances Cork had, we had 2-3 clear goal chances of our own that weren't taken. If Seanie had finished the one Clifford brilliantly tied up by keeping the ball in play, it was game over. Some people need to look at the age and Championship experience of most of those lads, your going to get this from young teams. Yes Shane Ryan made a mess of it for one goal, but he is young he has to make these mistakes along the way. We got the job done, Cork were not going to let what happened last year stand again and they didn't. We now have a home game to start the Super 8s off. Hopefully a packed house, cracking atmosphere and the sun shinning. A great chance to click into gear put in a good performance and get a shot of momentum for the rest of the summer. Onwards and upwards! An Riocht Abu.

TheHermit (Kerry) - 23/06/2019 16:15:05