National Forum

Popular Posts from TheHermit

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Interesting picture from Sunday's game - 8 Like(s)

Replying To waynoI:  "http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1208243/

Kerry and the dark arts. Who'd have thought it.

What do ya think of that then ?"
You know there's a way you conduct yourself in victory as well as defeat that tells a lot.

For example setting up this topic and as justification posting up a photo of Walsh with his mouth open to Cluxton.

I suppose from your vantage point you missed the dirty stroke Small pulled as he was being substituted at the same time as Donaghy was coming off? Classy stuff, I was three rows behind the Dublin subs and everyone around us saw it as clear as day.

But I suppose you don't want to talk about that sort of thing do you? It wouldn't sit well with the whole heroic Dublin and evil Kerry theme you want to indulge today.

You won the game, we lost. We accept our defeat and we go home and lick our wounds for the winter ahead.

When we win we don't spend a week on here posting up gloating threads and when we lose we don't come on here b*tching to all and sundry.

In the aftermath of Sunday's game we could be on here starting topics about referee selections, decisions, Dublin's 'Dark Arts' etc etc but we don't.

We don't because we are Kerry people and we know that in the grand scheme of things you win some and you lose some but there's always another game, another championship, another All-Ireland down the road.

So Waynol why don't you grow up, be grateful you have a great team to support at the moment and be a bit gracious in victory.

TheHermit (National) - 01/09/2016 10:52:34

Marc O'Se - 7 Like(s)

Replying To shoulderghost:  "Bye bye Mark O'Se, and thank you...Sheer class! 16 seasons at the highest level is crazy in this day and age. Those O'Se's were a different breed though. You can examine all the great footballing families that ever represented any county at the highest level, none, NONE even comes close to those O'Se's!"
22 years or there abouts of at least one of the brother O'Se's on the Kerry team sheet, its going to be a strange strange feeling never seeing any of them line out in the Green and Gold again. Seems like once you enter your 30s you find all your hero's departing stage left - Darragh, Tomas, Marc, Declan, Galvin, Mike McCarthy, Tom O'Sullivan, ROG, Paul O'Connell, Robbie Keane etc, etc Of course new players will emerge to lay claim to the voids they have left behind. But I often wonder if, as a sports fan, you ever adore any star as much as you adored those first ones you made as your heroes. Maybe its a bit like the first time you fall in love, do you ever real feel that way about any woman/man again??

TheHermit (National) - 12/10/2016 13:44:33

Division One 2017 - 6 Like(s)
That's a fine pitch ye have up there lads, thank God the rain held off. We worryingly faded out again around the 55 min mark, this has become something of a trait of Kerry teams of late. But fair play to Roscommon they battled back and were unlucky not to get some result. I can see why the home support might have been irked by the ref. This time last year ye looked the team to beat but we all know what happened in the Championship so maybe it's no harm flattering to deceive in the League (we've certainly been doing it long enough!!). I'd be expecting Roscommon to be in the shake up come the Connacht final if ye get a full squad fit and ready. Also kudos to Kevin McStay on League Sunday shooting from the hip, I thought those comments last week were ridiculous considering that Roscommon have had a number of outside mangers in the recent past. As for ourselves we need to be 70-80% better than we were yesterday to put some manners on the Dubs in two weeks, a tall order!

TheHermit (Roscommon) - 06/03/2017 10:21:19

NEW President - 5 Like(s)

Replying To Cavan_Slasher:  "What did Kelly do that was so good?"
Rule 42 and all that, it's 10 years since that famous weekend when France came to Croke Park. Introduced meaningful lower tier national hurling competitions. All Ireland junior and intermediate club championships. Not a bad couple of years work by any strech

TheHermit (National) - 23/02/2017 17:02:01

Kerry Investment paying off? - 5 Like(s)

Replying To Gael85:  "http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/kerry-step-up-their-pursuit-of-excellence-1.2220057 Another trophy in the cabinet for Kerry tonight winning the u21 Munster and odds on favourite to win u21 AI Throw in they have won last 3 minor All Irelands, 3 Hogans Cup. Dr Crokes winning club All Ireland and their clubs dominant at intermediate and junior club level. With the Kerry Group investment over last year few years it is no coincidence Kerry are starting to dominate football at all levels. We will soon see them take over the mantle from Dublin and fair play to them, They have produced great young players like Killian Spillane, Andrew & Jack Barry, David Clifford, Dara Moynihan, David Shaw, Jason Foley, Shane Ryan and Micheal Burns who will be superstars in next year or two . Is Kerry investment paying off??"
IF and WHEN these lads win an U-21 and then move on to win a Senior All-Ireland we can sing their praises - for the moment they're just a decent young team but there's plenty of counties around that have decent underage teams. Dublin's record underage isn't exactly terrible now is it? And yer clubs do very well for themselves too. So the GAA/AIG/Skoda/Super Valu/Ballgowan and the other 20+ sponsors gravy train is oiling the Dublin machine nicely.

TheHermit (National) - 30/03/2017 09:36:57

Dr Crokes vs S'neil - 5 Like(s)
It's a terrible thing to be insulting Irish people on our patron saints day, but my God most of ye are such stereotypes. Ulster posters going off on one about Crokes when it was their opponents that finished with 14 men (courtesy of a punch in the balls), and most of Crokes scores were courtesy of frees. But no, it was Crokes that were the cynical side. Yer some shower...

TheHermit (National) - 17/03/2017 18:37:49

What Makes Gaelic Football superior to others? - 5 Like(s)
For me it's the history, pageantry and tradition of it all. I know every sport has that, but for me the history and tradition of the GAA are more real. I love match days, especially the big Summer match days. I always make sure to walk all the way to the ground if I can. When I am in Dublin I love walking from outside Ranelagh/Rathmines/Harolds Cross, wherever I might be staying, all the way into Croke Park. At first you think there's no game on at all, the way everyone is going about their normal business - but the closer you get to the Liffey the more and more jersey's you spot, the more the atmosphere builds. Then, somewhere around Camden St, you start to get the beeps from the car horns, the knowing yet unspoken nods from the other Kerry fans, the good humored words of encouragement from some neutral walking by you and the smart alec remarks from someone of the opposition! And, for myself anyway, I always think I'm just a little link in the chain; walking the same steps into Ireland's sporting Cathedral that my father did in the 70's following Micko's marvels, or my Grandfather did in the 50's watching Mick O'Connell, Sean Murphy Tadghie Lyne and co. I love getting on a train or bus and being around the fans traveling on match day. I keep the earphones in the pocket and listen or join in (if I'm lucky) with the talk of the old men, reliving some long last game, when the Sun was impossibly warm and this or that player was impossibly skillful - 'ah young fella if you think Gooch was good you should have seen the Tiger Lyne in action, a prince among forwards'. I get on the train up from Tralee and think about what it must have been to be on the legendary Ghost Train as it powered through the Autumn night taking generations of Kerry fans to Dublin. But again there is a simple pleasure that, in my own small way, I'm helping keep alive that tradition and that history of going to Croker to cheer on the Gold and Green. And when you're up in the stand looking on at those men parading on the pitch in the Kerry jersey you can't help put think of all the great players that have gone before and the great players that are yet to come, and that each of them - and each of us - are just a link in an enduring chain. And that is both a humbling and awe inspiring thought. But I guess most of all, for someone who has had to spent so much of their adult life away from my home county, what I love about the game is that those 15 players go out and try and show the world everything that is great and good about my home. They represent the very best of what we are and hope to be. That's why I love this damn beautiful sport - warts and all.

TheHermit (National) - 26/01/2017 17:55:16

Financial Doping in the GAA - 5 Like(s)
Jimbo and some other Dublin poster on here are basing their justification for Croke Park's policy on the misguided assumption that Dublin is the only county that has any sort of strategic development plan worthy of so much funding - that Dublin is the only place where hundreds or thousands of coaches and volunteers work hard to ensure the success of the GAA there. Well to reiterate what I said in an early post, in 2010 the Kerry GAA but in place a well thought out, planned and structured development programme to address what they saw as the underwhelming record of Kerry teams at under-age level in national competitions. The coaching teams and development squads etc which are part of this programme has been behind the remarkable 3 in a row of minor titles won by Kerry since 2014. The underage model we have employed is already being studied and taken on board by several other counties across Ireland. The Kerry GAA is a very well run organisation and isn't our success at under-age now proof of the worth of our development programme? Just like Dublin, we have hundreds of dedicated volunteers and coaches working their backsides off to ensure the success of our teams at all levels. Yet we still are getting less than one fourteenth the amount Croke Park is lavishing on Croke Park. Dublin is not the only county with well planned and implemented development programmes, yet they still getting multiples of the rest of us, even when their teams are now being so successful! How any of you can justify this is baffling to me, as I'm sure it is to any one else reading your posts. P.S., on this whole other justification that the GAA in Dublin would be swept away by a tsunami of soccer and rugby unless Croke Park kept pumping in millions - Do you think that in the modern era every county is not facing the same struggle to keep the GAA alive in the midst of the growing popularity of rival sports? In my home town of Tralee, soccer is becoming incredibly popular, which is very worrying in what was always a town that was a bastion of Gaelic football. Likewise basketball is making serious inroads at under age. This notion that the GAA in Dublin will disappear unless they are lavished with money is BS of the highest order. And, as other posters have pointed out, surely the fight is far more critical in the likes of Belfast, Derry, Limerick, Galway and Cork???

TheHermit (National) - 10/10/2016 12:38:47

Padraic Duffy's plan - 5 Like(s)

Replying To witnof:  "Hold on. Louth, Westmeath and Leitrim have never been strong contenders no matter the format, and most likely never will. So lets stop blmaing the formats for their problems or lack of success. No format will make a weaker county stronger. Secondly the arguement that the proposed pool takes up extra Sundays and leaves club players twiddling their thumbs. I call BS on this. Every year 24 counties are finished in the championship by the time the Q-Finals start first weekend of August. YET they still cannot or will not run off their local county champtionships. They wait to September and October. This is also, for me, why the CPA makes no sense. The problems are often within the counties, blaming the 'GAA' or 'Croke Park' is often an easy excuse."
Isn't that the crux of the whole thing??? You have Duffy going around the country this past few months trying to sell this 'Super 8' format. If he took the same amount of time to visit the County Boards and insist they get their club structures in order, we wouldn't have to be in a situation where club players in the vast majority of counties are sitting on their hands all summer. Personally I think the new format idea, is just window dressing. Always good for players to get more games but as another poster said, for supporters coming from Donegal, Kerry etc its a hell of a lot more expense. Within 5 years we will be complaining about it as much as the qualifier system. Also can someone clarify, the idea is every county in the Q-finals gets a home game, an away game and a game in Croke Park. Now does that mean Dublin effectively get 2 home games and everyone else just one?

TheHermit (National) - 20/02/2017 09:38:32

Tough task ahead for Kerry in the Semi Final..... - 5 Like(s)

Replying To witnof:  "So the only chance Kerry have of an All Ireland win is in a joke of a competition!"
Pretty disgraceful comment that, why exactly is this a joke of a competition? The Junior grade has been around since the early 20th century. Counties like Kerry use it (very successfully) as a bridge between minor/U-21 and senior players. Maybe keep your cheap laugh's at Kerry's prospects to the Dublin forum and stop insulting players who put a huge amount of time and effort into representing their counties.

TheHermit (National) - 21/07/2016 13:57:25

Just in case you doubted the Anti Dublin felings.. - 5 Like(s)
2007 isn't 20 years ago ...

TheHermit (National) - 05/01/2017 13:05:08

Just in case you doubted the Anti Dublin felings.. - 5 Like(s)

Replying To keithlemon:  "Does 06/07 really count as a REAL back to back? They didn't win their province in 06 so it takes a lot off that achievement Everytime they went for that REAL back to back, the team of the decade beat them, beat them with ease really"
Go suck on your surname...

TheHermit (National) - 05/01/2017 14:49:42

NEUTRALS:Who do you WANT to win - Donegal v Dublin - 5 Like(s)

Replying To KYTitletown:  "If Manchester City knocked out Dundalk in the Champions League, you wouldn't say they derailed Dundalk's season as it would be the universally expected outrcome, same with Dublin and Kerry"
Ah would you give it a rest for the one day lad, I really don't know what you think you're achieving with this kind of stuff.

TheHermit (National) - 04/08/2016 15:49:58

Axel - 5 Like(s)
I know this is a Gaa forum, but we are a small soorts mad island abd Im sure a lot of us are in shock over Antony Foley. For me he epitomised everything that that Munster team stood for, and he was one of the main reasons that they were second only to Kerry in my affections. Rest in peace Anthony

TheHermit (National) - 16/10/2016 15:57:44

Kerry v Cork - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Ulsterman:  "Thank God for the Ulster Championship which is keeping Gaelic football alive."
The day Ulster keeps football alive is the day I start supporting cricket. To call it football you actually have to kick it first....

TheHermit (National) - 02/07/2017 18:09:02

Pat Spillane's team of the Century - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Mes/Greenandred, Hermit is at this craic for years now. No body ever beat Kerry on merit, ever!! Especially not the Dubs! Every game Dublin have beaten Kerry in for 5 years now, has been down to either good luck, a bad ref, or Kerry not bringing their A game as such I like Hermit, we bounce off each other in the summer and its good craic, but he is woe to EVER admit that Dublin are better than Kerry and cant accept that we have been better than them for 5 years now. Bless him. He must be walking around the KIngdom in the off season muttering to himself in a constant state of denial and flux like a fella that has just been Tangoed........"
Never maintained I wasn't biased when the conversation comes to Kerry Liam (happy New Year by the way). But I'd like to think I raise things which are worth considering from time to time (the old even a busted clock is right twice a day sort of thing). Anyway there's so many of the Hill 16 mafia on here someone needs to put it up to us. Referees being chosen for big matches involving the same counties when they have close associations with one or have made bad errors before should not be acceptable IMO.

TheHermit (National) - 04/01/2017 16:50:42

Kerry v Mayo - 4 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "For me this is a 50/50 game. And it's about who might have a chance v Dublin ( no offence to Tyrone, I just can't see you beating dubs). While conventional wisdom would say Kerry have better chance with there tradition and league final win. I'm not so sure. I think there is a element of fear that has developed in the Kerry mindset over past few years. And that could reemerge in a all ore final. Mayo while having the curse or whatever reasons for not winning one is of course a factor, yet If they actually forget about the final hoodoo I think they better placed than any other county to beat Dublin. Looking forward to this game. I might even travel up."
Meath might cower at the thought of Dublin, but if you think the Kingdom is afraid of any county in this land you need your head examined.

TheHermit (National) - 14/08/2017 21:18:25

AI Football Quarter-finals - 4 Like(s)

Replying To benched:  "How about you stop trying to convince the rest of us Kerry would still have the same amount of All-Irelands had they played in Ulster or even the Leinster Championship of previous decades. Mute point as they didn't, but as many titles as they still would have got, it would of been a lot fewer than with the late run needed to peak for August and September that the Munster championship provided."
How about you respond to the points I and others have raised about the Ulster Championship, its quality, its own self made flaws etc?

TheHermit (National) - 06/07/2016 14:02:03

Pat Spillane's team of the Century - 4 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I have no problem with dublins win over us in 2013 that was fair and square but the other 3 games against us in the championship I'd have big problems with the reffing . Also the reffing in a few of our league incounters were very dodgy and was mentioned in some newspaper articles by non Kerry media. It is what it is I guess , the GAA want a return on their big investment."
Keep fighting the good fight Kingdom Boy. It's high time the Dubs suffered a bit of referee Karma against us. We will see how mature the Hill 16 brigade are then when it comes.

TheHermit (National) - 03/01/2017 18:17:09

Kerry v Mayo - 4 Like(s)

Replying To jimbodub:  "Gas isn't it

Numerous posters from right across the country have highlighted Kerry posters dishonesty on this thread

Yet they choose to attack a Dub - who's only saying the same thing

Yerra = dishonest.

Decades of yerra = decades of dishonesty.

Throw all the stones ye want lads :)

The state of yiz... and glad to see numerous posters highlight the cut of yiz

Keep it up!"
You really are some piece of work

How you are still allowed post your sh*ite is beyond me considering how many times this year alone you've had threads shut down.

TheHermit (National) - 08/08/2017 17:48:19