National Forum

Popular Posts from MesAmis

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Longford V Meath - 18 Like(s)
It'd be great to see an upset. To see one of the minnows have their day in the sun and give a little joy to the long suffering fans but I just can't see it I'm afraid. Longford by 2.

MesAmis (National) - 15/05/2018 14:46:08

Two Different Sets Of Rules - 11 Like(s)

Replying To gaelicgab:  "Diarmuid O'Connor receives a straight red card for an elbow on Paul Conroy last weekend. John Conlon commits a very similar offence on Daniel Kearney today and walks away with just a yellow card. I'm not sure if the referee even awarded a foul for Conlon's challenge. The linesman pulled him up on it afterwards. Two different sets of rules for football and hurling it seems."
It's almost like they're different sports.

MesAmis (National) - 20/05/2018 19:14:46

Posters Crossing The Line - 9 Like(s)

Replying To sceptical:  "Madge great to hear from you & so excited for you! Must be like the eve of an all Ireland final for you over there. If only RTE would have an 'up for the match' for supporters like you on occasions like this it would be great. With all our injury woes, this is probably Cavan's to lose - well that's as long as McLoughlin doesn't bottle it like he did back a few years ago - his jumping out of the way of Hughes was a game changer when we looked like we were in serious trouble. And I have something similar at the back of my mind for Moynagh in 2015. Anyway enjoy the big occasion with the big boys coming to town! greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 454 - 17/05/2019 16:40:09 2184997"
Wonderful sceptical. Just wonderful.

MesAmis (National) - 05/06/2019 14:49:15

Mayo Ladies Walk Out - 9 Like(s)

Replying To arock:  "The only people making it a female issue are condescending males who barely tolerate females even as partners never mind sports people. I too have been listening to Off The Ball the way that coach behaved flies in the face of any kind of advice that a coach should follow. If a coach hurls abuse in a one and one conversation they are NOT fit to be a coach its not allowed in the work place, in school on our streets, just because its a sports arena doesn't make it right. The fact he spoke alone to these players speaks volumes he ignored his own player liaison officer, he abused his capt he lost the plot and now half the dressing room. The chap had a player liaison officer right? a great choice that turned out to be. Some players who were selected have backed the players, they are not all from one club yet one club was targeted illegally by the county board and they had to back track on that one. They made a balls of the mediation, I would imagine the county board is only too happy to put the boot into the only club targeted. Imagine if that happened in Dublin? No it wouldn't because it couldn't happen players as players are treated with dignity and respect, There is no nice way to drop players but there is a respectful way. I would wager the current management won't be around next year."
What's your take then on the majority of the Mayo players? You know the ones that disagree with your characterisation of their manager, the ones that disagree with their former captains and walk away players version of events. Are the being condescending too? That's the biggest issue for me that the majority of players back the manager, but you think you know better than these women who are playing for him? The majority of players backed the manager when the chance came to get rid. That's the key to it, it has nothing to do with gender either.

MesAmis (National) - 19/09/2018 10:25:07

Posters Crossing The Line - 9 Like(s)
This thread has crossed a line. When I read the opening post I thought someone was after saying something really bad! Then it turns out it was a clearly lighthearted post that in no way crossed any line or slagged off any player at all. You'd have to wonder about anyone getting offended by that post. Something clearly not right with them if they can't understand a lighthearted satirical post.

MesAmis (National) - 05/06/2019 12:18:18

You Couldn't Pay Me To Go And Watch A Game Of Football - 9 Like(s)

Replying To OpenStand:  "Many people have come to the same conclusion over the past 2/3 years. There has been a notable decrease in viewership figures for Gaelic football on TV and paying attendance's also. Hurling has saved the GAA this year . Working with an American colleague who landed in recent times , he only watch's Hurling & Rugby of the 4 big sports in this country. Gaelic & Soccer both for different reasons have lost their excitement, people still identify with a county allegiance but watching neutral games is becoming a thing of the past as its hard enough to even watch your own county with the chess like tactics."
I'd like to actual figures for the massive decline in attendances/viewing figures for football versus hurling or rugby or whatever other stick is being used to beat football with. Say over a sustained period of time rather than just accepting as fact the idea that Gaelic Football is dying. Despite what the doomsayers like to say Gaelic Football is still by far a bigger draw in terms of TV/attendances/player numbers when compared with both hurling and rugby. The only sport that you can compare it to is soccer, which also attracts complete widespread criticism. I think people really fail to realise how far ahead of the other two sports Gaelic Football and soccer are. You talk about the 'big 4' sports, it's really the big 2 if you're honest. Hurling, for all it's brilliance is still only played properly in about 12 or so counties. Rugby, for all its recent success, is still miles behind the 2 football codes, and hurling even, in participation. Football has always been the worst sport in the world according to a vocal minority. It will continue to attract criticism but it will also continue to be the biggest show in town.

MesAmis (National) - 19/12/2018 14:50:33

Shane Ross Comments On Facilities - 8 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "Yes very progressive that's why the amount of people taking leaving cert without Irish is through the roof. Sooner it to is consigned to history the better. And just to be clear I promoted a red button for alternative English commentary. But sure don't let the truth get in the way of a good lie , eh mes?"
What lie? You have repeatedly stated that you refuse to watch games broadcast in Irish, you mute the commentary because you're so open minded?

MesAmis (National) - 31/01/2019 17:17:39

Time To Confess - 8 Like(s)

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "A great post that made me sit down & take a long look at my own attitude to Dublin. On the surface I agree with a lot of what was said but when I really thought about it I came to the conclusion that what is really annoying me about Dublin & the GAA at the moment is that it is a microcosm of what I see happening throughout the country in general. Dublin is prospering at the moment but rural Ireland especially the western seaboard is dying on its feet & the powers that be seem to be happy enough to let it happen. In my own town our one national school has just 120 children down from 230 in the space of 20 years & it is the same everywhere in South West Donegal. We have a great young team at the moment, holding both senior championship & League but once this team is gone then that's it. Yes, the coaching & work with kids will go on but the numbers simply aren't there & it breaks my heart to see it. What is hard to take is that nobody seemes to give a damn & keep feeding the beast that is Dublin while the rest of us suffer. The same applies to the GAA who in funding terms alone treat Dublin differently to the extent that we can no longer compete. Add in the corrupt way games are being fixed & scheduled & anger is not the word to describe how I feel. Now I know this is not Dublins doing but the blue jersey laying waste to everyone it meets is dispiriting in the extreme and if things continue on there won't be a GAA as we knew it in 10 years time. Again this is not Dublins doing,they are a great team with a great manager but when I see them I can't help but feel upset at the injustice of it all."
On the whole economic tough times undoubtedly still an issue in Donegal and elsewhere and just cannot agree with the narrative of Dublin getting everything at the expense of everyone else. I could take you on a tour of my city and you'll see some things that might make you think a little more about the growing inequality in Ireland, Dublin very much included. Dublin is a big place and the inequality in the city is growing year on year. Those that have the most, whether they be in Dublin or Donegal are benefiting and doing well Muck. The rest are being left behind, regardless of where they live.

MesAmis (National) - 24/07/2018 13:10:57

Cork Playing 3 Games In CP In 6 Days. - 8 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Would ye? And ye wouldn't go to portlaois at all yesterday, of course ye thought all yer boys had to do is turn up and ye'd beat Laois sure."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/the-joe-mcdonagh-cup-will-never-get-the-respect-these-guys-deserve-935084.html According to Dalo not many of yous showed up in Tralee for Kerry's game v Laois. Just thought the team had to show up yourself?

MesAmis (National) - 08/07/2019 14:24:45

Gooch on Tyrone - 7 Like(s)
And what did ye get for drawing that game? KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts:5939 - 03/10/2017 22:30:23   2052873  A replay! I thought that much was obvious! Something Kerry could never get in the 00s off Tyrone.

MesAmis (National) - 03/10/2017 22:48:36

Dublin Vs Donegal - 7 Like(s)

Replying To westkerry:  "Best team won, that last 15 minutes was appaling seeing out the game, call it what you want but it's poison."
Donegal kept a sweeper in front of their full back line, it was McGee by the end, and didn't push up and try and win the ball back. If Donegal, or anyteam, don't want to play even when 5 points down I really don't see why Dublin shouldn't just keep the ball. In the 73rd minute Donegal still had a sweeper back and weren't pushing up, they then eventually pushed up and Dublin attacked and Paul Flynn scored in the space McGee vacated. It's how to beat teams when they won't come out to play.

MesAmis (National) - 14/07/2018 21:47:13

GAA Athletes For A NO Vote - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "I will be destroyed for this but......
Mickey Harte has no business even commenting on this issue as it has nothing to do with him. He is not resident in the ROI. This referendum is for ROI not Ireland as a whole."
Completely disagree with you Liam. This vote, although only being voted on by those resident in the ROI, has implications for everyone on the island. Realistically if abortion is freely available in the south, that makes it a lot more available for those in the north than it is at present. It'll be easier to travel to Letterkenny or Dundalk than it is to England. There are people campaigning, for both Yes and No, from the north because this result will directly affect them. To say that this vote won't have an effect on the north is very far wide of the mark. Of course those in the north are entitled to have their say, ludicrous to think otherwise.

MesAmis (National) - 23/04/2018 12:40:34

Rochford Resigns - 7 Like(s)

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I don't think Jim McGuinness will be in the frame. He has put a lot of effort into his soccer coaching qualifications so I think if a suitable opportunity arrives, that'll be his next appointment. I find it laughable that Jim is still held up as this anti-football monster. I agree that blanket defence systems have probably had their day by now but like it or not, it was an innovative piece of thinking back then. He shook up the established order and landed us an All Ireland out of nowhere. Imitation they say is the greatest form of flattery. If people around the rest of the country were so disgusted by the methods employed by Donegal why they did they try to copy it when they hadn't the resources nor the wherewithal to implement it properly? Jim hasn't managed a GAA team in 4 years now yet he is still the boogie-man? Brolly is some craic. At the height of Donegal's success he was a McGuinness cheerleader. I have no doubt that if Tyrone manage to beat Dublin this weekend Mickey Harte will be top of the pops again too despite Joe constantly ridiculing him for the last few years. It'll never happen I know but I'd love to see Brolly take on the Mayo job. He has always championed them as the great white hope, but also ridiculed them at the same time for lacking a killer instinct when it matters most. It's easy to sit in a studio and tell yarns. Harder to commit to what is essentially a full time job with an enormous amount of pressure. I'm sure Joe is wealthy enough to take a sabbatical from his day job for a year. Would he have the nerve to do it though? Unlikely."
Yeah realistically Donegal went uber defensive for one game, the Semi-Final versus Dublin in 2011. Outside of that they had a very similar style in 2011 to Dublin that year and by 2012 they had evolved into a more attacking team that we saw land an All-Ireland and get to a final in 2014. Yet despite this a lot of people, Liam above, still parrot this line about Donegal and McGuinness being this anti-football team that invented defensive football! All based on one game, that they actually lost!

MesAmis (National) - 28/08/2018 10:15:50

Dublin V Cork Super 8S - 7 Like(s)
The Cork takeover of my gaf for the weekend is complete. Arrived home yesterday to 5 more Corkonians in my house, in addition to the one I already keep on a full time basis. Myself and the kids are outnumbered for the weekend but with a bit of luck we'll be shot of them by Monday, although with the Cork footballers due to take on Tyrone up here again next week and the hurlers in with a shout of beating Kilkenny it may only be a temporary reprieve. I suppose we all have our crosses to carry.

MesAmis (National) - 13/07/2019 09:24:42

Corofin V Dr Crokes - 7 Like(s)
Two teams at totally different levels. Corofin toying with Crokes, tapping balls over the bar when the could easily go in for goals. That'll smart a bit I'd say. A pleasure to watch.

MesAmis (National) - 17/03/2019 17:07:31

Dublin Stars Pocketing €6,000 For Promotional Gigs - 7 Like(s)

Replying To 37sowhat:  "That ties in with their professional status If Johnny Sexton can do it ,why not them , I see Gough,Dublin Joe and Mc Goldrick are getting run outs in preparation for more important business down the road .Are they included in the gravy train pool I wonder ? They have more than played their part"
So are Joe Canning and Cillian O'Connor professional now too? Both currently in ads on the telly, fair play to them both jmo.

MesAmis (National) - 08/06/2019 19:23:14

Rules - Here We Go Again ! - 7 Like(s)
Whammo and Gotmilk and even Royaldunne speaking sense ;) The handpass limitations will only favour the blanket defence in the long run.

MesAmis (National) - 07/01/2019 16:16:35

Dublin Discussions - Sensible Or Crackpot? - 6 Like(s)
People advocating for a split should at least acknowledge that a split would be a gamble and could quite possibly lead to the situation that there was pre 1960s where the GAA was essentially a "country" sport. I get the impression that a lot of people would actually like that. The removal of Dublin from the Championship, to be replaced by 2/3/4 teams, is a gamble that might not see any pay out for a long time as interest in GAA in the county could well fall off a cliff as people are unlikely to have any affinity to the newly formed counties.

MesAmis (National) - 10/06/2019 10:14:36

Donegal's Motion Fails - 6 Like(s)
What would have been fairer about it, is that as per last year Donegal who had to play the Dubs twice in Croke Park would only play them once there, Croke Park bestows an awful big advantage to them than Parnell Park does, bigger pitch, majority of C'ship games played there, massive partisan crowd particularly on the Hill. The stats show how much of an advantage it is to them playing in Croke Park, so even taking one game to Parnell Park would have been fairer. No doubt you will come back with a multitude of reasons to contradict this just like Sean Kelly, John Horan & John Costello. It's amazing how blind people can become when the basic tenet of equality comes into play. Money spoke. Uimhir.a.3. (Galway) - Posts: 340 - 2/27/19 1:46:03 AM But that's BS. There is no way that Parnell Park would have been fairer to Donegal than Croke Park. The majority of the Donegal players are experienced playing in Croke Park. The majority of Donegal's players have never played in Parnell Park, all the Dublin players know every inch of Parnell Park as well as they know Croke Park. The partisan crowd would be far worse in Parnell Pk where the Dubs fans would almost be on top of the players as the ground is so tight. At the very best Parnell Park is just as advantageous to Dublin as Croke Park, in reality it would probably be a bigger advantage to Dublin. You say I'm blind to the inequality because I don't support Donegal's motion, the motion that does nothing to end the inequality. I think Dublin should have one home game, one away game and one game at a neutral venue. That's equality. Giving Dublin 2 home games (one in Croker, one in PP) like you are suggesting is more unequal. You say I'm being blind, I'm genuinely flabbergasted that people wanted a motion passed that gave Dublin 2 home games in the Super 8s all the while giving out about Dublin getting 2 home games in the Super 8s. It makes zero sense and makes people look quite silly. You couldn't make it up. The motion was bad as it didn't make things equal. Money didn't speak. Ineptitude spoke. Multiple county boards failing to table a motion that ensured every team in the Super 8s got one home game, one away game and one neutral game spoke. That motion would have passed and will pass next year, as long as some county board bothers to actually propose it. I want Dublin to have one home game, one away game and one neutral game. You seem to want Dublin to get 2 home games, one on Croker and one in Parnell Park, yet I'm the one blind to equality apparently. The mind boggles.

MesAmis (National) - 27/02/2019 10:19:52

Tipp Hurling Fans Fighting - 6 Like(s)

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Its got nothing to do with the game. A few idiots in the terrace acting the tough men probably drinking all morning before the game. They are not real fans. They need to be identified and named and shamed. That would deter this behavior in future."
They are real fans though. They're not the fans we want but they're a part of fandom. Soccer has done this 'they're not real fans' routine for years but it is not true. Any sport that has big cross community support will attract all sorts of people to its games. Living beside Croker means I've seen all sorts, from different counties including my own, down through the years. From fighting to urinating at people's front doors etc. 99% of people are great but the 1% exists and have always been there, despite what some may think.

MesAmis (National) - 20/05/2019 09:40:54