National Forum

Likely Football Allstars 2019...

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Galway have won two provincial titles in last four years and reached an All Ireland semi final. Meath have beaten a few harmless Leinster sides and Clare"
The Connought championship is hardly a worthy mention these days but it probably still is for Roscommon. Galway style of football meant they were just playing for damaged limitation against Dublin last year in semi final. They have been deplorable this year so hardly could call it much progress under the current regime. Not saying Meath have moved on much but overall point is Meath have an outstanding defender in Keogan that not many counties in Ireland have. If he doesn't get an all-star this year it will be nothing to do with his personal performances just more an overall judgment due to the position of his team.

winatallcost (Meath) - Posts: 98 - 17/08/2019 21:56:21    2226859

Link

Replying To Donegal_abroad:  "McShane was poor against Donegal, hardly a sniff. Excelled in a qualifier run and a weaker super 8 group. Murphy had his hand up in every game. Both are excellent but Murphy was more influential. I can't argue with your other picks."
That was as much due to how Tyrone set up than anything else. He's not a roving player like Murphy or Donnelly; he's a forward. Give him ball and he'll do plenty against most players (apart from Deegan lol

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 543 - 17/08/2019 23:24:38    2226878

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "O'Callaghan, Mannion, Rock, O'Connor, McShane, Clifford, O'Brien, O'Shea, Murphy, McBerity. I'd also have Mansy ahead of him but Monaghan obviously won't have nominations this year."
O'Callaghan,Mannion,McShane,Clifford,Murphy,O'Brien will be the six forwards to win the All stars. Conor Cox between league and championship had a better year than the rest you named apart from maybe Sean O'Shea however if you had swapped young O'Shea with Cox in the Roscommon side i don't think they would have won Connacht.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2405 - 18/08/2019 01:49:54    2226896

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "O'Callaghan,Mannion,McShane,Clifford,Murphy,O'Brien will be the six forwards to win the All stars. Conor Cox between league and championship had a better year than the rest you named apart from maybe Sean O'Shea however if you had swapped young O'Shea with Cox in the Roscommon side i don't think they would have won Connacht."
Maybe, but the All Stars are a sliding scale. The semi finals and final are more important than Super 8's and they are more important than qualifiers and provincials and league doesn't matter at all. Cox had great league and Provincial but he was poor v Tyrone which was the game that broke their season. He gets a nomination as one of the best 18 forwards.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 316 - 18/08/2019 09:58:36    2226924

Link

Replying To essmac:  "That was as much due to how Tyrone set up than anything else. He's not a roving player like Murphy or Donnelly; he's a forward. Give him ball and he'll do plenty against most players (apart from Deegan lol"
McShane is getting an All Star. Probably the only one Tyrone will get.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 316 - 18/08/2019 12:30:24    2226963

Link

Replying To winatallcost:  "Agreed. I would nearly go as far to say as Keogan is the best all round footballing back in the country at the moment both in terms of defending and attacking."
Not a patch on keegan or McCaffrey. Will need to get fitter and play the full 80 mins but I would like to have him for the dublin ' b ' team. Keep up pressure on the starting backs

superdub (Dublin) - Posts: 341 - 18/08/2019 13:42:47    2226984

Link

Replying To superdub:  "Not a patch on keegan or McCaffrey. Will need to get fitter and play the full 80 mins but I would like to have him for the dublin ' b ' team. Keep up pressure on the starting backs"
Keegan is no longer the player he was. While I admit McCaffrey is an extraordinary player going forward with his pace, he just doesn't do the defending Keogan does. Thats no his fault. Its just reality. Keogan could be best man marker and most influential going forward. I have great admiration for Boyle from Mayo with his agression but for me Keogan best back! Not solely his fault for late fadeouts.

winatallcost (Meath) - Posts: 98 - 18/08/2019 13:57:52    2226987

Link

Replying To winatallcost:  "Keegan is no longer the player he was. While I admit McCaffrey is an extraordinary player going forward with his pace, he just doesn't do the defending Keogan does. Thats no his fault. Its just reality. Keogan could be best man marker and most influential going forward. I have great admiration for Boyle from Mayo with his agression but for me Keogan best back! Not solely his fault for late fadeouts."
Keogan is a fantastic player and definitely one of the more underrated players in the country. I agree with what you are saying but I don't think he will get an All star this year ( and will probably feel hard done by)

boman11 (Antrim) - Posts: 27 - 19/08/2019 09:07:26    2227345

Link