National Forum

All Ireland Hurling Final Referee

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It's a bit sad how some people here get so offended at any criticism of referees just because they happen to come from the same county.

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 678 - 12/08/2018 12:47:41    2132180

Link

Replying To ballydalane:  "It's a bit sad how some people here get so offended at any criticism of referees just because they happen to come from the same county."
i dont think that is true.
i defend all referees on here (just look at the "why did the ref") thread.
it is a thankless job,one i have never had the chance to try as i work weekends/evenings.
even if i could,i am not sure i would.
forgetting about real time,the first criticism of a referee is generally "the replay clearly showed....." - what about the real time,which is what the referee is going by?
if you asked me about 10 decisions and you about 10 decisions a referee makes,there is a good chance we would agree on 5 of them,debate 3 of them and flatly dispute 2 of them.
we need to stop using the one resource the games cant go on without,as a stick to blame when our team lose a game.
rugby has just as many,if not more,borderline calls,yet i never hear people in the bar after a match saying "oh the ref,he was why we lost".
i dont care if the all-ireland final is reffed by a man from wexford or a man from donegal,they all deserve our respect.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 2783 - 13/08/2018 08:35:26    2132523

Link

I really think that James McGrath has done himself no favours nor has the Westmeath county board.
Firstly, he came across very bad in the televised interview, almost with a sense of entitlement, and the argument that "people I've spoken to reckon I should have got it" angle doesn't hold any sway whatsoever... Their opinion is actually irrelevant as they're not involved in the decision process! It's like a player from one of the participating counties who doesn't make the team for the final retiring effectively because they thought they should be playing and coming out and saying that their friends and clubmates thought the same.
James simply didn't make the cut this year because the people making the decision thought there was a better alternative this time round. That is why the Westmeath county board has done no favours with its statement. It is totally irrelevant to this decision how much refereeing he has done in the past or how good a servant he has been to Westmeath hurling over the years, it just doesn't come into the decision making process nor should it.
As a fellow county man I agree that he has been a good servant to the GAA both at club and inter county level but I also must say that while I think he is a capable referee, I do not think he is a great referee or an exceptional one as some have stated and from looking at some of his recent performances (which I accept have divided opinion) I for one understand why he is not involved on sunday.

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 6 - 15/08/2018 16:43:09    2133653

Link