National Forum

Omahants Competition Formats/Proposals

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

In hurling you'd be talking tiers of the following:

League/Qualifiers period

10/12/13 4 qualifiers for the championship.

Championship then

14/12/9 in each tier.

Again teams getting 2 competitions at a mix of levels whilst still keeping the competition at 3 tiers for each part of the season.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 2046 - 13/07/2018 11:30:49    2121270

Link

That Champp mid 12 would then have 2 McD and 2 Rackard teams included with the Ring teams. I wonder if the Meagher teams would be out of their depth in the low NHL 13 ?

omahant (USA) - Posts: 1232 - 13/07/2018 20:50:58    2121442

Link

Replying To omahant:  "That Champp mid 12 would then have 2 McD and 2 Rackard teams included with the Ring teams. I wonder if the Meagher teams would be out of their depth in the low NHL 13 ?"
Yeah sure, they probably would be be a little, it's intentional though. Give teams experience against a better quality of opposition but still have another competition that they can aim to.

Some teams will be targeting league a little more and others championship but maybe there's a little bit more movement and progression over time than currently exists in hurling.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 2046 - 13/07/2018 21:18:01    2121448

Link

Go back to basics in hurling and apply group stage for the All-Ireland series;

12 teams in traditional knockout provincial championships. 4 quarter-final losers should enter a play-off round robin. Top two to join provincial semi-finalists in 2 groups of 5 in the All-Ireland Championship.

Bottom team in the 4 team round robin relegated. McDonagh Cup winner promoted to their provincial championship of the following year.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 5438 - 14/07/2018 20:32:37    2121701

Link

FOOTBALL 20 team All-Ireland series;

4 provincial finalists from Connaught and Munster. (Provinces with less than 8 teams classified as single branch championships and awarded 2 places each.)
8 provincial semi-finalists from Leinster and Ulster. (Provinces with more than 8 teams classified as double branch championships and awarded 4 places each.)
1 or 0 All-Ireland winner from previous year. (0 as might qualify through provincial championship as well.)
1 or 0 Championship II winner from the previous year. (0 as might qualify through provincial championship as well.)
6, 7 or 8 qualifiers. (Number of qualifier spaces will depend on progress of All-Ireland winner and Championship II winner in their respective provinces. 18, 19 or 20 teams would enter the qualifiers.)

All-Ireland qualifiers rounds;
18, 19 or 20 teams will enter the qualifiers in pursuit of 6, 7 or 8 spots respectively.
Number of teams entering the qualifiers will be known after Connaught and Munster semi-finals, and after Leinster and Ulster quarter-finals.
Qualifiers to take place over 2 qualifying rounds.
League placing used to grant byes from Qualifier Round 1 as necessary.

20 teams into 4 groups of 5;

2 home games and 2 away games each.
Provincial winners drawn as top seeds.
Provincial runners-up drawn as second seeds.
Provincial semi-finalists from Leinster and Ulster drawn as third seeds.
All remaining counties drawn as seeds 4 and 5 ranked on league placing.
Top 2 from each group into All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Championship II;
4 groups of 3.
1 home game and 1 away game each.
Top 2 from each group into quarter-finals. Top team from each group given home advantage in the quarter-finals.
Championship II winner guaranteed a spot in the All-Ireland group stage of the following year.

Main positives;
All teams get two bites at the All-Ireland group stage cherry.
All teams get the same number of home games in the group stage.
Provincial semi-finalists in Connaught and Munster might only have to win one game to qualify for the All-Ireland series. This opportunity will also be available for Leinster and Ulster quarter-finalists. This restores balance in the provincial system. Championship II participants are offered a meaningful reward for winning the championship. This opportunity is also rewarded to the All-Ireland winner in the interests of fairness.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 5438 - 15/07/2018 13:34:32    2122055

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "FOOTBALL 20 team All-Ireland series;

4 provincial finalists from Connaught and Munster. (Provinces with less than 8 teams classified as single branch championships and awarded 2 places each.)
8 provincial semi-finalists from Leinster and Ulster. (Provinces with more than 8 teams classified as double branch championships and awarded 4 places each.)
1 or 0 All-Ireland winner from previous year. (0 as might qualify through provincial championship as well.)
1 or 0 Championship II winner from the previous year. (0 as might qualify through provincial championship as well.)
6, 7 or 8 qualifiers. (Number of qualifier spaces will depend on progress of All-Ireland winner and Championship II winner in their respective provinces. 18, 19 or 20 teams would enter the qualifiers.)

18, 19 or 20 teams will enter the qualifiers in pursuit of 6, 7 or 8 spots respectively.
Number of teams entering the qualifiers will be known after Connaught and Munster semi-finals, and after Leinster and Ulster quarter-finals.

Championship II;
4 groups of 3.
Top 2 from each group into quarter-finals. Top team from each group given home advantage in the quarter-finals.
Championship II winner guaranteed a spot in the All-Ireland group stage of the following year.

Main positives;
Provincial semi-finalists in Connaught and Munster might only have to win one game to qualify for the All-Ireland series. This opportunity will also be available for Leinster and Ulster quarter-finalists. This restores balance in the provincial system. Championship II participants are offered a meaningful reward for winning the championship. This opportunity is also rewarded to the All-Ireland winner in the interests of fairness."
I actually think that this is a format that could work in reality.

It could be the best one I've seen to be honest.

I like that there's only 2 rounds and that league placing contributes to seeding.

I think I'd schedule the tournament so that a teams seeding determines the weeks that they play.

So Provincial champions play on week 1,2,4 and 5. The most favourable weeks.

Provincial runners up and 3rd seeds get a 1, 3, 4, 5 or 1, 2, 3, 5.

The qualifiers gets 1, 2, 3, 4 or 2, 3, 4, 5.

I like that the B championship is a little shorter. 6 weekends for it. The final can coincide with a quarterfinal.

I think home away scheduling works better for the early stages of the championship rather than the later stages where neutral venues that are most suited to the fixture in question should be used.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 2046 - 15/07/2018 13:50:40    2122067

Link

Replying To legendzxix:  "FOOTBALL 20 team All-Ireland series;

Championship II;
4 groups of 3.

Main positives;
Provincial semi-finalists in Connaught and Munster might only have to win one game to qualify for the All-Ireland series. This opportunity will also be available for Leinster and Ulster quarter-finalists. This restores balance in the provincial system. Championship II participants are offered a meaningful reward for winning the championship. This opportunity is also rewarded to the All-Ireland winner in the interests of fairness."
I genuinely think you should propose this to the cpa or at your club agm to be brought as a motion to congress.

There are small negatives.

Groups of 5 increase the risk of dead rubbers. To be honest though I think it is better earlier in a tournament and so is better than our current system.

A very small tweak would be to have 3 from each group qualify but then you could have a situation where a team has lost 4 from 6 matches and can be still in the All Ireland series so I think your 2 going through is better.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 2046 - 15/07/2018 13:57:45    2122069

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "I genuinely think you should propose this to the cpa or at your club agm to be brought as a motion to congress.

There are small negatives.

Groups of 5 increase the risk of dead rubbers. To be honest though I think it is better earlier in a tournament and so is better than our current system.

A very small tweak would be to have 3 from each group qualify but then you could have a situation where a team has lost 4 from 6 matches and can be still in the All Ireland series so I think your 2 going through is better."
Thanks, I've outlined the basics. The minute detail would have to be teased out by the powers that be.

A GAA ranking could be used at the end of the championship;
1. All-Ireland winner
2. All-Ireland runners-up
3-4. All-Ireland semi-finalists (League placing to decide 3 and 4.)
5-8. All-Ireland quarter-finalists (LP - League placing.)
9-12. Third placed teams (LP)
13-16. Fourth placed teams. (LP)
17-20. Fifth placed teams. (LP)
21. Championship II winner.
22. Championship II runners-up.
23-24. Championship II semi-finalists. (LP)
25-28. Championship II quarter-finalists. (LP)
29-32. All remaining teams. (LP)

The GAA ranking could be used for provincial draws of the following year. It could aid avoidance of dead rubbers as teams look to finish as high as possible. It could mean a provincial bye in the following year or avoiding big teams.

The GAA ranking could be some form of wrap around ranking. The ranking ar the end of the championship as outlined above. The ranking at the end of the next league being a mix of the previous championship and current league. It'll be a very dynamic ranking, with teams fully in control of their destiny every year to move up or down.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 5438 - 15/07/2018 14:18:53    2122079

Link

I like this idea as well - max of 11 games for an Uls Prelim Rd winner to win Sam (Prov 4, Group 4, AI Series 3; - or Prov 2, Quals 2, Group 4, AI Series 3).
How would NFL work - unchanged 4x8 ?

omahant (USA) - Posts: 1232 - 17/07/2018 04:38:54    2122976

Link

Replying To omahant:  "I like this idea as well - max of 11 games for an Uls Prelim Rd winner to win Sam (Prov 4, Group 4, AI Series 3; - or Prov 2, Quals 2, Group 4, AI Series 3).
How would NFL work - unchanged 4x8 ?"
1A, 1B, 2A and 2B;
Divisions of 6.
Top 2 into division final.
Division winners promoted. (Obviously not the case for top division.)
Bottom team relegated.

3A and 3B;
Divisions of 4.
Play on home and away basis.
No need for finals as teams will have played each other twice in a fair home and away format.
Top team promoted and division winner.
Bottom team from 3A relegated.

This league structure and proposed All-Ireland structure cab easily run from beginning of February to the middle of August. This also has considered time for hurling fixtures.

County club championships and provincial club championships can easily be completed from mid August to the end of November.

legendzxix (Kerry) - Posts: 5438 - 17/07/2018 17:53:32    2123242

Link