Louth Forum

Popular Posts from LaLu

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

GAA Clubs Had It Tough In The North During The Troubles - 7 Like(s)
This was a nasty article towards a small rural club who lifted their community by their heroics this year. They were far from negative and simply met a better team. I was at the match and whilst the Naomh Eanna team conducted themselves with class, the same could not be said for many of their supporters. Interesting that the model of GAA moral decency thought that booing the referee was amusing. Yet again absence of accurate fact does not stop Self Promotion boy from spouting with authority. He has found his level with the paper he writes such nastiness for.

LaLu (National) - 28/01/2019 12:54:02

Colin Kelly has resigned - 3 Like(s)
The measure of a manager is if he leaves a county in a better place than he found them. Although, I would question some of what happened re team tactics and fall outs with players/County Board, there is no disputing that Colin took a team that were in Division 3 and has left them in Division 2, after his three years. I don't buy that the league left players tired, and I would agree totally that we struggled on the whole to solve defensive frailties. However, days this year, like the wins in Offaly, Laois and Tipperary were a real boost to the county. The players on Saturday looked flat from the start, and it was apparent that there was no appetite for this campaign to continue. On the whole, over the past 24 months, I do think that the Group performed greater than the sum of their parts. Finally, anyone who saw Colin Kelly standing on the side-line on the day of his mother's wake, would have an increased respect for his dedication to Louth's cause. From what I can see, we may well have a CK junior featuring in circa 10 years time too!

LaLu (Louth) - 19/06/2017 16:49:13

Spiddal Potential All Ireland Champs - 3 Like(s)
I saw these boys in Tuam on my way back from a weekend in Galway. As you might guess from my name, I ain't a Gaway man but their spirit, passion and skill have me convinced. I will head to Navan and Croker if they get there because their style of football is so enjoyable. An Spideal and Gaobh Dobhair to win Intermediate and Senior would be just perfect. Dundalk Young Irelanders for my dream treble. Life is short, back your county men. Especially when they play football like An Spideal!!

LaLu (Galway) - 27/12/2018 21:42:40

Limerick Victory Scenes - 2 Like(s)
Class message by WildPundit. Fair play to you.

LaLu (National) - 30/06/2019 22:10:34

Tipp V Louth - 2 Like(s)
In one way, it is hard to credit such a turnaround from beating Tipp in Thurles last year. However, only four of the team that started in 2017, started yesterday. That is an amazing level of turnover, from what was a new enough team last year. Some of it was enforced, but there were players whom were involved last year, like Paddy Reilly and James Stewart, and I struggle to understand how they are not starting this year. It is apparent that promotion came a year or two, early, and in reality, the loss to Armagh last year probably indicated that. Nonetheless, calls to remove manager, ignore the county set-up etc. are not sensible. Although we all see mistakes being made on the pitch and on the line, the need for support and backing a young group that is struggling, is greater than ever. So I for one will continue to do so. I will hope that the sight of a Meath jersey might stoke some fires. And I will wonder if facing a confident Carlow, with most of our own giving us no chance at all, might not be a bad way to head into a championship match. It certainly benefited Carlow in 2011. It takes a particularly low form of life to gloat in the difficulties of his own people. Being semi-literate is no excuse!

LaLu (Louth) - 12/03/2018 12:10:16

Adrian Tuohy - 2 Like(s)
Austin Gleason should be banned. It is beyond stupid for a Waterford player to interfere with a helmet after all the controversy of the past few weeks. He is a gifted hurler and inspirational so often. However he lets himself down by acts like this, and this is not the first time. Even Loughnane acknowledged that much. And before Deise men start saying what would Louth men know, our own great Cu Chulainn would never do that. A sliothar down a dog's throat is not a red card offence! It is great to see Brick Walsh, Jamie Barron, O'Mahoney et al play in the final, but the Gleesons should not be there,

LaLu (National) - 13/08/2017 22:38:14

Down V Louth - 2 Like(s)
Good posts Ollie and Ped. Certainly pride and hope restored in Louth football. Who would have thought after the Longford match that we would be one home win away from promotion. Thought the backs were immense, Williams, Duffy, Craven or Donoghue could have won MOM. The midfielders won their battles and kicked hree great points. The forwards worked very hard and tracked and ran all day. One great thing about this campaign has been the improvement game on game. One point from play from the forwards does need improvement and the half forwards do need to score more on Saturday. However the composure and belief in each other was so obvious and uplifting for the supporters. Well done also to the most vocal supporters on the day, the Geraldine U10s who continue to bring good luck! Maith sibh Wayne is an foireann uilig.

LaLu (Louth) - 25/03/2019 19:26:48

Louth Juniors! - 1 Like(s)
Perhaps people should attend matches before they share their wisdom. Two players did not score nine pounts each.

LaLu (Louth) - 25/06/2017 19:58:54

Louth v Tipp - 1 Like(s)
What a great day for Louth football. Two years ago, we had probably our darkest day down in Thurles, and to see more or less the same bunch of lads go out and give a second half display like they did today against the All Ireland semi finalist was simply magnificent. They deserve massive credit, not just for back to back promotions, but for the manner in which they bounced back after last week, Lads who had poor games against Armagh, like Eoghan O'Connor, James Stewart and Deccie Byrne were amongst the best performers today. That shows great character and hopefully will shut up those who questioned the commitment or ability of this group. Their tackling, support play and score taking into the breeze especially was excellent today. This is more impressive than the promotion of 2011, given that we earned it with a game to spare and by winning all our away matches. Credit too, to the real Louth supporters who have travelled and backed these boys and greatly out-numbered home supporters today. Colin Kelly has brought this bunch back into the top half of teams, and we can look forward to another day in Croke Park and hopefully a good championship. I am very grateful, and extremely proud and pleased as a Louth man tonight. Now lets go and beat Armagh in Croker Park!!

LaLu (Louth) - 26/03/2017 21:06:33

Aaron Hoey In Louth Team Of The Week - 1 Like(s)
A good thread this, as it made me realise that there probably was not enough commentary on Aaron's massive dedication to Louth football when he did retire from the inter-county scene. I saw him first as a half back on a Dundalk CBS team that won a Leinster U16. The accuracy of his passing and his sheer strength on the ball was very obvious at that stage. He played in the full forward line in his first year with the county and subsequently played in the half forwards, half backs and eventually full back to solve a problem there. I remember him playing against Galway in the league, several hours after his grandmother's funeral - she who had been at so many of his matches, over the years. One always knew Aaron would give 100%, every time he wore the Louth jersey. Over the years with the club, he has been consistently excellent, year after year. Man of the match, I think with 10 points in the club final, Ollie. So to think he is on the team of the week, at 41, is incredible, albeit knowing the man, no great surprise. I see youngsters with him before the Louth games, so I hope they keep the proud Hoey tradition going, and a third generation represent the county in the near future. And with the way the Brides are going this year, he might have another medal by September!

LaLu (Louth) - 20/07/2018 17:15:38

Laois V Louth - 1 Like(s)
Well done to Louth on a great result. Hopefully there a few mocking tramps sick tonight to be proven to be wrong as well as disloyal.

LaLu (Louth) - 02/02/2019 17:23:08

Final Nail In The Coffin - 1 Like(s)
With the acceptation of London maybe, I'd expect all of the others to beat Louth. This is probably the poorest Louth squad to represent the county that I can remember in the last 40 years. THE_SNAPPER (Louth) - Posts: 1971 - 26/05/2019 16:56:33 I fully expect your point of view. I would not except any different from you. You are the expectation to every rule..........

LaLu (Louth) - 13/06/2019 15:57:09

O Byrne Cup Draw: - 1 Like(s)
Very encouraging last night. Some of the weaknesses from Saturday, as highlighted by Pete, improved upon already, such as taking goal chances. Tadhg took his two very well and Tommy had a great chance only for the ref to make a ridiculous decision and award a free out. Thought the defence in the second half especially, was very disciplined and strong in the tackle. The new faces from both days have showed plenty of promise. Some nice options in the backs, with Carolan, and Khan impressing. Grufferty looked a great option around the middle and Woods, Nally, Butler and McEnanaey have taken nice scores and looked at home so far. I agree with 1961 about Andy and Tommy and already the move of Bevan to centre half back looks a real solution in that key role. So I would certainly leave Pete there until after the Down game anyhow.................

LaLu (Louth) - 04/01/2018 12:57:41

All-Ireland Club Finals On St. Patrick's Day - 1 Like(s)
As a neutral watching, I thought both teams were a credit over the two days. However, the man in the middle today was truly shocking imo and was a major factor in Cuala's win. That said, Cuala's rise over recent years in a non typical GAA territory is inspiring and I don't begrudge them their glory at all!

LaLu (National) - 24/03/2018 20:57:15

Spiddal Potential All Ireland Champs - 1 Like(s)
Little went right for An Spideal from the very start. Naomh Eanna were bigger and faster and deserved the win. Thought Spideal give it their all and can hold their heads high. Great season. Was a semi neutral at the start because it is great to see new teams from Belfast featuring. However the jeering and booing from their supporters was obnoxious so any goodwill towards them is gone now. Lacked any form of grace, especially when their team was playing so well. Maith sibh Spideal d'fhan sibh usual.

LaLu (Galway) - 20/01/2019 19:31:17

O Byrne Cup Draw 2017 - 1 Like(s)
Recent years have shown us in Louth that the gap between our strongest 15, and our next 15 is not that big. I fail to see why people are so surprised that the Dublin team today with All Ireland club, 21 and minor medals in their pockets would be as strong as they were. From a Louth perspective, I would agree that the changes a few minutes into the second half should have been made at half time. I also agree that the wides and balls falling short in the first half cost us dearly. However, there were, as always, plenty of positives. The defending in the first half was excellent. Pepe kicked five points from play which is a very good return against a Dublin team. Following a very poor 20 minutes in the second half the team showed character again to battle back, and had they not made a silly mistake for the Dublin goal, might well have narrowed the gap further. This was important heading into the Laois match, as a full 35 minutes like the first 20 would have been very demoralising. Louth were the better side in the first half and certainly left circa 1-5 behind them. It did appear that we started only three potentially scoring forwards and as it turned out only two of those scored in the match. Duffy, McKeever and Stewart are good lads but are never likely to kick many scores, A key lesson for the Laois match is that we need at least one other scoring forward starting, be that Burns or Mulroy (I gather Byrne is suspended). Anyhow, the O'Byrne cup has shown us an improving Louth team, with a stronger panel which is great, and confirmed that the GAA has created a monster in Dublin, which is not so great for everyone else!

LaLu (Louth) - 29/01/2017 20:30:27

Laois V Louth - 1 Like(s)
Great to see Tommy Durnin on team of the week. Fair play to him for bouncing back so well after the frustration of the previous week

LaLu (Louth) - 04/02/2019 21:08:21

Tipperary v Armagh - 1 Like(s)
Well done Armagh. Seems Kearns whining about referees did not work this time!!

LaLu (National) - 15/07/2017 23:10:20

Louth V Carlow - 1 Like(s)
I agree totally Ped, things are certainly looking up. What a great position to be in to have a strong panel and hard selection choices to make. I agree Jim Mc needs to start along with Eoghan Duffy. Their introduction was crucial in turning momentum Louth's way, and the half forward line was struggling in the first 25 minutes. It is very hard not to include Derek Maguire and whilst John Clutterbuck has not done much wrong, I don't think he was undroppable after Sunday. He missed a point that he should have got and looked a little casual once or twice. I still rate him and it is a tough call between himself, Anthony Williams and Derek Maguire. In relation to Ryan Burns, he was one of our best against Laois, so it is hard not to include him again. As it turns out, I think James Califf is not available on Saturday night, so your point about keeping Ciaran Downey No8CUTN can also be accommodated. I would go Sheeky, Donoghue, Carolan, Craven, Maguire, B Duffy, Williams, McDonnell, Durnin, E Duffy, McEnaney, Downey, Burns, Mulroy, Byrne. Brannigan and Nally to come into the forwards with 20 to go. It would be a great statement to beat Carlow down there after the humiliation of last May. Here we go for Four in a Row!

LaLu (Louth) - 26/02/2019 10:32:15

New Louth Manager - 1 Like(s)
I share the optimism and enthusiasm voiced by most re Pete McGrath. Ped mentions honour and 1961 refers to integrity. These traits combined with his knowledge and history of success, suggest a great appointment. Let Snappers scoot and Scooters snap, be they one and the same. Most of us, like Ollie said, will look forward to 2018!

LaLu (Louth) - 28/09/2017 23:29:32