Antrim Forum

Popular Posts from SaffronDon

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Kieran Donaghy is still the King of the opposing square - 7 Like(s)

Replying To galwayted:  "Ever since he put the great Francie Bellew on his ass back in 2006 he has been the most feared forward in the country from a backs prospective.How in hells name would you sleep the night before if you thought you had to mark that lad in Croke Park"
I'd say there was no sleep lost in the McMahon household in Tyrone the night before 08 final when similar stuff was being written. Dublin seem to have his measure as well. He has been a top player but you'd think he was a one man team listening to the likes of Brolly and others crow about him. For a high fielder could he be in a better team in terms of service from midfield and half forward?

SaffronDon (National) - 31/07/2017 21:21:11

Stephen Cluxton 100 - 7 Like(s)

Replying To clondalkindub:  "I don't even care if they think he's the best or not (we all know he is it's not even close)but to not all come on and say "wow what an achievement to be the first player to make a 100 even if I don't agree with you calling him the Goat" But no jealously and hatred for all things Dublin is as strong as ever."
If you want your "wow what an achievement" reaction then post it on the Dublin forum!

SaffronDon (National) - 05/06/2019 11:50:51

Meath V Dublin Leinster Final. - 6 Like(s)
Any chance Jim Gavin fancies a challenge in Ireland's 2nd city? Even he must be getting bored at this stage

SaffronDon (National) - 23/06/2019 17:35:32

Kerry V Kildare - 6 Like(s)
Poor form from the home crowd spilling out a good 10 minutes before the end while their team puts on a 2nd half scoring display. That's a bit sour towards a young squad

SaffronDon (National) - 04/08/2018 19:34:30

Did Jonny Cooper dive? - 6 Like(s)

Replying To Joxer:  "Just saw it again myself. Was he caught at speed by an arm from McManus to the head area? It's clear that he was and was entitled to go down. It was a clear yellow card offence. He seemed genuinely shook and still down for a while after the card was issued. This was no hair toss issue. Mountain out of a mole hill."
are you going to pollute the air with more bs ffs? just call it what it was for a change, pathetic!

SaffronDon (National) - 06/08/2017 23:09:50

GAA Clubs Had It Tough In The North During The Troubles - 6 Like(s)
while I dont particularly like the agenda Brolly constantly pushes in his articles and the good guy/bad guy scenarios he often portrays. He is 100% right to highlight some of the inhumane atrocities suffered by club members of St. Enda's down through the dark years of the troubles. The club have suffered more than any I can think of and when they do achieve something fantastic as a team, those who arent lucky enough to be around to revel in the glory should be remembered and i know the same happens at my own club when we win a championship. especially lads lost to sectarian murder are remembered in a moment hard to describe beyond bitter sweet. Frankly, some of the posts from SOME of the Southern lads on this topic are ignorant at best and disgraceful at worst. when we listen to the poor mouth given about clubs in the south finding it hard to cope because of migration to the city or abroad at least nobody was killed or the club burned to the ground. St. Enda's had club leaders murdered for no other reason than they could be identified as a catholic as well as the many other attacks on club property etc and the club survived and are now reaping the rewards of a new era but its all b#ll#cks and nonsense to some!

SaffronDon (National) - 29/01/2019 00:20:16

Dublin refusing to do one-on-one broadcast interviews - 5 Like(s)

Replying To hill16no1man:  "But he doesn't get involved every game He is beeing targeted and some games responds. Your tv cameras won't show you that so you need to actually attend and see the actual level he gets. people use the line all players get this to an extent but not to the extent he gets it literally starts before throw in and lasts till full time. You have pundits basically saying it's only way to curb his influence and last year westmeath manager after the game said it was a clear tactic of theirs to try get him sent off. You don't hear that about any other top player. he reacts yes but the amount of stuff he gets his reaction is only a fraction of the games compared to the agressors on him that go unpunished, do they get highlighted and howcome the cccc don't review these incidents id they don't just go by the Sunday game hysteria? If somebody was constantly breaking into your house and stealing and you keep reporting to the garda and they never do anything I'm sure you would get sick of it and try and stop them yourself.if you don't stick up for yourself on the pitch you will get walked all over. It's officials not doing their jobs t the end of the day that let's agressors keep targetting and then the world and its mother goes bananas when somebody gets fed up being kicked slapped, verbally abused and turns around and gives them a taste of their own medicine."
"if your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him" Sun Tzu at around 500BC, but sure that was before DC and Hill came along. a timeless philosophy needs rewritten for this exceptional circumstance.

SaffronDon (National) - 27/06/2017 14:09:30

Should GAA intercounty teams persue AFL players - 5 Like(s)
call me old fashioned but I prefer the ol traditional greyhounds chasing rabbits approach

SaffronDon (National) - 15/10/2016 20:31:12

When Will Dublin Knock Kerry Off Their Perch? - 5 Like(s)

Replying To Fionn:  "To all the older posters on here - have Kerry folk always whinged so much or is it just now because the Dubs are winning again. ???"
Nah sure when Tyrone, Donegal and Armagh were winning AI's it was puke football and not done the 'right way' etc. Taking a beating graciously seems to be a task for many from the kingdom unfortunately.

SaffronDon (National) - 17/09/2019 21:36:15

Just in case you doubted the Anti Dublin felings.. - 5 Like(s)
there's simply not enough attention in this world for Dublin is there

SaffronDon (National) - 05/01/2017 16:19:58

Super Eights Even Favour Dublin. - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Triple H:  "Am I right in saying that Dublin were the only team in their four man group that had home advantage twice. Roscommon, Tyrone and Donegal only had one match at home. As another well known sports commentator across the water says ' Unbelievable Geoff '. Dublin and by the country mile are the best team in the land but time we clamp down on such favouritism."
Have you been on holiday for a few months or what?

SaffronDon (National) - 03/09/2018 17:19:41

Charlie Redmond's Jim McGuinness comments - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Aido69:  "No not at all. The 'standard reactive/defensive Dublin response to criticism' is hardly just a Dublin phenomenon. You only have to look at the response of the Donegal lads reaction to anything negative said about JimMc on this thread, justified or not as a case in point. A."
you should maybe take a look at the Donegal reaction when somebody criticised one of their backroom staff members behaviour on the touchline last week. Most if not all called him what he was, an embarrassment. No whataboutery like we see time and again on anything involving Dublin.

SaffronDon (National) - 19/07/2017 15:20:18

GAA Clubs Had It Tough In The North During The Troubles - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Richieq:  "Everyone had it tough in the North during that period, and some in the south too, putting a GAA club forward as being a bigger sufferer or in need of more recognition for surviving is neither necessary or warranted in my opinion"
So when a small club with a dark history are finally enjoying some success in the game and somebody highlights significant moments they have overcome in their history you see that as unnecessary and unwarranted? Your level of empathy towards fellow Gaels is really quite sad!

SaffronDon (National) - 29/01/2019 10:54:50

Murphy v EOG - 4 Like(s)
Joxer if ISIS wore Dublin jerseys you'd be a sympathiser

SaffronDon (National) - 08/08/2016 19:07:03

Diarmuid Connolly Genius - 4 Like(s)
another Dublin player appreciation thread...yawn

SaffronDon (National) - 06/06/2016 21:01:21

Kerry 4 In A Row V Dublin 5 In A Row - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Kerrymanlegend:  "Think Kerry 4 in a row is more impressive as they used the exact same 15 players year in year out and had no subs whereas the Dublin team changed every year from 2015 to 2019.."
There's no way that Kerry team was better. God love them they had no money to make them better and look at the population compared to Dublin. That's what you've been telling us makes a team so great on here so a bit silly to bring up this comparison.

SaffronDon (National) - 18/09/2019 19:42:21

Is Dublin's Success False, Tarnished And Bought? - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Kurt_Angle:  "What a gross exaggeration! Certain larger Dublin clubs will provide young kids with a hurley and a helmet when they turn up. They do not get these items for free - they are given back at the end of training / matches. This is purely an effort to get more kids involved in the sport and not to exclude kids whose families might struggle to provide such items. Quoting a "friend of a friend" will invariably result in spouting nonsense - "free helmets and hurls for every under age player in Dublin", my eye!"
I already said fair enough. Some of you lads need to wind the neck in. You'd think you owned Hoganstand as well as the GAA ;)

SaffronDon (National) - 10/09/2018 16:17:09

Dublin refusing to do one-on-one broadcast interviews - 4 Like(s)

Replying To poguemahone:  "By monopoly, ye mean there is more Dublin posters than other counties? Does that not balance out then when posters from other counties who have no obvious rivalry with Dublin (eg Antrim) get stuck in on debates involving Dublin too? Dublin get 90 odd comments cos , like it or not, they cause and divide opinion whereby Antrim don't. It's just the way it is. Folk talk and analyse Dublin more than other counties whether folk like it or not. I don't like plenty of posts and comments started by some Dubs and likewise from other country posters. Like the comments here, folk foaming at the mouth about nothing in particular except it involves the name 'Dublin'."
from a personal perspective I usually ignore the majority of Dublin related threads. A lot of them are started by Dublin posters who seem to want to dangle topics in front of the rest of the country on the main page and then get offended when people from other counties respond to what's in front of them. Dublin are also the reigning AI champions and are happy to take the praise for just that but any criticism seems almost unspeakable to a few on here. Kerry and Tyrone went through the exact same when they were dominant. Controversy is perspective no matter what the sport. what more can really be said on yesterday's game?

SaffronDon (National) - 26/06/2017 18:54:43

Rochford Resigns - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Jim didn't do himself any favours with that article in the times last week so LJ More or less advocating Tyrone play THREE sweepers and leave 13 behind the ball at all times and for a 0-3 0-2 win......... yuck"
I read his article. All he did was highlight how Dublin played. He labelled it an extreme brand of football, which it is, it's risk free football, it's cautious and at times there is little interest in taking scores for the greater cause. McGuinness highlighted two ways for Tyrone to approach Dublin's extreme tactics if they had any hope of beating the team going for 4 in a row. One of the two, which everyone fixated on was the extreme sweeper plan of not allowing Dublin players into the 45 to see if their own philosophy of only entering the 45 when there is an opening would be broken. Extreme vs extreme. The other plan was a lot less extreme which suits people to ignore. It had more risks but was about executing a quick transition from where Dublin start their attacks. You can tell he put a lot of thought into these ideas and his write up should have been viewed as a fantastic insight into Sundays final. But i suppose the narrative for the avaerage pundit/journalist is to heap praise on the Dubs and how good they are and how Tyrone won't stand a chance and better not dare ruin the final with 'negative' football or tactics. Giving Dublin a free pass as well as a pat on the back even though they kill as many if not more contests than the rest with their own extreme brand. The criticism towards Mcguinness is without merit. I think I'll take the words of the last man to create a plan that beat Dublin the championship than listen to a green eyed barrister who couldn't coach a team of under 12s. Unless we are all to accept Dublin winning all Ireland's as an annual event that is!

SaffronDon (National) - 29/08/2018 10:31:22

Diarmuid Connolly has done it all - 3 Like(s)
ANOTHER Connolly appreciation thread? how much more can be said about one man? I'm sure the obsessive could switch this to the Dublin forum, no?

SaffronDon (National) - 11/10/2016 20:48:12