All-Ireland MH B final: Quickfire Carlow goals break Meath resistance

June 29, 2019

Carlow's Michael Joyce with Conor McGovern Meath during the Peadar Lehane Cup final at Pairc Tailteann

Goals in the 48th and 50th minutes ensured Carlow saw off a resilient Meath in the Peader Lehane Cup final at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday afternoon. To view photos click here

Carlow ...... 3-17
Meath ....... 2-12

Midway through the second-half, Carlow led by the minimum after Meath captain James Murray placed Jack Lanigan for a point.

Moments later Murray was wide at the hospital end from a long range free, that if pointed would have tied the teams for a sixth time. 

Then came Carlow's two-goal salvo. Jake Doyle second goal was followed by Jack McCullagh's sideline cut to leave it 3-13 to 1-12. 

Carlow moved eight clear before Murray goaled from a 20-metre free in the 53rd minute. It only provided temporary respite for Meath as the visitors closed in on the silverware with three unanswered points. 

Carlow owed much to forwards Martin Keogh and Conor McGovern who contributed 0-7 and 2-1 respectively to their tally. 

Having lost by 20 points to Carlow in the Leinster MHC, Meath showed great character here. Two pointed sideline cuts by the team captain in the third quarter were a highlight of the Royals display. 

The first leveled matters for the fifth and final time leaving it 1-10-each after 33 minutes. 

For the most part conditions were excellent, calm and overcast. By the time the sun shone Carlow were on course to claim the Peader Lehane Cup. 

But the Cork-man who contributed much to Boardsmill and Meath hurling might been pleased with the manner in which the side representing his adopted county acquitted themselves. 

Meath were first to show, netting in the second minute when Luke Horan's speculative delivered from half-way wound up in the town net. Scott Treacy opened the Carlow account  before the Royals moved moved four points clear after four minutes.

Jack Lanigan and Horan pointed for Meath to leave it 1-2 to 0-1. Conor McGovern was to the fore as Meath moved five ahead, 1-4 to 0-2, after 10 minutes. 

Carlow's response was 1-6 in the next 15 minutes and on a couple of occasions looked as it they would add to Jake Doyle's 12th minute goal. 

By the 27th minute the Barrowsiders were 1-9 to 1-6 ahead after Louis Brennan's fine point., 

To their credit Meath closed out the half with a trio of points with Justin Coyne starting the sequence. A brace of Conor McGovern frees left it level at the break, 1-9 to 1-9, 

Carlow - Jake Somers; Sean Joyce, Michael Joyce, Lorcan Doyle; Tadhg Doran, Patrick Kavanagh, Niall Bolger (JC): Fiachra Fitzpatrick (0-1), Jack McCullagh (1-0 sl); Louis Brennan (0-2), Scott Treacy (0-3), Fiach O'Toole (0-2); Conor Kehoe (JC) (0-7, 6fs), Jake Doyle (2-1), Ben Bolger. Subs - Evan Kealy for Bolger (43), Jason Wall for Brennan (46), Ciaran Lonergan for McGovern (60 +1), Lee Walsh (0-1) for Keogh (60 + 1), Diarmuid Deacon for Joyce (60 + 4).  

Meath - Conor Lyons; Gavin McVann, Gary Fleming, Shane Clarke; Cathal Smith, Dylan Farrell, Adam Boyle; James Murray (C) (1-2, 1-0 f, 0-2 sl), Luke Horan (1-1); Alex O'Kane, Jack Lanigan (0-2), Justin Coyne (0-1); Martin Keogh, Conor McGovern (0-6, 4fs),Cathal McKeon. Subs - Lee Walsh for O'Kane (30), Aaron Traynor for Boyle (37), Lee Coldrick for McKeon (48), Niall O'Leary for Farrell (60), Robert Ennis for McVann  (60 + 2).

Referee - Adam Kinihan (Offaly)

Most Read Stories