Wicklow Forum

Football Rule Changes and Implications for Wicklow

(Oldest Posts First)

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=204060

I urge all GAA football fans in Wicklow to watch this video link.

As we all know new changes are coming in as and from 1st of Jan.

Now, firstly I am not somebody who bashes referrers on this forum. But I do believe fellow Gaels in Wicklow will agree we are lagging behind in terms of a high standard of referees across the board.

My biggest criticism of referees in Wicklow is the complete inconsistency when implementing rules. For example, what is a free against one team somehow 5 minutes later is not a free again the other. I find this most frustrating!

For this reason I have a huge concern on this new black card rule!

I have been at matches where the referee's have approached the line and said "get him off before I send him off" Now in my opinion (not that it means a whole lot) the job of the referee is to implement the rules consistently across the duration of the game not manage the teams! I have seen this so many times not to be the case. I often say "you don't mind a bad ref once he is bad on both teams" A foul is a foul and if that means a red card well then that's what it is.

One of the new black card offenses is - Threaten or to use abusive or provocative or gestures to an opponent or teammate. This can be used in any situation where a ref has a grudge against someone. We all know this goes on!

The standard of refereeing in Wicklow needs serious improvement and accountability very quickly if these rules are not to have a detrimental effect in Wicklow.

My question is, how is this to be achieved?
Constructive criticism would be they way to go here lads.

intheback (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 05/11/2013 19:10:37    1509630

Link

Intheback
I regularly go to matches in other counties and read post from
Around the country
Wicklow is no diffetent than any other county.
But we do like to blame refs for all our short comings. Yes we could
Improve refs over all standard as could all counties. Good refs bad
Refs.in every sport.
One of our best young refs has been abused two weeks running
Now his latest in aughrim on sunday.
How come he done the all ireland minor semi early this year and
This week he isn't good enough to ref int wicklow semi in some
Peoples opinions.
Are these the same people you want to comment on this thread

Skits (Wicklow) - Posts: 212 - 05/11/2013 19:53:58    1509645

Link

The black card is going to be a huge problem and tbh I really can't see it lasting...First of all, many junior teams will often not have enough players to continue substituting in ...

Secondly, the majority of the black card rules are down to referee interpretation of whether or not a foul was intentional.this may seem like nothing but there are plenty of times that a forward may for instance run across and in fornt of the defende in order to trip over the defenders feet and win a foul. thats fair enough as it is a foul unles teh defender backs off..but that is not an intentional foul on the defenders part, but is often described as such by both pundits and referees..this is just one of many examples I could give .. the more rules that are left up to referee interpretation the more problems there will be...The terrible inconsistencies between different refs we are used to seeing in many GAA matches, throughout both this county and others will only be increased...

The majority of these "black" card offenses should be made yellow card offenses and intentional/cynical fouls on players going in on goal or fouls on players to try and close the game out should be made red cards..this would be a much better, much more efficient way of solving the problem, and it would also be much easier to implement as teams would not need subs every time a player is pulled to the ground...

yourman (Wicklow) - Posts: 235 - 05/11/2013 20:42:27    1509669

Link

Intheback,
Wicklow footballers need to learn to tackle properly.

wicklowrunner (Wicklow) - Posts: 637 - 05/11/2013 21:51:04    1509706

Link

Skits
For starters this is not about 1 particular ref
The level of inconsistency in Wicklow in my opinion is a worrying standard

Wicklow Runner
Nothing to do with tackling. You being a ref should no the new rules stretch much further than that.
That's what is worrying me.

intheback (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 06/11/2013 09:18:25    1509719

Link

Actually I think it will have a huge amount to do with tackling.

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 07/11/2013 16:05:20    1510455

Link

JUNIOR TEAMS WONT BE ABLE TO CONTINUE MAKING SUBSTITUTES...???

EXACTLY THE POINT

The black card has been introduced to improve our game by cutting out synical and intentional fouls.... If a team is tackling properly and is being taught or learns the correct way then there will be no issues... Of course some times the ref will get the call wrong when an accident looks like an intentional foul... It is going to improve our game for the supporters to watch and improve the skill set of players as they will have to adapt to tacking correctly... This will hinder alot of players who havent got that much football but get by by being hatcher men (what we have to many of in this county) but in fact will allow our counties top FOOTBALLERS to prosper....

Anyone who can't see this as a positive move to unearth and improve our players skillsets throughout the county is just foolish....

On referees there is no doubt they will be a disaster implementing the new rules and some players will see the line because they are not liked or for wrong decisions... But poor refereeing thats nothing new to this county either...

If football is played the way it should be with clean fair tackling and no synical play then these new rules shouldnt make an odds...

All in all its only going to improve our county as a whole and allow us play more attractive skiled football....

Thank you and goodnight

Messy (Wicklow) - Posts: 39 - 07/11/2013 20:52:12    1510615

Link