Wexford Forum

U21 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cragask:  "Finially someone with a little persecpective. Frankly reading the vulture brigade and there post mortem results has been both embarrassing and entertaining in equal sense. So easy to appear from the bushes after a big defeat when the same crowd have been nowhere to be seen all year and yet suddenly they feel its apprporiate to come on here amd crtiique everything from cul camps to lamenting our hurling history, its simply pathetic.

We were beaten by a superb cork team containing 8 senior panelists and 5/6 lads who have have been senior regulars for 2 years picking up 2 munster medals in the process. We were down Joe O' Connor who has been outstanding all year, rory o connor the most gifted 19 year old in the country and conal flood whois an outstanding prospect. We needd to get real.Lads suddenly decide to come on here and tear into lads , easy kick them when there down. Darren byrne who has been top class in every game this year and will be a wexford senior very soon has been subjected to critisim after 1 game where he didn't dominate his direct oppenent. Byrne is a quality young hurler but had a tough day against a 6 foot 4 full forward and yet still only coincided 2-1 to him,2 rebound goals and 1 from a mix up. Lads need to cope onto themselves!!

We will still get 5/6 from that under 21 team easily , Darren Byrne, Damien Reck,Joe O' Connor,Rory O Connor, seamus Casey Conal flood (when fit), Rory Higgins, .Athough hIggins is light,he is a very talented hurler, go watch him for hes club. Our forwards gopt very little service last saturday so its hard to judge. When you add in those lads with the returning Ian Byrne & Jack Guiney and blend them into the exisiting group with some restructuring we still have a very strong competitive senior team. Ross Banville from the Shels is another very exciting prospect and one id expect to be in the senior panel next year, surprised he wasnt with the 21s this year.

Our Minors very weak enough this year but if we can continue to get 2/3 from every group we'll be ok. We've had good success at under 21 level, 4 leinster finals winning 3, 2 all ireland final appearances in 5 years is a good record. Or Minor record needs to improve but keep the faith!!"
Just on Darren Byrne, he injured himself midway through the 1st half. He came out for the 2nd half dragging his leg, i couldn't believe that he was allowed start the 2nd half as the lad could barely run. Cragask is correct we will get a number of lads off this team for senior, we are not in a position to be ruling lads in or out based on a poor performance. I thought Seamus Casey was very good, he did something with every ball he got on and battled hard scoring 3 from play and striking a lovely line ball also. I also felt Conor Hearne from the shels looked lively when introduced.

logger (Wexford) - Posts: 255 - 07/08/2018 13:15:22    2130416

Link

i did wonder that if darren byrne was injured.
ian byrne returning?jack guiney?maybe byrne,guiney maybe not.
i think to be fair cragaks it is an absolute fair set of questions being asked.we have had a very very very very poor year.
- minors : bet nobody.annihilated by kilkenny.
- u21 : bet a dublin team,unlucky in the final yes,but completely out classed.yes a great cork team,but we need that to be the bar,not dublin or a gallant effort v galway.
- seniors : bet a few in league,nobody else.

and this is without even mentioning football.which was even worse.

nobody want to be asking these questions,but the above is an abject record.combined with poor schools record,no hurling in schools in the northern halve of the county worth noting,walkovers galore at underage?

do you think all is rosy in the garden?i dont.in fact,after the progress of the liam ryan/conor mc/aidan nolan u21 teams,i think we are now regressing and we need to ask why.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3900 - 07/08/2018 15:26:26    2130468

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i did wonder that if darren byrne was injured.
i think to be fair cragaks it is an absolute fair set of questions being asked.we have had a very very very very poor year.
- u21 : bet a dublin team,unlucky in the final yes,but completely out classed.yes a great cork team,but we need that to be the bar,not dublin or a gallant effort v galway.

nobody want to be asking these questions,but the above is an abject record.combined with poor schools record,no hurling in schools in the northern halve of the county worth noting,walkovers galore at underage?

do you think all is rosy in the garden?i dont.in fact,after the progress of the liam ryan/conor mc/aidan nolan u21 teams,i think we are now regressing and we need to ask why."
Nobody is disputing it wasn't a great year overall in terms of progress or results. What my initial post was referring to was the hysteric and overreaction and over analysis of the under 21 defeat. Fellas like yourself and others need to get some perspective. This under 21 team was the best in leinster this year ,beat dublin and would of comfortably seen off kk had we played them and were literally seconds away from winning our fourth leinster title in 5 years yet lads are whinging on here about the apparent state of wexford hurling and critiquing everything from the purpose of cul camps to coaches which is the typical overeaction that has become a hallmark of our county. we have a good pool of talent in the county,get out and watch club games and you may be surprised. I dont live in the county anymore but have attended alarge volume of club games at varying levels this year and i have to say i have been really impressed with the quality on show. Just look at the scoring and competitive nature of even just the senior championship if you want an indication of the club scene!

Ive already referenced that our minor team was both young and weak this year, dont forget to allow the fact that a large proporation of that team will be there again next year. As long as were consistantly competitive at minor and under 21 we will continue to develop players of the required standard every year. The fact that minor has gone to under 17 hasnot just reduced its significance but has also lowered the standard in my opinion as a year at that age makes a huge difference. I'm not evengoing to repeat myself by discussing our senior team as i've already expressed my views.

I think a major issue we have as regards schools success is the spread of the talent base. kk have all there schools hurling with st kierans and the cbs, we have enniscorthy,gorey,good council and st peters, kilmuckridge and combined colleges.This geographical spready ensures a more even spread of talent but hinders our success at this level. The amount of walkoversis a concern but has more to do with politics and bad fixture management than it does as regards player numbers.

Things aint perfect and there is a massive amount of areas to improve upon but wexford hurling aint in a bad place. I would fear for the footballers however particulrly with the apparent yearly talent drain and constant rebuilding that squad is undergoing.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 07/08/2018 18:37:29    2130558

Link

do you think all is rosy in the garden?i dont.in fact,after the progress of the liam ryan/conor mc/aidan nolan u21 teams,i think we are now regressing and we need to ask why."
You re an incredibly negative man perfect 10. We won a few Leinster u21s when the province was relatively weak at that grade. We havent done well at minor. Yes we have some great young hurlers each year. But not enough in any 1 year to win an All Ireland at these grades. In the last 4 years there has been steady progress at senior level. We have moved up from a pack containing laois, offaly, antrim etc to being near enough at the level of the top 8 teams. This is the 1st time since the late 90s that this has been the case. Yes it wouldve been great to have beaten Kilkenny instead of losing by a point. But I cant remember any time in the last 14 years we even came close to a 1 point championship defeat to them away from the Park . Yes last year we beat them in the championship. But that was in Wexford Park. And we'd played a game. And they were in the middle of their worst season in living memory. This year as the clock ticked towards the 70 minute mark we had every chance of beating a Clare team that could still go on and win it. Yes we did reach 4 QFs in the last 5 years but we werent in with a shout of winning any of the last 3 after 45 minutes. Im as disappointed as the next man that we didnt do better. But I still think I saw progress in 2018. Last year in the championship we beat a poor Kilkenny team at home and werent anywhere close to beating Waterford or Galway. This year we found a few good hurlers, lost a few good hurlers and I think over the year were closer to the top teams as a whole. Some of us supporters need to realise that we may walk before we run.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1273 - 08/08/2018 22:39:00    2131059

Link

You re an incredibly negative man perfect 10. We won a few Leinster u21s when the province was relatively weak at that grade. We havent done well at minor. Yes we have some great young hurlers each year. But not enough in any 1 year to win an All Ireland at these grades. In the last 4 years there has been steady progress at senior level. We have moved up from a pack containing laois, offaly, antrim etc to being near enough at the level of the top 8 teams. This is the 1st time since the late 90s that this has been the case. Yes it wouldve been great to have beaten Kilkenny instead of losing by a point. But I cant remember any time in the last 14 years we even came close to a 1 point championship defeat to them away from the Park . Yes last year we beat them in the championship. But that was in Wexford Park. And we'd played a game. And they were in the middle of their worst season in living memory. This year as the clock ticked towards the 70 minute mark we had every chance of beating a Clare team that could still go on and win it. Yes we did reach 4 QFs in the last 5 years but we werent in with a shout of winning any of the last 3 after 45 minutes. Im as disappointed as the next man that we didnt do better. But I still think I saw progress in 2018. Last year in the championship we beat a poor Kilkenny team at home and werent anywhere close to beating Waterford or Galway. This year we found a few good hurlers, lost a few good hurlers and I think over the year were closer to the top teams as a whole. Some of us supporters need to realise that we may walk before we run.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1273 - 08/08/2018 22:39:17    2131060

Link

i am not being negative,it is being honest.
cragask,what did we do after those u21's?we lost to antrim,gave clare good game of it,were well beaten by limerick another year.
there is no use saying 'we are winning leinster' unless leinster is the summit of our ambition.
i want us to be as good as the best.
at the moment,the best underage setups are all in munster and results are proving it.
you cant just blame politics for walkovers,in life you often have to swallow your pride and get on with it.clubs complain about no matches,then dont field a team?the town of enniscorthy not able to put out a minor team?

look at this,and look at the difference.
http://limerickgaa.ie/games-development-administrator-county-limerick/

https://twitter.com/OfficialWexGAA/status/1027127122354159616

so limerick are looking for an administrator,with "At least 5 years' experience of working in the GAA or similar sporting organisation (Voluntary or Professional Capacity);
Considerable knowledge and experience of GAA coaching and development schemes",just for an administrator role.meanwhile we want a coach who is interested in gaa?one is in an all ireland final,and winning all round them,one is not.
i would say that willie cleary,shane o hanlon,etc are top notch coaches,i cant help wonder below that.

i am sure as well that the cul camps are a babysitting service,proper hurling and football is played and coached in clubs.

as i said earlier,i drive through wexford daily,you rarely see kids out hurling in the town.

if we get our underage right,as limerick and clare have shown,it will come through.but we have to get that right.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3900 - 09/08/2018 09:15:14    2131115

Link

The amount of kids that bring hurls to the matches and swarm Wexford Park at half time is something else

goreyll (Wexford) - Posts: 37 - 09/08/2018 10:05:38    2131132

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i am not being negative,it is being honest.
cragask,what did we do after those u21's?we lost to antrim,gave clare good game of it,were well beaten by limerick another year.
there is no use saying 'we are winning leinster' unless leinster is the summit of our ambition.
at the moment,the best underage setups are all in munster and results are proving it.
you cant just blame politics for walkovers,in life you often have to swallow your pride and get on with it.clubs complain about no matches,then dont field a team?the town of enniscorthy not able to put out a minor team?

so limerick are looking for an administrator,with "At least 5 years' experience of working in the GAA or similar sporting organisation (Voluntary or Professional Capacity);
Considerable knowledge and experience of GAA coaching and development schemes",just for an administrator role.meanwhile we want a coach who is interested in gaa?one is in an all ireland final,and winning all round them,one is not.
i would say that willie cleary,shane o hanlon,etc are top notch coaches,i cant help wonder below that.

i am sure as well that the cul camps are a babysitting service,proper hurling and football is played and coached in clubs.

as i said earlier,i drive through wexford daily,you rarely see kids out hurling in the town.

if we get our underage right,as limerick and clare have shown,it will come through.but we have to get that right."
you are not at all comparing like for like there at all perfect10. One is a full time paid GDA role, which we have already filled in our own set up, and the other is a part time Tusla scheme for unemployed people. They are chalk and cheese and nothing at all comparable so completely pointless to even make an argument that Limerick are doing more by looking for a GDA when we are looking for a part time coach to help our GDA's.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 563 - 09/08/2018 11:15:29    2131157

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i am not being negative,it is being honest.

if we get our underage right,as limerick and clare have shown,it will come through.but we have to get that right."
http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2017/07/games-development-administrator-wexford/

we advertised and acquired one alst year.

list of all current positions and who has filled them

http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/coaching/meet-the-coaches/

comc (Wexford) - Posts: 103 - 09/08/2018 12:45:44    2131191

Link

my point was and is that that is the different standard of coaching in wexford v limerick.i think it is a fair point?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3900 - 09/08/2018 12:48:14    2131193

Link

Plenty of young kids bring hurls to Wexford Park which is great, but do they use them on the days in between matches?

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 914 - 09/08/2018 13:47:42    2131214

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "my point was and is that that is the different standard of coaching in wexford v limerick.i think it is a fair point?"
i dont have any experience of coaching in Limerick so i couldnt hazard a guess.

comc (Wexford) - Posts: 103 - 09/08/2018 14:09:47    2131219

Link

Replying To StoreysTash:  "Plenty of young kids bring hurls to Wexford Park which is great, but do they use them on the days in between matches?"
Looking at the skill of some of them I expect so, they don't learn that from pucking in Wexford Park every few weeks. I know my nephew practically sleeps with his

goreyll (Wexford) - Posts: 37 - 10/08/2018 09:35:50    2131441

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "my point was and is that that is the different standard of coaching in wexford v limerick.i think it is a fair point?"
that is not at all related to your point. You compared 2 completely different roles within the county set up of both counties. The GDA role is filled in Wexford which is what Limerick are now advertising for. The Tusla unemployed scheme has no relevance whatsoever to the role of the GDA.

If you are commenting on the quality of coaching, that is a completely different point and bears no relevance to comparing a full time paid GDA to a part time support coach in a back to work scheme.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 563 - 10/08/2018 10:57:36    2131482

Link