Dublin Forum

Who Are Ya? (Dublin Fans Chant)

(Oldest Posts First)

As a Dub supporter I was a bit embarrassed by the Dubs on terrace who started the 'who are ya?' 'who are ya?'
Mayo fan behind me said 'do you hear the English accents of them?'
In my opinion It was embarrassing and a bit pathetic. Why copy an English soccer chant and put on an English accent?
Are Dubs not capable of making up thier own chant and singing in thier own accent?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 02/02/2020 22:02:54    2264685

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "As a Dub supporter I was a bit embarrassed by the Dubs on terrace who started the 'who are ya?' 'who are ya?'
In my opinion It was embarrassing and a bit pathetic. Why copy an English soccer chant and put on an English accent?
Are Dubs not capable of making up thier own chant and singing in thier own accent?"
Didn't hear it to be honest, I was on the McHale road side mind, but fairly close to the gang behind the goal.

I saw a bit of kerfuffle leaving and the guards heading in there, but don't know what it was about, looked like a load of teenagers.

The crowd and atmosphere was a bit edgy overall I thought, a lot of booing at the ref and free takers and that.

There was a bit of Argo, where I was between a Mayo supporter who shouted the wrong thing at one of their own players and said players family members who were sitting there took exception, all handbags though. I'm always surprised at how often that seems to happen.

Thought it was a bit of an odd atmosphere, I generally think it does be friendly enough Vs Mayo, even down McHale but seemed a bit of spice about last night, was that type of game to mind.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3671 - 02/02/2020 23:23:11    2264706

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "As a Dub supporter I was a bit embarrassed by the Dubs on terrace who started the 'who are ya?' 'who are ya?'
Are Dubs not capable of making up thier own chant and singing in thier own accent?"
This was done in direct response to the group of locked young lads from Mayo who were shaking their beer cans then opening them over Dublin supporters. They then started chanting "go home and chop up your kids" presumably referring to the poor 17 year old killed recently. So in that context I say fair play to them. Context is key!

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 3976 - 03/02/2020 13:00:56    2264833

Link

Replying To Jackeen:  "This was done in direct response to the group of locked young lads from Mayo who were shaking their beer cans then opening them over Dublin supporters. They then started chanting "go home and chop up your kids" presumably referring to the poor 17 year old killed recently. So in that context I say fair play to them. Context is key!"
Ah right I didn't realise that it puts a different complexion on it.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 03/02/2020 13:25:01    2264842

Link