Donegal Forum

Back in business

(Oldest Posts First)

A good wee run out today. Good to see the young fellas out on the pitch and doing well. Impressed now with a few of them. Will be strong enough at Senior U21 and minor this year and should be pushing for ulster in all 3.

EP (Donegal) - Posts: 68 - 03/01/2016 17:49:05    1814268

Link

I thought it was a positive display by Donegal. The new lads did well especially Ciaran Thompson and Caolon Ward. Marty Reilly was excellent at half back and so was Frank McGlynn at half forward.

It is difficult to know how we will go this year but good to see some new players getting a chance.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 03/01/2016 20:30:10    1814326

Link

Great to see the young blood doing well, Stephen McBrearty, Eoghan Ban Gallagher and Ciaran Thompson will be useful additions I feel this year.

This with a few of the fringe lads pushing on will hopefully bodes well....

beidhmeanseo (Donegal) - Posts: 76 - 03/01/2016 21:09:12    1814342

Link

Agree with you there beidhmeanseo, those 3 players should have a bright future. I heard Rory Gallagher in an interview after the game saying it would be nearly the same team playing next week due to the unavailability of the other squad players. So those lads will all get another run out next Sunday. What is the story with Mark McHugh, is he part of the panel this year?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 05/01/2016 12:22:29    1814616

Link

Seriously this is the first time I can ever recall so many young lads being in the panel. It is about time- this is the way to go. The bigger counties usually dont bring their really big names into the season until the middle of the league. I always felt that we played too many big guns in the McKenna cup every year. About three years ago, we almost had a full deck by February - talk about burnout.

These young guys need to be played every week - including the league. If we go down , then so be it. We almost won the AI in 2014 and we came from D2 so it doesnt matter. Maybe I am being overly optimistic but I do not think we have had ever so many young classy players in our ranks. I would love to see 5-6 of these guys playing in the NFL.

It is equally great that nobody has retired ( Durcan ? ). Imagine McFadden et al coming of the bench come champo time. The future is bright and hopefully it is managed properly.

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 05/01/2016 15:32:11    1814677

Link

Jesus ya have me excited now! Yeah think its great to have them on board. I would to see them give the U21 championship a good rattle though if a balance can be found with the senior NFL

EP (Donegal) - Posts: 68 - 05/01/2016 21:13:01    1814761

Link