Donegal Forum

Missing Players

(Oldest Posts First)

There are a few players that I notice are not playing for their clubs at all this year.Ciaran Gillespie,Jason McGee and Paddy McGrath still out.What is the nature of Gillespie's injury,he is out a very long time.Eoghan McGettigan not playing either, would be important for U-20.Another man who was a great prospect a couple of years ago Rory Carr is not appearing either.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 17/04/2018 20:26:47    2093662

Link

Replying To gunman:  "There are a few players that I notice are not playing for their clubs at all this year.Ciaran Gillespie,Jason McGee and Paddy McGrath still out.What is the nature of Gillespie's injury,he is out a very long time.Eoghan McGettigan not playing either, would be important for U-20.Another man who was a great prospect a couple of years ago Rory Carr is not appearing either."
I seem to remember reading somewhere here that Ciaran Gillespie was likely to miss most of this year after having surgery. I hope he makes a full recovery as he has had no luck with injuries since breaking onto the scene. Paddy obviously got injured against Mayo. It did not look great at the time so no surprise he not playing with the club and probably touch and go for Cavan. I don't know the story with Rory Carr but a bit like Gillespie he has had no luck with injuries. The U-20's will be at a big loss if McGettigan is out for a long time especially if Niall O'Donnell as looks likely is with the seniors (stupid poxy rule). As for Jason he has been carrying a few niggles but has been with the U-20's. I imagine it is precautionary ensuring he is fully fit for the summer and the intermediate club championship later in the year.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 18/04/2018 01:11:07    2093698

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I seem to remember reading somewhere here that Ciaran Gillespie was likely to miss most of this year after having surgery. I hope he makes a full recovery as he has had no luck with injuries since breaking onto the scene. Paddy obviously got injured against Mayo. It did not look great at the time so no surprise he not playing with the club and probably touch and go for Cavan. I don't know the story with Rory Carr but a bit like Gillespie he has had no luck with injuries. The U-20's will be at a big loss if McGettigan is out for a long time especially if Niall O'Donnell as looks likely is with the seniors (stupid poxy rule). As for Jason he has been carrying a few niggles but has been with the U-20's. I imagine it is precautionary ensuring he is fully fit for the summer and the intermediate club championship later in the year."
Ciaran Gillespie is out for season. Due back 2019 it is hoped. Paddy McGrath has been training away with seniors I believe but has had a few setbacks which sees him as doubtful for Cavan game. Hasn't played for Ardara as yet. Young McGettigan from Glenties not on u20s squad I'm told. Recovering from surgery and out for season. Jason McGee let go by seniors as not making required progress. Has been injured since joining the u20s. Touch and go for u20 cship I hear. Rory Carr has barely kicked a ball in 2 years. Shame to see young players like this riddled with injuries. My own view is that many of these young lads are flogged far too early. Then they end up on the scrap heap and forgotten about. Shameful.

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 316 - 18/04/2018 22:52:38    2093878

Link

It looks very bad for Rory Carr doesn't it. He has had no luck with injuries at all. Looked a great prospect at minor level. Ciaran Gillespie is in the same boat but I'd be hopeful he will come back next year, he is the natural successor to Neil McGee at full back.

Eoghan McGettigan will be a massive loss for the u-20 side especially with Naill O'Donnell with the senior squad. Hopefully Jason McGee will be ready but he has played hardly any football this year.

What is the update on Ryan McHugh? Don't think he has played since the Tyrone game back at the beginning of March.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 19/04/2018 11:05:19    2093918

Link

Yep. These 'elite' squads as far down as u16 level are a joke.
I even heard that it was insisted upon that players on the u20 panel from Inishowen be in Bundoran first thing last Saturday morning for training. Madness if true.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7110 - 19/04/2018 11:32:56    2093927

Link

Replying To fatkeeper:  "Ciaran Gillespie is out for season. Due back 2019 it is hoped. Paddy McGrath has been training away with seniors I believe but has had a few setbacks which sees him as doubtful for Cavan game. Hasn't played for Ardara as yet. Young McGettigan from Glenties not on u20s squad I'm told. Recovering from surgery and out for season. Jason McGee let go by seniors as not making required progress. Has been injured since joining the u20s. Touch and go for u20 cship I hear. Rory Carr has barely kicked a ball in 2 years. Shame to see young players like this riddled with injuries. My own view is that many of these young lads are flogged far too early. Then they end up on the scrap heap and forgotten about. Shameful."
Gonna be a massive struggle for the U-20's to replicate their success as minors. Especially minus the squads 2 class forwards from 2 years ago in O'Donnell and McGettigan. In fairness to Jason he got fleeced last year. I said it at the time that he was a couple of years minimum away from senior level especially in terms of physical development. He took a couple of big hits in games which he has struggled to get over. I would have similar fears with Niall O'Donnell this year especially when coming up against the ruthless hitting from the likes of Tyrone and Monaghan. Though he is quite an elusive player so might be able to avoid such hits.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 19/04/2018 21:55:18    2094041

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Gonna be a massive struggle for the U-20's to replicate their success as minors. Especially minus the squads 2 class forwards from 2 years ago in O'Donnell and McGettigan. In fairness to Jason he got fleeced last year. I said it at the time that he was a couple of years minimum away from senior level especially in terms of physical development. He took a couple of big hits in games which he has struggled to get over. I would have similar fears with Niall O'Donnell this year especially when coming up against the ruthless hitting from the likes of Tyrone and Monaghan. Though he is quite an elusive player so might be able to avoid such hits."
Yes absolutely agree. McGee was no where near ready for that last year. Thrown to the lions by Rory and now he's paying the price, as many people predicted. Not even on the senior squad now. Crazy decision by Rory.

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 316 - 19/04/2018 23:59:13    2094054

Link

Replying To fatkeeper:  "Yes absolutely agree. McGee was no where near ready for that last year. Thrown to the lions by Rory and now he's paying the price, as many people predicted. Not even on the senior squad now. Crazy decision by Rory."
I am happy he is with the U-20's it is where he should be in my view the same as Niall O'Donnell. You want a case in point look at Mark McHugh. Already an All Star winner when he took that unmerciful cynical hit in 2013. I don't think he has been the same player since.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 20/04/2018 15:07:22    2094116

Link

We lost Luke Keaney (Both Hips) 3 or 4 years ago and now Kieran Gillespie (Hips I believe) is also out for 2 years, that's a serious loss of raw physical defensive talent to Donegal, players with power and pace.
I think we need to evaluate player conditioning, particularly at underage, and ensure training regimes are not detrimental to young players health, so many young players facing hip surgery is alarming.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 531 - 20/04/2018 15:32:23    2094118

Link