Clare Forum

Best Clare XV 1990-2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Another team i have come up with, this is my opinion is clare's best team of the last 30 years who have not won an all ireland medal.

1 A. Fahy
2 Browne
3 Cleary
4 O'Grady
5 Hoey
6 Quinn
7 Fitzgerald
8 B.O'Connell
9 Reidy
10 D.McMahon
11 Carmody
12 V.Donnellan
13 Griffin
14 T.Guilfoyle
15 Shanagher

Hope i havent forgotten anyone too obvious!"
Does Alan Markham have an All Ireland medal from 97? I remember he made his debut in 98 but not sure if on panel in 97. If not, then he would be in my team of non AI winners. Otherwise, good side.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 15/05/2020 13:07:11    2278230

Link

I actually thought he got a medal for 97 but ive just checked it out and it seems he doesnt!

I'll have to include him instead as well, instead of Val who was my last man in!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1879 - 15/05/2020 21:39:43    2278309

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Another team i have come up with, this is my opinion is clare's best team of the last 30 years who have not won an all ireland medal.

1 A. Fahy
2 Browne
3 Cleary
4 O'Grady
5 Hoey
6 Quinn
7 Fitzgerald
8 B.O'Connell
9 Reidy
10 D.McMahon
11 Carmody
12 V.Donnellan
13 Griffin
14 T.Guilfoyle
15 Shanagher

Hope i havent forgotten anyone too obvious!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1845 - 13/05/2020 14:59:15 2278068

A lot of good hurlers there I presume you meant Senior AI winners as Browne/Cleary/Reid/ & Donnellan have AI medals

On a personal level I always thought that A Fahy was lucky to wear a Clare senior jersey Philip Brennan i would say better keeper.

I met one of the current players out training on his own he looked like he was in peak condition

You would be seriously missing the hurling"
Yes I meant senior obviously. I was never Brennan's biggest fan, but yes he could easily be there instead of fahy

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1879 - 15/05/2020 21:41:27    2278310

Link

Pat Vaughan is another man actually who should definitely be in there somewhere!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1879 - 17/05/2020 16:24:15    2278508

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "Yes I meant senior obviously. I was never Brennan's biggest fan, but yes he could easily be there instead of fahy"
Bit touchy there expert cant recall if Jonathan Clancy or Gerry Quinn were on any AI Teams Conor Plunkett too was a solid defender diden't have long career though.

I watched the 2008 QF V Cork we had them on ropes until P Brennan let in a howler from Timmy MCarthy only lost by 2

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 569 - 18/05/2020 09:51:26    2278561

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Bit touchy there expert cant recall if Jonathan Clancy or Gerry Quinn were on any AI Teams Conor Plunkett too was a solid defender diden't have long career though.

I watched the 2008 QF V Cork we had them on ropes until P Brennan let in a howler from Timmy MCarthy only lost by 2"
Clancy was on 2013 panel

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1879 - 18/05/2020 10:51:01    2278575

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Bit touchy there expert cant recall if Jonathan Clancy or Gerry Quinn were on any AI Teams Conor Plunkett too was a solid defender diden't have long career though.

I watched the 2008 QF V Cork we had them on ropes until P Brennan let in a howler from Timmy MCarthy only lost by 2"
He was the cause of 1 - 1, near the end. Should have won that game.

Dec82 (Clare) - Posts: 231 - 18/05/2020 11:42:26    2278582

Link

Fahy and Brennan both have made bad howlers. Fahy let in easy one against Galway in 16. Puck out meltdown in 17. Touhy is not top notch but in my opinion best keeper we have had since Fitzy.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 18/05/2020 12:13:12    2278589

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Fahy and Brennan both have made bad howlers. Fahy let in easy one against Galway in 16. Puck out meltdown in 17. Touhy is not top notch but in my opinion best keeper we have had since Fitzy."
Clare have had some exceptional keepers down the years Pascal O Brien in sixties from Eire Og Then S Durach Feakle

Eoin McMahon did ok for a while Davy was very good not too many club goalies stand out in Clare at moment Keith Hogan is a very good club goalie IMO

Touhy is definately best available @ moment our backline will be lot tigher under Lohan

Watched bit of 2018 Final all 3 Limerick goals should have been prevented Skehill went to ground too early for first one and 2 defenders allowed themselves to blocked down for goals 2 & 3

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 569 - 18/05/2020 14:08:03    2278606

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Clare have had some exceptional keepers down the years Pascal O Brien in sixties from Eire Og Then S Durach Feakle

Eoin McMahon did ok for a while Davy was very good not too many club goalies stand out in Clare at moment Keith Hogan is a very good club goalie IMO

Touhy is definately best available @ moment our backline will be lot tigher under Lohan

Watched bit of 2018 Final all 3 Limerick goals should have been prevented Skehill went to ground too early for first one and 2 defenders allowed themselves to blocked down for goals 2 & 3"
Yeah i have always thought skehill was a poor goalie.

The best young keeper i have seen in clare in recent years is jacob loughnanne from sixmilebridge. He was very good for the minors a few years ago.
Problem is he has been playing wing forward for the bridge seniors last year, which may have its benefits but id definitely like to see him playing in goal more regularly. Derek fahy is a decent keeper but loughnanne needs games to develop himself for the future at intercounty level.

Touhy is a good keeper but theres a big drop off then to the likes of quilligan, taffee, hogan or either of the fahy's.

Looks like we'll need touhy for at least another 2 or 3 years!

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1879 - 18/05/2020 15:48:51    2278614

Link

Ah lads.

You have to include Conor McGrath in this. He was the best corner forward I ever saw for Clare. Simply I mark able on his day. Scored one of the greatest goals in an All Ireland final ever in 2013.

I'd have:

Davy

F. Lohan B. Lohan POC

Bugler McMahon Doyle

Lynch Baker

Griffin Kelly Conlon

McGrath O Donnell Gilly

Jesus that team would do serious damage. POC May be controversial but he has never let us down and has been a key fixture in the panel for over ten years now. Bugler got two All Stars and was excellent on his day. Daly was a fantastic captain but I personally loved Liam Doyle. Tony Griffin was a super player for Clare, Kelly goes without saying and you can't forget Conlon (he has done most hurling for Clare in the half forward line). That full forward line would do serious damage on their day.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2023 - 19/05/2020 22:40:12    2278753

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "Ah lads.

You have to include Conor McGrath in this. He was the best corner forward I ever saw for Clare. Simply I mark able on his day. Scored one of the greatest goals in an All Ireland final ever in 2013.

I'd have:

Davy

F. Lohan B. Lohan POC

Bugler McMahon Doyle

Lynch Baker

Griffin Kelly Conlon

McGrath O Donnell Gilly

Jesus that team would do serious damage. POC May be controversial but he has never let us down and has been a key fixture in the panel for over ten years now. Bugler got two All Stars and was excellent on his day. Daly was a fantastic captain but I personally loved Liam Doyle. Tony Griffin was a super player for Clare, Kelly goes without saying and you can't forget Conlon (he has done most hurling for Clare in the half forward line). That full forward line would do serious damage on their day."
I can only assume you forgot about jamesie o'connor??

Pat o'connor is a slightly surprising choice.
On a bit of a side note, this is nothing personal with you lohan - just a general comment. The phrase "never let us down" annoys me. Like what does it even mean? Its used so often in different sports. Does having a bad game mean a player lets him team down? Whats the actual criteria for a player to let the team down? I assume we are only talking about on field stuff here?

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1879 - 24/05/2020 23:23:07    2279158

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I can only assume you forgot about jamesie o'connor??

Pat o'connor is a slightly surprising choice.
On a bit of a side note, this is nothing personal with you lohan - just a general comment. The phrase "never let us down" annoys me. Like what does it even mean? Its used so often in different sports. Does having a bad game mean a player lets him team down? Whats the actual criteria for a player to let the team down? I assume we are only talking about on field stuff here?"
Ah yes totally forgot Jamsie and he can go instead of Grffin.

Not sure why that comment would annoy you. I am on of course talking about on the field stuff. Want you want from defenders is consistency. POC is a consistent 7 out of ten sometimes 8 out of 10. Thats what I mean. Denis Irwin was similar for Man U. Rarely if ever had a bad game but was rately if ever a 9 out of 10. I see Pat in the same manner. A super consistent defender. Picked as a starter by all managers in his 10 years playing for clare and has played at a very high level over those 10 years.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2023 - 12/06/2020 12:23:11    2280498

Link