Carlow Forum

Retirees

(Oldest Posts First)

I see Daniel StLedger has announced his retirment
From the same minor / u21 teams as Shane Redmond , Brendan Murphy, Darragh Foley .
4 big names for us over the years .
Wont be surprised to see other 3 following suit.
Daniel is in senipr panel 13 years - thats a fair committment through good and bad times.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 515 - 04/07/2020 16:19:25    2283034

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "I see Daniel StLedger has announced his retirment
From the same minor / u21 teams as Shane Redmond , Brendan Murphy, Darragh Foley .
4 big names for us over the years .
Wont be surprised to see other 3 following suit.
Daniel is in senipr panel 13 years - thats a fair committment through good and bad times."
Don't think Darragh was part of that minor panel. Think it was at another year if not two before he played minor.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1236 - 04/07/2020 19:05:57    2283055

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Don't think Darragh was part of that minor panel. Think it was at another year if not two before he played minor."
He was on u21 side thzgclost out to Dubs .
I am sufe you are right about minor.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 515 - 04/07/2020 19:55:29    2283060

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Don't think Darragh was part of that minor panel. Think it was at another year if not two before he played minor."
Daragh wasn't on the minor team but played as an 18 year old on the u21 team that drew with Dublin and lost in extra time.

Daragh and Brendan Murphy were brilliant that day.
As was Eddie Byrne at full forward marking Rory OCarroll.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1151 - 04/07/2020 20:07:59    2283062

Link

For the moment, a gentle reminder that this thread belongs to Daniel St. Ledger, so for that reason I would like to wish Daniel good health on his retirement and to thank him for his huge contribution to Carlow footbal, for his leadership on the field through thick and thin, Daniel still has a lot to offer.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2114 - 04/07/2020 22:55:18    2283084

Link

Great servent DSL, stuck by the team during the hard days under Rainbow.

All the best to him.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 87 - 05/07/2020 12:12:10    2283109

Link

Best of luck Daniel & sorry to see you go. You had another few years in you but fair play for all the years service. Wonder is it a sign that Poacher is not getting the job??? From what I know most if not all the panel had great time for Poacher & he is their preferred choice as new manager and they would all want to play under him as boss. With Daniel deciding to go now is that a sign we not getting Poacher & at 30 Daniel doesn't want to start afresh with a new man at the helm???? I hope not cause if we dont get Poacher I feel we will have a few more announcements before championship starts

carlo (Carlow) - Posts: 105 - 05/07/2020 12:13:23    2283110

Link

Replying To carlo:  "Best of luck Daniel & sorry to see you go. You had another few years in you but fair play for all the years service. Wonder is it a sign that Poacher is not getting the job??? From what I know most if not all the panel had great time for Poacher & he is their preferred choice as new manager and they would all want to play under him as boss. With Daniel deciding to go now is that a sign we not getting Poacher & at 30 Daniel doesn't want to start afresh with a new man at the helm???? I hope not cause if we dont get Poacher I feel we will have a few more announcements before championship starts"
Word is the county board are in serious financial bother & can't afford to pay managers, next year... they are seeking 'volunteers' to take the helm... given they openly spoke of not having money before lockdown, I guess it's not a huge surprise... the real sadness is that the Carlow business community show almost no interest in stepping in... of course, many are suffering now, but there are a lot of wealthy business owners in Carlow, who won't be going hungry.... successful county teams give everyone a lift... but they require money.... the likes of Laois and Kildare have been good at that, or lucky enough, but we have not been...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 340 - 06/07/2020 08:09:33    2283179

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Word is the county board are in serious financial bother & can't afford to pay managers, next year... they are seeking 'volunteers' to take the helm... given they openly spoke of not having money before lockdown, I guess it's not a huge surprise... the real sadness is that the Carlow business community show almost no interest in stepping in... of course, many are suffering now, but there are a lot of wealthy business owners in Carlow, who won't be going hungry.... successful county teams give everyone a lift... but they require money.... the likes of Laois and Kildare have been good at that, or lucky enough, but we have not been..."
Volunteers? You can see why the departure of TOB has really hit them now.

I do have sympathy for the Co Board though, as Carlow are the smallest of the "true" duel counties and have to try split resources equally between the two codes. The next closest dual county in terms of size to Carlow is Offaly, who have 20,000 more people living in the county.

You'd have to ask the question, is it even reasonable to expect Carlow to split it's resources and try compete at both codes?

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 87 - 07/07/2020 11:34:16    2283305

Link

Replying To TaosHum:  "Volunteers? You can see why the departure of TOB has really hit them now.

I do have sympathy for the Co Board though, as Carlow are the smallest of the "true" duel counties and have to try split resources equally between the two codes. The next closest dual county in terms of size to Carlow is Offaly, who have 20,000 more people living in the county.

You'd have to ask the question, is it even reasonable to expect Carlow to split it's resources and try compete at both codes?"
Honestly speaking, I prefer hurling, and I'd watch it over football, any day... I also far preferred playing hurling to playing football... but, honestly speaking, we have to be realistic and admit that Carlow cannot compete in both codes, with a population of 55,000... it was doable 30/40 years ago in the heyday of the 'dual-star,' the Paddy Quirke's, Jimmy Barry Murphy's, etc... but you can't do it now... as a result we split our (already tiny) playing pool... the hurlers miss out on the likes of Sean Murphy and Sean Gannon, and the footballers on Alan Corcoran, Eddie Byrne, and company.... there's also a money issue... breaks my heart to say it, but Carlow would be better off going 'all in' on football, at the expense of hurling... there are only around 6 serious hurling clubs in the county, but we have about 20 in football... also, the footballers can compete at senior level in Leinster, but the hurlers cannot. Last year proved that there's a ceiling with such a tiny pick.... we have some great hurlers, but we don't have enough of them.... this is the problem, and there's no way around it, when you're pulling from only four or five clubs, with no realistic expansion in sight.... I know hurling people will be aghast, but I'd divert all county money into football, and instead focus on club hurling.... if we could get ten hurling clubs playing at a high level, you could then revisit the viability of county hurling... until then, better to let it play on, at its own level, with dual players pushed towards football... of course, we would still have a county hurling side.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 340 - 07/07/2020 18:11:51    2283378

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Honestly speaking, I prefer hurling, and I'd watch it over football, any day... I also far preferred playing hurling to playing football... but, honestly speaking, we have to be realistic and admit that Carlow cannot compete in both codes, with a population of 55,000... it was doable 30/40 years ago in the heyday of the 'dual-star,' the Paddy Quirke's, Jimmy Barry Murphy's, etc... but you can't do it now... as a result we split our (already tiny) playing pool... the hurlers miss out on the likes of Sean Murphy and Sean Gannon, and the footballers on Alan Corcoran, Eddie Byrne, and company.... there's also a money issue... breaks my heart to say it, but Carlow would be better off going 'all in' on football, at the expense of hurling... there are only around 6 serious hurling clubs in the county, but we have about 20 in football... also, the footballers can compete at senior level in Leinster, but the hurlers cannot. Last year proved that there's a ceiling with such a tiny pick.... we have some great hurlers, but we don't have enough of them.... this is the problem, and there's no way around it, when you're pulling from only four or five clubs, with no realistic expansion in sight.... I know hurling people will be aghast, but I'd divert all county money into football, and instead focus on club hurling.... if we could get ten hurling clubs playing at a high level, you could then revisit the viability of county hurling... until then, better to let it play on, at its own level, with dual players pushed towards football... of course, we would still have a county hurling side."
Oh sweet Jesus..

Oldyellar (Carlow) - Posts: 21 - 07/07/2020 20:59:18    2283407

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Honestly speaking, I prefer hurling, and I'd watch it over football, any day... I also far preferred playing hurling to playing football... but, honestly speaking, we have to be realistic and admit that Carlow cannot compete in both codes, with a population of 55,000... it was doable 30/40 years ago in the heyday of the 'dual-star,' the Paddy Quirke's, Jimmy Barry Murphy's, etc... but you can't do it now... as a result we split our (already tiny) playing pool... the hurlers miss out on the likes of Sean Murphy and Sean Gannon, and the footballers on Alan Corcoran, Eddie Byrne, and company.... there's also a money issue... breaks my heart to say it, but Carlow would be better off going 'all in' on football, at the expense of hurling... there are only around 6 serious hurling clubs in the county, but we have about 20 in football... also, the footballers can compete at senior level in Leinster, but the hurlers cannot. Last year proved that there's a ceiling with such a tiny pick.... we have some great hurlers, but we don't have enough of them.... this is the problem, and there's no way around it, when you're pulling from only four or five clubs, with no realistic expansion in sight.... I know hurling people will be aghast, but I'd divert all county money into football, and instead focus on club hurling.... if we could get ten hurling clubs playing at a high level, you could then revisit the viability of county hurling... until then, better to let it play on, at its own level, with dual players pushed towards football... of course, we would still have a county hurling side."
"I'm a hurling man myself but let's concentrate on football"
Gimme a break man. When did we last compete in leinster btw.The 1960s.were you in portlaoise last year? Our hurlers lost by 1 point to laois in case you forgot.our footballers got hockeyed by meath and then Longford. But but but we beat kildare ,yeah yeah yeah

Overthebar53 (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 07/07/2020 23:03:43    2283417

Link

Replying To Overthebar53:  ""I'm a hurling man myself but let's concentrate on football"
Gimme a break man. When did we last compete in leinster btw.The 1960s.were you in portlaoise last year? Our hurlers lost by 1 point to laois in case you forgot.our footballers got hockeyed by meath and then Longford. But but but we beat kildare ,yeah yeah yeah"
Yes, I do prefer hurling, and yes I was in Portlaoise last year... it's interesting that you cite Leix, the other team that yo-yo's between senior and intermediate, like Carlow... how many senior hurling championship games have Carlow won in the past twenty years? Tell me?....

In the last 5 years, the footballers have beaten Louth (twice), Wicklow, Wexford, and Kildare, in Leinster... They have appeared in two Leinster Semi-Finals in the past decade (despite the first half of it being a disaster).

Like it or not, the footballers can compete in Leinster, and the hurlers cannot... with the right preparation and all hands on board, they could realistically aim to reach a Leinster FInal... the hurlers have no hope of doing this...

I am just trying to suggest how we could make best use of our tiny resources... that is all... only three clubs/areas in the county are resolutely hurling first (MLR, St Mullins & Myshall)...whereas most of the rest either put football first or don't even play hurling at all. Until/if that changes, it's clear football should get the lion's share of resources, and attention, at county level...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 340 - 08/07/2020 11:17:02    2283443

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Yes, I do prefer hurling, and yes I was in Portlaoise last year... it's interesting that you cite Leix, the other team that yo-yo's between senior and intermediate, like Carlow... how many senior hurling championship games have Carlow won in the past twenty years? Tell me?....

In the last 5 years, the footballers have beaten Louth (twice), Wicklow, Wexford, and Kildare, in Leinster... They have appeared in two Leinster Semi-Finals in the past decade (despite the first half of it being a disaster).

Like it or not, the footballers can compete in Leinster, and the hurlers cannot... with the right preparation and all hands on board, they could realistically aim to reach a Leinster FInal... the hurlers have no hope of doing this...

I am just trying to suggest how we could make best use of our tiny resources... that is all... only three clubs/areas in the county are resolutely hurling first (MLR, St Mullins & Myshall)...whereas most of the rest either put football first or don't even play hurling at all. Until/if that changes, it's clear football should get the lion's share of resources, and attention, at county level..."
Have we beaten Louth twice in Leinster champ ?in last 5 years.?Iknow you mean well but your suggestion is a non runner.All you will achieve is the alienation of hurling people (like yourself).I agree totally withyou about resources and have been saying this for years but until CP get their collective heads out of their asses nothing will change and they will continue to send platitudes to all the struggling counties who make the effort in both codes.There needs to be some system that discriminates financially infavour of counties like Carlow,Laois, Offaly etc who genuinely make the effort . Dont hold your breath tho.

Overthebar53 (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 08/07/2020 12:35:02    2283461

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Yes, I do prefer hurling, and yes I was in Portlaoise last year... it's interesting that you cite Leix, the other team that yo-yo's between senior and intermediate, like Carlow... how many senior hurling championship games have Carlow won in the past twenty years? Tell me?....

I am just trying to suggest how we could make best use of our tiny resources... that is all... only three clubs/areas in the county are resolutely hurling first (MLR, St Mullins & Myshall)...whereas most of the rest either put football first or don't even play hurling at all. Until/if that changes, it's clear football should get the lion's share of resources, and attention, at county level..."
You aren't comparing like with like when you say we are competing in football in Leinster but not in hurling.

All counties including the weaker ones play in the Leinster football. I'd fancy us to beat Louth, Wicklow and Kildare in the hurling if they were in it.

The hurlers are ranked around 12 in the country whereas the footballers are around 25.

We should be proud of being a dual county and support both.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1151 - 08/07/2020 14:21:39    2283481

Link

Firstly, I don't think we should be highjacking a thread wishing Daniel Saint ledger well after he's retired from county football. Fair play to him on his service through thick and thin.
I won't point out the inaccuracies like ballinkillen being solely a hurling club too (and a few others too), 20 "serious" football clubs? Really?? I won't get into the one or the other debate as I love both our codes and love that our county promotes both equally at county level. You can only win at your own level which the hurlers have consistently done. The yo yo for them and indeed other counties is the reality of the difference in the top 10 and the rest. Which is the v same in football. The hurlers have won the Christy ring and Joe Mcdonagh (I m not sure what year you re working from but intermediate hurling at county level has finished for our lads a long time ago!) Which are/were the 2nd tier of hurling. Can the footballers match this and win the tailteann cup? Only time will tell. In Leinster, don't fool yourself, it's Dublin all day everyday and getting a lucky draw and avoiding their side is key every year. I think being consistent in the league and winning the division/promotion into div 3 is a sign of progress along with winning the tailteann cup. There have been lots of great days for both codes over the past few years and magic days out following clubs in Leinster campaigns - I think outside of Kilkenny we are the only other Leinster county to have won the 3 grades (I stand to be corrected) in club hurling. So you could argue we should be building our hurling base! It's not a case in my mind of one over the other, or piling money into county set ups etc. Promotion of the games throughout all the county is what it's all about.

Oldyellar (Carlow) - Posts: 21 - 08/07/2020 14:33:30    2283486

Link

Look no matter what is promoted, hurling or football, the reality is and will always will be that hurling will be king in the deep South of the county and football in the north. It's due to the shape of our county and it's a cultural thing. Kids growing up in St Mullins hear all the stories of their fathers and grandfathers great exploits in hurling and in Rathvilly it'll be the same but for football. No amount of promotion or non promotion of one game over another will change that culture and we shouldn't try or we lose lose them altogether and they play no GAA. Similarly you can't change the geography of St. Mullins. Their neighbours just a couple of miles away both in Wexford and Kilkenny will always retain their passion for hurling so it would be unthinkable really for GAA players in the middle (St Mullins) to do anything else but hurl.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1236 - 08/07/2020 15:11:48    2283503

Link

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting favouring hurling or football, but the hard truth is when your taking finances and resources away to run both, it's stunting the growth and potential of the other,

Professionalism within the GAA is continually increasing. Even though players aren't directly paid, the teams at the the top have the best of everything. Facilities, coaching, expenses, catering, physios, nutritionists,etc. This isn't even taking into account what they have at their disposal when it comes to youth development.

Being a serious dual county is becoming near impossible, unless you have a large population and finances. Only 2 teams have competed at division 1 level over the past 5 years in both football and hurling, Galway and Dublin.

If the rumours are true that Carlow are struggling to get the money to finance a manager, then there's really no point complaining with what they end up with, considering they are trying to double what any other county around Carlow's size is trying to do.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 87 - 08/07/2020 19:41:34    2283524

Link