Boylan backs under-fire series
03 November 2011
Former Ireland manager Sean Boylan has urged the GAA not to abandon the under-fire International Rules series.
The low 22,921 attendance came as at last Friday's first Test in Melbourne came as a major blow to the hybrid game and Boylan, who managed his country in 2006 and 2008, believes Croke Park should be doing their utmost along with the AFL to ensure the series has a future.
"I think it's terribly important all officials in the association keep in contact with their players and what it means to the players," said Boylan
"It is a massive outlet for them. It's like Katie Taylor last week winning her European gold. We're all as proud as punch of her and I'd think long and hard before I'd dismiss that. I think it's a marvelous opportunity for the lads to represent their country.
"I never saw an Irish team play as well as they did last week. I thought they were amazing."
The Meath legend is now expecting a backlash from the Aussies in tomorrow's second Test in the Gold Coast, where he feels Anthony Tohill's me could be in for some heavy hits.
"You have to nearly give it the two games," he said. "The reason I am saying that is the second game will be held in Brisbane, which is 10 or 12 degrees warmer, and the Irish lads mightn't be as quick at getting out of the way.
"They are going to up the intensity being professional and that will make an enormous difference. I think it will be so much more incredibly competitive."