Bolton 'recovering well', says Tohill
02 November 2011
Ireland's Emmet Bolton leaves the field injured after suffering concussion during the first test of the IRS ©INPHO/James Crombie
Ireland manager Anthony Tohill expects Emmet Bolton to be available for Friday's second Test against Australia in the Gold Coast.
The Kildare defender suffered concussion during last week's record victory over the Aussies in Melbourne, during which had to be stretchered off the pitch and brought to hospital, but he has since made a good recovery according to Tohill.
"He's recovering well," said the Derry man. "His whole neck area is stiff and sore, as you can imagine if you saw the collision. He has been sore for a few days, but it's freeing up and he was up to a good three-quarter pace there this evening. It's all looking positive and we expect him to be available."
Pearce Hanley and Joe McMahon missed yesterday's training session at the Metricon Stadium along with Bolton, but all three could still be available come Friday as the prospect of Donegal All Star Karl Lacey, who was included in the squad as stand-by for Finian Hanley, who was eventually able to travel, seeing no action in the series remains.
"There's that danger. To be honest, we haven't spoken about that until we see where we're at with our injured players," said Tohill.
"We'll make a call on that when we know the full situation with Joe and Emmet - those are the two we are mainly concerned with. Kevin Reilly is in really, really good shape tonight and he's in much better condition than he was last week."
On the anticipated Australian backlash which the team are set to endure this Friday, Tohill stated: "When a team suffers a defeat at all you expect the players to respond the next time out and I'm sure there'll be a response from Australia. If it's within the rules of the game and it's hard and fair we've no issue at all."