National Forum

Tyrone for Sam 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Anyone going to take us serious yet

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 12/03/2017 19:48:26    1966486

Link

I totally take Tyrone seriously, right up to the full forward line where I think you will fall short at the end of the day. But you will be a nightmare for us other contenders that's for sure. Mickey Harte is a brilliant manager.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 12/03/2017 19:56:36    1966491

Link

Tyrone will be very hard to beat no doubt

But it's top end forwards that win AI's

That's the difference between this Tyrone side and the team of the 00's

Tyrone had a far better balance back then

Stick an O'Neill in there.. it would be a different story

You know 100% what's coming when you play Tyrone, go just as defensive and it takes away their scoring counters, just be patient, defend well and wait for them to loosen, teams like Kerry, Mayo and Dublin are well drilled in such.

Defend well against Tyrone, that's the trick.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 12/03/2017 20:17:49    1966502

Link

Replying To realdub:  "I totally take Tyrone seriously, right up to the full forward line where I think you will fall short at the end of the day. But you will be a nightmare for us other contenders that's for sure. Mickey Harte is a brilliant manager."
Agree realdub - lots of time for Ulster sides esp Donegal, Monaghan and Tyrone at minute esp the latter. However in saying that Tyrone need to reassess how their full forward line looks - too many nice footballers and not enough skilful grafters. They also lack a real target man and a freetaker and when it comes down to the fine lines beteeen winning and losing against the top teams that's where the top teams stand out - I genuinely believe Tyrone have the players in their panel but I don't see them being lined out the way that could cause maximum havoc - maybe Mickey's holding back?

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 12/03/2017 20:35:46    1966514

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Tyrone will be very hard to beat no doubt

But it's top end forwards that win AI's

That's the difference between this Tyrone side and the team of the 00's

Tyrone had a far better balance back then

Stick an O'Neill in there.. it would be a different story

You know 100% what's coming when you play Tyrone, go just as defensive and it takes away their scoring counters, just be patient, defend well and wait for them to loosen, teams like Kerry, Mayo and Dublin are well drilled in such.

Defend well against Tyrone, that's the trick."
I would say Dublin are the only team at the moment equipped to beat Tyrone that way. Kerry would struggle if they played their open game. Mayo were exceptionally lucky to beat them last year in the quarter finals and it was courtesy of defensive football rather than open attacking football that eventually got them over the line.

Re the all ireland, as much as I admire tyrone and Mickey Harte, I still think they are a bit shy of talent to win the all ireland. They have a great team but not a great squad. I feel that when the bench is needed to swing a game in a team's favor, tyrone try to get over the line without having to go to the well for extra personnel. That would be the big difference between them and an all ireland winning side imo.

If they are going to win the all ireland this year, they will have to win ulster imo. I also think that if they do win ulster (beating donegal and most likely monaghan on the way they then will face Dublin in the semis and a potential kerry team in the final. The percentages are not in their favor if this is the case.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 12/03/2017 21:02:26    1966527

Link

I was slightly relieved that Mayo took them out of it last year, i felt if anyone was going to beat us last year, it was Tyrone. A potential league final as well, that would be a cracker

Hill16Army (Dublin) - Posts: 88 - 12/03/2017 21:28:36    1966536

Link

possible league title but still think they need a couple of out and out score getters instead of all round forwards. Far too many scorable chances being wasted which isn't good enough at this level. Maybe another semi-final beckons but they would need to get the street smarts and also with all the talk of money and mh's contract will it get to the players and more importantly pressure from some in the back room { you are doing this for mickey } crap. Lets hope i'm wrong and i'm walking down jones' road in sept.

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 12/03/2017 23:17:48    1966578

Link

This discussion comes up between January and June every year. I would love to see MH lead Tyrone to another All Ireland, but I just do not see how they can be considered geniune contenders. Fair enough shocks happen, aka Leicester and whilst Tyrone winning the AL would not be such as big as a shock, it would still be a surprise. They still rely heavily on SC, and his influence in big games when it matters has decreased. The forwards are all very one dimensional and there is very little depth to the squad. Teams that win the AL need in reality 8 -10 top class forwards over the course of the game. They will likely win a Ulster title as the province is weak at the minute, but I guarantee it will be another hard luck story when they arrive in Dublin, probably against the Dubs in the semi final. Tyrone are very much a winter team and it is the reason they get talked about, however when the big big games are played in Croker during the summer they will be found out.

sam1884 (UK) - Posts: 999 - 13/03/2017 10:30:54    1966626

Link

Replying To Dellboypolecat:  "Anyone going to take us serious yet"
Because you beat Cavan in Omagh?!

sam1884 (UK) - Posts: 999 - 13/03/2017 10:35:10    1966627

Link

Replying To sam1884:  "This discussion comes up between January and June every year. I would love to see MH lead Tyrone to another All Ireland, but I just do not see how they can be considered geniune contenders. Fair enough shocks happen, aka Leicester and whilst Tyrone winning the AL would not be such as big as a shock, it would still be a surprise. They still rely heavily on SC, and his influence in big games when it matters has decreased. The forwards are all very one dimensional and there is very little depth to the squad. Teams that win the AL need in reality 8 -10 top class forwards over the course of the game. They will likely win a Ulster title as the province is weak at the minute, but I guarantee it will be another hard luck story when they arrive in Dublin, probably against the Dubs in the semi final. Tyrone are very much a winter team and it is the reason they get talked about, however when the big big games are played in Croker during the summer they will be found out."
What nonsense.

a) At the very minimum they are 4/5 best team in the country, ulster champions and on top of div 1. That means little for the summer but to say a surprise is nonsense, they just drew with Dub in croke park.

b) SC being relied on, his influence decreasing. In the ulster final he pulled us over the line last year, his sending off v mayo probably cost us the game. again on sunday he was key to the come back.

c) a winter team, they have consistently got to the business end of the season over the last 10 years through a tough transition from one of the greatest teams ever played the game.

teams need 10 top class forwards to win an AI? Do you actually watch football? I doubt very much you know anything about tyrones current crop of forwards. Its obvious they need 1 or 2 corner forwards to emerge but they have talent in abundance in the half forward line.

We may not do it this year but it certainly would not surprise me if they did

redhanddefender (Tyrone) - Posts: 913 - 13/03/2017 11:49:02    1966660

Link

Replying To sam1884:  "This discussion comes up between January and June every year. I would love to see MH lead Tyrone to another All Ireland, but I just do not see how they can be considered geniune contenders. Fair enough shocks happen, aka Leicester and whilst Tyrone winning the AL would not be such as big as a shock, it would still be a surprise. They still rely heavily on SC, and his influence in big games when it matters has decreased. The forwards are all very one dimensional and there is very little depth to the squad. Teams that win the AL need in reality 8 -10 top class forwards over the course of the game. They will likely win a Ulster title as the province is weak at the minute, but I guarantee it will be another hard luck story when they arrive in Dublin, probably against the Dubs in the semi final. Tyrone are very much a winter team and it is the reason they get talked about, however when the big big games are played in Croker during the summer they will be found out."
Dont know where to start.

We do rely on Sean, but his influence in big games has grown if anything. The Ulster Final last year was a masterclass in leadership and he got us over the line last week against Monaghan when it looked like it could have slipped away. Another poster mentioned about Tyrone having no target man or a free taker. Sean could fill both those roles in my opinion. When he is on the pitch he needs to be taking the frees. Especially the pressure kicks.

What county team has between 8 and 10 'top class' forwards?? This great Dublin team dont even have that many. There might only be 5 top class footballers playing Gaelic Football today. The way Tyrone play, there are not reliant on having a 'top class' forward. Most of our scores come from men running at speed from deep and either taking a shot or winning a free. Tyrone scored 19 times on Sunday with 11 different scorers.

Ulster is by far and away the most competitive province. 4 out of the 8 teams in Division 1 are from Ulster. To try and predict a winner is nearly impossible. It may be weak when it comes to genuine All Ireland contenders but its far from weak.

TakeyourPoint. (Tyrone) - Posts: 133 - 13/03/2017 13:31:20    1966704

Link

Play like Tyrone when playing Tyrone

That's what no one figured in the 00's until 2010 - When Gilroy figured it out and beat a much fancied Tyrone side

But it's figured out now, defend in numbers and stop their ability to score on the counter, don't over commit. That's what they want.

Be patient, hold the ball, don't run into swarm tackles and give easy counters.

Also hate to be cynical but you can afford to slow them down 40-50 yards out by leaving a hand in, they can struggle with frees.

This Tyrone setup is not the Tyrone of old

The balance isn't there the way it used to be, they used to have some of the best forwards in the business, really outstanding forwards.

Not anymore, not even close. It will be Tyrone's system of play that will make them very hard to play against.

But they are very rigid, and I don't see a plan B, if you get a ahead of them, they'll continue to play defensively and that plays right into your hands.

It's both their strength, but also their greatness weakness.

You need a certain mind frame, forget football, it's about playing to a certain formula, and teams like Dublin, Kerry, Mayo have all shown the way and have beaten Tyrone in recent years at the business end of things.

It's not the 00's anymore, but Tyrone are still playing the same brand of football, just without the talent up front.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 13/03/2017 13:53:46    1966713

Link

It was the second half introduction of Ronan o Neil and mark Bradley that finally saw us seal the win yesterday according to none other than sean cavanagh. Who himself saw us finish of Monaghans challenge in our previous outing. That shows depth in the squad to be able to run your bench like that. . We are certainly in the top 2/3 and will be a successful year for us I feel. There are games in which Connolly or brogan are kept very quiet but the Dubs still win. You don't need exceptionally talented forwards to win games. It's great if you have them but it's still possible to win with good players and a good game plan. Like another poster said we had 11 different scorers yesterday. That's a team effort and will do me any day.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 13/03/2017 13:59:51    1966720

Link

I would say strength in depth is Tyrones strong point.They could put out 2 teams of equal standing but the the problem could be that they have not got the star quality to go all the way.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 1056 - 13/03/2017 14:01:52    1966721

Link

Jimbodub

you've summed it up perfectly re Tyrone

BIG SACKS (Tyrone) - Posts: 1681 - 13/03/2017 14:57:16    1966739

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Play like Tyrone when playing Tyrone

That's what no one figured in the 00's until 2010 - When Gilroy figured it out and beat a much fancied Tyrone side

But it's figured out now, defend in numbers and stop their ability to score on the counter, don't over commit. That's what they want.

Be patient, hold the ball, don't run into swarm tackles and give easy counters.

Also hate to be cynical but you can afford to slow them down 40-50 yards out by leaving a hand in, they can struggle with frees.

This Tyrone setup is not the Tyrone of old

The balance isn't there the way it used to be, they used to have some of the best forwards in the business, really outstanding forwards.

Not anymore, not even close. It will be Tyrone's system of play that will make them very hard to play against.

But they are very rigid, and I don't see a plan B, if you get a ahead of them, they'll continue to play defensively and that plays right into your hands.

It's both their strength, but also their greatness weakness.

You need a certain mind frame, forget football, it's about playing to a certain formula, and teams like Dublin, Kerry, Mayo have all shown the way and have beaten Tyrone in recent years at the business end of things.

It's not the 00's anymore, but Tyrone are still playing the same brand of football, just without the talent up front."
The one difficulty is that when you include Mayo as an example of a team who beats Tyrone, or more specifically, as a team who plays nice open football as a means of winning, they have won nothing at all.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 13/03/2017 15:06:27    1966744

Link

Replying To BIG SACKS:  "Jimbodub

you've summed it up perfectly re Tyrone"
I think Tyrone are a top team all the same, and it will take a team playing like I described above to beat them, it will take a top team with the right approach.

This Tyrone team will swallow up any team looking to run into them, looking to break tackles etc.

Don't give Tyrone easy turn overs while overly committing men forward out of frustration, don't be running into swarm tackles, keep a couple sweepers back there, and be prepared to defend in numbers to counter act Tyrone's counter.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 13/03/2017 15:10:24    1966746

Link

Replying To Donegalman:  "The one difficulty is that when you include Mayo as an example of a team who beats Tyrone, or more specifically, as a team who plays nice open football as a means of winning, they have won nothing at all."
You dont beat Tyrone using open football

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 13/03/2017 15:47:07    1966755

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "I think Tyrone are a top team all the same, and it will take a team playing like I described above to beat them, it will take a top team with the right approach.

This Tyrone team will swallow up any team looking to run into them, looking to break tackles etc.

Don't give Tyrone easy turn overs while overly committing men forward out of frustration, don't be running into swarm tackles, keep a couple sweepers back there, and be prepared to defend in numbers to counter act Tyrone's counter."
That is easier said than done though jimbodub.

Tyrones defense is incredibly patient. They wont commit to the tackle in areas where there is no danger. An example of this was the first two minutes of the Monaghan game. Tyrone didnt touch the ball for the first two minutes, then Monaghan got impatient, the player on the ball got isolated and Tyrone pounced and got a turnover and it resulted in a score i believe.

The referee is important in any game Tyrone play this year. Tyrones tackling is right on the edge of being a foul and if a particular referee deems these tackles as fouls then Tyrone are in trouble.

TakeyourPoint. (Tyrone) - Posts: 133 - 13/03/2017 15:58:53    1966760

Link

Have to disagree on 2 points: Ulster weak province are you crazy? Tyrone winter team - again bunch of small light lads, multi coloured boots, hair gel and false tan - these lads are defo sunshine boys preferably Croker in the summer.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 13/03/2017 16:02:08    1966762

Link