National Forum

Tyrone for Sam 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As long as Mayo don't win it I don't care who wins it really, couldn't stand too listen to them crowing about it, maybe they will get to the final and get beaten again.

El_Torro (Tyrone) - Posts: 155 - 29/01/2017 20:19:11    1949877

Link

Replying To rossy15:  "How r mayo dark horses
Their 3rd favourites probably shud b 2nd favourites behind dublin
Galway u cud call dark horse
But Mayo my friend are one of the favourites for sam 2017"
u c nobody is expecting Mayo to win it but they could, that is a dark horse

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1196 - 29/01/2017 20:23:30    1949880

Link

So far this season Tyrone have beaten Ulster University, Donegal U21s, Fermanagh and Derry. Out of all those games Fermanagh were the only county at nearly full strenght and if they had taken their goal chances would have beaten Tyrone. The final v Derry was as one-sided as I have seen. My own county was very poor, it's hard to judge Tyrone on that game. Tyrone have the panel to give the All-Ireland a serious rattle but bigger tests will lay ahead outside Ulster. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone are my top 4 sides. To win an All-Ireland you need that bit of luck and the team out of the four named that gets that bit of luck will win the All-Ireland.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 29/01/2017 20:36:28    1949891

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "u c nobody is expecting Mayo to win it but they could, that is a dark horse"
You know were old dark horses end up?

El_Torro (Tyrone) - Posts: 155 - 29/01/2017 20:38:08    1949893

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "u c nobody is expecting Mayo to win it but they could, that is a dark horse"
Ask anyone that follows gaa next year who will win sam
All will say dublin ... followed by mayo and kerry
Some think tyrone .. that makes mayo one of the favourites
Galway r probably the only realistic dark horse...
Dark horse -" a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds "

rossy15 (Roscommon) - Posts: 617 - 29/01/2017 20:41:43    1949898

Link

Yes I seen tyrone in newry last night and they look strong all over. Their only weakness which may come to the fore against the dubs, kerry and mayo is their lack of a marquee forward. It is a pity that Sean cavanagh is not 10 years younger....

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 349 - 29/01/2017 21:18:04    1949914

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Yes I seen tyrone in newry last night and they look strong all over. Their only weakness which may come to the fore against the dubs, kerry and mayo is their lack of a marquee forward. It is a pity that Sean cavanagh is not 10 years younger...."
Downtothecore

You summed it up. Tyrone have a good defence, great work ethic, etc etc. But but but.... no forward regularly scoring 7+ points and no reliable freetakers.
What county last won the All Ireland without these? Usually you need at least two heavy scorers.
Also they are still persisting with lads like McCurry who consistently wilt under pressure. No progress in repeating the same mistakes.....

BIG SACKS (Tyrone) - Posts: 1681 - 29/01/2017 23:42:30    1949957

Link

No , there will be no sam coming to Tyrone for many a year, especially not this year.

Look we have no full forward line and a few cubs who wilt under pressure, we haven't got a free taker nor a decent goal keeper,....

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - Posts: 1294 - 30/01/2017 14:58:55    1950147

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Yes I seen tyrone in newry last night and they look strong all over. Their only weakness which may come to the fore against the dubs, kerry and mayo is their lack of a marquee forward. It is a pity that Sean cavanagh is not 10 years younger...."
I wouldn't be getting too excited, a decent Club side would've looked good against the side Derry had out on Saturday night.
As a few other posters have said no sign of the forwards looking like consistent match winners at the highest level hopefully the likes of Bradley and Brennan will develop/progress as the year goes on but at the minute Tyrone look the same as last year.
Hopefully Div 1 football will bring about some improvement in the group ahead of the summer

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 567 - 30/01/2017 16:38:10    1950190

Link

Replying To cacsmckilly:  "No , there will be no sam coming to Tyrone for many a year, especially not this year.

Look we have no full forward line and a few cubs who wilt under pressure, we haven't got a free taker nor a decent goal keeper,...."
You serious ? Morgan is a top.class goalie

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 30/01/2017 17:18:41    1950207

Link

You must have some dirty diesel in the tank there maroondiesel

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 30/01/2017 18:47:49    1950277

Link

Replying To rossy15:  "Ask anyone that follows gaa next year who will win sam
All will say dublin ... followed by mayo and kerry
Some think tyrone .. that makes mayo one of the favourites
Galway r probably the only realistic dark horse...
Dark horse -" a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds ""
ye know plenty about Galway at this stage given the last four meetings, but you are probably right

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1196 - 30/01/2017 21:02:33    1950339

Link

I still expect Tyrone to make the All Ireland Final but defeated by Kerry, the 2 semis I think will be Kerry v Mayo and Dublin v Tyrone, with Donegal losing a few players I now think Tyrone will win Ulster, win the quarter final and a crack at the dubs in the semis

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 31/01/2017 12:46:47    1950529

Link

keeper,...."

Sorry I don't rate him, he is very unreliable in high pressure games, not only his kicking is seriously suspect under pressure but his unsafe antics in the box.

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - Posts: 1294 - 31/01/2017 15:06:45    1950585

Link

Replying To cacsmckilly:  "keeper,...."

Sorry I don't rate him, he is very unreliable in high pressure games, not only his kicking is seriously suspect under pressure but his unsafe antics in the box."
Re Tyrone weaknesses....
I think it is agreed that the Red Hands are well organised, defensively sound, adequate at midfield, fit and full of running but but but but.....no great forwards as in no consistent freetaker or big scorers.
Morgan can be good but he seems to do silly things from time to time. Most of his mistakes have been outside Croke Park so not noticed so much.
He hasnt really let Tyrone down on any big occasions but his accuracy from frees leaves something to be desired.

BIG SACKS (Tyrone) - Posts: 1681 - 31/01/2017 23:17:51    1950753

Link

Genuinely think tyrone are real contenders for sam the year. Cant see anyone coming close to them in ulster this year. Few people talking about early season etc dont get carried away, tyrone didnt even get out of 2nd gear the other night against derry.

Their defence is impossible to play football against, you try and kick the ball into full forward you have double sweepers in mcmahon and cavanagh. You try and run the ball they at times have 14 men behind the ball all good in the tackle and the pace they break at is freighting. I would have some doubts about their forward line, however they are more than capable of getting scores on the "break".

A reliable free taker is their only question mark for me.

unclederry (Derry) - Posts: 67 - 01/02/2017 10:48:48    1950816

Link

Replying To cacsmckilly:  "keeper,...."

Sorry I don't rate him, he is very unreliable in high pressure games, not only his kicking is seriously suspect under pressure but his unsafe antics in the box."
Am sorry morgan has made some outstanding saves for Tyrone . His free taken has let him.down but his keeping between goals have been outstanding .

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 01/02/2017 20:30:08    1951048

Link

Tyrone for Sam? I near choked on me cornflakes.

Lads April fools is still a few weeks away!

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 01/02/2017 21:05:05    1951059

Link

Replying To bert09:  "Tyrone for Sam? I near choked on me cornflakes.

Lads April fools is still a few weeks away!"
Be careful eating them then sometimes if you eat to fast might cause joking .but if it keeps happening go to doctor would not want you choking

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 02/02/2017 09:27:40    1951132

Link

Replying To unclederry:  "Genuinely think tyrone are real contenders for sam the year. Cant see anyone coming close to them in ulster this year. Few people talking about early season etc dont get carried away, tyrone didnt even get out of 2nd gear the other night against derry.

Their defence is impossible to play football against, you try and kick the ball into full forward you have double sweepers in mcmahon and cavanagh. You try and run the ball they at times have 14 men behind the ball all good in the tackle and the pace they break at is freighting. I would have some doubts about their forward line, however they are more than capable of getting scores on the "break".

A reliable free taker is their only question mark for me."
They don't score many goals against the top teams. No O Neill or Mulligan style finisher.

Lee Brennan still u21, he is probably in that mould.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2763 - 02/02/2017 14:14:03    1951242

Link