National Forum

Pat Gilroy for Dublin hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Looks like a done deal with Pat to take the hot seat first the hurlers. Possibly bringing Anthony Cunningham in aswell.
Hope he can bring the hurlers back to the top table as he done a great job with the footballers and really helped turn things around.
Good news I think after Ger Cunningham term which really was a disaster.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2312 - 26/09/2017 11:12:49    2050587

Link

Seems a mad appt to me, but what do i know

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 26/09/2017 11:31:05    2050591

Link

This will be a real test for Gilroy and would be some achievement if he made a success of it.
Think he will go about it in a very organised and structured way and I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to get the side competitive again.

Sure even the journalists might be happier with his interviews.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 26/09/2017 14:45:43    2050679

Link

I think this will be a good appointment especially if he is surrounding himself with good hurling men like Anthony Cunningham.

Gilroy is a winner, is really organised and just gets on with it. The players will appreciate that.

I hope this means that the likes of Sutcliffe will rejoin the panel and Dublin will have a good team again next year.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 26/09/2017 15:19:00    2050688

Link

I know Dublin may have lost a year or two in terms of momentum but if Gilroy can bring back some of the older warriors & fuse them with the young bloods Ger Cunningham was concentrating on there's still the makings of a strong panel in Dublin. Convince the dual players they'd be better off on the pitch with the hurlers than warming the bench for the footballers...

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 26/09/2017 15:58:54    2050702

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Seems a mad appt to me, but what do i know"
That's what I thought when he got the football gig , so fingers crossed lightening and all that

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 26/09/2017 16:30:09    2050714

Link

Biggest obstacle Dublin Hurling has is the draw Football has on the dual players. While that continues Dublin will not get near an All Ireland final, no matter who is in charge. I wish Pat G ever success in the hot seat.

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 346 - 26/09/2017 17:32:53    2050738

Link

Replying To Brian_Coyote:  "Biggest obstacle Dublin Hurling has is the draw Football has on the dual players. While that continues Dublin will not get near an All Ireland final, no matter who is in charge. I wish Pat G ever success in the hot seat."
Completely disagree
We got to two all ireland semi finals but disnt build on it with successive management teams, Daly refused to throw the shackles of at times and Cunningham although blooding a lot of young players did so at the expense of loosing the run of the dressing room.
there's plenty of talented hurlers in Dublin to choose from the biggest problem we have had iS consistency. There has been no consitency from year on year or even month on month on both management teams watches. Another massive problem has been doing too much talking in the media and not enough letting the hurling back it up. Liam rushe in particular had to be one of the biggest culprits of being in the papers every week leading up to games saying too much instead of focusing on playing first. Gilroy if he takes over will have identified these two problems I'm sure and will aim in his first year to correct them.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/09/2017 17:51:43    2050744

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "I know Dublin may have lost a year or two in terms of momentum but if Gilroy can bring back some of the older warriors & fuse them with the young bloods Ger Cunningham was concentrating on there's still the makings of a strong panel in Dublin. Convince the dual players they'd be better off on the pitch with the hurlers than warming the bench for the footballers..."
The former underage hurlers on the football panel are gone. They won't be good enough to come back in and get us competitive again.

Keaney was an exception as he was one of the best hurlers we ever produced and even he came back as a pale shadow of the player he could have been. He really wasted his talent imo.

We have better hurlers than our Championship performances of late.

I really don't know what to make of Pat Gilroy's appointment but I wish him well obviously.

Anyone is better than what went before.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 26/09/2017 17:57:33    2050747

Link

Well done - i think it great move - he's the manager not the coach

I think this is an extremely positive step not only for dublin hurling but hurling.... wow.. i'm even excited

by the way apart from Sean Boylan has anyone else ever managed their 2 senior set-ups

cuchulainn35 (Armagh) - Posts: 1671 - 26/09/2017 20:08:46    2050786

Link

What level of hurling has Gilroy managed at? Has he managed at Senior club hurling level, or managed a college/Fitzgibbon cup team?

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 26/09/2017 20:53:07    2050802

Link

Replying To Marlon_JD:  "What level of hurling has Gilroy managed at? Has he managed at Senior club hurling level, or managed a college/Fitzgibbon cup team?"
None. But the point a lot of people are missing are his management skills. Be it sport or buisness hes a proven leader. Him running the show with a good hurling coach supposedly Cunningham might work a treat

Brianmac78 (Dublin) - Posts: 1168 - 26/09/2017 21:05:55    2050809

Link

Not really that mad. Done a super job transforming the footballers. James Horan doing a great job managing a senior hurling club in Galway. A lot of the same principles apply. If he has a top class coach and selectors with him he will get them back on track.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7885 - 26/09/2017 21:07:23    2050812

Link

Replying To cuchulainn35:  "Well done - i think it great move - he's the manager not the coach

I think this is an extremely positive step not only for dublin hurling but hurling.... wow.. i'm even excited

by the way apart from Sean Boylan has anyone else ever managed their 2 senior set-ups"
The as in THE Heffo managed Dubs underage hurlers and Vinny's hurlers. He managed our footballers for a bit too mind...... Did a decent job too.....

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 26/09/2017 21:13:42    2050814

Link

It currently needs a steady hand, consistency and someone who will motivate lads to play for the county again with pride. From that point of view Pat will do a great job. You would imagine he will have a strong and intercounty hurling cultured back room team.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 26/09/2017 21:29:50    2050825

Link

Replying To Marlon_JD:  "What level of hurling has Gilroy managed at? Has he managed at Senior club hurling level, or managed a college/Fitzgibbon cup team?"
Don't think so.

It'll be interesting.

The main positive I'd see is that I'd imagine he'll get the best hurlers (available) to hurl for Dublin.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 26/09/2017 21:40:03    2050830

Link

The lost generation is relevant Eric Lowndes picked up a hurl last weekend and scored 1-6 from play without breaking sweat in the intermeadiate championship , training in three years 0 games for club in three years in hurling 2 , Costello Kilkenny and others are capable of same , of course they are a loss only an idiot would think different, for gods sake Connolly lined out for Vincent's at midfield , dual players are by default excellent at both codes and when forced to chose there are consequences.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 26/09/2017 23:17:53    2050859

Link

He never managed a football team before he got the Dublin senior football team job. He played senior hurling before he played senior football and won Dublin championships at under 15 and 16.
it's not like he's from Spain and witnessing hurling for the first time. The majority of us on here haven't played inter county hurling but know plenty about it, I'm sure Gilroy is the same and the fact he had managed inter county football can only be an advantage, for me its important he brings guys like shay Boland and Joey fortune for their knowledge of the players on the panel as they have worked as under 21 and minor managers with the bulk of these players and know the club scene inside out.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/09/2017 23:36:55    2050865

Link

anthony cunningham managed garycastle when they reached the all ireland club final im pretty sure

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 27/09/2017 02:33:08    2050895

Link

great appointment dublin , and a brave one, the mans a winner

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2840 - 27/09/2017 09:52:42    2050924

Link