National Forum

Dublin v Tyrone Semi-Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Can't wait for the 27th!!! Should be epic.
Tyrone and Dublin done what they had to do yesterday.
One small thing I've noticed and I wonder what the Dubs think. (Don't go off on one Dubs, just an observation).
Dean Rock played excellent yesterday, kicked everything in sight. However he takes an age to kick a free kick. Well over a minute. The crowd were getting frustrated-even a few Dubs beside me said he takes too long."
cant say ive ever really noticed in all honesty, will have to keep an eye out against Tyrone next time out.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 06/08/2017 11:16:27    2029670

Link

This should be a great game and I'm hoping for a win for the neighbours obviously, I was a bit unsure of how good Tyrone are and I suppose it's still not easy because Armagh were so poor,but they looked like they are back on Saturday and it's great for Sean Cavanagh to get a final crack at the big prize,what a player he has been.
Dublin look like a superb unit, very hard to see anyone stopping them in reality but at least they are going to be pushed all the way by Tyrone and probably Kerry in the final, a Kerry v Tyrone final would be a cracker too.
Cmon Tyrone!!

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2739 - 06/08/2017 11:25:24    2029672

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Can't wait for the 27th!!! Should be epic.
Tyrone and Dublin done what they had to do yesterday.
One small thing I've noticed and I wonder what the Dubs think. (Don't go off on one Dubs, just an observation).
Dean Rock played excellent yesterday, kicked everything in sight. However he takes an age to kick a free kick. Well over a minute. The crowd were getting frustrated-even a few Dubs beside me said he takes too long."
Rock took ages over his frees yesterday but I'd never noticed that before.

The ref could really have pulled him up on it.

I'd blame the Monaghan players a bit though. They really should have been in the ref's ear over it but they weren't for some reason. Kinda sums up their attitude yesterday for me. Meekness personified.

I'm sure the Tyrone players will be well aware though and won't stand idly by.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 06/08/2017 11:37:30    2029680

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Rock took ages over his frees yesterday but I'd never noticed that before.

The ref could really have pulled him up on it.

I'd blame the Monaghan players a bit though. They really should have been in the ref's ear over it but they weren't for some reason. Kinda sums up their attitude yesterday for me. Meekness personified.

I'm sure the Tyrone players will be well aware though and won't stand idly by."
I hope that there's the right ref put in place for the game. The one for the Dublin match yesterday was a bit suspect. I would expect that Tyrone won't give away many frees.

Both teams have yet to be tested or really play their hand yet. I'm looking forward to this more than any other match in recent years!

HokeyPokey (Tyrone) - Posts: 1744 - 06/08/2017 13:01:38    2029712

Link

Like everyone really looking forward to this, its great and i think this fixture will capture the imagination on the country, two counties who dont do things the easy way and never shirk a battle.

Im confident based on the quality Dublin have and the prep done of when to peak this year, but i think that if any team in the country is going to stop Dublin it will be Tyrone.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 06/08/2017 13:08:24    2029714

Link

Replying To HokeyPokey:  "I hope that there's the right ref put in place for the game. The one for the Dublin match yesterday was a bit suspect. I would expect that Tyrone won't give away many frees.

Both teams have yet to be tested or really play their hand yet. I'm looking forward to this more than any other match in recent years!"
I don't think the ref was suspect. Maybe a couple of softish frees against Mon. McCarthy got one where I felt he had over carried.

Mon got a couple of soft ones too to be fair.

Just like every game ever played.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 06/08/2017 13:48:43    2029726

Link

Of course I want to see Sam coming back to Ulster and I am sure Tyrone can do it In saying that they will have two good teams to beat to achieve another All Ireland I think the semi final will be decided by how Dublin will handle Tyrone's defensive system I was right on the halfway line on the upper deck yesterday and was very impressed with Tyrone alough Armagh were desperate.
The second game was also poor but Dublin looked good They use the wings a lot and it might well test Tyrone the way they play
I think Tyrone would beat Dublin if the dubs perform like they did in last year's AI final And Dublin don't seem to perform as good towards the end of the championship as they do in the earlier stages. And let's face it the All IRELANDS they won ended tight enough affairs. Mayo twice had serious chances of beating them but could not do it The one team who Tyrone don't play well against are Mayo so if Tyrone /Mayo final the westerners could easily win whilst they would struggle v Dublin or Kerry

In the history of the GAA very few teams win four All IRELANDS except Kerry Dublin have done it over the last six years , have they ever won three in a row ?

SamOnErrigal (Donegal) - Posts: 1427 - 06/08/2017 19:34:02    2029873

Link

Huge game ahead

A war of attrition

2014 will be a very valuable lesson for Dublin.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 06/08/2017 20:24:54    2029907

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Huge game ahead

A war of attrition

2014 will be a very valuable lesson for Dublin."
Very different games, 2014 and 2017. In 2014, Dublin were absolutely caught on the hop because they probably genuinely believed that by going all out attack for the game it would be enough to get over the line easily. This time, Dublin are defensively watertight. If they are going to lose this game, it wont be because of an ambush, it will be because Tyrone are both as good as the Dubs and more hungry than they are.

I am interested in this game because of this. Are Tyrone as good as Dublin and are Dublin hungry enough to stave off Tyrone? A lot will depend on the discretion of the ref. I also think that 2 or 3 wides on either side will be the winning or losing of this game.

I wouldn't try and call it. The bookies have kerry at 2/1 while Dublin are at even money. Dublin will come in even further if they win v Tyrone. Tyrone could be 6/4 on if they beat Dublin by market rules. Interesting.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 06/08/2017 20:43:24    2029920

Link

Replying To SamOnErrigal:  "Of course I want to see Sam coming back to Ulster and I am sure Tyrone can do it In saying that they will have two good teams to beat to achieve another All Ireland I think the semi final will be decided by how Dublin will handle Tyrone's defensive system I was right on the halfway line on the upper deck yesterday and was very impressed with Tyrone alough Armagh were desperate.
The second game was also poor but Dublin looked good They use the wings a lot and it might well test Tyrone the way they play
I think Tyrone would beat Dublin if the dubs perform like they did in last year's AI final And Dublin don't seem to perform as good towards the end of the championship as they do in the earlier stages. And let's face it the All IRELANDS they won ended tight enough affairs. Mayo twice had serious chances of beating them but could not do it The one team who Tyrone don't play well against are Mayo so if Tyrone /Mayo final the westerners could easily win whilst they would struggle v Dublin or Kerry

In the history of the GAA very few teams win four All IRELANDS except Kerry Dublin have done it over the last six years , have they ever won three in a row ?"
Wexford won a four in row before anyone else in hurling and football.

Jedobi (Wexford) - Posts: 134 - 06/08/2017 21:08:18    2029933

Link

Pure hunger will see us across line. This is a serious Tyrone team. I fancied us to take the Dubs last year but Mayo scuppered that. I am much more confident this year but am worried about S.Cavanagh getting exposed once again at the business end. This team is different gravy to what the Dubs have faced in a long time. May the best team win.

ShaneFrank8 (Tyrone) - Posts: 8 - 07/08/2017 06:42:20    2030070

Link

Pure hunger will see us across line. This is a serious Tyrone team. I fancied us to take the Dubs last year but Mayo scuppered that. I am much more confident this year but am worried about S.Cavanagh getting exposed once again at the business end. This team is different gravy to what the Dubs have faced in a long time. May the best team win.

ShaneFrank8 (Tyrone) - Posts: 8 - 07/08/2017 06:42:31    2030071

Link

Replying To ShaneFrank8:  "Pure hunger will see us across line. This is a serious Tyrone team. I fancied us to take the Dubs last year but Mayo scuppered that. I am much more confident this year but am worried about S.Cavanagh getting exposed once again at the business end. This team is different gravy to what the Dubs have faced in a long time. May the best team win."
Think the issue with Tyrone particularly Mickey Harte is he is slow in taking action when a player is sailing close to the wind. Their style needs 15 players and last year it was as obvious as the nose on his face that Sean C was going to get a second yellow after the dodgy first one and again Saturday McCarron was seeing red and remained on pitch to get sent off again. If they lose players against the Dubs it bye bye time!

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 07/08/2017 10:05:37    2030106

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "Tyrone still need another prolific scoring forward or two to compete with this Dublin side who have an abundance of options in the forward 6. Harte's team of 10 years ago would I believe have beaten this current Dublin outfit but Tyrone just don't have that star quality and Canavan/Mulligan/O'Neill brilliance to turn a tie like this. Dublin by 5+."
Agree. We don't have scoring players who can pull it out of the fire like we used to. Tyrone get good team scores, but the team has to be playing well to get them. No team plays well for entire game and certainly not against the current Dubs. So when Dublin are on top, we're in trouble. I'd certainly say a close game; and a win is not impossible, but it is unlikely, unfortunately. As for the rest, if we were playing Mayo, I'd expect us to shade it, if playing Kerry, it'd be too close to call. Hope we don't just 'bring Dublin on' by giving them a close game. A win though would be the shock of the season.

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 07/08/2017 10:46:54    2030116

Link

Replying To ShaneFrank8:  "Pure hunger will see us across line. This is a serious Tyrone team. I fancied us to take the Dubs last year but Mayo scuppered that. I am much more confident this year but am worried about S.Cavanagh getting exposed once again at the business end. This team is different gravy to what the Dubs have faced in a long time. May the best team win."
I think you are seriously under estimating the hunger in this Dublin team.
The loss in the league final was exactly what we needed... Their determination to put things right is clearly evident.

All will be revealed in 3 weeks.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 3724 - 07/08/2017 11:47:07    2030151

Link

Last time you met a team as near Dublins level in the championship you lost, Your games this year in the championship have been every bit as one sided as ours, Whatever about us not playing a team like Tyrone, you guys haven't met a team like Dublin in championship football in just as long. Dublin hold the aces in that they can go plan A B or C, They are more unpredictable. Preparing for Tyrone for a team as diligent and professional and tuned in as the Dubs is easy, They will come up with something, and beat Tyrone in my opinion cause Dublin are just, better... Hunger isn't an issue. Whoever is more hungry is a cliché that annoys me, Don't see why Tyrone winning it would make them more hungry than a Dublin panel aiming to be the best team ever, They wont lack motivation that's for certain,

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 07/08/2017 12:19:45    2030177

Link

Replying To essmac:  "Agree. We don't have scoring players who can pull it out of the fire like we used to. Tyrone get good team scores, but the team has to be playing well to get them. No team plays well for entire game and certainly not against the current Dubs. So when Dublin are on top, we're in trouble. I'd certainly say a close game; and a win is not impossible, but it is unlikely, unfortunately. As for the rest, if we were playing Mayo, I'd expect us to shade it, if playing Kerry, it'd be too close to call. Hope we don't just 'bring Dublin on' by giving them a close game. A win though would be the shock of the season."
Tyrone have what it takes to frustrate the Dublin attack. If they succeed then they can win. Dubs hit 12 wides against Monaghan and they were not pressure kicks by and large. We will be kicking from distance and under pressure against Tyrone. Tyrone's challenge will be to convert the turnovers into scores at the other end. The Dublin backs are top notch and I just don't think Tyrone have the firepower, especially if Dublin man mark Donnelly and Harte. Facinating game in store though. Just like the Monaghan game, it's all about starting quickly for the Dubs. If we get an early run then I don't think Tyrone will be able to reel us in. If it stays close and Tyrone go one or two up then they could frustrate us and 2014 Donegal style panic could set in.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4700 - 07/08/2017 13:19:00    2030205

Link

I am very excited for this match I think it will be even better than the Dublin - Kerry semi last year in terms of intensity and end-to-end stuff. I think you'll see some monster scores and blocks on all sides. These are the 2 best defences in the game and the intensity and pressure they put on the opposition is something else. Someone mentioned in that kind of scenario it's the quality of forward that may get you over the line and in that you would say Dublin have an advantage over Tyrone. They also have a significant advantage in Dean Rock. Having a reliable free-taker that you know will ping any free from within 45 metres is a huge plus. Tyrone's tackling is fantastic but in this regard they'll need to be absolutely perfect.

I think it's set up to be a cracker, this Tyrone team have been building for a few years now and have yet to meet Dublin in championship. Neither side have met a team close to the challenge they'll face in 3 weeks. In that respect it may come down to who comes out the blocks faster as well. If Tyrone go 3 or 4 points up at any stage I can't really see a defence as good theirs letting the Dubs back in it, even an attack as good as the Dubs.

I've a funny feeling Tyrone will do it.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1432 - 07/08/2017 14:34:40    2030249

Link

There's one thing I did notice about the Tyrone/Armagh game. A lot of Dubs on the Hill were appreciative of the fine Tyrone scores and applauded them right through the game. That was nice to see.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9697 - 07/08/2017 18:54:22    2030509

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "There's one thing I did notice about the Tyrone/Armagh game. A lot of Dubs on the Hill were appreciative of the fine Tyrone scores and applauded them right through the game. That was nice to see."
There's a lot of respect for Tyrone here in Dublin, despite what you might think. They're a feared foe, a team we love to beat, and the atmosphere is up there with the best. Neutrals I'd say are sick to the stomach of watching Dublin/Kerry/Mayo.
You're perception of the Dublin fans/teams is influenced by a handful of yobs behind the goal on Hill 16, a Dublin 'based' media run by culchies and a couple of posters on a form.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 08/08/2017 00:07:48    2030725

Link