National Forum

Never Heard Of Him!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So a former Kildare footballer called Willie McCreery has been lambasting Ulster football calling it horrible and unwatchable?? I can honestly say I have never heard of the guy such is the impression he made on Gaelic football; maybe that's why he is now a horse trainer? The truth is that without the Ulster Championship this year, where the best games have been, Gaelic football would be a dross. Tomorrow we will witness another Leinster coronation for Dublin which will be over by the tenth minute. Maybe Willie can give us another view after that?

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9693 - 15/07/2017 14:04:02    2016895

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "So a former Kildare footballer called Willie McCreery has been lambasting Ulster football calling it horrible and unwatchable?? I can honestly say I have never heard of the guy such is the impression he made on Gaelic football; maybe that's why he is now a horse trainer? The truth is that without the Ulster Championship this year, where the best games have been, Gaelic football would be a dross. Tomorrow we will witness another Leinster coronation for Dublin which will be over by the tenth minute. Maybe Willie can give us another view after that?"
Ah come on. Anyone with limited GAA knowledge knows Willie McCreery was a Kildare midfielder in the 1990s and early 200s, playing midfield and winning 2 Leinsters.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 15/07/2017 14:35:18    2016917

Link

It's amazing to see someone so proud of their ignorance. I always got the impression you only started watching football around 2003 Ulsterman, nobody would expect you to know of a fine footballer who played in an All-Ireland final before then.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 15/07/2017 14:42:33    2016919

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "So a former Kildare footballer called Willie McCreery has been lambasting Ulster football calling it horrible and unwatchable?? I can honestly say I have never heard of the guy such is the impression he made on Gaelic football; maybe that's why he is now a horse trainer? The truth is that without the Ulster Championship this year, where the best games have been, Gaelic football would be a dross. Tomorrow we will witness another Leinster coronation for Dublin which will be over by the tenth minute. Maybe Willie can give us another view after that?"
Ulsterman, you should ask him how many all Ireland's he has! Connacht has been good this year in fairness.

foxes_denn (Cavan) - Posts: 129 - 15/07/2017 14:54:01    2016925

Link

Not many may agree but I enjoyed the Cavan v Monaghan and Down v Monaghan games.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 15/07/2017 14:55:10    2016927

Link

UM, Willie Mc was a super baller back in the 90's on a very good Kildare team. He would have been up there with Glen Ryan, Martin Lynch, Anthony Rainbow, Dermot Earley and Niall Buckley, in that bracket.
He was a top player.

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 15/07/2017 15:29:19    2016939

Link

He was a quality player.

Bon (Kildare) - Posts: 1895 - 15/07/2017 15:38:40    2016944

Link

Doesnt matter whether or not you heard of him. He's entitled to his opinion.

3Dhurling (Laois) - Posts: 24 - 15/07/2017 15:48:37    2016947

Link

No worries, I doubt he's heard of you either.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 15/07/2017 15:53:12    2016953

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "UM, Willie Mc was a super baller back in the 90's on a very good Kildare team. He would have been up there with Glen Ryan, Martin Lynch, Anthony Rainbow, Dermot Earley and Niall Buckley, in that bracket.
He was a top player."
Good enough footballer not fantastic nowhere near Glen Ryan class however very limited in his punditry - lazy reading of Ulster football - he should stop watching RTE and actually go to a game or watch sky coverage.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 15/07/2017 15:53:17    2016954

Link

McCreery was a fine midfielder.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 15/07/2017 15:55:12    2016956

Link

Nothing new with WMCs comments .

The abuse thrown at Ulster sides is disgusting.

Roscommon had 15 players behind the ball for about 70% v Galway - not a mention .

McCreery was a good player but like many hasn't a clue about the modern game so who cares.

Probably a bitter man .

He must love watcing Munster and Connacht football .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 15/07/2017 16:07:36    2016961

Link

Replying To IrishGael3:  "Good enough footballer not fantastic nowhere near Glen Ryan class however very limited in his punditry - lazy reading of Ulster football - he should stop watching RTE and actually go to a game or watch sky coverage."
I'd say he's racing most weekends!

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 15/07/2017 16:09:17    2016964

Link

Willie was an excellent footballer and is an excellent horse trainer by all accounts. I notice Ulsterman that you didn't quote the part of the article where he welcomed the fact that Down are in the Ulster final as he loves Down's attacking pedigree. WildPundit I enjoyed those two games as well.

Willie is known to have a great sense of humour and mischief. Just to relate a brief story that happened in the 1990's
Willie and his Clane team mates were in a pub in Newbridge after a clane. A few minutes later his fellow team mate and Kildare Player Eddie McCormack arrived. Eddie known to his friends as flash Eddie, had his hair gelled up and was wearing a bikers jacket. The owner Mr Cummins refused to serve Eddie saying "Sorry we don't serve your kind in here". "What kind is that"? asked a bemused Eddie. "Bikers", replied Mr Cummins. "we've had trouble with them before". "I'm not a biker" said Eddie. "I'm a footballer, I play for Clane and Kildare. I was playing across the road today for Clane. Just ask Willie McCreery and he'll tell you that I was playing". Whereupon Mr Cummins turned to Willie and asked, "Does this fellow play for Clane and Kildare. Willie, looked at Eddie, then turned to Mr Cummins and said, "No Mr Cummins I have never seen that fellow in my life before". After a laugh among willie and his fellow players and those in the vicinity, Willie relented and Eddie eventually got a pint.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2986 - 15/07/2017 16:10:16    2016966

Link

Willie was a fine player. Attack his comments all you want but saying you've never heard of him means you're either trying to be a smarta*se or your knowledge of football is nowhere near as great as you think.
He might have been an even better player if he hadn't spent many years working abroad in his chosen profession which is the horse industry. Might explain why he's a horse trainer! As were his father & brother by the way. (Who won an Irish Grand National among other things)

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 593 - 15/07/2017 16:16:08    2016968

Link

Ha ha you managed to display your own ignorance and lack of knowledge in gaelic football and therefore contradict you own argument in one post, that's fair going...

cuttothebone (Kildare) - Posts: 163 - 15/07/2017 16:16:40    2016970

Link

I remember him well as he was part of the Kildare team who turned us over a couple of times.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 15/07/2017 16:17:52    2016974

Link

Replying To TheRightStuff:  "Nothing new with WMCs comments .

The abuse thrown at Ulster sides is disgusting.

Roscommon had 15 players behind the ball for about 70% v Galway - not a mention .

McCreery was a good player but like many hasn't a clue about the modern game so who cares.

Probably a bitter man .

He must love watcing Munster and Connacht football ."
No, actually he loves watching Down play. Ulsterman failed to mention that in his post. In the actual interview Willie aid that he loves Down's attacking pedigree and is delighted to see Down in the Ulster final.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2986 - 15/07/2017 16:29:33    2016978

Link

If he was from antrim he'd be the best antrim footballet of the last 30 years. Give it a rest

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 365 - 15/07/2017 16:37:38    2016985

Link

Up to your old tricks Ulsterwhine.

POG2 (UK) - Posts: 14 - 15/07/2017 16:39:17    2016986

Link