National Forum

Carlow vs Monaghan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'm surprised to hear it was so bad where you were Seanfinn cos where I was in the stand it was our own supporters who were at it the most. the carlow ones were too but not nearly to the extent you're saying it was around you. suppose there'll be ones at every game at it tho

turkeyplucker (UK) - Posts: 137 - 17/07/2017 12:35:07    2018056

Link

Why was there no Booing when the Monaghan Goal was allowed even though it was a Square Ball. Noone in the ground, no official, no postmatch interviews and no mention from all the Know alls on TV. Have a good look at it before you reply and make sure you know the Square Ball Rule. Square Ball all day.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 17/07/2017 12:54:10    2018078

Link

RTE Player 1-21 into Sunday game from1-31 programme time.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 17/07/2017 12:58:45    2018084

Link

Kikfada Kelly ran into the square after the ball was played! Maybe your living on the old rules

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1928 - 17/07/2017 13:03:09    2018088

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "Why was there no Booing when the Monaghan Goal was allowed even though it was a Square Ball. Noone in the ground, no official, no postmatch interviews and no mention from all the Know alls on TV. Have a good look at it before you reply and make sure you know the Square Ball Rule. Square Ball all day."
Hold on a minute pal. Facts and all that. Referee & umpires get one chance and one chance only to view it. I watched it in real-time a number of times, couldn't make a call. Ended up pausing on what was I THINK the exact moment Dermot Malone played the hand-pass across the square. Fintan Kelly was just outside the square. Milliseconds later he was in it.
But Cormac Reilly, and his two umpires, all had eyes on Malone, and didn't see Kelly enter the square. Envious job for all officials.

I feel the goal was correctly awarded.

xxB3B0Stunnahxx (USA) - Posts: 94 - 17/07/2017 13:04:08    2018089

Link

Replying To turkeyplucker:  "I'm surprised to hear it was so bad where you were Seanfinn cos where I was in the stand it was our own supporters who were at it the most. the carlow ones were too but not nearly to the extent you're saying it was around you. suppose there'll be ones at every game at it tho"
Well that's exactly right. It shouldn't happen from both sets of supporters but I still enjoyed the atmosphere on Saturday night.

Our average attendance for games is around a 1000 and 6500 attended Saturday with more carlow jerseys than I even knew existed worn by the kids at ht.

That's my best memory of the night.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1517 - 17/07/2017 13:20:48    2018101

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Kikfada Kelly ran into the square after the ball was played! Maybe your living on the old rules"
Kickfada, the umpire closest to the incident was the same one that the boy Burns belted with the ball in Drogheda. Pity he wasn't as accurate putting the ball in the net or youse might still be in the championship. Is the west Louth clubs still taking the scraps of south Monaghan to help field teams?

muckla (UK) - Posts: 365 - 17/07/2017 13:29:36    2018105

Link

Replying To wexcore:  "You clearly weren't in wexford park when John lacey and ciaran lyng were booed ?? Or the whole team booed when coming on the pitch for second half

The worst I ever seen was the cheering when wexford kicked two wides in a row when ye were 15 points up ... why like?

Or for example in 06 when we bet you in clones and mattie Forde was booed every single time he touched the ball for an incident in a previous game between offaly and wexford. Just an example in case you use spur grapes.

Those in glasses houses shouldn't throw stones"
Wexcore - I was indeed in Wexford park and I didnt hear any booing of Wexford lads. I wasnt in the stand there either tho.

I did hear some cheering of Wexford wides alright - I don't condone that but it happens in every single game irrespective of who is playing.

There defo was not a team booed off at half time in Wexford park.

seanfinn (Monaghan) - Posts: 360 - 17/07/2017 13:31:31    2018109

Link

Replying To dubarra:  "Couldn't agree more. When Carlow got the first few points at the start of the second half and then the goal to go two ahead they had Monaghan on the rack but instead of trying to push on they sat back and invited Monaghan on to them. Monaghan were at sixes and sevans at that stage but Carlow tactics helped them to haul themselves out of a deep hole .I really think Carlow could have won the game if they had played a bit of football like they did against Wexford and Letrim in the second half of both those games."
If Carlow had opened up as you suggest our forwards would have got more space and punished them accordingly......but at least Carlow could say they had a go I suppose .

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 17/07/2017 13:32:54    2018114

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Well that's exactly right. It shouldn't happen from both sets of supporters but I still enjoyed the atmosphere on Saturday night.

Our average attendance for games is around a 1000 and 6500 attended Saturday with more carlow jerseys than I even knew existed worn by the kids at ht.

That's my best memory of the night."
True that.

In fairness, Carlow keep that level up and more and more people will come to games.

I was v impressed with the defensive set up. 1-2 decent forwards in the side and Monaghan were toast. Carlow broke through so many times and then spurned the end product,

seanfinn (Monaghan) - Posts: 360 - 17/07/2017 13:34:50    2018119

Link

Replying To wexcore:  "You clearly weren't in wexford park when John lacey and ciaran lyng were booed ?? Or the whole team booed when coming on the pitch for second half

The worst I ever seen was the cheering when wexford kicked two wides in a row when ye were 15 points up ... why like?

Or for example in 06 when we bet you in clones and mattie Forde was booed every single time he touched the ball for an incident in a previous game between offaly and wexford. Just an example in case you use spur grapes.

Those in glasses houses shouldn't throw stones"
Carlow played like men against us full of honest physicality but Wexford played with criminal intent before the ball was even thrown in. Wexford got their answer in the end & deservedly so !

Farney & Carlow Abu !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 17/07/2017 13:40:04    2018123

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "Why was there no Booing when the Monaghan Goal was allowed even though it was a Square Ball. Noone in the ground, no official, no postmatch interviews and no mention from all the Know alls on TV. Have a good look at it before you reply and make sure you know the Square Ball Rule. Square Ball all day."
Get your appointment with Specsavers asap........perfectly good goal !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 17/07/2017 13:42:54    2018127

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Kikfada Kelly ran into the square after the ball was played! Maybe your living on the old rules"
Or just plain blind !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 17/07/2017 13:47:28    2018132

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Well that's exactly right. It shouldn't happen from both sets of supporters but I still enjoyed the atmosphere on Saturday night.

That's my best memory of the night."
I'd say the crowd was greater than that. Seriously understated crowd when we played Wexford......GAA have history there !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 17/07/2017 13:49:52    2018137

Link

Replying To muckla:  "Kickfada, the umpire closest to the incident was the same one that the boy Burns belted with the ball in Drogheda. Pity he wasn't as accurate putting the ball in the net or youse might still be in the championship. Is the west Louth clubs still taking the scraps of south Monaghan to help field teams?"
Specsavers for you Monaghan lads. Kelly was at least 1 Metre inside the small square when the ball was handpassed across the face of the goal. At this level the umpires should be up to speed with close in passes less than 10 feet away from both of them. And it was'nt a close call. Any Neutrals wanna call it.

kikfada (Louth) - Posts: 2091 - 17/07/2017 14:49:00    2018191

Link

kikfada, there's a reason none of the officials, the supporters (incl the Carlow ones) or the pundits have mentioned a square ball- cos it wasn't one. Kelly was outside the square when Malone played the ball, and yes before ya ask I have looked at it again. you're the only one going on about it. i'll presume you're bored today and just on the wind up

turkeyplucker (UK) - Posts: 137 - 17/07/2017 15:52:27    2018228

Link

Replying To kikfada:  "Specsavers for you Monaghan lads. Kelly was at least 1 Metre inside the small square when the ball was handpassed across the face of the goal. At this level the umpires should be up to speed with close in passes less than 10 feet away from both of them. And it was'nt a close call. Any Neutrals wanna call it."
I looked at it a few times frame by frame and, much as I wanted to find it was a square ball, I thought the Monaghan goal was fair enough. He was outside the small square at the time the handpass was given across the goal. The goal scorer was well inside when he touched it by slapping it into the net but definitely outside when the pass was given. That's fair enough as far as I understand the rule. The goal was good and I dunno what you are on about unless you think the "square" is the penalty box, which it isn't.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1412 - 17/07/2017 16:44:29    2018261

Link

Replying To Shelbourne:  "Carlow played like men against us full of honest physicality but Wexford played with criminal intent before the ball was even thrown in. Wexford got their answer in the end & deservedly so !

Farney & Carlow Abu !"
So you agree that your crowed booed then ?? That all I was pointing out :).

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 740 - 17/07/2017 17:59:10    2018312

Link

Replying To turkeyplucker:  "kikfada, there's a reason none of the officials, the supporters (incl the Carlow ones) or the pundits have mentioned a square ball- cos it wasn't one. Kelly was outside the square when Malone played the ball, and yes before ya ask I have looked at it again. you're the only one going on about it. i'll presume you're bored today and just on the wind up"
Being a Louth GAA man isn't easy is it.....just let him work off his obvious frustration I suppose !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 17/07/2017 20:16:22    2018356

Link

Replying To wexcore:  "So you agree that your crowed booed then ?? That all I was pointing out :)."
Deservedly so because of their skullduggery on the pith unlike Carlow who were more physical in the proper sense & gave us a game of it.

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 17/07/2017 20:21:27    2018359

Link