National Forum

Carlow vs Monaghan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To supersub15:  "I have only seen Carlow play once this year in the championship and that was against London which is self-explanatory, impossible to get to see the Carlow/Dublin game on sky as the landlord didn't want to know. It appears that Carlow are given the same chance against Monaghan as they were against Dublin, so be it, but in saying that there's a first time for everything, I'm still not saying Carlow is going to do this, that, and the other, but, - up to two years ago Leitrim, London and Wexford would have accounted for Carlow full stop, even allowing for the fact that they were all div.4 teams, in the same way Dublin beat Carlow and Westmeath both div.4 teams to get to the leinster final and not a word about that, but as soon as Dublin accounted for Westmeath their odd's went to 1/12.
I mentioned earlier that there's a first time for everything, in the Carlow/ Dublin game it's time since 2010 that Dublin have failed to score a goal against any county in the leinster senior football championship. Personally I don't think at this stage there's much of a difference between what's left however it is Monaghan we have and so be it.
Monaghan appear to be coming into this game with a bit of swagger shall we say, the same swagger that brought them a 1-14 to 0-15 unwelcome defeat to a misfiring Down team who are now contesting the ulster final, and good luck to them, keeping in mind a year previous the same Monaghan team sent the same Down team home after beating them 2-22 to 0-09, in less than 12 months Down turned a 0-19 drubbing into a 0-02 victory, so you see nothing is impossible if you think positive.
It's unlikely I'll get to see this game either unless I find a suitable tavern with an Irish landlord."
just watch it on NOW TV. (if you have a computer or some device).
you can purchase a daily or weekly sub for the price of a few pints .

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 11/07/2017 23:57:41    2015337

Link

Replying To Yourjoking:  "Were in london do you live?"
Great to see Carlow getting a few games in the championship
we have to be realistic they have no chance of beating Monaghan
it will be a one sided affair Monaghan by 13 points t

wfkerry (USA) - Posts: 933 - 11/07/2017 23:59:18    2015338

Link

looking forward to it
Carlow have not conceded a goal in last 3 outings
I think they will spring a surprise.
I know it was leitrim but Carlow were awesome on Saturday. Leitrim could not get the ball
I have also watched the Dublin game a few times now and if you analyse the game before Murphy was sent off which released Fenton it was probably a 3 or 4 point win for the Dubs.
Any complacency will be punished

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 704 - 12/07/2017 13:12:07    2015551

Link

Replying To wfkerry:  "Great to see Carlow getting a few games in the championship
we have to be realistic they have no chance of beating Monaghan
it will be a one sided affair Monaghan by 13 points t"
Oh s**t here we go again..... Down Longford and now carlow.
Hope management have the squad hidden away

Live_Wire (Monaghan) - Posts: 40 - 12/07/2017 13:39:04    2015570

Link

Expecting a sticky 50 minutes in a tight Dr Cullen Park............with our bench to come on and open it up and pull away by 7 at the end.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 12/07/2017 15:23:32    2015650

Link

This will be a test for Monaghan make no bones about it...Carlow are flying it and will have a massive supports and bring great colour and passion to the day...The Farney will travel in numbers too...

A great night in drcullen park awaits living only a half hour away I might just tip up meself to lap up the gaa at its finest....Home venues with a novelty tie and everything at stake...

You can't bate it!

BigJohn.6_8 (Galway) - Posts: 704 - 12/07/2017 15:48:08    2015668

Link

Carlow are a team I have always wanted to see do well, and its great to finally see it. What I noted about their game against the Dubs, was how they physically bossed that game early on. They are physically very strong and exceptionally fit, and from that point of view will get stuck in to Monaghan.
A notable weakness is their lack of firepower, I think against a very solid defensive outfit like Monaghan, they might struggle for scores. Keepin it tight will be grand for 40-50 mins, but keeping the likes of McManus, McCarron and Kieran Hughes quiet after that becomes tricky as your best defendors get tired.

Monaghan are a hard edged team, I was shocked at how Down managed to boss them in the Ulster Semi final. Part of me feels they may have underestimated what Down were going to bring. I think that result combined with them seeing Carlow's formidable performance against Dublin will act as a wake up call. While Sean Murphy was driving through the Dubs and managed to gain a lot of ground, I expect him to be given special attention by Monaghan. Brendan Murphy will need to put in a top drawer performance if Carlow are to have any hope of prevailing.

I'll be shouting for Carlow,

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 13/07/2017 10:15:38    2015956

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "Carlow are a team I have always wanted to see do well, and its great to finally see it. What I noted about their game against the Dubs, was how they physically bossed that game early on. They are physically very strong and exceptionally fit, and from that point of view will get stuck in to Monaghan.
A notable weakness is their lack of firepower, I think against a very solid defensive outfit like Monaghan, they might struggle for scores. Keepin it tight will be grand for 40-50 mins, but keeping the likes of McManus, McCarron and Kieran Hughes quiet after that becomes tricky as your best defendors get tired.

Monaghan are a hard edged team, I was shocked at how Down managed to boss them in the Ulster Semi final. Part of me feels they may have underestimated what Down were going to bring. I think that result combined with them seeing Carlow's formidable performance against Dublin will act as a wake up call. While Sean Murphy was driving through the Dubs and managed to gain a lot of ground, I expect him to be given special attention by Monaghan. Brendan Murphy will need to put in a top drawer performance if Carlow are to have any hope of prevailing.

I'll be shouting for Carlow,"
Cheering for Carlow....Shocker.

seanfinn (Monaghan) - Posts: 360 - 13/07/2017 11:10:40    2015993

Link

The key to Monaghan's success is squeezing Carlow high up the field. In the first half against Dublin, Carlow played a lot of keep ball in their defence, even going back to the keeper to retain possession and get a breather. If Monaghan push right up they can startle Carlow from the start.
Neil McAdam will pick up Brendan Murphy with the sole purpose of being his shadow for the evening.
Looking forward to my first trip to Carlow in 13 years. Monaghan were beaten that time around, dont expect the same this time around.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1928 - 13/07/2017 13:21:12    2016075

Link

This is a complete mis-match folks - div 1 vs div 4. Have to say it's been a great year for Carlow, hope they can build on this over the coming years.

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 13/07/2017 16:44:29    2016173

Link

Cheering for Carlow....Shocker.
seanfinn (Monaghan) - Posts:240 - 13/07/2017 11:10:40

I have family ties in the Carlow/Kilkenny region, and they are huge underdogs in this game.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 13/07/2017 19:15:03    2016234

Link

You are right Brolly - a complete mismatch! Carlow played Dublin nd apart from that have played teams around the same level - Wexford lost key players early in the game and were poorer this year than in the last 6 or 7 years. London and Leitrim are not teams that would scare you. Yet Carlow did have to perform well against their opponents and have played better this year to a pattern and stuck with it. It has brought results and Monaghan now loom large on the horizon for Saturday evening.
There is no doubting Monaghan's class and many have asked who will take up McManus? I think we in Carlow should attempt to keep the ball away from him!!!! Simple!!!!
This is the first serious test from Carlow. The pattern used to date has worked well and the team now has a lot of confidence which is most welcome and is a result of winning... hard to beat it!...
Any performance in intercounty level today especially from an under dog needs a total team performance. Brendan Murphy will be the focus of extra attention again. He needs to man up at this stage and not get dragged down ot a situation where he again gets into trouble. More pressure will be applied to all sectors but especially at half back where their ball skills and team work will be vital to launching attack when in possession.
We have been over reliant on Paul Broderick but he is bale for the pressure and is a class player. The question is whether pther players can match up and play to a higher level and keep playing till the end.
Cullen Park is a superb pitch and with a huge Carlow support expected and playing in July - for the first time in years- Carlow will not be a push over. MONAGHAN SHULD WIN BUT - YOU NEVER KNOW!!!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1821 - 13/07/2017 19:31:12    2016240

Link

Its like one of those old FA cup 3rd round matches when a non-league team all of a sudden found themselves facing a 1st division giant, but the chances of a turnover are less in gealic football I guess.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8591 - 13/07/2017 19:42:45    2016246

Link

Looking forward to it mid July championship knock out where you want to be. We definitely need to start upping the performance now as we haven't really arrived yet into championship mode apart from fits and starts and no harm to Carlow but really should be aiming for a dominant performance and comfortable win here otherwise have no business going any further. A lot written about us being top 5-6 team with further ambitions need to start showing it on consistent basis.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1799 - 13/07/2017 22:14:58    2016288

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "You are right Brolly - a complete mismatch! Carlow played Dublin nd apart from that have played teams around the same level - Wexford lost key players early in the game and were poorer this year than in the last 6 or 7 years. London and Leitrim are not teams that would scare you. Yet Carlow did have to perform well against their opponents and have played better this year to a pattern and stuck with it. It has brought results and Monaghan now loom large on the horizon for Saturday evening.
There is no doubting Monaghan's class and many have asked who will take up McManus? I think we in Carlow should attempt to keep the ball away from him!!!! Simple!!!!
This is the first serious test from Carlow. The pattern used to date has worked well and the team now has a lot of confidence which is most welcome and is a result of winning... hard to beat it!...
Any performance in intercounty level today especially from an under dog needs a total team performance. Brendan Murphy will be the focus of extra attention again. He needs to man up at this stage and not get dragged down ot a situation where he again gets into trouble. More pressure will be applied to all sectors but especially at half back where their ball skills and team work will be vital to launching attack when in possession.
We have been over reliant on Paul Broderick but he is bale for the pressure and is a class player. The question is whether pther players can match up and play to a higher level and keep playing till the end.
Cullen Park is a superb pitch and with a huge Carlow support expected and playing in July - for the first time in years- Carlow will not be a push over. MONAGHAN SHULD WIN BUT - YOU NEVER KNOW!!!"
It's a two-horse race therefore anything can happen. I think it would be foolish for Carlow to be just focussing on McManus - he received an early black card last weekend and we racked up over 3-20 without him after.

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 13/07/2017 22:39:00    2016299

Link

Replying To Brolly:  "It's a two-horse race therefore anything can happen. I think it would be foolish for Carlow to be just focussing on McManus - he received an early black card last weekend and we racked up over 3-20 without him after."
Yeah that was a big mistake by Wexford to put SO much emphasis on McManus. He didn't score and they achieved their goal by getting him to retaliate and get a black card - but by that point, we were already 2-6 to 0-2 up and the game was over.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 936 - 13/07/2017 23:19:03    2016314

Link

Replying To Brolly:  "It's a two-horse race therefore anything can happen. I think it would be foolish for Carlow to be just focussing on McManus - he received an early black card last weekend and we racked up over 3-20 without him after."
maybe you shouldn't start him. perhaps the whole team play better without him.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 13/07/2017 23:22:17    2016317

Link

It would be the biggest shock result in GAA in my memory anyway, I'll be shouting for Carlow too but it's very unlikely they'll be within 10 points of Monaghan.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2747 - 13/07/2017 23:42:15    2016324

Link

Replying To GaryMc82:  "Cheering for Carlow....Shocker.
seanfinn (Monaghan) - Posts:240 - 13/07/2017 11:10:40

I have family ties in the Carlow/Kilkenny region, and they are huge underdogs in this game."
You must have family ties in then every region except Monaghan judging by your opinions ....but then again we're not actually relying on you ....are we !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 14/07/2017 01:08:51    2016336

Link

You must have family ties in then every region except Monaghan judging by your opinions ....but then again we're not actually relying on you ....are we !
Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts:158 - 14/07/2017 01:08:51 2

Are you of the opinion that I am anti-Monaghan? Because thats not true at all, I was probably more honest in recent years than some Monaghan posters would have liked. But I gave an honest opinion, and it was based on what I seen on the pitch and not because of any underlying dislike for Monaghan.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3017 - 14/07/2017 13:33:33    2016513

Link