National Forum

Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

The GAA and the media are making a big fuss about the start of the hurling cship next sunday, did the hurling chip not start weeks go? Shows what regard Meath, Laois, Kerry and Westmeath are held in by Croke Park. I've said it on here before the hurling top brass dont give a toss about hurling at lower levels, as long as Cork etc. are strong it does not matter, the Ring, Rackard and Maher cups need to be just ran off and got out of the way before the big boys arrive.

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2840 - 18/05/2017 15:42:20    1988000

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "The GAA and the media are making a big fuss about the start of the hurling cship next sunday, did the hurling chip not start weeks go? Shows what regard Meath, Laois, Kerry and Westmeath are held in by Croke Park. I've said it on here before the hurling top brass dont give a toss about hurling at lower levels, as long as Cork etc. are strong it does not matter, the Ring, Rackard and Maher cups need to be just ran off and got out of the way before the big boys arrive."
I don't know about any fuss. But what I do know is that the 2017 All-Ireland Hurling Championship started on the 23rd April with the Leinster Qualifier Group Round 1.

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2447 - 18/05/2017 17:36:46    1988045

Link

Replying To Cockney_Cat:  "I don't know about any fuss. But what I do know is that the 2017 All-Ireland Hurling Championship started on the 23rd April with the Leinster Qualifier Group Round 1."
As you have said there yourself that was a Qualifying competition to get in to the championship so yes the championship dies start this weekend. There are qualifiers for all the big tennis and golf that we never hear about. Same principle here. Westmeatand Laois are the only 2 counties from the list above that are in the championship this year!!!

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 20/05/2017 14:01:53    1988537

Link

Yes indeed its just a qualifier and not the real thing. But its still a bit unfair to the Laois, Meath, W'meath and Kerry. They rank much higher in hurling than say Sligo and Newyork in Football yet the media coverage for both was miles apart.

ZUL10 (Clare) - Posts: 693 - 20/05/2017 15:55:29    1988565

Link

Replying To Westfester:  "As you have said there yourself that was a Qualifying competition to get in to the championship so yes the championship dies start this weekend. There are qualifiers for all the big tennis and golf that we never hear about. Same principle here. Westmeatand Laois are the only 2 counties from the list above that are in the championship this year!!!"
The All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship is a double-elimination tournament based on the Leinster and Munster provincial championships...

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship

Seven of the twelve Leinster counties compete. Galway and Kerry, though not in Leinster, also participate. The competition begins with a qualifier group consisting of the four weakest teams. Two teams from the qualifier group progress and the remainder of the competition is knock-out.

The 2017 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship is the 130th staging of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship since its establishment by the Gaelic Athletic Association in 1887. The championship begins on 23 April 2017 and is scheduled to end on 3 September 2017. Wikipedia

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2447 - 21/05/2017 08:52:50    1988704

Link