National Forum

Mayo 2017 - a troid too far?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

With no discernible form in the league, no new additions to the squad, no evidence of a new game plan, the likes of Keith Higgins and Andy Moran starting games in central positions, no sign that Aido has learned from the past, Dublin still Dublin, Kerry and Donegal integrating some very talented youngsters, Tyrone determined to prove they have what it takes, ditto Monaghan with two top class forwards, and Galway on the rise, are Mayo capable of burning more fumes to finally land the prize, or are most pundits right to count them out of contention for 2017?

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 17/05/2017 14:28:21    1987541

Link

As cliched and all as it sounds Mayo will not be far away again this year.

A little bit of luck and the guile to capitalise on that luck and the ultimate prize could be there for them.

I know it's the boring answer but that's how I see it.

They are so close.

Fans/pundits/media are very quick to write teams off in the GAA world. It's easy copy and they of course all get proven right eventually in the long but generally after being wrong for a few seasons.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13703 - 17/05/2017 14:43:09    1987548

Link

Honestly think Mayo will once again be very close

Problem they have in 2017 is that they are possibly on the tougher side of the draw IMO

Where a likely meeting with an excellent Kerry side probably awaits

It may take an almost peak like performance to get through that game

Also getting the Kerry monkey off their backs will generate an awful lot of hype and expectation

Trying to possibly up the performance after having to beat Kerry will prove very difficult, that semi-final win will take great effort.

They are right in there with having a definite shot of winning Sam

But it's a lot harder this year compared to previous attempts and would be right up there with one of the best AI's ever won IMO considering what has already happened to this team.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 17/05/2017 14:55:00    1987555

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "With no discernible form in the league, no new additions to the squad, no evidence of a new game plan, the likes of Keith Higgins and Andy Moran starting games in central positions, no sign that Aido has learned from the past, Dublin still Dublin, Kerry and Donegal integrating some very talented youngsters, Tyrone determined to prove they have what it takes, ditto Monaghan with two top class forwards, and Galway on the rise, are Mayo capable of burning more fumes to finally land the prize, or are most pundits right to count them out of contention for 2017?"
Father Time has caught up with this Mayo team- it will be hard enough even to wrestle back Nestor from the Herron Chokers, let alone beat (in all likelihood) Tyrone, Kerry and Dublin en route to Sam.

And you'd have to worry about our lack of competitiveness at underage over the past decade or so, save for a DOC inspired U-21 team last season.

A grim period ahead.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 17/05/2017 14:57:59    1987558

Link

Their chance is gone, and i think Mayo supporters need to look at the bigger picture which in fairness you are... All the talk in Mayo is about Kerry/ Dublin playing in September etc.. They need to concentrate on Sligo. The biggest worry, is Rochford still relying on Andy Moran, Alan Dillon, Barry Moran esp since the latter two have played no compeditive games since last season for Mayo. The fact that no young players are getting in is a serious concern. They need to win and win well on Sunday, set out message they they are a top 2 team and beat Sligo by 9 points plus. Anything less and the same old qustions will be ther on Sunday evening... I think Sligo could make it uncormfortable for stages..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 17/05/2017 15:01:37    1987562

Link

Nice title!

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 17/05/2017 15:03:12    1987564

Link

This Mayo team may be getting no better but the opposition aren't either. You could maybe argue Kerry are better than last year and will mount a serious challenge but one of the other teams are ahead of Mayo. Dublin will be the team to beat and Mayo are as well equipped as anybody for the challenge. They could do with some fresh faces in the team though.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1873 - 17/05/2017 15:17:06    1987574

Link

Ah sure I might as well throw my season ticket in the river Moy and not bothar for the next few years....come off it.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11225 - 17/05/2017 15:17:19    1987575

Link

Still in the top 3 but in more danger than ever of being beaten by the likes of Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan the semi final. Hard to know exactly where they are.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7882 - 17/05/2017 17:31:26    1987642

Link

I definitely wouldn't be talking down Mayo chances.

They have bee consistently been the second est team in Ireland this decade.

Look any of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Monaghan or Tyrone are capable of knocking each other out. (Despite football not being a competitive in this era anymore):)

I think the key word for Mayo is evolution, they changed their philosophy and approach last year from a more creative to a more contained and disciplined approach, Its the closest they came to following through with intent in winning an All Ireland and if they had, you couldn't say it wasn't deserved, on the performance and not the hodoo that surrounds them.

Mayo need to take the positives from last year and work on the aspects that let them down. Dublin are probably one of the best and creative attacking teams of all time. Mayo brought them to a replay and were only marginally beat, that takes some planning, talent and focus. Getting away from decisions on the day, if the can evolve and find a better balance between the best of their defensive game but also increasing their scoring, they will be very hard to beat. I dont necessarily think its forwards Mayo missing, rather then the game plan. Kerry are a great example in the league final they sprung a game plan in the third quarter that bamboozled Dublin and won them the game, i dont think Kerry are any better then Mayo to be honest, but that type of approach is something Mayo need to develop.

I repeat last year was year 1 under Rochford in any other county the performance and closeness is a great year to be built in, dont let the hunger for an AI tell you else-wise, i actually expect them to be a lot better this year, if they can keep the psychological part of task at hand at bay.

Should it come to pass, im really looking forward to Mayo and Kerry, Mayo owe them one in a big way.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4443 - 17/05/2017 18:14:11    1987655

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Ah sure I might as well throw my season ticket in the river Moy and not bothar for the next few years....come off it."
I wouldn't be that pessimistic myself Yewtree and some might see it as an achievement to be able to reduce expectations so successfully almost every year. I've come across a Galway poster suggesting that Mayo will go down to Sligo on Sunday.... nothing's impossible but I think it wouldn't be suggested in relation to Kerry, the Dubs or even Tyrone. At the same time I couldn't honestly say what to expect, except that any real focus on September will necessitate some dicing with lower levels of preparedness at this time of the year. Mayo can't run flat out all summer and I think even that might be beyond the Dubs this year, with the age profile a year or so higher than Mayo's on average. I think Dublin's league run this year reflects a different approach by them for the three in a row bid.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 17/05/2017 17:42:20    1987664

Link

Mayo are 3rd favourites with the bookies. Hard to argue with that really.

To write them off because of the league would be strange in my book. They got what they wanted from the league by staying in division 1.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4193 - 17/05/2017 18:02:45    1987668

Link

We'll give out but we'll never give up !

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7324 - 18/05/2017 09:29:04    1987805

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "Nice title!"
Penny just dropped after reading your post!

Nice title indeed.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13703 - 18/05/2017 13:27:41    1987923

Link

Mayo are still either the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country and rightly so given their performances since 2011.

The issue is they are showing signs of regression as opposed to progression the last 12 months.

Mayo is one of our great football counties who will not rest until they win Sam, unfortunately I doubt it will be this group who win it but you'd be a fool to completely dismiss them.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 18/05/2017 14:17:05    1987957

Link

Interesting stat for those who say the Mayo team since Horan has remained practically the same. The Mayo team which started last year's first round game had 9 starters from the 2012 final v Donegal.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11225 - 18/05/2017 14:40:06    1987972

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "With no discernible form in the league, no new additions to the squad, no evidence of a new game plan, the likes of Keith Higgins and Andy Moran starting games in central positions, no sign that Aido has learned from the past, Dublin still Dublin, Kerry and Donegal integrating some very talented youngsters, Tyrone determined to prove they have what it takes, ditto Monaghan with two top class forwards, and Galway on the rise, are Mayo capable of burning more fumes to finally land the prize, or are most pundits right to count them out of contention for 2017?"
Hopefully.......but in all seriousness you may be able to pull a big year out of Keith Higgins, Andy Moran etc. they still have it but they are at that age where the legs can go overnight.

I am not sure about Mayo's conveyor belt. They have got hammered the last 3 years by Galway at minor. Bar last years U21's there has not been a lot happening for a while.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1825 - 18/05/2017 14:52:02    1987977

Link

I think the recent u21 winners need to be given a chance.
Galway have given thier young fellas time and it has seemed to have worked for them.

Because of the nature of the football championship system Mayo are more then likely always going to be just three wins away from finally winning Sam.

I think throwing a few more young lads into the panel is the way to go, and let them develop from thier.

Also maybe Mayo could go the Kildare mid 90s to 00s route?
Get a big name outside manager and get a few players from other counties to play for them.
The Mayo halfbacks and midfield have always been decent/above average traditionally.

Another forward with a bit of spark and creativity, and another scoring forward is all that is really needed for Mayo, to finally land the big one.

The foundations are there to be built on.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 18/05/2017 16:05:12    1988012

Link

I think form and results can skew people's thinking when it comes to a knockout competition that the All Ireland still very much is.
Dublin's all ireland final day wins have all been by small margins, their dominance says otherwise, but on any given day from the quarter finals on, they could be caught.
Arsenal are in another FA cup final next weekend, their 3rd in the last 4 seasons. If you took them on that form, would anyone be sticking the house on them every January? We probably should but they wouldn't even be favourites. I know the FA cup isn't the primary competition it once was, but it's format, from the quarters on, is the same as the All Ireland where anything can happen on a given day, regardless of the teams that are playing.
Mayo aren't showing form right now but they go into this year's championship looking to play in their 3rd All Ireland final in 5 seasons. Well worth a punt in my book

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 18/05/2017 16:23:09    1988021

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I think the recent u21 winners need to be given a chance.
Galway have given thier young fellas time and it has seemed to have worked for them.

Because of the nature of the football championship system Mayo are more then likely always going to be just three wins away from finally winning Sam.

I think throwing a few more young lads into the panel is the way to go, and let them develop from thier.

Also maybe Mayo could go the Kildare mid 90s to 00s route?
Get a big name outside manager and get a few players from other counties to play for them.
The Mayo halfbacks and midfield have always been decent/above average traditionally.

Another forward with a bit of spark and creativity, and another scoring forward is all that is really needed for Mayo, to finally land the big one.

The foundations are there to be built on."
with all respect, who from the current Mayo team to face Sligo should be dropped and who would you bring in? The calibre of forward is not available right now. Young Boland is down to start.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11225 - 18/05/2017 16:49:12    1988027

Link