National Forum

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Ok folks, on the eve of the championship I think its time to start talking about the real thing. As my own beloved county attempt a historic 3-in-a-row, I have an added interest this year. It would be some achievement in the modern game, but the waters are shark-infested this year.

Kerry have their 'belief' back, Mayo's desire must be that of a 66 year old virgin. Donegal and Tyrone will probably be in the mix, as will I think, Monaghan. Galway should have more confidence than in recent times, and even Kildare and Meath have made some strides.

The gap is closing, but I still believe Dublin have the tools to do the job, even more so now that Kerry have beaten them, and Jim Gavin is one cute hoor (Kerry connections?) Some nice talent coming through too.

But would I put a lot of money on Dublin to do it? No I wouldn't.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 06/05/2017 23:55:50    1984897

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Ok folks, on the eve of the championship I think its time to start talking about the real thing. As my own beloved county attempt a historic 3-in-a-row, I have an added interest this year. It would be some achievement in the modern game, but the waters are shark-infested this year.

Kerry have their 'belief' back, Mayo's desire must be that of a 66 year old virgin. Donegal and Tyrone will probably be in the mix, as will I think, Monaghan. Galway should have more confidence than in recent times, and even Kildare and Meath have made some strides.

The gap is closing, but I still believe Dublin have the tools to do the job, even more so now that Kerry have beaten them, and Jim Gavin is one cute hoor (Kerry connections?) Some nice talent coming through too.

But would I put a lot of money on Dublin to do it? No I wouldn't."
That sums it up fairly neatly.Dublin favourites but no certainties at all.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2154 - 07/05/2017 07:37:21    1984906

Link

Good post realdub

Fairly spot on!!

For me the 3 in a row is achievable but probably unlikely, it's hard enough putting two together, Dublin went through the motions in the league, resting, rotating players, some seeing little to no game time, so it'll all be about the timing, will Dublin be back to their best in August? We'll have to wait and see. 2017 IMO will see Dublin come up slightly short. We need an injection of pace up front and that means getting fresh, hungry players, I think we have them but 2017 might be too early.

Now for the positives

Gavin being offered and accepting another couple of years in charge will give Dublin every opportunity across 18/19 to put together a new looking team, with a number of promising players available.

2017 may be the last hurrah for this current looking team, they def have it in them but far from easy.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 07/05/2017 10:26:22    1984925

Link

The Dubs are the team to beat. They are looking to do the the three in a row for the first time since 1921 to 1923. Who will be their main challengers? Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan. From my own county at the start of the year I wanted Louth to avoid relegation and reach the Leinster semi-finals. Well in the league they did very well to get promoted. They are playing Wicklow in two weeks with the winners playing Meath. Louth have only reached one Leinster semi-final since 1998. Can wee do it? Yes wee can. An Lu Abu! Roll on the Championship!

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 07/05/2017 10:27:31    1984926

Link

Keep the faith springs to mind at the start of every year when I think of my own county. We are capable but are we likely? Time will tell.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 07/05/2017 10:32:47    1984927

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Ok folks, on the eve of the championship I think its time to start talking about the real thing. As my own beloved county attempt a historic 3-in-a-row, I have an added interest this year. It would be some achievement in the modern game, but the waters are shark-infested this year.

But would I put a lot of money on Dublin to do it? No I wouldn't."
Belief back? Had it ever gone? We're Kerry lad we never believe we can't win anytime any place.

Hoping for a big year from the Kingdom and can't wait for it all to kick off.

An Riocht Abu!

#BRING SAM HOME :D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 07/05/2017 11:28:02    1984935

Link

Ah look, it's great to be looking forward to another Summer of football and hurling.
Dublin will be the favourites still I'd say but most likely to come acropper against Kerry or Mayo .
Mayo will get tested in Connaught before a crack at Kerry.No clear favourite in Ulster.
A lot of football to be played yet but this could be one of the more interesting for a while.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 07/05/2017 12:27:33    1984942

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Belief back? Had it ever gone? We're Kerry lad we never believe we can't win anytime any place.

An Riocht Abu!

#BRING SAM HOME :D"
Nice to see you've moved away from your boycott.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 07/05/2017 12:38:48    1984945

Link

Replying To catch22:  "Ah look, it's great to be looking forward to another Summer of football and hurling.
Dublin will be the favourites still I'd say but most likely to come acropper against Kerry or Mayo .
Mayo will get tested in Connaught before a crack at Kerry.No clear favourite in Ulster.
A lot of football to be played yet but this could be one of the more interesting for a while."
About right Dubs team to beat still. Ulster - think Donegal favourites with Monaghan and Tyrone in that order following suit but latter 2 could get momentum in qualifiers if both solve their obvious problems - Tyrone no free scoring forwards or free taker and Monaghan over reliance on McManus. Kerry will stroll into semis and Mayo wil get a test from Galway but feel Mayo still have enough to get to latter stages of AI. But for me Dubs are the team and should get 3 in a row.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 07/05/2017 12:58:38    1984947

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Belief back? Had it ever gone? We're Kerry lad we never believe we can't win anytime any place.

An Riocht Abu!

Yes, belief back, maybe not you in particular but plenty of Kerry people were worried about this dublin side, It was admitted in the papers and on Radio Kerry over the last while.
Hence Kerry celebrated a league final win like never before!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 07/05/2017 13:24:31    1984952

Link

Replying To IrishGael3:  "About right Dubs team to beat still. Ulster - think Donegal favourites with Monaghan and Tyrone in that order following suit but latter 2 could get momentum in qualifiers if both solve their obvious problems - Tyrone no free scoring forwards or free taker and Monaghan over reliance on McManus. Kerry will stroll into semis and Mayo wil get a test from Galway but feel Mayo still have enough to get to latter stages of AI. But for me Dubs are the team and should get 3 in a row."
Not that we have an abundance of scoring forwards, but if anything we were over reliant on McCarron in the league, not McManus. If we can get Conor back fit and flying aswell as McCarron keeping up his own form, then we should have a much more potent attack than we've had in recent years.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 936 - 07/05/2017 13:27:44    1984954

Link

An Riocht Abu!

I don't know bud, we're after losing 3 of the greatest players to ever play the game in o'sé o'mahony and gooch (about 220 championship games experience between them ) and then throw in that killian young and Shane Enright and jod can't seem to get fit I'd say we could be in trouble.

But it's not all bad as we won the league and McGrath cup.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 07/05/2017 13:34:11    1984955

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Yes, belief back, maybe not you in particular but plenty of Kerry people were worried about this dublin side, It was admitted in the papers and on Radio Kerry over the last while.
Hence Kerry celebrated a league final win like never before!"
How did we over celebrate the league
Realdub ?

I didn't even have a pint after the game, the cup wasn't paraded around the national schools in Kerry.

I think we celebrated beating mayo away more after the 2014 semifinal as we all went on the pitch and went on the beer after.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 07/05/2017 14:27:20    1984966

Link

Meath should reach Las 8. ( better be careful in saying that incase I accused of over hyping them). Ok Meath will reach last 32.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 07/05/2017 14:43:19    1984969

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "How did we over celebrate the league
Realdub ?

I didn't even have a pint after the game, the cup wasn't paraded around the national schools in Kerry.

I think we celebrated beating mayo away more after the 2014 semifinal as we all went on the pitch and went on the beer after."
Ah not talking about you and the fans in general but it was in the body language of the players at the final whistle, it was obvious it meant a lot.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 07/05/2017 14:48:44    1984970

Link

Replying To patk:  "Not that we have an abundance of scoring forwards, but if anything we were over reliant on McCarron in the league, not McManus. If we can get Conor back fit and flying aswell as McCarron keeping up his own form, then we should have a much more potent attack than we've had in recent years."
Agree but championship is different from league and if he repeats his league performances then you've gone a long way to start solving your problems but you are also missing Hughes which if anything supported McManus so difficult to know until heat of championship begins.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 07/05/2017 15:25:49    1984974

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Ah not talking about you and the fans in general but it was in the body language of the players at the final whistle, it was obvious it meant a lot."
Ah ya I suppose they did celebrate a bit, for the majority of them it was their first league medal and even first game in crokepark for more of the lads.

Which team do think will take more from the league final realdub?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 07/05/2017 16:52:05    1984988

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "The Dubs are the team to beat. They are looking to do the the three in a row for the first time since 1921 to 1923. Who will be their main challengers? Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan. From my own county at the start of the year I wanted Louth to avoid relegation and reach the Leinster semi-finals. Well in the league they did very well to get promoted. They are playing Wicklow in two weeks with the winners playing Meath. Louth have only reached one Leinster semi-final since 1998. Can wee do it? Yes wee can. An Lu Abu! Roll on the Championship!"
and best of luck to you, Louth's had a great season and I hope you's go far

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 738 - 07/05/2017 17:00:34    1984992

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ah ya I suppose they did celebrate a bit, for the majority of them it was their first league medal and even first game in crokepark for more of the lads.

Which team do think will take more from the league final realdub?"
Good question, I think both are taking away different lessons of equal measure to be honest!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 07/05/2017 18:34:25    1985003

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ah ya I suppose they did celebrate a bit, for the majority of them it was their first league medal and even first game in crokepark for more of the lads.

Which team do think will take more from the league final realdub?"
Good question, I think both are taking away different lessons of equal measure to be honest!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 07/05/2017 20:00:16    1985024

Link