National Forum

Leinster Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

So, it starts this weekend.
Who is going to come out of the RR series? Laois are supposedly riddled with injuries, so it could be Westmeath's chance to shine?
Kerry (yes, geography and the GAA just don't mix) should have enough to beat Meath.
I am going to go with Laois to come out of the round robin overall and give Wexford one hell of a battle, with less between them than people think. They gave us a good game of it in the league, we came out on top but not by a convincing margin.
If we do win that, we can certainly give Kilkenny a right rattle, but I still fear when Cody's teams smell the fresh cut grass they are a different animal.
On the other side, I think Dublin reinforced with the Cuala contingent will give Galway a game but Galway will have too much for them and Offaly.
So a Kilkenny Galway final for me, with ourselves the most likely to upset the apple cart.
Galway to win it.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 21/04/2017 16:05:47    1981510

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "So, it starts this weekend.
Who is going to come out of the RR series? Laois are supposedly riddled with injuries, so it could be Westmeath's chance to shine?
Kerry (yes, geography and the GAA just don't mix) should have enough to beat Meath.
I am going to go with Laois to come out of the round robin overall and give Wexford one hell of a battle, with less between them than people think. They gave us a good game of it in the league, we came out on top but not by a convincing margin.
If we do win that, we can certainly give Kilkenny a right rattle, but I still fear when Cody's teams smell the fresh cut grass they are a different animal.
On the other side, I think Dublin reinforced with the Cuala contingent will give Galway a game but Galway will have too much for them and Offaly.
So a Kilkenny Galway final for me, with ourselves the most likely to upset the apple cart.
Galway to win it."
I think Galway could win the all Ireland this year. Whether it's through the front door or back door i don't know. Remember how close the semi finals were last year, it might well have been a Galway Waterford final. I think if Wexford do meet Kilkenny it will be a very close game. Galway will make the Leinster final anyway. Im afraid Dublin are not up to the required level at the moment. Not enough good handy forwards to get us the scores and, with the exception of o donnell, a poor full back line.

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 21/04/2017 16:44:25    1981518

Link

galway wexford final for me,galway to avenge the defeat earlier in the year.....but i have a sneaky feeling that we could take galway in it.
but i have never ever wrote off kilkenny,and whoever wins the round robin will give us one hell of a game.
if dublin had a full team they could be champs but not without the absentees.
good potential in the leinster championship this year though.tipp will walk munster.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 21/04/2017 17:14:13    1981528

Link

Galway the only serious threat to KK.
Kerry could do well in the RR I hope they come out of it and get a crack in the Liam McCarthy proper. Unlucky to be relegated in the league.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 21/04/2017 17:14:15    1981529

Link

This could be the hardest Leinster round robin to call so far.
I think Meath might have a good chance of coming out of this group. Having to play Antrim twice last year really cemented that their Christy Ring win was no fluke, and since then, they've been on fire. They really cut a swathe through division 2b, they were the best team by a distance it seems (certainly going by the scorelines they racked up).
Westmeath didn't have a great league, albeit they were playing one division up. Even though Laois have ALOT of injuries, they still seemed to have that bit extra over Kerry in 1b, and it looks like Kerry have lost Daniel Collins for the championship as well.

If Laois's injury situation doesn't improve, I think Kerry and Meath might come out of the group. If Laois can get 75% of their injured players back in time, I could see Laois and Meath coming out of the group. I know its trite to say "its hard to call", but in this case, it really is.

Marlon_JD (Tipperary) - Posts: 1823 - 21/04/2017 17:17:07    1981530

Link

I think Galway will have too much for Dublin when they meet and will progress to the final where I believe they will have to play Kilkenny yet again.
I think Wexford will feel the Cats claws in Wexford Park, Davy or no Davy.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 21/04/2017 17:42:28    1981533

Link

I think Galway will have too much for Dublin when they meet and will progress to the final where I believe they will have to play Kilkenny yet again.
I think Wexford will feel the Cats claws in Wexford Park, Davy or no Davy.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 21/04/2017 17:42:40    1981534

Link

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "I think Galway could win the all Ireland this year. Whether it's through the front door or back door i don't know. Remember how close the semi finals were last year, it might well have been a Galway Waterford final. I think if Wexford do meet Kilkenny it will be a very close game. Galway will make the Leinster final anyway. Im afraid Dublin are not up to the required level at the moment. Not enough good handy forwards to get us the scores and, with the exception of o donnell, a poor full back line."
I will be very surprised if your prediction comes true. I wouldnt consider myself a pessimist by any means but If we play Tipp, Waterford, Kilkenny, or even Clare in the championship I think we're likely to come out on the wrong end of the result. I'll take you on your word about Dublin but I wouldn't be very confident about getting past them next month either.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1903 - 21/04/2017 17:56:00    1981537

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "I will be very surprised if your prediction comes true. I wouldnt consider myself a pessimist by any means but If we play Tipp, Waterford, Kilkenny, or even Clare in the championship I think we're likely to come out on the wrong end of the result. I'll take you on your word about Dublin but I wouldn't be very confident about getting past them next month either."
I fancy Galway for the all Ireland, think ye have a super man in charge and he will fully find his feet this year. Big year for Galway, league Lenister and all Ireland champions.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 21/04/2017 20:16:07    1981562

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "I fancy Galway for the all Ireland, think ye have a super man in charge and he will fully find his feet this year. Big year for Galway, league Lenister and all Ireland champions."
I sense a bit of sarcisim here.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 21/04/2017 20:50:08    1981568

Link

Replying To bud14:  "I sense a bit of sarcisim here."
No no I do think it. Just look at how close ye have been the last few years. 1 pint defeat last year to Tipp and big Joe missing for second half.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 21/04/2017 21:13:00    1981572

Link

I'd fancy Galway for an all Ireland too but hopefully not at our expense if we meet in the final. I'm more confident we'd beat Kilkenny in a final than Galway and that includes a league final!!
Tons of talent and one of the best back room teams in Galway for years.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 22/04/2017 11:52:17    1981640

Link