National Forum

Christy Ring 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just a couple of pointers, Carlow hurling is still in recovery, antrim have recovered and will be hard stopped up to the qf stage, kevin ryan has left an impression on antrim hurling.
A big performance against mayo is a must, a win is no good on its own.
Kildare are now the dark horses and are in with a shout.
Leaving Carlow aside, Down are capable of winning any of those games, that's why a tight win against mayo is not enough Carlow must win with some to spare to bolster confidence for other games down the line.
Down can take antrim, Kildare can take Wicklow, Carlow can take mayo but must apply a bit more tenacity.
On the Carlow/Antrim game I thought it was too open free flowing stuff almost, 47 scores in total almost a score every 2 minutes over the entire game including extra time.
Denis Murphy scored 0-16 for Carlow which was magnificent and great credit to him, but if you subtract that 0-16 from carlow's total score it means the rest of the team only scored 2-06.
Neil McManus scored 1-13 for antrim which was equally magnificent and great credit to him as well, but if you subtract that 1-13 from antrims total score it means the rest of the team only scored 2-07, I think both Kildare and down are capable of closing down one man shows like Mc Manus and Murphy.
We may very well see a couple of upset's and a couple of disappointments in the remaining games. Well done to antrim with their win and commiserations to the gallant Carlow lads.

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 293 - 23/04/2017 21:20:59    1981988

Link

Replying To extranjero:  "Haha! yeah MLR and St Mullins have fairly dominated the last few years, hard to see anyone else coming out on top in Carlow at the moment.
Always a shame to see teams withdraw from championships, especially from senior level, what forced Naomh Brid out? Will they be allowed regroup in intermediate or be forced down to junior?
Hard luck yet again against Antrim aswell, you never know though, maybe ye'll meet them again this year and 3rd time lucky!"
Nothing forced naomh brid out my friend, just rebuilding shall we say.

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 293 - 23/04/2017 21:35:47    1981994

Link

Replying To Scallioneater:  "Just a couple of pointers, Carlow hurling is still in recovery, antrim have recovered and will be hard stopped up to the qf stage, kevin ryan has left an impression on antrim hurling.
A big performance against mayo is a must, a win is no good on its own.
Kildare are now the dark horses and are in with a shout.
Leaving Carlow aside, Down are capable of winning any of those games, that's why a tight win against mayo is not enough Carlow must win with some to spare to bolster confidence for other games down the line.
Down can take antrim, Kildare can take Wicklow, Carlow can take mayo but must apply a bit more tenacity.
On the Carlow/Antrim game I thought it was too open free flowing stuff almost, 47 scores in total almost a score every 2 minutes over the entire game including extra time.
Denis Murphy scored 0-16 for Carlow which was magnificent and great credit to him, but if you subtract that 0-16 from carlow's total score it means the rest of the team only scored 2-06.
Neil McManus scored 1-13 for antrim which was equally magnificent and great credit to him as well, but if you subtract that 1-13 from antrims total score it means the rest of the team only scored 2-07, I think both Kildare and down are capable of closing down one man shows like Mc Manus and Murphy.
We may very well see a couple of upset's and a couple of disappointments in the remaining games. Well done to antrim with their win and commiserations to the gallant Carlow lads."
Scallioneater - I wouldn't go so far as to say we have recovered. We are 'work in progress' with a fair bit to do to get back to close to the top table. There is little between our 2 teams but we would have lost yesterday's match with last year's set up and attitude. So, we are happy with where we are.

I think it unfair to say that Murphy and Mc Manus make us both 'Onemanshows'. We certainly have a few other match winners, as was shown in our league form. Down will be aware of this given that we play against the Down teams in the Antrim leagues. I am also sure that Kildare will not take you for a one man team, which you certainly are not.

Looking forward to a potential third instalment.

Glensboy (Antrim) - Posts: 286 - 23/04/2017 21:38:57    1981997

Link

Replying To Glensboy:  "Scallioneater - I wouldn't go so far as to say we have recovered. We are 'work in progress' with a fair bit to do to get back to close to the top table. There is little between our 2 teams but we would have lost yesterday's match with last year's set up and attitude. So, we are happy with where we are.

I think it unfair to say that Murphy and Mc Manus make us both 'Onemanshows'. We certainly have a few other match winners, as was shown in our league form. Down will be aware of this given that we play against the Down teams in the Antrim leagues. I am also sure that Kildare will not take you for a one man team, which you certainly are not.

Looking forward to a potential third instalment."
Lads another meeting would be the 4th game this year

bumpernut (Antrim) - Posts: 1852 - 24/04/2017 00:02:03    1982035

Link

Antrim have 25 clubs. should be doing better

christy sting (Derry) - Posts: 262 - 24/04/2017 00:09:54    1982038

Link

The biggest obstacles in Antrim hurling are still in fighting, petty jealousies and backstabbing. This rubs off on the senior county players who when they take the field are often playing for a divided county and who on many occasions find themselves with little leadership and direction. This definitely affects their confidence and performance. I recall a family friend from Cork, up on holiday in the Glens a few years back, who was/is big in Rebel County hurling. He took in a few senior Antrim County Club Championship games, couldn't believe the talent and ability on display and shook his head in disbelief at the state of the senior county team.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9697 - 24/04/2017 01:00:58    1982044

Link

it is so stupid that this is a knock out championship,it does nothing to promote hurling in half of these counties if it is just for 1 game.surely a group of 4 would work for this tournament somehow?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 24/04/2017 08:42:06    1982068

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "it is so stupid that this is a knock out championship,it does nothing to promote hurling in half of these counties if it is just for 1 game.surely a group of 4 would work for this tournament somehow?"
Its at least two matches, if you are beaten in the first match you go into a play off against another team that has lost. I would agree with you that the teams need more matches, County boards would probably pull their hair out as this would add more cost!

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 346 - 24/04/2017 09:43:17    1982096

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "The biggest obstacles in Antrim hurling are still in fighting, petty jealousies and backstabbing. This rubs off on the senior county players who when they take the field are often playing for a divided county and who on many occasions find themselves with little leadership and direction. This definitely affects their confidence and performance. I recall a family friend from Cork, up on holiday in the Glens a few years back, who was/is big in Rebel County hurling. He took in a few senior Antrim County Club Championship games, couldn't believe the talent and ability on display and shook his head in disbelief at the state of the senior county team."
Ulsterman - Your friend from Cork might also have been shaking his head in the direction of his own County.

Glensboy (Antrim) - Posts: 286 - 24/04/2017 10:04:45    1982109

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "it is so stupid that this is a knock out championship,it does nothing to promote hurling in half of these counties if it is just for 1 game.surely a group of 4 would work for this tournament somehow?"
Each county gets at least 3 games so its not a bad system.

The 2 teams that lose their first 2 matches play a ply off to stay in the ring cup.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1517 - 24/04/2017 11:45:04    1982153

Link

Replying To Glensboy:  "Scallioneater - I wouldn't go so far as to say we have recovered. We are 'work in progress' with a fair bit to do to get back to close to the top table. There is little between our 2 teams but we would have lost yesterday's match with last year's set up and attitude. So, we are happy with where we are.

Looking forward to a potential third instalment."
You mean the 4th installment !!

2 draws and a win for your lads.

Great to see Antrim back on track. Both teams are much improved on
last year and Saturdays game was much higher standard than the league
outing in Carlow. (or the muckfest in Newry)

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1517 - 24/04/2017 13:31:18    1982204

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "You mean the 4th installment !!

outing in Carlow. (or the muckfest in Newry)"
Of course, a potential 4th instalment. However, we take nothing for granted up here! Lots of work to do in the meantime.

We have a fairly competitive league up here, and with the county's progress, which we are all glad to see, the club scene certainly suffers.
Shame really, but no easy answer.

Yes, both teams improving with game time and a better sod.

Glensboy (Antrim) - Posts: 286 - 24/04/2017 14:58:11    1982238

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "You mean the 4th installment !!

outing in Carlow. (or the muckfest in Newry)"
Don't Antrim have 2 wins and a draw? Won the 2A final and the Christy Ring game and drew the league match in Carlow.

M Lyster (Antrim) - Posts: 461 - 24/04/2017 17:08:52    1982286

Link

Only two Antrim players, and No Carlow player on hurling team of the week, from a game that got rave reviews, end to end stuff, high scoring (5-42) at the end of extra time. KCLR gave me enough info, to suggest that a Carlow lad, what's his name, I think it is Murphy, but he only scored 0-16, KCLR must have got his tally wrong, but they kept saying he gave a man of the match performance with his tally of 0-16, I'll check that score again. - - - - the mind boggles.?????
The mind boggles even more when you look at the Galway - Tipp. Result, Galway won it in a canter, the game was over by all accounts after 15 mins, 3-21 to tipp's 0-14, no Galway player broke out in a sweat, or had to, some say it looked like a bad challenge match, yet they got, wait for it, 6 on the hurling team of the week., all I can say is well done Simon McCrory (Antrim) Neil McManus (Antrim) but my heart goes out to you Denis Murphy at least, (Carlow)
Sorry, but I just had to get it off my chest, no offence meant to anyone, and/or all that is sport, other than that, that's the way I see it.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 24/04/2017 18:09:29    1982309

Link

The. Christy Ring should be expanded and made into a bigger competition. In my opinion, the teams playing in the Leinster round robin should also be playing in it or have the option of playing in it. Westmeath, Carlow, Kerry, and Laois in my opinion are not much ahead of the current main contenders for the Christy Ring and if they could play in it too it would make it a more difficult competition to win and boost its prestige. All those extra games would bring on the round robin teams even more and raise the challenge, and hopefully the standard, for the current Christy Ring teams as well. It would mean changing the calendar for the completion and playing it later into the summer alongside the later stages of the McCarthy Cup which in itself would improve the profile of it --- it would be great for instance if the final could be played alongside an All Ireland hurling semi final at the very least..
Another idea would be to create a separate competition altogether..have the semi finalists in the Christy Ring play the round robin teams (when the round robin is completed) in a further competition and call it, say, the "Henry Shefflin" and play it alongside the latter stages of the McCarthy Cup. Maybe what I'm saying here is the kind of mad idea that someone posting at 5am would come up with but just think the more games team at this level play the better it is for them.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1902 - 25/04/2017 05:06:46    1982401

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "The. Christy Ring should be expanded and made into a bigger competition. In my opinion, the teams playing in the Leinster round robin should also be playing in it or have the option of playing in it. Westmeath, Carlow, Kerry, and Laois in my opinion are not much ahead of the current main contenders for the Christy Ring and if they could play in it too it would make it a more difficult competition to win and boost its prestige. All those extra games would bring on the round robin teams even more and raise the challenge, and hopefully the standard, for the current Christy Ring teams as well. It would mean changing the calendar for the completion and playing it later into the summer alongside the later stages of the McCarthy Cup which in itself would improve the profile of it --- it would be great for instance if the final could be played alongside an All Ireland hurling semi final at the very least..
Another idea would be to create a separate competition altogether..have the semi finalists in the Christy Ring play the round robin teams (when the round robin is completed) in a further competition and call it, say, the "Henry Shefflin" and play it alongside the latter stages of the McCarthy Cup. Maybe what I'm saying here is the kind of mad idea that someone posting at 5am would come up with but just think the more games team at this level play the better it is for them."
This may come as a bit of a surprise to you poolSturgeon, but there's actually club hurling in these counties as well as the "traditional" counties so these elongated championships may be in hindrance in the long term.

But yes, the CR, Nicky Rackard and so forth really should be played before the AI semi-finals as was initially intended.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2503 - 25/04/2017 10:39:55    1982463

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Only two Antrim players, and No Carlow player on hurling team of the week, from a game that got rave reviews, end to end stuff, high scoring (5-42) at the end of extra time. KCLR gave me enough info, to suggest that a Carlow lad, what's his name, I think it is Murphy, but he only scored 0-16, KCLR must have got his tally wrong, but they kept saying he gave a man of the match performance with his tally of 0-16, I'll check that score again. - - - - the mind boggles.?????
The mind boggles even more when you look at the Galway - Tipp. Result, Galway won it in a canter, the game was over by all accounts after 15 mins, 3-21 to tipp's 0-14, no Galway player broke out in a sweat, or had to, some say it looked like a bad challenge match, yet they got, wait for it, 6 on the hurling team of the week., all I can say is well done Simon McCrory (Antrim) Neil McManus (Antrim) but my heart goes out to you Denis Murphy at least, (Carlow)
Sorry, but I just had to get it off my chest, no offence meant to anyone, and/or all that is sport, other than that, that's the way I see it."
I wasn't at the match but the KCLR coverage was brilliant if not a bit bias. From those that did attend who I was talking to, suggested that Carlow were the better team with their handling of the ball and quick passing mentioned a number of times. I cant say that I ever get too worked up about the Team of the Week, but delighted to see in one of the newspapers that a player from the Donegal team was named among the bigger guns.

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 346 - 25/04/2017 10:55:10    1982468

Link

In a lot of peoples view Antrim are favourites to reach the Christy Ring Cup final and that's fine, the second favourite to pair with Antrim is one of three, Carlow, Kildare and Down, from what I hear Carlow is going into Saturdays game with their fair share of problems/Injuries that's why I'm not giving them the second favourites tag outright.
0-01 Separated Wicklow and London, Kildare and Mayo but Down had a very convincing win over Roscommon, out of that I feel Down are dark horses with Kildare a shade darker.

There may very well be one or two upset's on Saturday c/w with one or two disappointments.
Hurling team of the week should be interesting, - - - for those of course that take it serious that is.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 26/04/2017 22:18:21    1983027

Link

0-01 Separated Wicklow and London, Kildare and Mayo. - - - Sorry but I omitted the 0-01 at the begenning of the line.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 26/04/2017 22:23:42    1983030

Link

Antrim will be without Neil McManus for Saturday's Christy Ring Cup quarter-final against Down as their talismanic attacker is getting married.
Great news for us.

tippdown (Down) - Posts: 38 - 27/04/2017 11:37:30    1983096

Link