National Forum

Do Dublin play 2 home games in the super 8s?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just asking a serious question as can't really find any info on the topic ,it says each team will play 1 home game 1 away game and 1 game at croke park but because croke park is basically their home ground it must mean they play twice in croker ?
Seems bit unfair if that's the case but suppose dubs usually get advantages anyway

Galwayjoe86 (Galway) - Posts: 258 - 22/09/2017 23:20:55    2049478

Link

Replying To Galwayjoe86:  "Just asking a serious question as can't really find any info on the topic ,it says each team will play 1 home game 1 away game and 1 game at croke park but because croke park is basically their home ground it must mean they play twice in croker ?
Seems bit unfair if that's the case but suppose dubs usually get advantages anyway"
From what ive seen that looks like the way its gonna be

NaomhNaille (Donegal) - Posts: 124 - 23/09/2017 09:03:42    2049504

Link

It'll be interesting how the decide whon plays who and where, like will it be an open draw or done on suitability of venue?

lillyboy (Kildare) - Posts: 429 - 23/09/2017 09:08:23    2049506

Link

Replying To Galwayjoe86:  "Just asking a serious question as can't really find any info on the topic ,it says each team will play 1 home game 1 away game and 1 game at croke park but because croke park is basically their home ground it must mean they play twice in croker ?
Seems bit unfair if that's the case but suppose dubs usually get advantages anyway"
I haven't seen anything to say this wont be the case.

Think its unfair myself, other counties should have an option of playing at neutral venue if they so wish in my opinion. Would love a spin down to park ui chaoimh or somewhere myself.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 23/09/2017 09:42:00    2049514

Link

Yep, Dublin will get 2 games in Croke Park.

It's less of an advantage to now though where they play their quarterfinal there anyway.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4217 - 23/09/2017 09:44:32    2049516

Link

Dublin wont get any games in their home ground of Parnell Park unfortunately.

dubshurling7 (Dublin) - Posts: 1017 - 23/09/2017 10:12:36    2049523

Link

Replying To lillyboy:  "It'll be interesting how the decide whon plays who and where, like will it be an open draw or done on suitability of venue?"
I believe this is how it's due to work:

Week 1 Croke Park double header between Provincial champions in each group.

Week 2 Croke Park double header between Qualifiers in each group.

Week 3 No football

Week 4 Round 2 in both groups home/away basis

Week 5 Round 3 in both groups home/away basis

Week 6 No football

Week 7 both Semifinals at Croke Park

There are good things about this system. Regular matches. Games get played around the country. More exciting Croke Park matches.

I think if we could get a system in place where the other counties are also playing later into the summer we'd be on to a proper winner.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4217 - 23/09/2017 10:49:50    2049532

Link

If a counties home ground is not suitable then they should be able to nominate a different venue (other than croke park) instead. Each team should only get a maximum of 1 game in croke park

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1278 - 23/09/2017 10:50:42    2049533

Link

The solution is simple. Dublin's "croke park" game should count as their home game, and on their home weekend, that game should be at a neutral venue. That way everyone gets one home, one away, and one neutral game. Fairness all round. It's unacceptable to call Croker a neutral venue when the dubs play all home games there

galwaydublin (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 23/09/2017 11:21:54    2049543

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "I believe this is how it's due to work:

Week 3 No football

Week 6 No football

There are good things about this system. Regular matches. Games get played around the country. More exciting Croke Park matches.

I think if we could get a system in place where the other counties are also playing later into the summer we'd be on to a proper winner."
So are both semifinals on the same weekend so whammo86 ?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 23/09/2017 12:05:01    2049549

Link

Replying To galwaydublin:  "The solution is simple. Dublin's "croke park" game should count as their home game, and on their home weekend, that game should be at a neutral venue. That way everyone gets one home, one away, and one neutral game. Fairness all round. It's unacceptable to call Croker a neutral venue when the dubs play all home games there"
Not going to happen. Reason...gate and money. GAA are not going to lose out between fairness and cash.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 23/09/2017 12:23:31    2049554

Link

Dublin is one county out of 32.

Surely it can't be that hard for various county boards to sort this out.

Although as we've seen in Leinster for some reason they sometimes can't pull it off.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13707 - 23/09/2017 12:30:57    2049555

Link

The good teams love to play in Croke Park. The best football is played in Croke Park.
Croke Park will accommodate the fans, refer to the big attendances this year.
Imagine playing a big game in Salthill.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 598 - 23/09/2017 12:37:36    2049557

Link

Replying To 890202:  "If a counties home ground is not suitable then they should be able to nominate a different venue (other than croke park) instead. Each team should only get a maximum of 1 game in croke park"
Every team who reaches the last 8 will want a game in Croke Park, that cant happen unless Dublins neutral game is played there. There was a big outcry after the first year of the qualifiers because Roscommon won Connacht but never got to play in Croke Park. There is no pleasing some people.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 23/09/2017 12:38:25    2049558

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "I believe this is how it's due to work:

Week 3 No football

Week 6 No football

I think if we could get a system in place where the other counties are also playing later into the summer we'd be on to a proper winner."
http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/41/92/FootballRevisionProposalA4SPREADSSCpdf_English.pdf

Sorry I got that wrong. I was working off memory and thought that there were break weeks for all the teams. Acorrding to the guideline calendar in the above a team going through the qualifiers will have to play 4 weeks in a row if they make it to the semifinals.

The semifinals will be on the same weekend.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4217 - 23/09/2017 12:44:47    2049561

Link

Replying To dubshurling7:  "Dublin wont get any games in their home ground of Parnell Park unfortunately."
Officially Parnell is their home ground buy can't really say that when they play more in croke park I'm not having a go at Dublin I have no problem with them playing in croke park a lot but with the new super 8s they should be made play 1 game in croker like the rest of the teams and 1 away and 1 in a neutral venue outside of Dublin ,if every county are traveling all over the country twice then the dubs should have to do the same ,dubs in croker equals more money for the gaa but fair is fair everything should be even for all competing counties under this new structure

Galwayjoe86 (Galway) - Posts: 258 - 23/09/2017 13:19:29    2049573

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/41/92/FootballRevisionProposalA4SPREADSSCpdf_English.pdf

Sorry I got that wrong. I was working off memory and thought that there were break weeks for all the teams. Acorrding to the guideline calendar in the above a team going through the qualifiers will have to play 4 weeks in a row if they make it to the semifinals.

The semifinals will be on the same weekend."
Thanks whammo.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 23/09/2017 15:49:01    2049619

Link

It's no less fair than the current system. That home advantage is probably worth a couple of points per game to Dublin but unless we move croke park there is no point complaining.

All the teams that make it through will want to play in Croker, and to be fair I think the Dubs would love more big games on the road themselves. The league game in Tralee in march was epic for example, imagine what it'd be like if it was a meaningful championship game.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2105 - 23/09/2017 15:59:45    2049623

Link

Would it make any difference lol....

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2837 - 23/09/2017 16:19:10    2049629

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "I haven't seen anything to say this wont be the case.

Think its unfair myself, other counties should have an option of playing at neutral venue if they so wish in my opinion. Would love a spin down to park ui chaoimh or somewhere myself."
Username
You say that you would love a spin down to x,y,z. That's ok because the dubs haven't had to do it and the dubs would most likely win. If you have been traveling for 40 years you may change your mind. Missing out on family time, expense, work, you may change your mind very quickly. I wouldn't change it for the world but it can be a massive pain. I would love to be able to hop on the train or bus and be home in 15 mins. I know some Dubs on here live in other counties but most aren't too far from Croke park.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 23/09/2017 17:29:50    2049643

Link