National Forum

Game of the Year to date. Cork v Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cluichethar:  "Fair enough but all i asked was where he favored Mayo. I gave examples of where he favored Cork the biggest 1 been the Keegan incident. Also it's kinda what people do on here Has thing over. But what ever."
Listen man it's over now anyway. Good luck to yuz as you go forward. I've cheered on your team before and I'm sure I will again in the future.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 22/07/2017 21:39:55    2021191

Link

Replying To county man:  "Yes on current form they would, but Mayo have a habit of improving significantly when they get to Croke Park. Luckily you have avoided Kerry next Sunday as that would be too soon, but come the semi's I expect to see a different Mayo.

Unless of course Roscommon create another surprise next Sunday, it is hard to judge them on one game though."
Roscommon shouldn't come as any surprize. They handled Galway easily and looked good doing it. No panic just got the job done

cluichethar (Mayo) - Posts: 454 - 22/07/2017 21:41:10    2021193

Link

Heard it was 2 mins extra time that was shown not 3 as sky said, Mayo management threw that victory away, 5 or 6 points up with 28 mins to go and they took off Barrett, then Boyle and Seamie O'Shea with over 20 mins to go then shortly after Keegan black carded meant we lost our 3 half backs and 1 midfielder, 3 of those 4 were caused by daft decisions by management, what the hell were they thinking, if you want to bring on subs spread them around and if they are playing well don't change until result is guaranteed and less than 10 mins to go, the substitutions opened up the flood gates and Cork rattled off 1-02 without reply bringing it back to a 1 point game, Mayo got 2 more points then Cork get another goal to level it, when they brought Barrett back on for extra time it showed they got the changes wrong, if we can see the problems week in week out what are the management watching, definitely isn't the performance of the players or the management tactics. The heart missed a few beats during that game, the same happened v Derry, Cork played well, we all felt they had to show some heart after a poor Munster championship and that's what they did this evening, sad to hear Peadar Healy resigning after the game

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 22/07/2017 21:42:58    2021197

Link

It a real pity that so few people saw this match. Like the Kilkenny waterford game last weekend where only 26k people watched it on tv. If this game had similar viewing figures and adding in the the 13k at the game that only leaves less then 40k who would have seen the game. The gaa seem to forget that there main aim should be promoting the games not sticking serious games on a channel so few see.

ros1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 1211 - 22/07/2017 22:11:10    2021227

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Heard it was 2 mins extra time that was shown not 3 as sky said, Mayo management threw that victory away, 5 or 6 points up with 28 mins to go and they took off Barrett, then Boyle and Seamie O'Shea with over 20 mins to go then shortly after Keegan black carded meant we lost our 3 half backs and 1 midfielder, 3 of those 4 were caused by daft decisions by management, what the hell were they thinking, if you want to bring on subs spread them around and if they are playing well don't change until result is guaranteed and less than 10 mins to go, the substitutions opened up the flood gates and Cork rattled off 1-02 without reply bringing it back to a 1 point game, Mayo got 2 more points then Cork get another goal to level it, when they brought Barrett back on for extra time it showed they got the changes wrong, if we can see the problems week in week out what are the management watching, definitely isn't the performance of the players or the management tactics. The heart missed a few beats during that game, the same happened v Derry, Cork played well, we all felt they had to show some heart after a poor Munster championship and that's what they did this evening, sad to hear Peadar Healy resigning after the game"
That Keegan lad still dragging lads down? :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 22/07/2017 22:26:53    2021237

Link

Old habits die hard ;)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 22/07/2017 22:32:49    2021241

Link

Replying To cluichethar:  "Wrong number was displayed would be my guess as to the excuse"
I think when cafferky was coming off he put up the number 3 and that's where the confusion was. I could be wrong but looking back on it now I think that's what could have happened.

nextyear (Mayo) - Posts: 60 - 22/07/2017 22:42:55    2021255

Link

Replying To realdub:  "That Keegan lad still dragging lads down? :D"
Nothing from you about the fact he was the 1 pulled back by the shirt. Looked like the ref seen it and done nothing. 1 of the few mistakes he made today

cluichethar (Mayo) - Posts: 454 - 22/07/2017 23:02:15    2021289

Link

what a game - a privilage to be there - a brilliant game and an absolutely incredible atmosphere , this was proper cuthroat stuff intensity skill , it had it al really enjoyed this one , anybody who thinks gaelic grounds cant hold big games - nonsense, amazing mayo support to travel that far, fantastic performances from powter and cillian oconnor and andy moran - weird sensation on pitch after game with my kids playin football and not hurling, it was so good i was hoping for a draw so that we would have both teams back here next week,

bear in mind the last county football game i was at was limerick v wexford in front of about 600.

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 23/07/2017 01:42:19    2021391

Link

Replying To cluichethar:  "Nothing from you about the fact he was the 1 pulled back by the shirt. Looked like the ref seen it and done nothing. 1 of the few mistakes he made today"
Didn't see the game yet lad, that's why I was asking you :D
I'm pulling the Mayo leg man, relax!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 23/07/2017 02:59:58    2021412

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "As I said I couldn't care less who won. And I'm not goin to spend my evening hashing out the whole game and every call given for or against each team. . I'm sure you've had the same feeling in the past in games were Mayo didn't come out on top. I know as a Tyrone fan I certainly have. It's just a gut feeling that on the whole one team had more sympathy from the ref than the other. I'm a Tyrone man. Ask the Cork people if you want a real passionate debate about it! Ask Eoin Cadogan and the other Cork players who very visible irate and on the other hand ask the Mayo lads why they seemed unfazed until the end about most of the refs calls."
The last time we played in Limerick would be about right.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 23/07/2017 13:10:55    2021661

Link

Replying To Spoddgy:  "The last time we played in Limerick would be about right."
as someone at that game felt yee could have no complaints, certain players got away with murder, never quite understood why certain people mayo fans felt robbed or hard done by

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 23/07/2017 23:22:42    2022155

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "what a game - a privilage to be there - a brilliant game and an absolutely incredible atmosphere , this was proper cuthroat stuff intensity skill , it had it al really enjoyed this one , anybody who thinks gaelic grounds cant hold big games - nonsense, amazing mayo support to travel that far, fantastic performances from powter and cillian oconnor and andy moran - weird sensation on pitch after game with my kids playin football and not hurling, it was so good i was hoping for a draw so that we would have both teams back here next week,

bear in mind the last county football game i was at was limerick v wexford in front of about 600."
good to see cork showing some signs of life, the football championship needs them

alano12 (Dublin) - Posts: 2208 - 23/07/2017 23:23:25    2022156

Link

Replying To realdub:  "That Keegan lad still dragging lads down? :D"
That's a bit rich coming from a Dub- ye are the experts at dragging, as are most successful teams - good enough to be able to do it and pull the wool over the eyes of our gullible refs.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 24/07/2017 01:56:20    2022201

Link

Replying To browncows:  "That's a bit rich coming from a Dub- ye are the experts at dragging, as are most successful teams - good enough to be able to do it and pull the wool over the eyes of our gullible refs."
if you can't tell that real dub was taking the Michael then I worry for you...

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 24/07/2017 10:37:43    2022331

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "if you can't tell that real dub was taking the Michael then I worry for you..."
Thank you Wayne

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 24/07/2017 11:05:53    2022375

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Another really brilliant championship game.

Cork deserve a lot of credit, many teams would have just lay down and died at 7 down early in the second half, they've taken some serious stick recently but you cant say they are lacking bottle or heart today.

Mayo ?? even if they win through here I just cant see them beating a Kerry and Dublin/Tyrone. Cork have been brilliant in the second half going forward but a Dublin/Kerry would absolutely blow this mayo defence out of the water. So reliant on COC and Andy Moran"
Agree great game, Mayo were probably a bit lucky but going forward would be a greater threat to the Dubs/Tyrone/Kerry than Cork would have been. Still think Mayo are capable of knocking any of those 3 teams out on a good day, the unfortunate thing for them though is that I can't see them doing it twice. Fair play to their long suffering supporters they certainly travel well, polar opposite to the Cork football fans.

AthboyCelt (Meath) - Posts: 147 - 24/07/2017 11:49:00    2022433

Link

Hard to know what way to look at the result of this game from the Mayo perspective.

Lets get the bad out of the way first. At 7 points up, they should have cruised home, as Tomas O'Se said last night, it was a little naive of Rochford to take off some of the bigger names (albeit losing Keegan to a black card wasn't part of the plan) when the game was still there to be won. Defensively, Mayo have returned to mismatches and sloppy concentration at crucial times. Cork scored 2 goals and could easily have had more. The system they had in place from last year, that proved so hard to break down for Dublin looks gone. All these games are taking their toll on the squad too, they can't keep this up forever. A lot of Mayo scores are still coming from hard work and grind, they don't seem to have enough guile up front to work easier scores.

On the good side, Mayo did show much better accuracy in front of the posts this time around. Yeah they're still fairly reliant on Moran and COC for scores but other players are picking up form as the championship continues. It's about time people started giving AOS credit, the guy has put in some solid performances and taken hits this season. I know some will say lets wait and see him do it against the likes of Dublin and Kerry but for now I think the lad is flying and really standing up for his team. When Mayo do play direct, they're as good as anyone, their half back line pouring forward can do some serious damage. The teams fitness is a credit to them, they have gone the distance twice in extra time this season and twice been the fitter team. In that regard, they can go the distance with any of the other big names.

I do think their fitness is getting them off the hook with some of the opposition they've played so far and I think that will continue with Roscommon. That being said, McStay has Roscommon playing a very smart brand of football in keeping possession as they showed against Galway. This could prove tough for Mayo if Roscommon get any lead late in the game. However, I think it remains to be seen if Roscommon can do this at Croke park on the bigger stage, Mayo have more experience in that regard and along with the form they've picked up in their games I'm expecting them to be getting through to the semi's

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 24/07/2017 12:18:28    2022471

Link

A wonderful game

oricelt (USA) - Posts: 207 - 24/07/2017 20:39:41    2022806

Link

While a might be a bit bias here it's fair to say that Mayo have provided most of the memorable games in the championship over the past 6 years.
2011 v Cork
2012 v Dublin
2013 v Dublin
2014 v Kerry (twice)
2015 v Dublin (twice)
2016 v Dudlin (twice)
2017 v Cork

The only matches that rival those for excitement are Kerry v Dublin in 2011, 2013 and 2016

tirawleybaron (Mayo) - Posts: 1105 - 26/07/2017 06:00:33    2023619

Link