National Forum

RTE pundits

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/40079442

Just compare this insightful, measured and articulate analysis on BBC compared to the drivel we have to listen to on RTE.

When are we going to get rid of Spillane and O'Rourke?

Wally (Tyrone) - Posts: 912 - 28/05/2017 17:36:03    1991504

Link

Replying To Wally:  "http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/40079442

Just compare this insightful, measured and articulate analysis on BBC compared to the drivel we have to listen to on RTE.

When are we going to get rid of Spillane and O'Rourke?"
100 times better than sky anyway. That ad would put people off the GAA

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 28/05/2017 17:38:22    1991505

Link

And in all fairness Joe Brolly needs to go too. The guy is always looking for a bare even when there is none. His accent gets thicker every year..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 28/05/2017 17:51:00    1991512

Link

Yes I watched the Derry v Tyrone match on the BBc. They are knowledgable about the players and the game and analyse the game. Yes thet had a discussion about the state of the game but it is an adult discussion not the drivel that passes for analysis on RTE. Last week I went out of the room at half-time as I couldn't bear to watch or listen to Brolly.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 28/05/2017 17:53:08    1991515

Link

Spillane doesn't think about what he's gonna say! Spent 2 minutes ranting about how Tyrone only had 1 forward score from play in the first half then a few minutes later said that Derry sitting so deep just invited the Tyrone backs and midfield up the field to kick handy scores.

The 2 lads fire out meaningless and irrelevant stats rather than actually analysing the game in front if them and using the stats to support a well structured analysis.

Spillane lambasted Tyrones team selection of Donnelly and cavanagh in the full forward line then said Tyrone would win because Mickey Harte knew what he was doing. Which is it Pat?

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5010 - 28/05/2017 17:58:48    1991518

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "And in all fairness Joe Brolly needs to go too. The guy is always looking for a bare even when there is none. His accent gets thicker every year.."
At least he has a sense of humour unlike Statler and Waldorf.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7337 - 28/05/2017 18:04:53    1991523

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "At least he has a sense of humour unlike Statler and Waldorf."
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1551540824880358&id=111400652227723

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 28/05/2017 19:00:03    1991555

Link

They were bang on anyway at half time..it was a turkey of a game.not much analysis needed there..call a spade' a spade .terrible game.

GGdub (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 28/05/2017 19:03:16    1991557

Link

I think Spillane and O'Rourke are getting old...the older you get the more honest you become ,Ask any young person how are you keeping and they will do gymnastics with the English language and Facts...Ask a old person the same question they would tell a very important bit that was attached to my body turned green and fell off !

All the BBC and Sky pundits are doing is dressing torture up as fun !

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 875 - 28/05/2017 20:22:17    1991585

Link

Most of the football ones are arrogant. I like Whelan though, he looks like he actually bothered to do some research. The GPA boys reek of jobs for the boys which is fairly ironic.

Most of the hurling ones are good. Some of the newer ones are a bit annoying though.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 28/05/2017 20:29:46    1991591

Link

I like the TG4 analysis as it is witty and constructive without any negativity

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1667 - 28/05/2017 21:00:27    1991611

Link

Thank God the game was on BBC, I could not listen to Spilanne O'Rourke or Marty Morrissey in commentary, it's a pity the people down south can't see both to compare, Paddy Bradley and Oisin Mc Conville in studio and Martin Mc Hugh in co commentary. their knowledge of football and the local knowledge of Ulster football is brilliant, what is wrong with RTE? then again maybe it's only the rugby guys and english soccer that concerns them, seems that way from the sports news on RTE to me anyway.
Going to be a great match for us now with Tyrone as expected, should be a cracker.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2739 - 28/05/2017 21:04:08    1991614

Link

Replying To GGdub:  "They were bang on anyway at half time..it was a turkey of a game.not much analysis needed there..call a spade' a spade .terrible game."
That's like saying every game Dublin has played in Leinster in Donkeys years has been a dire affair. Derry brought themselves back into the game at the start of the second half. Ultimately Tyrone proved too good but you can hardly fault the better team for that.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 28/05/2017 21:05:39    1991615

Link

Replying To WhyTheLongFace:  "I think Spillane and O'Rourke are getting old...the older you get the more honest you become ,Ask any young person how are you keeping and they will do gymnastics with the English language and Facts...Ask a old person the same question they would tell a very important bit that was attached to my body turned green and fell off !

All the BBC and Sky pundits are doing is dressing torture up as fun !"
The older Spillane and O'Rourke get the more out of touch they are and more begrudging of the current young players.

I like Dessie Dolan. Not as experienced or sounding as self-assured as other analysts but he's on the money in what he says. An analyst doesn't need to have won an All Ireland to talk about the game. Not many question John Mullane's analysis.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7337 - 28/05/2017 21:09:05    1991618

Link

Replying To GGdub:  "They were bang on anyway at half time..it was a turkey of a game.not much analysis needed there..call a spade' a spade .terrible game."
I don't think anyone is disputing that it was a bad game.

That's does not excuse the horrible analysis that we have to sit through year after year.

When will RTE so something. Like if you just compare BBC to RTE it is so embarrassing. It is so amateurish and cringe worthy.

Wally (Tyrone) - Posts: 912 - 28/05/2017 21:45:18    1991633

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "The older Spillane and O'Rourke get the more out of touch they are and more begrudging of the current young players.

I like Dessie Dolan. Not as experienced or sounding as self-assured as other analysts but he's on the money in what he says. An analyst doesn't need to have won an All Ireland to talk about the game. Not many question John Mullane's analysis."
Agree with you that a pundit doesn't need an all Ireland but I don't like Dessie Dolan. I feel he is a real sit on the fence kinda of guy. Seems like a nice person but he's so unforgettable, wouldn't notice him if he was there are not. Doesn't say anything to upset the apple cart and will probably be there for the next 30 years. House wives favourite.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 28/05/2017 22:02:26    1991639

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Most of the football ones are arrogant. I like Whelan though, he looks like he actually bothered to do some research. The GPA boys reek of jobs for the boys which is fairly ironic.

Most of the hurling ones are good. Some of the newer ones are a bit annoying though."
Is that tongue in cheek ref Whelan - . Like Tomas O'Shea and Dolan. Not sure about Gooch yet but willing to give a chance.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 28/05/2017 22:29:40    1991656

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Agree with you that a pundit doesn't need an all Ireland but I don't like Dessie Dolan. I feel he is a real sit on the fence kinda of guy. Seems like a nice person but he's so unforgettable, wouldn't notice him if he was there are not. Doesn't say anything to upset the apple cart and will probably be there for the next 30 years. House wives favourite."
Surely you mean 'forgettable' there Fridge....

Whitey_Toppskin (Louth) - Posts: 64 - 28/05/2017 23:39:14    1991677

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "Thank God the game was on BBC, I could not listen to Spilanne O'Rourke or Marty Morrissey in commentary, it's a pity the people down south can't see both to compare, Paddy Bradley and Oisin Mc Conville in studio and Martin Mc Hugh in co commentary. their knowledge of football and the local knowledge of Ulster football is brilliant, what is wrong with RTE? then again maybe it's only the rugby guys and english soccer that concerns them, seems that way from the sports news on RTE to me anyway.
Going to be a great match for us now with Tyrone as expected, should be a cracker."
If Martin McHugh floats your boat you're welcome. If I said here what I thought of his analysis it probably wouldn't get printed!

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1902 - 28/05/2017 23:43:20    1991679

Link

I think it's time they maybe went down the Sky Sports route and get in "guest" analysts who have relevance/connections to both teams involved. For example:

Galway v Mayo: Maurice Sheridan (Played for Mayo, played club football with Salthill in Galway)

Cork v Kerry: Tomas O'Se ( Kerry legend, now playing club football in Cork)

Tyrone v Fermanagh: Peter Canavan (Tyrone legend, managed Fermanagh)

Just a thought....

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 497 - 28/05/2017 23:45:21    1991681

Link