National Forum

Failed drug test

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/intercounty-footballer-awaits-fate-over-failed-drugs-test-35763054.html

Yikes!

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 28/05/2017 11:10:55    1991373

Link

A non story. Ban has been served, accepted it was unintentional.

as_ky (Kerry) - Posts: 535 - 28/05/2017 11:44:49    1991380

Link

Replying To Jackeen:  "http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/intercounty-footballer-awaits-fate-over-failed-drugs-test-35763054.html

Yikes!"
"Failed drug test" is a bit of a misleading headline. They've already confirmed there was no intentional wrongdoing, be interesting to see what the reasons are. Didn't aidan omahoney have a similar story a few years back?

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5009 - 28/05/2017 11:55:25    1991386

Link

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0528/878472-kerry-footballer-fails/

Unintentional according to Kerry GAA and Sport Ireland.

The only issue I'd have with this is that it all happened well over a year ago with the judgement and suspension happening unbeknownst to the general public it seems.

I think transparency is very important when it comes to PEDs in sport.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13703 - 28/05/2017 11:57:51    1991387

Link

Replying To as_ky:  "A non story. Ban has been served, accepted it was unintentional."
In fairness I posted this before it became public knowledge who it was. I wonder what substance it was and why it took a year to surface.

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 28/05/2017 11:58:46    1991388

Link

Replying To as_ky:  "A non story. Ban has been served, accepted it was unintentional."
How is it a non-story? It's very rare that there's a failed drugs test in the gaa. So this was always going to be a story. It's wrong though that it has taken a year to come out. It's only come out now they are free to play again. Very worrying that there seems to be little transparency, even on the part of the authorities. It makes you wonder how many other failed drugs test we are not hearing about.

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 28/05/2017 13:11:51    1991408

Link

Replying To Jackeen:  "In fairness I posted this before it became public knowledge who it was. I wonder what substance it was and why it took a year to surface."
That's the big issue here why the secrecy? Why did it take over a year for this to come out?

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 944 - 28/05/2017 13:14:54    1991410

Link

Replying To jacktheDub:  "That's the big issue here why the secrecy? Why did it take over a year for this to come out?"
Yeah, there is something very odd going on here, how did he receive and serve a suspension without it becoming public knowledge? Did sport Ireland issue the ban? How was the suspension so short? (tested after last years league final, then process the sample, notify player and GAA, hearings etc.) and back for a few league games this year?
How long was the ban? When was he notified about it and when was the Kerry Co. Board notified about it.. What was the substance?
He can count himself lucky he's with Kerry, something stinks...

cuttothebone (Kildare) - Posts: 163 - 28/05/2017 13:58:33    1991419

Link

Yerra yerra

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12115 - 28/05/2017 14:40:13    1991429

Link

That is Kerry player number two to fail a drugs test, interesting....

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 28/05/2017 16:07:42    1991463

Link

If a lad did something unintentionally and served his ban, whose benefit is it for it to be made public. Unlike other sports, these lads have to hold down a job as well, no need to tarnish the lads name

as_ky (Kerry) - Posts: 535 - 28/05/2017 16:10:28    1991465

Link

I am totally against this charade "Oh what a clean sport we are now can we have the grants please!". These are amateuers they do not play for money, it was unintentional. The only financial gain is to the Sports doping authorities and their labs. Explain to me the advantage if any to be gained here? If the authorities were concerned about player welfare rather than the image of the sport I would at least try and support this rubbish. A mandatory ban of four years is outragous and the procedures so inflexible so secret it is medieval and archaic. Basically it is a disgrace to deprive people of natural justice, in effect a player has to prove his innocence. World wide doping has been shown to be corrupt, flawed, lack of transparency. The only reason the GAA signed up to this was for sporting grants and her we see an innocent person been punished an amateuer.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4893 - 28/05/2017 16:18:39    1991474

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "That is Kerry player number two to fail a drugs test, interesting...."
Oh yeah sure their all on something down here. Its DEFINITELY nothing as simple as something from an inhaler or anything.

How many All-Ireland's do you want the GAA to take off us for this outrage?

I mean I wouldn't expect anyone to wait until Sport Ireland have released their written statement or anything.

Considering Sport Ireland have already clearly stated the incident was unintentional you'd think the focus would be more on why this suddenly comes to light a year later and what this says about the GAA and its dopping policies - the lack of transparency, the secrecy etc etc.

But no, some of ye lads go on ahead and fling a bit of mud at a young amateur athlete and try and tarnish his reputation.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 28/05/2017 16:20:09    1991475

Link

Looks like it was completely unintentional

Lesson to be learned from it for all top level GAA players

Closely examine what you're putting into your bodies to avoid this sort of bad press

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20598 - 28/05/2017 16:40:06    1991482

Link

Nothing to see here, these lads are amateurs, it was unintentional, ban had been served, no drugs in the gaa, move on.......... What a load of b%ll%ck!

In February this case was pending according to the anti doping agency yet by today it is finalised and the ban has been served!! Yet the Anti doping agency has not yet delivered the written judgement........... Something smells and if the player is as innocent as everyone says all this secrecy etc does him no favours.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1825 - 28/05/2017 18:13:20    1991528

Link

Replying To as_ky:  "If a lad did something unintentionally and served his ban, whose benefit is it for it to be made public. Unlike other sports, these lads have to hold down a job as well, no need to tarnish the lads name"
All our athletes, rowers, boxers etc are amateurs..........

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1825 - 28/05/2017 18:15:27    1991530

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "All our athletes, rowers, boxers etc are amateurs.........."
Cyclists, Boxers and Athletes are one-on-one our solo performers whether they are amateuers are not is irrelevant. There are 15 players on a GAA team the advantage is miniscule and just moral window dressing and for that a player gets pilloried, 4 year ban and become a virtual outcast, ridiculous and dangerous way to treat people.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4893 - 28/05/2017 18:23:34    1991538

Link

anything that might allow players to train harder and recover quicker is unfair to other players and teams

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1890 - 28/05/2017 18:34:30    1991540

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Oh yeah sure their all on something down here. Its DEFINITELY nothing as simple as something from an inhaler or anything.

How many All-Ireland's do you want the GAA to take off us for this outrage?

I mean I wouldn't expect anyone to wait until Sport Ireland have released their written statement or anything.

Considering Sport Ireland have already clearly stated the incident was unintentional you'd think the focus would be more on why this suddenly comes to light a year later and what this says about the GAA and its dopping policies - the lack of transparency, the secrecy etc etc.

But no, some of ye lads go on ahead and fling a bit of mud at a young amateur athlete and try and tarnish his reputation."
First things first, this is the second Kerry player to fail a drugs test, not fiction or anything like that, it is a FACT.

Secondly, I find my it interesting that it is the second Kerry player to fail a drugs test and that is my OPINION. When O'Mahoney failed, I thought yeah, probably something harmless but for it to happen a second time is careless. As the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

Something needs to be done address this, Kerry, like everyone other team, has a big backroom team of doctors, nutritionists, physios, masseuses, performance consultants, manager, selectors, counsellors, weather consultants, psychics etc.. Surely between the lot of them one of them would be able to advise the players on what is a banned substance and what isn't. The players are big boys too and should take responsibility for what they are taking.

Next thing ye will be saying that eating food is more dangerous before driving a car than consuming alcohol, oh wait ye already said that. I don't maybe ye are all on drugs in the South West. It would explain an awful lot anyway.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 28/05/2017 19:14:42    1991560

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "First things first, this is the second Kerry player to fail a drugs test, not fiction or anything like that, it is a FACT.

Secondly, I find my it interesting that it is the second Kerry player to fail a drugs test and that is my OPINION. When O'Mahoney failed, I thought yeah, probably something harmless but for it to happen a second time is careless. As the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

Something needs to be done address this, Kerry, like everyone other team, has a big backroom team of doctors, nutritionists, physios, masseuses, performance consultants, manager, selectors, counsellors, weather consultants, psychics etc.. Surely between the lot of them one of them would be able to advise the players on what is a banned substance and what isn't. The players are big boys too and should take responsibility for what they are taking.

Next thing ye will be saying that eating food is more dangerous before driving a car than consuming alcohol, oh wait ye already said that. I don't maybe ye are all on drugs in the South West. It would explain an awful lot anyway."
Doesn't Michael Lowry regularly top the poll in your own back yard?

I wouldn't be referencing the Healy Rae's when you return fella's like that.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 28/05/2017 19:40:24    1991570

Link