National Forum

All Ireland U21 Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Score flatters Dublin I feel, we probably have 4 or 5 good players, one exceptional one who was well shepherded,

We've had better vintages, but will be competitive, plenty to work on and more silverware this year would be a surprise.

Congrats to Kerry, that's a great scalp for yee down south.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 29/03/2017 21:41:05    1972950

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Dublin were poor enough, Con was quiet and yet a handy win, I believe Cork were absolutely shite tonight also. You'd have to fancy Kerry or Donegal at this stage!"
LOL. Bottleneck of fixtures coming up for us. Speak for yourselves and the kingdom re fav tags. Hard to play poor mouth with 2 results like that tonight

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 29/03/2017 21:41:46    1972951

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Dublin were poor enough, Con was quiet and yet a handy win, I believe Cork were absolutely shite tonight also. You'd have to fancy Kerry or Donegal at this stage!"
If you haven't got Kerry blood in your veins realdub then I am a gay agrophobic who comes out, goes back in again, comes out goes back in again.....

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 29/03/2017 21:42:03    1972952

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "If you haven't got Kerry blood in your veins realdub then I am a gay agrophobic who comes out, goes back in again, comes out goes back in again....."
haha Muck & Donegalman, in all honesty I wasn't that impressed with us tonight, and less of the Kerry blood please, I have blue blood, nothing else, well not for 3 generations anyway :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 29/03/2017 21:59:27    1972960

Link

As I suspected cute hoorism was alive and well on here in build up to the Munster championship and final tonight. Some statement of intent from Kerry tonight and they are going to be very very hard to beat given the improvement they are showing game to game. Whoever comes out of Ulster will have their work cutout given the fixture pile up though from a Donegal perspective the extra time will allow some of the injured players more time to get back to fitness. But lets face it it is going to be very hard to stop Kerry now. The problem for Dublin after sauntering to another Leinster title tonight is that the step up in quality they will face from now on is a very big one and they could be caught cold. Whoever comes out of Ulster will be battle hardened and the other side of the draw looks especially strong now given tonights result and Galway's win at the weekend. In Leinster the main challengers were thought to be Meath and Kildare but both got knocked out early. I know Meath were missing players but having seen Westmeath play Dublin it is hard to believe they managed to lose that match given they had shown good form coming in. I found it very hard to gauge the Dubs that night so I think some of the comments here could be true. Westmeath were woeful on the night and I came away thinking Leinster football Dublin apart is in a very very sorry state.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2779 - 29/03/2017 22:12:51    1972966

Link

Replying To Cavan_Slasher:  "Are the Kerry posters getting carried away already?"
Howr we getting carried away buddy ?
We haven't won a Munster U21 in 9 years so of course we'l be happy, we could very well lose to Galway or Sligo in the next game so we'll enjoy tonight.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 29/03/2017 22:13:33    1972967

Link

Replying To Cavan_Slasher:  "Are the Kerry posters getting carried away already?"
No ones getting carried away laddy, plenty of good sides around to stop Kerry.

We're just celebrating a first Munster title since 08 with a great win over the old enemy in a venue we havnt done the business for 20 years. Cork have ruled the roost at this level for a good while and have sowed it into us on a few occasions during that time so we'll enjoy this for tonight.

An Riocht Abu

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 29/03/2017 22:26:50    1972970

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Score flatters Dublin I feel, we probably have 4 or 5 good players, one exceptional one who was well shepherded,

We've had better vintages, but will be competitive, plenty to work on and more silverware this year would be a surprise.

Congrats to Kerry, that's a great scalp for yee down south."
Great to win 4 in a row Leinster U21 titles for the first time.

Bit of a break for our lads now until we play the Ulster champions.

Kerry looking formidable though.
I see the Kerry conveyor belt is alive and well again. They will be the team to beat.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 3725 - 29/03/2017 22:55:12    1972979

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "As I suspected cute hoorism was alive and well on here in build up to the Munster championship and final tonight. Some statement of intent from Kerry tonight and they are going to be very very hard to beat given the improvement they are showing game to game. Whoever comes out of Ulster will have their work cutout given the fixture pile up though from a Donegal perspective the extra time will allow some of the injured players more time to get back to fitness. But lets face it it is going to be very hard to stop Kerry now. The problem for Dublin after sauntering to another Leinster title tonight is that the step up in quality they will face from now on is a very big one and they could be caught cold. Whoever comes out of Ulster will be battle hardened and the other side of the draw looks especially strong now given tonights result and Galway's win at the weekend. In Leinster the main challengers were thought to be Meath and Kildare but both got knocked out early. I know Meath were missing players but having seen Westmeath play Dublin it is hard to believe they managed to lose that match given they had shown good form coming in. I found it very hard to gauge the Dubs that night so I think some of the comments here could be true. Westmeath were woeful on the night and I came away thinking Leinster football Dublin apart is in a very very sorry state."
"The problem for Dublin after sauntering to another Leinster title tonight is that the step up in quality they will face from now on is a very big one and they could be caught cold."
A little harsh on our lads there I feel. To say they sauntered to it isn't fair.
This isn't the senior grade. I think you're judging it somewhat based on what you've seen in the Leinster senior championship for the last 8 or 9 years. The rest of Leinster have been far more competitive against Dublin at this grade in recent times. Offaly have been very competitive at underage level now for a few years. Last night too, Offaly gave a good account of themselves, especially in the first half. To go in double scores down at half-time was a bit hard on them. They mixed it very well with Dublin in the first half and but for a lack of clinical finishing and general efficiency, would have been right in it starting the 2nd half. Admittedly, Dublin pushed on and put the game to bed in the 2nd half. But overall, I thought the score flattered Dublin a little bit.

OffalyBigBall (Offaly) - Posts: 625 - 30/03/2017 08:57:32    1973015

Link

Kerry were very good apart from a slight spell when we went from 4-Nil to 4-3 where Cork looked very dangerous for about 10 mins.

After Kerry got the goal , Cork didn't want to know about it.
Cork played with 2 extra men back and they were lost puppies not knowing what to do with their positioning and Kerry continually sauntered their way up the field without any pressure until the 21 yard line. Inside that line was fairly packed but once Kerry found their range Cork didnt know what to do.

very impressed with Kerry last night but the other 3 provincial winners will be stiff tests.
I presume Galway will win Connaught so should make for a very good game.

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 30/03/2017 09:07:43    1973018

Link

Replying To OffalyBigBall:  ""The problem for Dublin after sauntering to another Leinster title tonight is that the step up in quality they will face from now on is a very big one and they could be caught cold."
A little harsh on our lads there I feel. To say they sauntered to it isn't fair.
This isn't the senior grade. I think you're judging it somewhat based on what you've seen in the Leinster senior championship for the last 8 or 9 years. The rest of Leinster have been far more competitive against Dublin at this grade in recent times. Offaly have been very competitive at underage level now for a few years. Last night too, Offaly gave a good account of themselves, especially in the first half. To go in double scores down at half-time was a bit hard on them. They mixed it very well with Dublin in the first half and but for a lack of clinical finishing and general efficiency, would have been right in it starting the 2nd half. Admittedly, Dublin pushed on and put the game to bed in the 2nd half. But overall, I thought the score flattered Dublin a little bit."
I'd agree about the score line being somewhat flattering

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 30/03/2017 09:53:41    1973028

Link

Replying To woops:  "Kerry were very good apart from a slight spell when we went from 4-Nil to 4-3 where Cork looked very dangerous for about 10 mins.

After Kerry got the goal , Cork didn't want to know about it.
Cork played with 2 extra men back and they were lost puppies not knowing what to do with their positioning and Kerry continually sauntered their way up the field without any pressure until the 21 yard line. Inside that line was fairly packed but once Kerry found their range Cork didnt know what to do.

very impressed with Kerry last night but the other 3 provincial winners will be stiff tests.
I presume Galway will win Connaught so should make for a very good game."
Just another way to look at it, what had Cork to lose to have a go at Kerry last night.
Was it not better off to go out and try to beat Kerry and end up losing than to go out and produce that defensive crap and end up getting destroyed anyway.

woops (Kerry) - Posts: 2073 - 30/03/2017 09:58:31    1973029

Link

Replying To OffalyBigBall:  ""The problem for Dublin after sauntering to another Leinster title tonight is that the step up in quality they will face from now on is a very big one and they could be caught cold."
This isn't the senior grade. I think you're judging it somewhat based on what you've seen in the Leinster senior championship for the last 8 or 9 years. The rest of Leinster have been far more competitive against Dublin at this grade in recent times. Offaly have been very competitive at underage level now for a few years. Last night too, Offaly gave a good account of themselves, especially in the first half. To go in double scores down at half-time was a bit hard on them. They mixed it very well with Dublin in the first half and but for a lack of clinical finishing and general efficiency, would have been right in it starting the 2nd half. Admittedly, Dublin pushed on and put the game to bed in the 2nd half. But overall, I thought the score flattered Dublin a little bit."
I think it is a fair statement in the general context of the Championship as a whole. Dublin won their 3 matches by a combined 6-38 to 0-23 that makes their average winning margin over the 3 games of 11 points with Longford getting the closest by getting beat by 7 points. If that is not sauntering to a Leinster title then I do not know what is?

I do agree though that the scoreline last night did flatter Dublin a bit after viewing the highlights of the game. You are right in that Offaly should have been closer at HT and from what I saw of the highlights of the 2nd half were the masters of their own disaster by turning over the ball cheaply when in possession with Dublin generally punishing them. It was still a 12 point win for the Dubs in the end so whatever way you look at it it was still a comprehensive win regardless. That is 4 in a row for Dublin at U-21 level added to the senior dominance makes depressing reading for supporters of Leinster teams outside of Dublin.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2779 - 30/03/2017 11:00:27    1973055

Link

Whoever comes out of Ulster will have less than 3 days to prepare for Dublin.

From a Donegal point of view, should they qualify for the league final and win the u21 it would be:

2nd April: Seniors away to Mayo
5th April: U21 vs Cavan
9th April: League final
12th April: Ulster u21 Final
15th April: u21 AI semi vs Dublin

A big 'if' and would be a nice problem to have but thats a lot of football for those in both panels.

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1422 - 30/03/2017 11:10:15    1973061

Link

Replying To benjyyy:  "Whoever comes out of Ulster will have less than 3 days to prepare for Dublin.

From a Donegal point of view, should they qualify for the league final and win the u21 it would be:

A big 'if' and would be a nice problem to have but thats a lot of football for those in both panels."
When is the U-21 final scheduled for? Hardly fair to have Ulster final 3 days before a possible semi final.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2779 - 30/03/2017 11:52:47    1973082

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "When is the U-21 final scheduled for? Hardly fair to have Ulster final 3 days before a possible semi final."
Happened to Cavan in 2011 so it highly probable.

Hardtimes (Cavan) - Posts: 1056 - 30/03/2017 12:45:25    1973112

Link

Replying To benjyyy:  "Whoever comes out of Ulster will have less than 3 days to prepare for Dublin.

A big 'if' and would be a nice problem to have but thats a lot of football for those in both panels."
It's not a nice situation, but in fairness, extra time in omagh nor a water logged pitch could be legislated for by anyone.

I wouldnt look that far ahead at all. We are nowhere near the ulster final yet never mind a league final. We should focus on the Cavan u21 game as a priority. We have lost u21matches in recent years that we left behind and a league fixture in castlebar should not distract us from what we need to win badly. I think that we still can get the result needed in Castlebar without exposing our youth to game time.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 30/03/2017 13:04:17    1973124

Link

Replying To Donegalman:  "It's not a nice situation, but in fairness, extra time in omagh nor a water logged pitch could be legislated for by anyone.

I wouldnt look that far ahead at all. We are nowhere near the ulster final yet never mind a league final. We should focus on the Cavan u21 game as a priority. We have lost u21matches in recent years that we left behind and a league fixture in castlebar should not distract us from what we need to win badly. I think that we still can get the result needed in Castlebar without exposing our youth to game time."
That's not goin to happen donegal man Rory is goin to play 5 maybe 6 of the u21s against mayo on Sunday. My question is with us safe what about the over 21s that's on the senior panel i.e. Conor gibbons. Mark mc Hugh. Mc elhinney. Lacey why does he not have them game time on Sunday. If Cavan who have. half our population can afford not to play u21s we shud b able too

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 2392 - 30/03/2017 14:49:03    1973183

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "That's not goin to happen donegal man Rory is goin to play 5 maybe 6 of the u21s against mayo on Sunday. My question is with us safe what about the over 21s that's on the senior panel i.e. Conor gibbons. Mark mc Hugh. Mc elhinney. Lacey why does he not have them game time on Sunday. If Cavan who have. half our population can afford not to play u21s we shud b able too"
It's not about being "safe" anymore.

Rory figures that this team is capable of great things & he is going to take every opportunity to meld them together & get them used to playing together at the top level.

I have to say I agree with him.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 30/03/2017 15:45:00    1973204

Link

Very good points I have to say. Re the re fixtures and backlog of fixtures, we are in for a dog of a time and there is utterly no way around it.

re playing u21s in the senior grade, it really paid off in dividends for both grades. I think that it is and was a good idea to play the u21s in the mckenna competition as now they are ready for the real deal. But it is a long road when you do this and it is also a gamble.

I think that Rory should be cautious on sunday when he lines out the team. We need to play our u21s at some stage, but not for more than half a game. I really hope that this is the way it will pan out as we cant afford any more injuries or the like. We have to have everybody ship shape for both competitions.

I also believe that we can still do well despite the amount of games that we have to get through.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 30/03/2017 16:17:09    1973219

Link