National Forum

Division 2 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Could Cork be in a little bit of bother this Sunday?

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 875 - 29/03/2017 18:55:51    1972891

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Totally threw the game away. 1 point up gale force wind at back, cork were in total disaray and we blew it by hitting unreal shots at posts, coming back off upright hitting shot from every angle while simple pass would have set up certain point. Blew it big time. Did you not read McEntee interviews after? Jesus he was livid."
Wow, a whole point up. Meath clearly put themselves in a position to win the game but you really can't say the game was thrown away when you were only a point up.

Galway could say they threw the game away against Meath, 4 points down at HT and then went 3 points up with minutes to go and well on top to boot.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 29/03/2017 19:15:49    1972897

Link

first ligament injury of the season hopefully no more for any player,but meath seem to get a lot of these. sad news as alan forde was a key player and showing great leadership. wish him the best.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 29/03/2017 19:50:43    1972904

Link

Replying To commander:  "Meath on a good roll and starting to find some shape and form, so could go your way. Kildare wouldn't roll over but I don't expect management to risk key players too much. Although it would be nice to turn Galway over on their own patch"
kildare are entitled to play squad players if they wanted. they finish top and don't owe anyone anything.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 29/03/2017 19:52:18    1972906

Link

Would love us to beat galway on sunday, we owe them big time for countless defeats down the years. however being realistic we are playing for nothing, we have a few lads carrying injuries and for galway, its do or die. i would be shocked if we beat them.

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 365 - 29/03/2017 22:09:25    1972965

Link

Replying To 11jm11:  "Would love us to beat galway on sunday, we owe them big time for countless defeats down the years. however being realistic we are playing for nothing, we have a few lads carrying injuries and for galway, its do or die. i would be shocked if we beat them."
Galway are Kildare's bogey team with out doubt.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 29/03/2017 23:12:37    1972983

Link

Replying To 11jm11:  "Would love us to beat galway on sunday, we owe them big time for countless defeats down the years. however being realistic we are playing for nothing, we have a few lads carrying injuries and for galway, its do or die. i would be shocked if we beat them."
"realisticly we are playing for nothing"

I hope no top notch Sport Psychologist or football manger sees that....Jim Galvin..Jim McGuinness ..Éamonn Fitzmaurice and Mickey Harte would not see it that way!

Mickey Harte and Tyrone were twice in the position that Kildare find themselves in now already promoted to Division 1 for next year..let me just say Mickey Harte knows the importance of a winning team and momentum or the new buzz word "the winner effect" going into the championship because after Sunday thats all that matters is the championship.

Mickey Harte this time last year made sure his players didn't take their foot off anybody's throat because he didn't want to come into the Ulster championship on the back of doing all the hard work and then losing his last two games and by doing so his team were rewarded Ulster champions 2016 ..but if i screw my little Meath head on here yes if Kildare loses their last 2 games to Galway that will break their momentum coming into the leinster championship and undo some of the hard work and the good foundation Cian O'Neill has done ! Truth is if Meath get into the leinster semi Final i wouldn't really like to face a Kildare team with momentum and only losing once. But that's the ambition you have to face Dublin with.."momentum" "consistency " and a winning team ! You never want to be a manager of a team that gives themselves a clap on the back and big well done in the middle of March !

This Kildare team has an excellent forward unit that will trouble the very top teams but to imagine this Kildare team having foam parties or making rice crispy buns and colouring in at training all this week and taking things lightly is laughable in a semi professional era ! or Galway are running hard at training all this week but the Kildare boys are really matching it with twice the amount of hard work and blood and sweat ?

Kildare are in a great place right now with the "the winner effect" and i can't see them giving away a win and their progress cheaply to Galway !

link

Kildare to win by more that 10 points !

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 875 - 30/03/2017 02:01:39    1973005

Link

That's exactly what I have been saying, its a nothing game for Kildare where as Galway season may be defined by this game, Kildare will rest there players , so it would be a huge surprise if Kildare won, but we have to win our own game and then hopefully look across at salthill and see, be great for Leinster if both promoted but highly unlikely.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 30/03/2017 09:05:36    1973016

Link

I think Kildare should go all out to beat Galway and try promote Meath,with Galways underage pedigree they will be a serious force in the very near future, i know who id rather be playing next year in a dog fight for survival..

cuttothebone (Kildare) - Posts: 163 - 30/03/2017 12:40:01    1973107

Link

Replying To WhyTheLongFace:  ""realisticly we are playing for nothing"

I hope no top notch Sport Psychologist or football manger sees that....Jim Galvin..Jim McGuinness ..Éamonn Fitzmaurice and Mickey Harte would not see it that way!

Mickey Harte and Tyrone were twice in the position that Kildare find themselves in now already promoted to Division 1 for next year..let me just say Mickey Harte knows the importance of a winning team and momentum or the new buzz word "the winner effect" going into the championship because after Sunday thats all that matters is the championship.

Mickey Harte this time last year made sure his players didn't take their foot off anybody's throat because he didn't want to come into the Ulster championship on the back of doing all the hard work and then losing his last two games and by doing so his team were rewarded Ulster champions 2016 ..but if i screw my little Meath head on here yes if Kildare loses their last 2 games to Galway that will break their momentum coming into the leinster championship and undo some of the hard work and the good foundation Cian O'Neill has done ! Truth is if Meath get into the leinster semi Final i wouldn't really like to face a Kildare team with momentum and only losing once. But that's the ambition you have to face Dublin with.."momentum" "consistency " and a winning team ! You never want to be a manager of a team that gives themselves a clap on the back and big well done in the middle of March !

This Kildare team has an excellent forward unit that will trouble the very top teams but to imagine this Kildare team having foam parties or making rice crispy buns and colouring in at training all this week and taking things lightly is laughable in a semi professional era ! or Galway are running hard at training all this week but the Kildare boys are really matching it with twice the amount of hard work and blood and sweat ?

Kildare are in a great place right now with the "the winner effect" and i can't see them giving away a win and their progress cheaply to Galway !

link

Kildare to win by more that 10 points !"
10 points?? Wow. Has it considered to you that maybe Galway are the best team in this division and could win by that score as well? The Meath posters are out in force posting about Kildare winning.. Ye should be more worried about Clare as i think they will beat you... by 10 points!!!

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 30/03/2017 13:47:15    1973147

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "
Replying To WhyTheLongFace:  ""realisticly we are playing for nothing"

link

Kildare to win by more that 10 points !"
10 points?? Wow. Has it considered to you that maybe Galway are the best team in this division and could win by that score as well? The Meath posters are out in force posting about Kildare winning.. Ye should be more worried about Clare as i think they will beat you... by 10 points!!!"
Then how bad would that make Galway? Since we beat Galway and would get beat by Clare, that would make Galway behind Clare, Kildare and Meath using your logic.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 30/03/2017 14:14:12    1973168

Link

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts:812 - 30/03/2017 13:47:15

"Topic" Division 2 2017

I didn't really think i would hit a nerve with any of the Galway posters if i am Honest discussion Division 2 football !

Galway are a good Team and i think they are going to show a lot of teams that they mean Business this year with these last two games with Kildare in the league campaign !

Looking at Galway playing against Meath in Navan this year..Navan is a very small pitch and i said to myself if that was a big pitch like croke park Meath would have been in trouble ! I think Kevin Walsh is thinking ahead this year and looking at the bigger picture and to get his team to croke park and finally getting a win on croke park soil first time since 2001 !

If Kildare have any ambitions they would need to beat Galway in salt hill rather than trying to beat them in croke park with a spring in their step were Kevin Walsh and Galway want to be and win !..Galway want to win in croke park and the league final will be there mini all ireland !

Your 100% dead right about Clare they could very well beat Meath by 10 points ...because their is no such thing as a easy game and no team is going to hand any team a win cheaply..

You got to earn the right to play in division 1 football .. i more or less said was Kildare earned the right to play their and i just hope with their young team they are looking at the bigger picture and don't take their foot of the gas and keep that killer instinct !

Plus i have a lot of family members who played for Kildare ..i think i earned the right to talk about Kildare football !

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 875 - 30/03/2017 15:05:46    1973193

Link

Looking at Galway playing against Meath in Navan this year..'Navan is a very small pitch'
WhyTheLongFace

That's a pretty strong post- and a bit inaccurate. The pitch is the same width as Croke Park and about 4m shorter so small -certainly not a small pitch

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 30/03/2017 18:55:00    1973286

Link

Sunday wont have any bearing on Kildare going into the championship. O'Neill will rightly rest key players who have played every game so far. If Galway beat us well and good but we'll have another crack at them later with a more experienced team.

I still expect Kildare to go for a win and the "fringe" players will mostly likely include the very experienced Callaghan and Bolton along with a few who made their senior debut during the league. We have a decent enough panel and I'm looking forward to testing it on Sunday. Won't be a better chance to test it before the championship and I think Cian will be thinking the same.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1700 - 30/03/2017 20:40:01    1973324

Link

Replying To browncows:  "Looking at Galway playing against Meath in Navan this year..'Navan is a very small pitch'
WhyTheLongFace

That's a pretty strong post- and a bit inaccurate. The pitch is the same width as Croke Park and about 4m shorter so small -certainly not a small pitch"
I suppose no point in fallen out over 4m ... its smallish then :)

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 875 - 30/03/2017 21:06:15    1973328

Link

What a great competition the league is, with all teams in division 2 except Kildare playing for something this weekend. From my own county's perspective, I think a return to division 1 is a must at this stage for this group of players. They have been out of the top tier since 2011 and I think they're ready to make the step up. Hoping for 2 cracking games in Salthill on Sunday and a promotion for Kevin Walsh and the lads will leave me a very happy man on Sunday evening!

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 374 - 31/03/2017 13:37:04    1973535

Link

Another point on Galway...Barry McHugh's free taking is not getting national media coverage (presumably because of the lack of focus on division 2) but it has been exceptional to say the least. He takes them from the ground and anything inside 55/60 metres has been sailing over the black spot. If he can keep this up he will be one of the best free takers in the country.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 374 - 31/03/2017 13:40:02    1973536

Link

8 league debuts on team for sunday. Also Bolton, Kelly and Callaghan return. Fionn Dowling also starts.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1700 - 31/03/2017 22:13:07    1973706

Link

14 changes for Kildare their really going for this game :( ..can't blame them though I'd do the same

royal7 (Meath) - Posts: 156 - 01/04/2017 09:59:05    1973762

Link

Its not a bad side we have out despite the changes. They will have a right go at galway.

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 365 - 01/04/2017 10:48:03    1973775

Link