National Forum

Defence clap clap clap.. Defence clap clap clap

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Triple H:  "Well damn me for having an opinion!! You're telling me when Meath were winning all round them in the 80's and 90's you didn't comment on their style of play or aggression etc.? Take the fact I'm from Meath away from this, I'm allowed comment on defensive play, yes/no?

Yes, Donegal from the outset and throughout set up unbelievably defensive and initiated it. Dublin may have done so too but not in the same universe as Donegal.

So you are telling me Donegal are not solely defensive? Wow. I think when Michael Murphy (the best full forward in the game) bases himself in his own half back line says it all."
Of course you are allowed to comment. This is an open forum. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you, Meath aside.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 26/02/2017 19:32:39    1961199

Link

Replying To Donegalman:  "No it wasn't. Very enjoyable to watch it live. Get own house in order and then criticize - for instance the next time you play/ lie down against the dubs"
He's from Meath!!

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 26/02/2017 19:36:43    1961201

Link

Replying To Donegalman:  "Of course you are allowed to comment. This is an open forum. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you, Meath aside."
And I accept that 100%. Listen honestly I was delighted to see Donegal win the All Ireland and multiple Ulsters in the past few years so genuinely nothing against them or their fans. I just really do think they are better than what they play and it just makes for a very poor spectacle.

Triple H (Meath) - Posts: 551 - 26/02/2017 19:38:21    1961203

Link

I did'nt see the match. But conditions were difficult. Also strange to hear a Meath man having a go. When Meath are in division 1 and have won an All Ireland then I will listen. The GAA in Meath is fast becoming a "Joke". Remember the try, sorry goal that beat Louth a few years ago! And Meaths refusal to give a rematch also.
Get your own house in order Meath men.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2517 - 26/02/2017 19:40:17    1961204

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "Well damn me for having an opinion!! You're telling me when Meath were winning all round them in the 80's and 90's you didn't comment on their style of play or aggression etc.? Take the fact I'm from Meath away from this, I'm allowed comment on defensive play, yes/no?

Yes, Donegal from the outset and throughout set up unbelievably defensive and initiated it. Dublin may have done so too but not in the same universe as Donegal.

So you are telling me Donegal are not solely defensive? Wow. I think when Michael Murphy (the best full forward in the game) bases himself in his own half back line says it all."
Of course you are allowed to comment on anything you like, but you can be called out on things you say and how you angle them as much as I can be or anyone else.

Meath in the 80s and 90s were physical but were full of great players like Ollie Murphy, Trevor Giles, Graham Geraghty to name but a few. We have excellent players who have brought so much to the game this past 4/5 years. Ryan McHugh scored a class goal today. Jason McGee is a kid and he scored 1-1 from midfield against the Dubs. Ciaran Thompson just gets better and he is a kid. Yet you just revert to the same old negative, lop-sided analysis we have listened to for ages now. The party line must be 'Dublin are great and Donegal the bad guys', sorry but that's bland and devoid of serious analysis. Imbalanced and unfair.

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 1319 - 26/02/2017 19:42:51    1961206

Link

Ive said it time and again on here and ill say it again.

Whatever way teams set up, that is up to them. I have no issue with what Donegal, Tyrone do. I don't care that Dublin get numbers behind the ball when the opposition attack us, I expect us to do that, Why wouldn't we ? Anybody who thinks we don't get back into a defensive shape when we don't have the ball is deluded. There is a skill to it and Donegal are brilliant at it and yano what, sometimes we are pretty damn good at it too, And I don't care. I personally was entertained this afternoon. Thought it was another fascinating game among two of the best teams of the last half decade or so which, as I already said, considering the poor conditions, was enthralling. It had some really nice scores, some fantastic defensive skills from both sides, bravery...hard hitting, and the normal couple of dreadful decisions and talking points. Glad we came away with our unbeaten league and record still in tact. I'm starting to get concerned with, not even our lack of goals, more our lack of goalscoring chances. I'm hoping its just the early season blues though, and when we start to get more lads back we will see more urgency.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 19:45:57    1961213

Link

How have all the other sides done V Dublin ?

32 unbeaten .

We won't lye down against them like all of the Leinster sides .

Dublin are a super team - they deserve so much credit .

Great to see so many Dublin fans there . A great bunch of people .

Good battling quality from a group of Donegal kids .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 26/02/2017 19:46:07    1961214

Link

Any kind of games this time of year other than on an all weather or Croke park is going to be difficult for the players. The shift put in and the overall effort is huge, these guys job is to work on match sharpness anyone who judges a game in Feb is going to come up with all the wrong conclusions. Now that doesn't mean it is watchable or is a spectacle it is not but it couldn't be at this time of year. Just wish GAA would lower prices accordingly with the inferior games on offer.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 26/02/2017 19:46:11    1961215

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "I know enough to see that Dublin had a very mixed team playing today. Far from their strongest to be certain and Donegal were still afraid to give it a proper go."
Whatever about Dublin being understrength, we have lost 9 players from last year. Players of the calibre of McNeilis, Thompson, Toye, McLoone, N. Gallagher, McFadden and Eamon McGee. Players that are not easily replaced. Added to that we still have the likes of Kieran Gillespie, Paddy McBrearty, Martin McElhinney and Karl Lacey to come back in.

What exactly did you expect from Donegal? Afraid to give it a go.. Come off it. We defended ferociously and were able to open up Dublin numerous times, dropping 3 or 4 short and kicking some poor wides in absolutely shocking conditions. I thought we did excellent with the team we now have at our disposal. We'd a whole host of under 21s playing including 19 year old Michael Carroll and an 18 year old midfielder Jason McGee who was outstanding today against the best pound for pound midfielder in the country in Brian Fenton. I'm proud of how these lads did and what a great experience it was for them today.

HandballRef (Donegal) - Posts: 520 - 26/02/2017 19:49:06    1961219

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "And I accept that 100%. Listen honestly I was delighted to see Donegal win the All Ireland and multiple Ulsters in the past few years so genuinely nothing against them or their fans. I just really do think they are better than what they play and it just makes for a very poor spectacle."
Just cause its not exactly free flowing sexy football doesn't make it a poor spectacle. I'm sick of this notion that football has to be played a certain way and that anybody who dares veer off course is inflicting stab wounds in the murder of gaelic football cause that is absolute total and utter balls. . I accept that people might want to see great football as a preference, I'm one of them, but to suggest that there is no skill involved or any entertainment involved in this is, in my view, simply untrue. Its fascinating and intriguing. If the lack of a spectacle is such a big deal then why are so many Donegal people willing to spend money watching it year on year. Ive been to loads of Donegal games as a neutral, and there are always huge crowds. If Donegal and Tyrone where playing in an ulster final this july, it'd sell out. People are not voting with their feet when it comes to the black death of gaelic football because its a myth, If anything the league crowds are increasing, and the reason why attendances are dwindling (in the championship) has nothing to do with the spectacle on show, rather the dire, huge difference of quality between the Dublins of this world and the Meaths of this world where the gap is widening. Competitive sport draws mega crowds and interest, turkey shoots don't. I was a nervous wreck in the last few minutes today, in a league game in February, There is every chance I wont feel nerves like that in the championship until august at the earliest.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 20:02:13    1961227

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "I did'nt see the match. But conditions were difficult. Also strange to hear a Meath man having a go. When Meath are in division 1 and have won an All Ireland then I will listen. The GAA in Meath is fast becoming a "Joke". Remember the try, sorry goal that beat Louth a few years ago! And Meaths refusal to give a rematch also.
Get your own house in order Meath men."
Out of order.

TripleH is well entitled to his opinion, Whether people agree or not.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 20:03:34    1961228

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "I did'nt see the match. But conditions were difficult. Also strange to hear a Meath man having a go. When Meath are in division 1 and have won an All Ireland then I will listen. The GAA in Meath is fast becoming a "Joke". Remember the try, sorry goal that beat Louth a few years ago! And Meaths refusal to give a rematch also.
Get your own house in order Meath men."
That's a very silly statement that because the person is from a county that ain't in the top division there point don't matter.
many intelligent and wise people who have brilliant reading of the games from all over the country it doesn't matter if there place of birth has been successful or not to be able to understand the game.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 20:04:38    1961229

Link

Wayno
Playing 15 players inside your own 45 isn't brilliant defending, it's easy defending as you have so many players back that the actual defenders don't have to do what defenders of the past did and compete with their direct market man on man and have a dual, that defending had an art to it a skill to it.
When teams like Donegal do what they done in 2011 or today it's just a complete tactic to stop the opposition
What they did in 2012 or against us in 2014 was completely different as they tried to outscore us.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 20:18:16    1961236

Link

It's win at all costs nowadays, doesn't matter if you park the bus in front of your goals or get everybody black carded as long as you get the right result for your team, in conditions like today it was difficult to kick a point 30-35m out from goals never mind from the 45m line or midfield, you couldn't bounce the ball, the ball was sloppy, very easy to lose the ball in a tackle so every man behind the ball and hopefully break forward at speed was the best option, the old saying that wet weather or rain is a great leveller in a match is true, you play to your strengths

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 26/02/2017 20:18:27    1961237

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Just cause its not exactly free flowing sexy football doesn't make it a poor spectacle. I'm sick of this notion that football has to be played a certain way and that anybody who dares veer off course is inflicting stab wounds in the murder of gaelic football cause that is absolute total and utter balls. . I accept that people might want to see great football as a preference, I'm one of them, but to suggest that there is no skill involved or any entertainment involved in this is, in my view, simply untrue. Its fascinating and intriguing. If the lack of a spectacle is such a big deal then why are so many Donegal people willing to spend money watching it year on year. Ive been to loads of Donegal games as a neutral, and there are always huge crowds. If Donegal and Tyrone where playing in an ulster final this july, it'd sell out. People are not voting with their feet when it comes to the black death of gaelic football because its a myth, If anything the league crowds are increasing, and the reason why attendances are dwindling (in the championship) has nothing to do with the spectacle on show, rather the dire, huge difference of quality between the Dublins of this world and the Meaths of this world where the gap is widening. Competitive sport draws mega crowds and interest, turkey shoots don't. I was a nervous wreck in the last few minutes today, in a league game in February, There is every chance I wont feel nerves like that in the championship until august at the earliest."
Great post wayno!!

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 26/02/2017 20:39:19    1961253

Link

Enjoyed both games on TG4, but really something will have to done to disincentive the defensive game. Endless passages today from all 4 teams passing the ball along the 45 metre line while the opposition sat and waited for them. Hard to know what rule changes would help though

befair (Down) - Posts: 237 - 26/02/2017 20:40:56    1961255

Link

Great result for Donegal today

As they say in the game of golf - No room for pictures on the score card (when you have a scruffy par, birdie etc)

It is all about the result. It always has and always will

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1415 - 26/02/2017 20:42:11    1961256

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Wayno
Playing 15 players inside your own 45 isn't brilliant defending, it's easy defending as you have so many players back that the actual defenders don't have to do what defenders of the past did and compete with their direct market man on man and have a dual, that defending had an art to it a skill to it.
When teams like Donegal do what they done in 2011 or today it's just a complete tactic to stop the opposition
What they did in 2012 or against us in 2014 was completely different as they tried to outscore us."
Hill, its a team game.

Not a game for individuals.

All successful teams in every single sport play as a team no matter how good/skilful one individual is.

My point is, I agree with you to a point, 1v1, forward v defender it takes a great defensive skill to come out of that 1v1 with possession. But doing what Donegal do, and lets not just say Donegal, because we absolutely 100% do it at times, and did so today, takes the whole team to perform it. Its really not as simple as just getting 14 lads behind the ball and filling space, There is more to it than that, If it was as simple as what you make it, Clare or Limerick could do it in a one off game against Kerry and make It as competitive and difficult to score as we found it today, And Donegal too.

Offaly couldn't just wake up on a sunday morning of a game against the dubs in croker and say, right lads we will play everyone behind the ball and keep it close for 70 minutes or keep it competitive, get a draw or even beat us. It takes weeks, months, even years of practice to get it off too a T.

Sport is about winning, Teams will enjoy what they do when they are winning. Its as simple as that.

Fans are the same, If you said to a Meath man tomorrow, Or an Offaly, Clare, or Sligo fan if they would care if they play amore defensive plan if it meant winning a provincial crown and possibly competing against the top 4 or 5 teams in the country in croker, they would bite your arm off.

And I guarantee you right now that their attendances at games would increase tenfold.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 20:47:14    1961259

Link

Replying To befair:  "Enjoyed both games on TG4, but really something will have to done to disincentive the defensive game. Endless passages today from all 4 teams passing the ball along the 45 metre line while the opposition sat and waited for them. Hard to know what rule changes would help though"
Watching on Tele I can see why it'd be cat to watch

When you are there, or more so, when I'm there, I can see all the off the ball movement infront of the 45 and see how

A) The team in possession gets over/under/through the blanket
b) The team doing the defending stays in their defensive structure and maintains their discipline.

Not beautiful to watch, but its bloody interesting, intriguing and enthralling at the same time.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 20:54:21    1961269

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Ah come on that was a terrible game of football, if you could even call it that.
probably worsed I have seen since the derry league game a few years back.
how can you be happy we were so predictable with overdoing the ball in their half of the pitch going back and forth and back and forth.
at 5v1 we could have kicked on and put the game to bed but it looked like they were afraid to shoot.
Gavin constantly says we need to evolve year on year that we can't stay static well the first three games have seen us wait far too long to take a score and one goal in three games shows we are not being direct enough.
the first two games were one thing you could understand as we had not played as a team since October and only two weeks training but today was woeful to only draw when twice we had the game won and the opposition only score one point from play for the entire 70+ minutes.
big improvement needed next week."
Honest question Hill. Would you really watch the Dubs winning by 23 points and it been over at half time or watch a good tight hard match that's close till the end? I know what match I would prefer.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 26/02/2017 21:12:16    1961286

Link