National Forum

Donegal V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

sad reflection on the mindset of Donegal to have a match winning chance in the last play and spurn it to get a draw..i couldn't believe it..surely someone should have told them there was no chance of Dublin getting it up the field

kavvie (Clare) - Posts: 505 - 26/02/2017 17:29:37    1961070

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Very poor game of football today.
two woeful performances from each side.
referee had the two biggest moments in the game in awarding the first goal incorrectly when it was a clear square ball and then the free at the end was for what exactly? If anything the Donegal forward was the only player with hand on an opposition player.
in all honesty we should have been out of sight long before the goals.
the over doing of passing the ball instead of having a go at the posts is something that is becoming too obvious to opposition teams.
Poor team selection from Gavin today aswell it was a forward line lacking any firepower he selected.
Donegal were there typical selves dour boring and refusing to kick the ball in the first half yet they were rewarded for it like a mask murderer winning the euromillions by getting two freak goals.
felt the pitch was borderline unplayable aswell for the most part."
how dare anyone put it up to the dubs! :)

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 26/02/2017 17:36:03    1961078

Link

referee had the two biggest moments in the game in awarding the first goal incorrectly when it was a clear square ball and then the free at the end was for what exactly? If anything the Donegal forward was the only player with hand on an opposition player.
the over doing of passing the ball instead of having a go at the posts is something that is becoming too obvious to opposition teams.
Poor team selection from Gavin today aswell it was a forward line lacking any firepower he selected.
Donegal were there typical selves dour boring and refusing to kick the ball in the first half yet they were rewarded for it like a mask murderer winning the euromillions by getting two freak goals.
Plenty of dropped shots into Cluxton and a few bad wides more than offset the two goals. Donegal got through youse on several occasions.

DonegalAtlantic (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 26/02/2017 17:44:00    1961084

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "how dare anyone put it up to the dubs! :)"
What are you on about my fine fellow

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 17:47:11    1961091

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "how dare anyone put it up to the dubs! :)"
hahaha well you lot certainly won't be putting it up to us....

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 17:47:40    1961092

Link

Your bias is beyond a joke assuming you're not winding up. I watched the game in full and saw two cagey teams with lots of men behind the ball. Did you not see that? Honestly? Stop playing the moral high ground as honest posters who watched the game see through your bluff.

Donegal's young players were excellent today in parts. Ciaran Thompson is an emerging leader. Jason McGee really contributed for such a young man. The McHughs and O'Reilly have such dynamism in changing defence to attack. Young Caolan Ward deserves much credit in this respect also. Murphy didn't deserve MOM in my opinion, had some fine moments but was below par. Still influential which says it all. Frank McGlynn and Paddy McGrath were excellent and their experience was vital. We lacked a cohesive attacking strategy and I feel the two goals glossed over that. Lots to be optimistic about I have to say but so much to work on. Still, a draw with this fine Dublin team is not by chance, few teams can do it. So I'm pleased with a point and it could prove critical by the end of the league in terms of survival or league silverware.

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 1319 - 26/02/2017 17:53:48    1961100

Link

Apart from all that, did you enjoy yourself hill?

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 26/02/2017 18:06:55    1961116

Link

That surprised me I have to admit! Very proud of the young lads stepping up, I thought McGee, Thompson and Ward in particular were excellent. Murphy was a bit sloppy in possession which was frustrating but conditions were difficult for both sides

We were very blunt in attack but really pleased with the defensive effort and the character shown. Especially after the Dubs went 2 clear, the heads could've gone down and they might have kicked on but they really stuck at it, some great tackling and turnovers.

O'Gara seemed to be getting a bit of joy on Neil McGee so I was a bit puzzled when he came off? Impressed with Fitzsimons as well, ferocious tackler.

It was never a free in the end.

Very pleased, and a good atmosphere as well.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1432 - 26/02/2017 18:17:54    1961123

Link

Replying To kavvie:  "sad reflection on the mindset of Donegal to have a match winning chance in the last play and spurn it to get a draw..i couldn't believe it..surely someone should have told them there was no chance of Dublin getting it up the field"
I think they were very wary of letting it slip and wanted to engineer a high percentage opportunity rather than a potshot. Obviously as a fan at the time I was roaring at them to have a pop but in hindsight they never really had a good opening for it, and the Dubs are so quick (see their goal!) they were best holding on to the ball.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1432 - 26/02/2017 18:19:37    1961126

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "I think they were very wary of letting it slip and wanted to engineer a high percentage opportunity rather than a potshot. Obviously as a fan at the time I was roaring at them to have a pop but in hindsight they never really had a good opening for it, and the Dubs are so quick (see their goal!) they were best holding on to the ball."
I agree with you Joe it could prove to be a very important and unexpected point in the grand scheme of things cannot be too critical of the players. Yes you would love them to kick on but in the circumstances not one to be too critical.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2779 - 26/02/2017 18:32:21    1961136

Link

hill16no1man (Dublin) - a good old rant there and complaining about the first goal - you did not complain when Mayo scored two of those for ye in the AI final!

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 26/02/2017 18:40:16    1961144

Link

Replying To Donegal_abroad:  "Your bias is beyond a joke assuming you're not winding up. I watched the game in full and saw two cagey teams with lots of men behind the ball. Did you not see that? Honestly? Stop playing the moral high ground as honest posters who watched the game see through your bluff.

Donegal's young players were excellent today in parts. Ciaran Thompson is an emerging leader. Jason McGee really contributed for such a young man. The McHughs and O'Reilly have such dynamism in changing defence to attack. Young Caolan Ward deserves much credit in this respect also. Murphy didn't deserve MOM in my opinion, had some fine moments but was below par. Still influential which says it all. Frank McGlynn and Paddy McGrath were excellent and their experience was vital. We lacked a cohesive attacking strategy and I feel the two goals glossed over that. Lots to be optimistic about I have to say but so much to work on. Still, a draw with this fine Dublin team is not by chance, few teams can do it. So I'm pleased with a point and it could prove critical by the end of the league in terms of survival or league silverware."
How am I bring biased?
Yeah dublin walked into it with a bit of Kerry 2014 tactic of at times fighting fire with fire and this probably was enevitable when we only selected one team scoring forward and he even had an off day with the boot.
but man Donegal scored their first point after about thirty seconds and went what must have been a half hour before they got gifted a free from eoghan o gara and then got a square ball goal followed by another goal in thirty seconds
the entire first half felt like they were defending that 1 point after thirty seconds haha.
plus you can't honestly tell me you enjoy the reluctance to kick the ball?
I doubt in that first half Donegal kicked passed more than five times it was that bad.
Result wise of course your delighted but hand in heart I can't imagine you enjoyed the football game as it was appalling stuff to watch.
dublin played their hand in too as i say with not selecting a better forward line but dublin don't set out to play the way they did at times today they adapt to the opposition and today playing a bit like Kerry in 2014 final clearly was a bad idea as it limited us. Albeit the first goal should have been disallowed for square ball and last free was anyone's guess what he decided to award it for.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 19:12:09    1961186

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Apart from all that, did you enjoy yourself hill?"
Haha no was looking forward to the famous bbq pitchside but got none

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 19:13:16    1961189

Link

Replying To browncows:  "hill16no1man (Dublin) - a good old rant there and complaining about the first goal - you did not complain when Mayo scored two of those for ye in the AI final!"
Very silly post as why would I complain about getting a goal from an own goal ?
An own goal is a legitimate score
A square ball is a free out haha
Think you need a lie down me owl flower.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 19:17:14    1961190

Link

Very exciting game today, I'm a bit dissapointed we let the lead slip in the final phase of the game today, but I couldn't argue with a draw.

Fair play to Donegal, I don't think they are a match for Dublin 9 times 10, but they battled, never dropped their heads and fully deserve their point. Thought they capitalised on their momentum very will. Some excellent young prospects coming through in Donegal, was impressed with one or two the midfielder and forward in peaticular. Murphy of course we know is some player, no doubt you will be competitive this year and a offer a game to the best.

From a Dublin perceptive there are a few positives, again the mental strength and resolve it's just so hard to beat this team and difficult psychologically for a team to be ahead against us, it's like a battery in a mobile phone running down. This was a very young team the Panay is expanding and games and expierence of this ilk will do these young lads no harm. Look at the first team and the break they are getting and we still hold a strong position to retain the league with two away games already under our belts.

Niall Scully doing wonderfully well again, took his goal well, made some great decisions, general play very good, he's a good physical presence and can get points, he's a real option to start at this point. Fenton, he's just a colossus our best midfilder since Mullins, reminds me so much of him and is improving every game. Jack just offers a different dimension, a sublime footballer who Ozzie so quality, I smell another footballer of the year in his future. I think Gavin is trying something different tactically, the retain procession to beat the blanket at all costs - almost basketball like recycling and wearing down, worked at time today.

The negatives, we switched off just before half time, we have a tendency to do that and it was a carbon copy of Kerry's flukes goals in the semi last year, the team were rattled going in before the break. We badly miss Cian, I like Small but we have been opened up to much centrally against Tyrone and Donegal ala 2014. Don't think Mchugh did himself and favours today. At the moment we seem in third gear just manfully doing a job, I suppose that's to be expected.

All in all, we are sitting pretty in the league, our top players have their feet up, some new bold have developed and added to the panel, some new systems tried and done without really opening up the way we can. The job is good one so far heading into some nice home games.

League couldn't be going any better.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4443 - 26/02/2017 20:00:52    1961226

Link

Great weekend up in Donegal absolutely great people so friendly and great craic, killer drive but great to see the beautiful sights of Donegal. We all know by now my thoughts on that kind of football so I'm saying nothing.

Just one question;

We had a Donegal player over the sideline in the second half it was going to be our ball but the linesman told the ref that there was a push by a Dublin player on the Donegal player, as long as I'm playing football or watching the linesman can only give a lineball or tell the ref if theirs digs or whatever off the ball he can't actually ref the game for the ref, can he?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 26/02/2017 20:26:09    1961245

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Great weekend up in Donegal absolutely great people so friendly and great craic, killer drive but great to see the beautiful sights of Donegal. We all know by now my thoughts on that kind of football so I'm saying nothing.

Just one question;

We had a Donegal player over the sideline in the second half it was going to be our ball but the linesman told the ref that there was a push by a Dublin player on the Donegal player, as long as I'm playing football or watching the linesman can only give a lineball or tell the ref if theirs digs or whatever off the ball he can't actually ref the game for the ref, can he?"
Hmm

I'm sure the lino actually gave a Dublin line ball only for the referee to over rule him.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 20:49:20    1961262

Link

Oh the hypocrite's on here and social media is unbelievable.
Did Dublin not get a very very soft free against Tyrone to draw it? Now you know how it feels.
Not a great game but the conditions played a large part. Still very early in the year. Murphy was unreal in the second half.....when he is running at you he is close to impossible to stop without fouling him. Thought O'Gara was good in the first half after some critics has week.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 26/02/2017 21:00:24    1961278

Link

Wayne it happened right where I was sitting the linesman told the ref there was a push. I just thought the linesman job was to flag which way the ball went and that's it apart from off the ball stuff the ref doesn't see?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 26/02/2017 21:13:26    1961287

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Oh the hypocrite's on here and social media is unbelievable.
Did Dublin not get a very very soft free against Tyrone to draw it? Now you know how it feels.
Not a great game but the conditions played a large part. Still very early in the year. Murphy was unreal in the second half.....when he is running at you he is close to impossible to stop without fouling him. Thought O'Gara was good in the first half after some critics has week."
Absolutely we did..

That said I'm sure a lot of people on here from Dublin said it was soft.

I think you should go back and see where anybody said the tackle on fitzy against Tyrone was a free, I'm pretty confident not many thought it was.

However, just because we got a handy one last time out doesn't mean it is okay for it to go against us this time, or vice versa.

These are decisions that have decided the outcomes of games in the melting pot, had they have been the correct decisions, then Tyrone likely would have walked out of Croker two weeks ago with a deserved win, and we'd likely have left Ballybofey with a victory today.

Two absolutely criminal decisions in two separate games that cost teams two points.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 21:15:59    1961290

Link