National Forum

Defence clap clap clap.. Defence clap clap clap

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Couldn't help but think about this article today while watching the game.
http://www.hoganstand.com/Donegal/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=266735

No offence intended to anyone from Donegal ye battled shocking hard and of course as a Meath man it was great to see ye nick a draw at the death. But wow, that was brutal viewing!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yui4Uif8okU

Triple H (Meath) - Posts: 551 - 26/02/2017 17:49:43    1961096

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "Couldn't help but think about this article today while watching the game.

No offence intended to anyone from Donegal ye battled shocking hard and of course as a Meath man it was great to see ye nick a draw at the death. But wow, that was brutal viewing!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yui4Uif8okU"
No it wasn't. Very enjoyable to watch it live. Get own house in order and then criticize - for instance the next time you play/ lie down against the dubs

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 26/02/2017 18:04:23    1961113

Link

Dublin defended just as deep and in same numbers as us. Get the blinkers off lad.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 421 - 26/02/2017 18:19:08    1961125

Link

Replying To HEREBENJI:  "Dublin defended just as deep and in same numbers as us. Get the blinkers off lad."
No blinkers here, I'm from Meath and if ever there was somebody who would like to pick holes and give out about the Dubs it is me. But Donegal after claiming they would not play defensive initiated that bile today. And my God that was just disgusting to watch. Derry got stick a few years back for defending against Dublin but that was every bit as bad.

I await the whole 'talk when Meath can do this, that and the other' crap, and I admit Meath are trying to play defensive themselves and are just not good enough to do it, but seriously you cannot sit by and think that was not a horrible game of football, if you do it's you that has blinkers on. Football is gone to sh**e and ye boys have a lot to do with that.

I have no interest in making this into a whole Meath v Donegal thing, I'm just saying how that there today was desperate.

Triple H (Meath) - Posts: 551 - 26/02/2017 18:26:41    1961131

Link

Donegal were extremely defensive today but given the opposition I think it was justified. We played 15 v 15 against Kerry and got well beaten. With such a young team we couldn't afford to get a pasting from Dublin and dent their confidence. What were Donegal supposed to do, try to outscore Dublin in a free flowing game?

By the way Dublin played very defensively as well.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1874 - 26/02/2017 18:35:47    1961138

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Donegal were extremely defensive today but given the opposition I think it was justified. We played 15 v 15 against Kerry and got well beaten. With such a young team we couldn't afford to get a pasting from Dublin and dent their confidence. What were Donegal supposed to do, try to outscore Dublin in a free flowing game?

By the way Dublin played very defensively as well."
I for one would love to see Donegal go toe to toe with Dublin because I genuinely think they have the players to battle them properly in a game without playing defensively.

Triple H (Meath) - Posts: 551 - 26/02/2017 18:40:18    1961145

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "No blinkers here, I'm from Meath and if ever there was somebody who would like to pick holes and give out about the Dubs it is me. But Donegal after claiming they would not play defensive initiated that bile today. And my God that was just disgusting to watch. Derry got stick a few years back for defending against Dublin but that was every bit as bad.

I await the whole 'talk when Meath can do this, that and the other' crap, and I admit Meath are trying to play defensive themselves and are just not good enough to do it, but seriously you cannot sit by and think that was not a horrible game of football, if you do it's you that has blinkers on. Football is gone to sh**e and ye boys have a lot to do with that.

I have no interest in making this into a whole Meath v Donegal thing, I'm just saying how that there today was desperate."
First thing you do tomorrow is take a trip into town, visit your local specsavers and get your eyes checked. I only saw the last 20 minutes but the dubs had everyone back. Last attack from Donegal was there anyone in a dublin shirt in the opposition half?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 26/02/2017 18:41:00    1961146

Link

The conditions were brutal & no way would any team have played open attractive football in Ballybofey today.

Sometimes you just have to play what you see if front of you & today was a day for dogging.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 26/02/2017 18:50:29    1961156

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "The conditions were brutal & no way would any team have played open attractive football in Ballybofey today.

Sometimes you just have to play what you see if front of you & today was a day for dogging."
That is also fair enough, the conditions do have to be taken into account. But can you honestly say they would have played or set up any different on a warm dry day? I'm not sure.

Triple H (Meath) - Posts: 551 - 26/02/2017 18:54:27    1961161

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "No blinkers here, I'm from Meath and if ever there was somebody who would like to pick holes and give out about the Dubs it is me. But Donegal after claiming they would not play defensive initiated that bile today. And my God that was just disgusting to watch. Derry got stick a few years back for defending against Dublin but that was every bit as bad.

I have no interest in making this into a whole Meath v Donegal thing, I'm just saying how that there today was desperate."
Donegal initiated it? So if I jump off a mountain and then you jump off a mountain, that's my fault is it? Give it a rest.

Dublin are free to play as they like. No team is bound to following the opposition's style.

Dublin played very deep at times and chose to play that way. Nobody put a gun to their heads. I also agree that Donegal played very deep at times. Also, no team, Dublin or Donegal or anyone else, is either solely 'defensive' or 'attacking.' You don't score two goals by being solely defensive. You don't draw with Dublin by being solely defensive.

And yes, it is a bit rich to be criticising Donegal for drawing with Dublin and being very competitive against them when your own county continually wither in the face of the blue jersey. That's not being condescending but simply stating that you would do better to focus on solutions for Meath, than spout purely negative stuff about a county who are at least giving a real game to a great Dublin team.

It's a bit like being unable to hook up with a fine looking woman but then giving out stink then when another man at least gets a date out of her!!

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 1321 - 26/02/2017 18:57:25    1961163

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "Couldn't help but think about this article today while watching the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yui4Uif8okU"
Totally agree it was terrible game as someone who had a team in it
can't imagine how bad must have been for a neutral.
in all honesty I don't think I could pay to watch dublin play like that all the time it must be hard on Donegal supporters who aren't just results based people and ones who like football.
I would say the half time kick passing statistics would have been worth a look as i doubt Donegal kick passed more than 5 times

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 18:57:29    1961164

Link

Replying To Triple H:  "I for one would love to see Donegal go toe to toe with Dublin because I genuinely think they have the players to battle them properly in a game without playing defensively."
You don't know a thing about football if that's what you think. We have almost a brand new team with an 18 year old at mid field and you think we would do well in a shoot out v Dublin.. Also as someone else said, Dublin were very defensive too but fair dues to them, they r easy to watch when they break. I think you will see a much more attacking game v Cavan, but against the very best sides I think we will play deep.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 26/02/2017 19:00:57    1961169

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "The conditions were brutal & no way would any team have played open attractive football in Ballybofey today.

Sometimes you just have to play what you see if front of you & today was a day for dogging."
In my opinion the putch wasnt even playable to be honest

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 19:01:24    1961171

Link

Both teams set up defensively today. Can it really be said that Donegal "initiated it"? In fact, Dublin actually executed the blanket a little better than Donegal in my opinion. Its obvious that they work on it. I for one have no problem with either setting up like that. It was tactically fascinating to watch. Why be naive to the fact that today's game has more mobile and fitter players who have the steam in the engine to attack and defend in numbers?

breakingball22 (Louth) - Posts: 419 - 26/02/2017 19:03:19    1961172

Link

thought it was an excellent hard fought game. considering the hack of the pitch I think both sides and sets of fans would be going home happy tonight. Just in the door myself. Love the Dubs. what a group of players.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 19:03:56    1961173

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "In my opinion the putch wasnt even playable to be honest"
if I had of gone up there and the game had of been called off I'd have snapped. glad it went ahead.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 26/02/2017 19:11:29    1961183

Link

Replying To Donegalman:  "You don't know a thing about football if that's what you think. We have almost a brand new team with an 18 year old at mid field and you think we would do well in a shoot out v Dublin.. Also as someone else said, Dublin were very defensive too but fair dues to them, they r easy to watch when they break. I think you will see a much more attacking game v Cavan, but against the very best sides I think we will play deep."
I know enough to see that Dublin had a very mixed team playing today. Far from their strongest to be certain and Donegal were still afraid to give it a proper go.

Triple H (Meath) - Posts: 551 - 26/02/2017 19:11:32    1961184

Link

Replying To Donegal_abroad:  "Donegal initiated it? So if I jump off a mountain and then you jump off a mountain, that's my fault is it? Give it a rest.

Dublin are free to play as they like. No team is bound to following the opposition's style.

Dublin played very deep at times and chose to play that way. Nobody put a gun to their heads. I also agree that Donegal played very deep at times. Also, no team, Dublin or Donegal or anyone else, is either solely 'defensive' or 'attacking.' You don't score two goals by being solely defensive. You don't draw with Dublin by being solely defensive.

And yes, it is a bit rich to be criticising Donegal for drawing with Dublin and being very competitive against them when your own county continually wither in the face of the blue jersey. That's not being condescending but simply stating that you would do better to focus on solutions for Meath, than spout purely negative stuff about a county who are at least giving a real game to a great Dublin team.

It's a bit like being unable to hook up with a fine looking woman but then giving out stink then when another man at least gets a date out of her!!"
Well damn me for having an opinion!! You're telling me when Meath were winning all round them in the 80's and 90's you didn't comment on their style of play or aggression etc.? Take the fact I'm from Meath away from this, I'm allowed comment on defensive play, yes/no?

Yes, Donegal from the outset and throughout set up unbelievably defensive and initiated it. Dublin may have done so too but not in the same universe as Donegal.

So you are telling me Donegal are not solely defensive? Wow. I think when Michael Murphy (the best full forward in the game) bases himself in his own half back line says it all.

Triple H (Meath) - Posts: 551 - 26/02/2017 19:18:56    1961191

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "thought it was an excellent hard fought game. considering the hack of the pitch I think both sides and sets of fans would be going home happy tonight. Just in the door myself. Love the Dubs. what a group of players."
Ah come on that was a terrible game of football, if you could even call it that.
probably worsed I have seen since the derry league game a few years back.
how can you be happy we were so predictable with overdoing the ball in their half of the pitch going back and forth and back and forth.
at 5v1 we could have kicked on and put the game to bed but it looked like they were afraid to shoot.
Gavin constantly says we need to evolve year on year that we can't stay static well the first three games have seen us wait far too long to take a score and one goal in three games shows we are not being direct enough.
the first two games were one thing you could understand as we had not played as a team since October and only two weeks training but today was woeful to only draw when twice we had the game won and the opposition only score one point from play for the entire 70+ minutes.
big improvement needed next week.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 19:30:02    1961197

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "if I had of gone up there and the game had of been called off I'd have snapped. glad it went ahead."
I'm not as it was a waste of money as it was watching that display from both teams.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 26/02/2017 19:31:49    1961198

Link