National Forum

Tyrone for Sam 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think people need to calm down as this is only league games in March. As we all know things can change very quickly come championship time and I would expect to see a much improved Tyrone team. Sure last week everyone was saying Donegal were going to be challengers, people get carried away by league performances.

Also having seen the Tyrone under 21 team in action twice in the past 2 weeks I can say they have two very talented forwards in Brennan and Mulgrew. I know it would be a tall order for them to come in this year and solve Tyrone's scoring problem but two great players for the years agead. Ulster will be won by Tyrone, Donegal or Monaghan (maybe Cavan have a chance as well) and the winner of Ulster could mount a decent challenge for the All-Ireland, not saying they would win it but would be difficult opposition.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1874 - 27/03/2017 10:56:32    1971678

Link

Tyrone for Sam 2017 - Honestly can't see it.

Bad result today and after seeing Monaghan today I think Ulster will be very competitive yet again this year.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 3732 - 02/04/2017 18:37:58    1974291

Link

I've always thought Ulster would be very competitive this year, I couldn't believe how so many were making Tyrone strong favourites before a ball was kicked this year. They've certainly improved but not to the point that they're way out in front as the best in Ulster. And that also goes for this "top 4" that's always referenced about Tyrone being in. To me, there's still a clear top 3 (Dublin, Mayo Kerry), with a handful of teams just below, Tyrone included.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 936 - 02/04/2017 19:06:47    1974315

Link

Replying To patk:  "I've always thought Ulster would be very competitive this year, I couldn't believe how so many were making Tyrone strong favourites before a ball was kicked this year. They've certainly improved but not to the point that they're way out in front as the best in Ulster. And that also goes for this "top 4" that's always referenced about Tyrone being in. To me, there's still a clear top 3 (Dublin, Mayo Kerry), with a handful of teams just below, Tyrone included."
I would agree patk, there is a top 3 of Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. It is hard to know who will win Ulster but it should be between Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone, unless Cavan can mount a challenge. In saying that whoever comes out on top in Ulster will be difficult opponents. But I dont see the All-Ireland champions of 2017 coming from Ulster.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1874 - 02/04/2017 19:31:56    1974335

Link

In fairness tethered weren't too many Tyrone poster on here saying they were going to win Sam,
Hi it's also their first year back in div1 and they survived, mickey is a shrued man and he and his team will have learned a lot from this campaign.
Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrone do some damage come the summer and best of luck to them.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 02/04/2017 19:40:00    1974350

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "In fairness tethered weren't too many Tyrone poster on here saying they were going to win Sam,
Hi it's also their first year back in div1 and they survived, mickey is a shrued man and he and his team will have learned a lot from this campaign.
Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrone do some damage come the summer and best of luck to them."
F**k that.

I am sick to the teeth if people making excuses for this team and this manager.

Time is up. Make the proper changes to suit the team u have or leave and let the next generation take like the natural order dictates!!

Wally (Tyrone) - Posts: 912 - 02/04/2017 20:10:19    1974375

Link

Tyrone need a new plan and a new voice. They won't be anywhere near winning Ulster as it stands. Many people on the border here are wondering where is Tony Donnelly as he was a great assistant manager.

border Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 894 - 02/04/2017 22:10:31    1974478

Link

Tyrone are holding back for the summer. A very dangerous animal

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 02/04/2017 22:33:34    1974500

Link

Replying To cjx:  "Tyrone's utter incompetence in shooting with 16 wides and 6/7 short shows they have not got the mental or physical strength to win Sam in the near future (ie. next 5 years anyway)"
I know the latter part of the league wasn't great but that statement is a bit harsh.If somebody had predicted in 2001 or 2002 that Tyrone would go on to win 2 all Irelands in the next 5 years you would have laughed them out the gate.Making statements about what we won't do is a bit negative.How about saying we had a mediocre league but since its our first year back in division thats not too bad,and along the way we held the all ireland champions to a draw,beat by a point by last years other finalists and are the reigning Ulster champions.That being said we do have much to work on but its not the case that improvements can't be made.They can improve and will improve,thats why teams train and practice and the manager tries to figure out the best way forward with the squad he has.We are certainly in need of some help up front and i do think Mickey will have to figure out something to get the extra scores we need.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 03/04/2017 02:59:55    1974548

Link

Replying To Wally:  "F**k that.

I am sick to the teeth if people making excuses for this team and this manager.

Time is up. Make the proper changes to suit the team u have or leave and let the next generation take like the natural order dictates!!"
I would agree with this if I were a Tyrone supporter. 'Thanks for the game lads, keep trying ...you're not far off it...(snigger).' is exactly what we used to hear for decades. It's not about the future it's about the present. There is no cute plan here to ambush anyone in the summer. I say this with no animosity towards Tyrone as they inspired my county to become competitive. What I see is a tired plan.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 03/04/2017 03:36:41    1974550

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "I know the latter part of the league wasn't great but that statement is a bit harsh.If somebody had predicted in 2001 or 2002 that Tyrone would go on to win 2 all Irelands in the next 5 years you would have laughed them out the gate.Making statements about what we won't do is a bit negative.How about saying we had a mediocre league but since its our first year back in division thats not too bad,and along the way we held the all ireland champions to a draw,beat by a point by last years other finalists and are the reigning Ulster champions.That being said we do have much to work on but its not the case that improvements can't be made.They can improve and will improve,thats why teams train and practice and the manager tries to figure out the best way forward with the squad he has.We are certainly in need of some help up front and i do think Mickey will have to figure out something to get the extra scores we need."
I don't see anything changing from here on this year if things were going to change it would have happened already.
Over the last 6 years or we have been in 3 Ai semi finals and our lack of scoring forwards has been our biggest down fall from dead ball and from play and all thought the past year we have a player like Lee Brennan sitting on the bench while other player who have messed up on a number of times have all the nod ahead of him, I have heard it said that he may not be the best trainer which to me is not a good enough reason not to give him a chance if he turns up and trains why wouldn't he get a run out.
in the space of 5 weeks we have gone from the team most able to topple the Dubs to no hopers, I do think we are not as bad as the last 3 matches but not as good as we were talked up to be in Feb.
I also think that even 1 good forward who can score 4 or 5 points a game and we would not be too far off the top 3 teams the only problem now is finding him

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 167 - 03/04/2017 13:46:08    1974798

Link

Replying To redbomb:  "I don't see anything changing from here on this year if things were going to change it would have happened already.
Over the last 6 years or we have been in 3 Ai semi finals and our lack of scoring forwards has been our biggest down fall from dead ball and from play and all thought the past year we have a player like Lee Brennan sitting on the bench while other player who have messed up on a number of times have all the nod ahead of him, I have heard it said that he may not be the best trainer which to me is not a good enough reason not to give him a chance if he turns up and trains why wouldn't he get a run out.
in the space of 5 weeks we have gone from the team most able to topple the Dubs to no hopers, I do think we are not as bad as the last 3 matches but not as good as we were talked up to be in Feb.
I also think that even 1 good forward who can score 4 or 5 points a game and we would not be too far off the top 3 teams the only problem now is finding him"
I hear what you're saying but if there is a star forward,where is he ?Also maybe we don't know everything that goes on in training with regard to Lee Brennan or others that aren't getting a run out. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention at times but what happened Richie Donnelly? Thought he was showing himself to be very useful last year.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 03/04/2017 15:40:44    1974874

Link

Replying To redbomb:  "I don't see anything changing from here on this year if things were going to change it would have happened already.
I also think that even 1 good forward who can score 4 or 5 points a game and we would not be too far off the top 3 teams the only problem now is finding him"
Brennan was been held back for the u21's. He is an exciting player and will get his chance. He was poor over two games in his own age group which is worry in the u21's against Donegal. also extremely left footed, good inter county defenders will be able to defend this easily so he with have to improve his right foot.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 03/04/2017 17:55:43    1974941

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "I hear what you're saying but if there is a star forward,where is he ?Also maybe we don't know everything that goes on in training with regard to Lee Brennan or others that aren't getting a run out. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention at times but what happened Richie Donnelly? Thought he was showing himself to be very useful last year."
You're right, you just can't pluck one from anywhere which some people seem to think.
Richie is injured I believe.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 03/04/2017 17:56:41    1974942

Link

I have read brolly's latest dig at Tyrone I am interested in the Tyrone lads opinion on a couple of things..
1) What is the general feeling within the county on the style they play ? ( honest opinion not I don't care as long as they are winning answers!!!)

2) Does management still have the support of the fans? ( this is hartes last year of his contract)

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 944 - 03/04/2017 18:30:35    1974965

Link

Tyrone are playing with the same game plan they had 10 years ago, difference being they had the players a decade ago; they don't now. They are pretty awful to watch currently and ultra, ultra negative. They DO need fresh thinking on the sideline and have done for the past 5 years or so.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9702 - 04/04/2017 04:06:52    1975158

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Brennan was been held back for the u21's. He is an exciting player and will get his chance. He was poor over two games in his own age group which is worry in the u21's against Donegal. also extremely left footed, good inter county defenders will be able to defend this easily so he with have to improve his right foot."
the holding back because of the u21's is not a good enough reason not to paly him at least give him 1 half look at how many Donegal had on against us it didn't do them any harm. even if his left foot is marked he could be worth carrying for frees

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 167 - 04/04/2017 07:30:04    1975166

Link

Tyrone have had some average league years over the last ten years so I would not be too concerned with their form. They've played five Sunday's on the trot and have looked heavy legged on the last three games. Dublin, Kerry and Mayo would still be the top three and the three Ulster teams Donegal, Monaghan and Tyrone are all fighting to get in the top four. I think they will step up their game come championship time and I do think there is enough good forwards to give Tyrone another Ulster Championship and a last four place in the All-Ireland. Tyrone in 2016 reminded me of Donegal in 2011 they will play on the defence this year but have the pace to counter attack quickly.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1780 - 04/04/2017 13:17:22    1975390

Link

Big worry for Tyrone heading into Ulster champ is they have lost their last 3 League games and they were against 3 of the top 5 teams, I can't remember the champ draw but who do Tyrone play in their first champ game, no disrespect to weaker teams but they need a weaker team just to regain confidence, a tough game against Donegal or Monaghan wouldn't help them but in saying that even if they ended up in the qualifiers you still expect them to reach Croke Park, 1 advantage of the qualifiers is Tyrone may get the dubs in the quarter final instead of the semi if they win Ulster

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 04/04/2017 13:53:01    1975419

Link

Tyrone have definetely gone off the boil this last few games, but i have a feeling micky the wily old fox that he is,isplanning for the summer already,he knows he has to deliver in croke park this year and i would not write them off. they have some faboulous players who were only a kick of the ball away from beating mayo last year. the one thing i've noticed with his team selections is that he stays very loyal to the same players. maybe giving young mulgrew and lee brennan an extended run in the league would have freshened things up a bit. what has happened to kyle coney and brian mc guigans younger brother,two good forwards who would be an asset to any team.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 2401 - 04/04/2017 14:58:53    1975462

Link