National Forum

Tyrone for Sam 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I think with a bit of luck like we got in 2014 where we beat savage mayo and Donegal teams Tyrone could deffo win the allireland .
No 1 gave us a chance outside our own county but I had a sneaky suspicion we'd win it, sometimes you just get a feeling or a kind of a buzz that something is happening.
I remember we had lost gooch Galvin and Tomas and we beat Tyrone in the league game by 17 points and were robbed against the dubs by coldrick in crokepark. But I knew we were more unpredictable without the gooch.
The dubs are trying to create a myth that they are unbeatable and of course it will be tough to beat them at home with a leinster ref but YES I think Tyrone can do it they can win the allireland."
Still a bitter loser I see...I suppose for a county that gets a free pass in munster for approx 100 years now your not used to losing sure you will have another couple of years to get used to it unless the minors you are all pinning your hopes on come good. Was it not a leinster ref that was only short of kicking the ball over bar for ye in the semi 2014..

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 944 - 22/01/2017 12:39:20    1947685

Link

Ah Kingdomboy1, again with the Leinster refs, I've yet to meet a non Dub Leinster man that wants us to win but you probably know loads, tut tut, let it go man, looking back will drag you down :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8589 - 22/01/2017 15:45:25    1947702

Link

I have an issue with Leinster refs and their award of "ghost goals" to be honest, but I would have a little bit to much dignity to make a big deal out of it.

The tussle for the "we got close to Dublin" trophy is an epic tussle, one county showed the world how to best Dublin, the other were outdone by Machiavellian referee conspirocey's,

If the market for producing tin foil hats on the western seaboard is this strong, surely you could some of the young lads to work to stop them moving to the big cites or far flung lands. :)

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 22/01/2017 16:54:46    1947738

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Seems every county in the country was unlucky against Dublin last year, I'm a bit undecided on which county deserves "we got close to beating Dublin" trophy though.

The hallmark of this team, is that they come up against every system that throws adversity at them, Kerry tried to innovate as did Mayo, both changed their systems, both changed their natural footballing philosphey to evolve to try and beat Dublin. The Dublin players out thought both. One of the most satisfying things about the all Ireland last year is that Kerry and Mayo both tried something new, invovitive in term of approach and system that got the, closer and was surprising, yet the team were able to adjust and out think it.

As for Mayo I'm not sure, where they can go now, they have been going full tilt at Dublin for a while now, in a shoot out and open football they have been beaten, with defensive containment football they have been beaten, I don't think they have the depth of quality or quality of squad to get over the line, unless a big gun like Kerry or Dublin was taken out surprisingly and they got a rubber final, which can happen. Kerry have a very talented potentially great generation as well as their already great players coming through and if both align come August the semi final is not straight forward. The conveyor belt of talent isn't stopping in Dublin anytime soon and I think that will be evident again next year. I know Mayo won the U21 All Ireland last year, but after seeing that team at close quaters, they only just got over the line over a less then than vintage Dublin U 21 team. I didn't see the Cliffard or O Callaghan or a Neil Flynm the superstar forward to take them to the next level that they need. There was D. O' Connor but that trap is sprung to be very one of the half backs was impressive.

To be fair that's just my opinion the Mayo lads I'm sure will know more."
and I suppose two freak own goals in the final will be put down to Dublin out thinking their opponents?

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 22/01/2017 20:24:46    1947859

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "McAliskey takes frees for Clonoe. Harte for errigal. O'Neill for Omagh. Sean C for Moy. All successfully. However when the pressure is on in Tyrone games they fail. Not sure what else the management can do. Down to the players imo. I mean Micky can't hit the frees for them. He has tried all the players above and Morgan."
There's a big difference hitting frees in a club match in Tyrone compared to a high intensity pressure match in Croker - the problem with the guys you mention is they choke and have done so for a while now. I would throw in a young kid like Lee Brennan and tell him he's the man going forward - it's better than continuing with the same players. I would also suggest that some of these players kick from the ground - I firmly believe this is a more accurate method than out of hands. And to reply to a previous poster when he asks who else would I suggest Mickey plays. Well against Mayo and also against Kerry the previous year Tyrone were excellent running up to those games but both Kerry and Mayo worked out how to defend against the fast counter with players running off the shoulder. But if Tyrone had have changed tactic a little by dropping in long balls to a big man then that would have made Kerry and Mayo think twice about how to defend. Big McNulty was brought on way to late in both games and against Mayo into Midfield rather than on the square. But who am I to tell you guys about how you pick your team - I just think you're missing a trick.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 22/01/2017 20:58:28    1947887

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "and I suppose two freak own goals in the final will be put down to Dublin out thinking their opponents?"
You will have to be specific about the final mate, Dublin have won a few.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 22/01/2017 22:37:57    1947925

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "and I suppose two freak own goals in the final will be put down to Dublin out thinking their opponents?"
It's hardly Mayo out thinking Dublin now is it.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 22/01/2017 22:55:28    1947932

Link

Will Tyrone be showing their (Red) hand against Derry in The Mckena cup on 28th. It's good to see Derry improving but I doubt they will beat Tyrone in the qtr-final of Ulster, You will then be playing Donegal in The Ulster semi- final . That will be a big game and if you get through that then probably Monaghan in The final. It's a tough route to the quarter-finals. If you get knocked out at any stage no one would fancy yous in the play-offs though.

personally I think you will win ulster again then it could be down to a bit of luck here and there, There is not much between yourselves / Mayo/Kerry.
I still think it's a few years too soon to be beating Dublin.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 23/01/2017 11:50:48    1948039

Link

Ulster83 is a troll. I've not spoken to a single person in Tyrone who feels we're nailed on even for Ulster, never mind an All Ireland. We're a top 5 team, just about. Tyrone in fact were worse in 2016 than in 2015. If this current Tyrone team was playing eg the 05 team, there'd only be one winner and it wouldn't be the current team. We can play nice team football, sometimes, but there's not enough players who can turn a game; and, I hate to say it, but we're too nice as well. Teams used to hate playing v Tyrone, not the case any more. Plenty of handy wee forwards who impress on sunny days in low-stakes games but who fade out of it in big games. Sure, we're not a bad team, but the idea that we'll win an AI is silly. Agree that young Brennan needs a decent run, instead of this musical chairs crap which does nothing for a young lad's motivation or confidence.

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 23/01/2017 12:45:07    1948056

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "You will have to be specific about the final mate, Dublin have won a few."
who said it was?

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 23/01/2017 12:45:26    1948058

Link

Replying To essmac:  "Ulster83 is a troll. I've not spoken to a single person in Tyrone who feels we're nailed on even for Ulster, never mind an All Ireland. We're a top 5 team, just about. Tyrone in fact were worse in 2016 than in 2015. If this current Tyrone team was playing eg the 05 team, there'd only be one winner and it wouldn't be the current team. We can play nice team football, sometimes, but there's not enough players who can turn a game; and, I hate to say it, but we're too nice as well. Teams used to hate playing v Tyrone, not the case any more. Plenty of handy wee forwards who impress on sunny days in low-stakes games but who fade out of it in big games. Sure, we're not a bad team, but the idea that we'll win an AI is silly. Agree that young Brennan needs a decent run, instead of this musical chairs crap which does nothing for a young lad's motivation or confidence."
I would definately say Tyrone are favourites for Ulster.
Only Donegal can really compete but unless Donegal bring something new then I only see one winner. The Final in Ulster is generally tight but again I would be shocked if Tyrone lost it.

The All Ireland is different in that Dublin are by far the team to beat. To win against them a team needs to Play the best they can and hope for a bit of luck. They have been beaten once in 4 years and even then alot was based on luck. The dubs outscored Donegal that day.

The other teams Cork, Kerry, Mayo and Donegal (back after the qualifiers) are of a similar level but I wouldn't be afraid of them if I was from Tyrone. They dont have the same capacity to improve that I see in this Tyrone team.

So my opinion is that Tyrone are just in with a shout for Sam and by no means guaranteed. They are however probably the 2nd best team in Ireland.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1209 - 23/01/2017 14:13:40    1948097

Link

No more than my own county there is a lack of quality forwards currently to win the AI. Not in the same class of the teams of the noughties but should feature in the latter stages of the championship

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1222 - 23/01/2017 14:39:08    1948105

Link

Replying To essmac:  "Ulster83 is a troll. I've not spoken to a single person in Tyrone who feels we're nailed on even for Ulster, never mind an All Ireland. We're a top 5 team, just about. Tyrone in fact were worse in 2016 than in 2015. If this current Tyrone team was playing eg the 05 team, there'd only be one winner and it wouldn't be the current team. We can play nice team football, sometimes, but there's not enough players who can turn a game; and, I hate to say it, but we're too nice as well. Teams used to hate playing v Tyrone, not the case any more. Plenty of handy wee forwards who impress on sunny days in low-stakes games but who fade out of it in big games. Sure, we're not a bad team, but the idea that we'll win an AI is silly. Agree that young Brennan needs a decent run, instead of this musical chairs crap which does nothing for a young lad's motivation or confidence."
Who do you think can beat us in Ulster ?
I cant see anyone for foreseeable future.

Im not seeing we are guaranteed to win Sam but i dont think we will be beaten now that we have arrived at or got above Dublins level.
Majority of the Tyrone supporters at yesterdays game agreed with me.

ulster83 (Tyrone) - Posts: 114 - 23/01/2017 15:25:50    1948122

Link

I don't think mickey will go with brennan yet. Just cant see it with u-21's on the go to. Think he will be sub.

The more important matter from a tyrone perspective is mark Bradley. If harte plays him in the full fwd line and he transfers his club form to county he could easily move into that elite bracket. Sensational on his day and a joy to watch. I believe he came on at half time v cavan in last round of mc kenna cup for UUJ and won man of the match.

redhanddefender (Tyrone) - Posts: 913 - 23/01/2017 15:48:11    1948135

Link

Replying To redhanddefender:  "I don't think mickey will go with brennan yet. Just cant see it with u-21's on the go to. Think he will be sub.

The more important matter from a tyrone perspective is mark Bradley. If harte plays him in the full fwd line and he transfers his club form to county he could easily move into that elite bracket. Sensational on his day and a joy to watch. I believe he came on at half time v cavan in last round of mc kenna cup for UUJ and won man of the match."
yes Mark Bradley and McBrearty when they came on won it for UUJ, he is a superb footballer.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 24/01/2017 11:11:08    1948358

Link

Six in a row dusted ...dubs where coming for yas

Dellboypolecat (Tyrone) - Posts: 15069 - 28/01/2017 21:17:17    1949574

Link

Some Tyrone folk I know still want Mickey replaced, madness!! The only team I think possible of giving the Dub's a run for their money.

sean og (Armagh) - Posts: 1053 - 29/01/2017 18:17:28    1949829

Link

Mayo are the dark horses this year they can take the Dubs on their day

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1196 - 29/01/2017 18:56:08    1949850

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "Mayo are the dark horses this year they can take the Dubs on their day"
How r mayo dark horses
Their 3rd favourites probably shud b 2nd favourites behind dublin
Galway u cud call dark horse
But Mayo my friend are one of the favourites for sam 2017

rossy15 (Roscommon) - Posts: 617 - 29/01/2017 19:43:21    1949864

Link

Replying To ulster83:  "Who do you think can beat us in Ulster ?
I cant see anyone for foreseeable future.

Im not seeing we are guaranteed to win Sam but i dont think we will be beaten now that we have arrived at or got above Dublins level.
Majority of the Tyrone supporters at yesterdays game agreed with me."
Tyrone haven't the forwards to win. They have lots of hard running quality players who have been trained in a system of football since they were 16. That system of football has removed the free spirits from Tyrone football and those are the forwards you need to win an all Ireland.
They will go close but won't find the tough scores when the pressure is on

tirawleybaron (Mayo) - Posts: 1108 - 29/01/2017 20:15:13    1949872

Link