National Forum

Bitter rivalries

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hardcore:  "Replying To sceptical: "Their is certainly no love between the breifne aristocrats and our noisy neighbours but to echo my esteemed posters, Down are our rivals since our successful period coincided in a successful few decades for them. As for Tyrone, been successful in the recent decades they would class perhaps Armagh or donegal as their RIVALS. Monaghan have had a bit of a purple patch. Monaghan, like other weak counties such as westmeath, are disliked by their neighbours but can hardly claim to be anyone's historic rivals."

Holy Jasus.........Down are Cavan's rivals now,.............two teams who dominated in the, wait for it....................... 1960's...............................now thats sad,having to go back almost 60 years to find when you last had a good football team!!!

Meath,Down,Tyrone,Louth all have All Irelands yet you dont hear much mouthing out off them as you do with Cavan, and for this reason we dont want to see them win anything as they would dose you out of it,its been 20 years since they won anything at senior level yet they call us a weak county?? as i said, dose you out of it the would."
Oh they do, it just doesn't bother you as much :)

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12118 - 12/01/2017 16:27:18    1945228

Link

Replying To Donegal_abroad:  "How are Donegal and Tyrone not bordering?! That's news to me.

There's a border from south of Derry city all the way to Lough Derg roughly! Definitely a serious rivalry and definitely a long border between the the two counties."
Do some people no nothing about the geography of the country,Donegal and Tyrone not bordering My God.There is a bitter rivalry between Strabane,Urney,Castlederg and Aghyaran on the Tyrone side and Ballybofey ,Killygordon,Castlefinn and Lifford on the Donegal side.This was long before either had any success.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 1056 - 12/01/2017 16:32:39    1945231

Link

But much of what you hardcore say I am in agreement with. It is hard for us to admit that our rivals are Down. This reminds us of how long ago it has been since we were competing for all Ireland with the great Down teams of that era. This does not change the fact that monaghan cannot consider Tyrone Cavan or Donegal as a rival. All have won all Irelands I can't be sure but I think that you are lacking in that department. Our battles with you in div 2 or 3 or in Ulster Quarters Were hard fought but our rivals you are not.

sceptical (Cavan) - Posts: 544 - 12/01/2017 16:36:33    1945232

Link

That Monaghan lad might be right about the Cavan lot being a dose.
Some of them will argue to the hilt that they have a rivalry with Meath. Well done you played against us for Boylans last game and won a few league games. Reality is we dont care a jot about you apart from a few Kells lads.

RoyalBadger (Meath) - Posts: 571 - 12/01/2017 16:42:11    1945234

Link

Replying To RoyalBadger:  "That Monaghan lad might be right about the Cavan lot being a dose.
Some of them will argue to the hilt that they have a rivalry with Meath. Well done you played against us for Boylans last game and won a few league games. Reality is we dont care a jot about you apart from a few Kells lads."
Yeah it certainly sounds like you're not bothered.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12118 - 12/01/2017 16:58:17    1945237

Link

Anyone else like to angrily display how much you don't care about a rival?

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12118 - 12/01/2017 17:00:37    1945240

Link

The Breffni (cavan) Oriel (monaghan) rivalry is a long standing one, going back at least as far as the 1320s when the OReilly clan tried to move their people off the badlands into better land to the east. The mcmahon and duffy men in Oriel, despite being much smaller in number, resisted successfully due to a better standard of dinners.

Breffni even tried bring a mercenary clan, the mccabes, in from Scotland to do some fighting for them but to no avail. The remnants of these blow-in folk are still found in great numbers along the traditional border running from Shercock to cootehill. Rearing pigs became the solution to hunger in Cavan and remains so today.

Later in history the Breffni men took some solace from a period of success on the football field, but the emergence of new ulster powers has now closed this chapter of their history too.

As for the mccabes, they contributed little to Cavans football success in olden times, but in latter years have contributed half of the all stars ever produced by the county. Oriel had much fewer galloglass, or Golloglys, in their ranks but one fearless little nugget from that lineage has won more Ulster medals than all the surviving mccabes put together

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 1057 - 12/01/2017 17:15:09    1945247

Link

Replying To MURPHB33:  "Sligo Roscommon is bitter"
I'd have the Rossies/ Leitrim rivalry up higher than that. Sligo seem more concerned with how Sligo Rovers are doing than to be bothered about the Gaelic!

WestsideWarrior (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 12/01/2017 17:56:19    1945257

Link

According to the usual suspects on this forum we have no rivals at all, say's it all really if you can read between the lines, Great to see the Cavan lads back in full voice. Should sort out cost of a few holiday's over the next .... how long lads? when is this All Ireland expected?

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 1044 - 12/01/2017 19:02:16    1945272

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "According to the usual suspects on this forum we have no rivals at all, say's it all really if you can read between the lines, Great to see the Cavan lads back in full voice. Should sort out cost of a few holiday's over the next .... how long lads? when is this All Ireland expected?"
I really don't think we can be slagging anyone about AI chances.....

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 12/01/2017 19:34:08    1945279

Link

Galway hurling versus Galway football. Joking aside a small number of hurling dominated clubs in Galway do what they can to ensure football is irrelevant. Galway Mayo one of the longest rivalries around going back to God's time. In hurling Galway Tipp is the fiercest hurling rivalry I know. Loveto beat Tipp but strangely do respect them as when they are going well they general make hurling more exciting. In terms of rivalries outside my own county the most memorable would be Dublin/Meath Down/Armagh Tyrone/Armagh. Mind you Carrick on Shannon is a fun place whenever the Rossies cross swords with lovely Leitrim.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1946 - 12/01/2017 19:40:20    1945280

Link

Jaysus Monaghan lads, calm down!

McManus has a good 2-3 years left in him so yeah will be competitive in ulster for that long. Don't sweat it.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5012 - 12/01/2017 19:45:40    1945283

Link

Replying To Iamlegion666:  "I really don't think we can be slagging anyone about AI chances....."
Wha... new to this are you

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 1044 - 12/01/2017 20:04:38    1945295

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "Wha... new to this are you"
Nope

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 12/01/2017 20:50:07    1945309

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "According to the usual suspects on this forum we have no rivals at all, say's it all really if you can read between the lines, Great to see the Cavan lads back in full voice. Should sort out cost of a few holiday's over the next .... how long lads? when is this All Ireland expected?"
A now that's very harsh. Hey we know we're like yourselves a long way from Sam. We're in a museum now with the Mayo, Roscommon, and offaly fans looking at displays from long lost glory days. Sure come on in. There's a display on tysons fight with Mcbride and another on Roddy Collins time as United manager.

sceptical (Cavan) - Posts: 544 - 12/01/2017 21:34:55    1945316

Link

I have said on here before to disbelievers, that the Monaghan Cavan rivalry is huge.

I have known Monaghan men who bet on Kerry in the Polo Grounds in 47; and have heard tales of Cavan men in Kerry colours at the 85 AI semi final (& back again for the replay). These events at times when "support the Ulster Champions in AI series" would have been held as an article of faith.

Yes there's Tyrone and others, but the Cavan thing is, to my mind, permanent.
2017 is young, but the cod chat from across the ditch is already cranking up.
Great stuff.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 357 - 14/01/2017 10:06:37    1945602

Link

Replying To Knoxboya:  "I have said on here before to disbelievers, that the Monaghan Cavan rivalry is huge.

I have known Monaghan men who bet on Kerry in the Polo Grounds in 47; and have heard tales of Cavan men in Kerry colours at the 85 AI semi final (& back again for the replay). These events at times when "support the Ulster Champions in AI series" would have been held as an article of faith.

Yes there's Tyrone and others, but the Cavan thing is, to my mind, permanent.
2017 is young, but the cod chat from across the ditch is already cranking up.
Great stuff."
Nothing can surpass the bitterness between Cork and Kerry in football. I have been at league matches in the Old Athletic grounds in Cork where sods were thrown on to the pitch after some dispute. I remember the Kerry net sagging beneath their weight.

It was at a Munster final in Cork when Cork were finally beating their neighbours that a Cork supporter shouted, "Lock the gates and make the F*****s watch!". It was reported in the Examiner the following day.

I'm from a hurling part of Cork but support the footballers whenever I can, and nothing gives me more joy than Cork beating Kerry. Not even beating Tipperary in the hurling surpasses it.

Midleton (Cork) - Posts: 643 - 15/01/2017 16:13:48    1945839

Link

Replying To Midleton:  "Nothing can surpass the bitterness between Cork and Kerry in football. I have been at league matches in the Old Athletic grounds in Cork where sods were thrown on to the pitch after some dispute. I remember the Kerry net sagging beneath their weight.

It was at a Munster final in Cork when Cork were finally beating their neighbours that a Cork supporter shouted, "Lock the gates and make the F*****s watch!". It was reported in the Examiner the following day.

I'm from a hurling part of Cork but support the footballers whenever I can, and nothing gives me more joy than Cork beating Kerry. Not even beating Tipperary in the hurling surpasses it."
Kerry 1 - Cork 0 so far in 2017, start as you mean to go on :D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 15/01/2017 18:10:14    1945864

Link

Don't think Tyrone and Armagh would be sending Christmas cards to each other either, I remember back in 2004 when there was a double header in Croker Armagh v Fermanagh and Tyrone v Mayo, all day long the Armagh gang were saying we hope ye beat Tyrone and during the Armagh Fermanagh game the Tyrone supporters were backing Fermanagh, in all honestly it's some sight to behold where 60 or 65 thousand people Fermanagh Tyrone and Mayo people) roaring on an underdog (Fermanagh) and them going on to win, by the time the Mayo Tyrone game started a lot of us were hoarse, it was funny to see the stewards trying to stop a few hundred Fermanagh kids who had ran onto the pitch after the first game , they were like a swarm of bees, the stewards didn't know what to do, things like that that make our games enjoyable to take part in or watch, too much rules, red tape, insurance worries, one sided matches nowadays

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 15/01/2017 21:36:32    1945933

Link

Replying To Goalie2016:  "No rivalry yet we got a rendition of the Fields of Athenry and players been carried off shoulder high after a Connacht semi final win last year in Castlebar!!!"
Story of galways all Ireland final wins in football since 2001 all happened west of the Shannon. I wouldn't mention Galway in the same bracket with kerry and Dublin because they are irrevelent soon as the walk out in croke park.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 15/01/2017 21:57:50    1945941

Link