National Forum

Joe Canning for Hurler of the Year

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Soma:  "Barron is all them things but still his direct opponent was man of the match in the biggest game of the year. That would surely count against him when deciding hurler of the year."
Good point. It is player of the year though, he was outstanding against Cork and Kilkenny. David Burke wasn't far off HOTY too, it was a fascinating year and it was not as clear cut as 2014 and 2015 when Hogan and Reid won it. I think it was very close between Barron and McInerney for HOTY. Of the three shortlisted my picks would be in this order:

1/ Barron
2/ Canning
3/ Moran.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 20/09/2017 21:01:51    2048787

Link

Replying To thelongridge:  "When is it tokenism, that is a bloody stupid comment. In that game in Mullingar, Shane Dooley's scores were caused by goalkeeping errors by Westmeath's keeper. Anyone who was at the game saw that Shane got very little from Tommy Doyle. The scores came late in the game.

Tommy Doyle held Seamie Callinan scoreless in the qualifier games Tipperary. Callinan is one of the best forwards in the game. Some of the best players in the game play with the less successful counties.
Tokenism my posterior!"
Yeah the Westmeath goalkeeper had a nightmare for some of the late Offaly goals that night.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 20/09/2017 21:03:39    2048788

Link

JC will go down as one of our best ever but in terms of overall impact in the 2017 championship I am torn between McInerney and Barron. Leaving my bias out of it slight nod for the Deise man. What a year for the dual player from Fourmilewater and remember he was ill the week of the all ireland and had a brillant 50 mins until his withdrawal (I can only presume he was low in energy/ran out if gas)

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1946 - 20/09/2017 21:18:33    2048793

Link

Replying To thelongridge:  "When is it tokenism, that is a bloody stupid comment. In that game in Mullingar, Shane Dooley's scores were caused by goalkeeping errors by Westmeath's keeper. Anyone who was at the game saw that Shane got very little from Tommy Doyle. The scores came late in the game.

Tommy Doyle held Seamie Callinan scoreless in the qualifier games Tipperary. Callinan is one of the best forwards in the game. Some of the best players in the game play with the less successful counties.
Tokenism my posterior!"
It hardly matters what stage of the game Dooley scored, any fullback that concedes 2-3 from play to his opponent and another goal from a penalty on the same player has not had a great day. It was a great effort to keep Callahan scoreless for 45 minutes but then McGrath came on and scored a quick 1-1 on him. By all means recognise the best players regardless of county and Doyle may be a fine hurler but it would be patronising to nominate a player just because he is from a weaker county.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 20/09/2017 21:24:03    2048795

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Its that type of rubbish that he gets the good and bad publicity he does. How can you pick out on incident? I'd argue a biggerimpact on the All Ireland series was bringing Glynn on against Tipp...Tipp moved Maher on him from 7 and he ended up playing the last 7/8 mins at number 2. Would Canning have scored the winner if Maher was there?"
He probably wouldve scored, yes. What have ya got against Joe? Good luck to him. Barron and moran also had outstanding years too. I dont think Joe cares if he gets it. Im sure he happy to get his all ireland medal.

fireinthebelly (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 20/09/2017 21:25:14    2048798

Link

Replying To marooney:  "Relax a bit, it's only an hour or two since my post. I'm not seated at the computer 24/7 reading Hoganstand. And not sure why you think you have to give me a lesson on the nature of the forum...

Anyway, I took the trouble of tracking your post about Chin and I quote, "To be perfectly honest I didn't think Mahoney done enough this year but he was close alright. H Himself and chin were certainly two men that played in that position to score well from play unlike bonner and canning."

Now, I'll do the pedantic bit for you - you didn't actually say Chin scored 'more'. But to say he 'scored well from play unlike Bonner and Canning'? Five points from four games is 'scoring well from play' and superior to ten points from five games??? I rest my case.

Yes, I do think he deserves it this year. Other posters have largely stated why. For the record, I thought his second half semi-final performance against the All Ireland champions when the game was really in the balance was the most magnificent individual input of the year, with all due respect to others who were undoubtedly outstanding in extra-time against KK or whenever. Watching him that day, I thought it was the perfect embodiment of the phrase, 'cometh the hour, cometh the man'."
For the record, Canning scored 5 points from play in his last 4 games also!

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 21/09/2017 08:45:07    2048871

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Yes yes yes and there is not a player on the Galway team that would be grudge him. Your dislike for galway is quite evident. If you get a chance to listen to a play back check out Sean Walsh commentary of the all Ireland semi final against Tipp when canning scored that winning point he was described as the HIGH KING OF GALWAY and that's what he is."
I've no dislike for Galway what so ever. I've a huge amount of friends in Galway and I've been singing the praises of most of their players all year. I just don't feel the right Galway man is being nominated for the award. There's no arguing in the end he showed fierce bottle to win the semi for Galway but my opinion is that people aren't looking at his performance as a whole that day. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he was man of the match in any game, where as the likes of Whelan was probably at least nominated 3-4 games in a row. Anyway if he wins it fair play to him but I feel it's more of a reflection of an unreal hurling career to date rather than just 2017. For what it's worth he's the greatest player I've ever seen play for Galway and in the top 5 players I've seen play the game.

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 21/09/2017 08:53:24    2048875

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "I've no dislike for Galway what so ever. I've a huge amount of friends in Galway and I've been singing the praises of most of their players all year. I just don't feel the right Galway man is being nominated for the award. There's no arguing in the end he showed fierce bottle to win the semi for Galway but my opinion is that people aren't looking at his performance as a whole that day. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he was man of the match in any game, where as the likes of Whelan was probably at least nominated 3-4 games in a row. Anyway if he wins it fair play to him but I feel it's more of a reflection of an unreal hurling career to date rather than just 2017. For what it's worth he's the greatest player I've ever seen play for Galway and in the top 5 players I've seen play the game."
Being that great, he'll mean more to this award, than this award will mean to him, if he is the selected HOTY.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 3421 - 21/09/2017 10:00:34    2048891

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "For the record, Canning scored 5 points from play in his last 4 games also!"
Your point is?

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 88 - 21/09/2017 10:00:35    2048892

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "For the record, Canning scored 5 points from play in his last 4 games also!"
And by the way, he scored six from play in his last four games. So, you're wrong. Again.

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 88 - 21/09/2017 10:04:36    2048894

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Joe will get it as a kind of career reward rather than on the basis of this year alone I imagine. I have a suspicion that McInerney was left off the shortlist as it would have split the Galway vote. Instead there are 2 Waterford players and Joe. That said Galway would not have won the All-Ireland without him. Quiet against Wexford but he injured himself in the final training session before the Leinster final. Gutted through the Wexford game at half-speed before taking a few weeks off. Scored Galway's last 5 points in the semi against Tipp. And scored 0-2 from play, a sideline ball and nailed all his frees in the final. I didn't count all his assists but he had a fair few of those as well. I think he's had better years but it was still pretty good going from him."
Canning also made an extraordinary contribution to 'the comeback' against Waterford in the NHL q-final in Salthill, when he fired FOUR quick points from play after HT in no more than a 10-12 minute spell. This match has been given significant consideration as being the turning point in Galway's season.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 3421 - 21/09/2017 10:08:42    2048898

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "JC will go down as one of our best ever but in terms of overall impact in the 2017 championship I am torn between McInerney and Barron. Leaving my bias out of it slight nod for the Deise man. What a year for the dual player from Fourmilewater and remember he was ill the week of the all ireland and had a brillant 50 mins until his withdrawal (I can only presume he was low in energy/ran out if gas)"
David Burke made a huge impact on the final too, operating in the same sector of the pitch as Jamie Barron. I think Waterford won the midfield scoreline by just 1-3 to 0-5 on the day, leaving it a tad unclear as to which side the HOTY was operating for. Barron was ill for the final, and there were rumblings of a quad muscle issue with Burke in the run up to the Tipp game, and the final. Perhaps you'd need to review Canning's medical file prior to the Leinster Final as well, if you're pursuing that excuse route for the candidates.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 3421 - 21/09/2017 10:18:33    2048904

Link

Replying To marooney:  "And by the way, he scored six from play in his last four games. So, you're wrong. Again."
The same as Padraic Maher which makes it more baffling

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 21/09/2017 10:57:42    2048922

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Being that great, he'll mean more to this award, than this award will mean to him, if he is the selected HOTY."
Fare enough comment tbh

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 21/09/2017 11:00:09    2048923

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "David Burke made a huge impact on the final too, operating in the same sector of the pitch as Jamie Barron. I think Waterford won the midfield scoreline by just 1-3 to 0-5 on the day, leaving it a tad unclear as to which side the HOTY was operating for. Barron was ill for the final, and there were rumblings of a quad muscle issue with Burke in the run up to the Tipp game, and the final. Perhaps you'd need to review Canning's medical file prior to the Leinster Final as well, if you're pursuing that excuse route for the candidates."
Not an excuse. Just fact. I was not implying Barron would have had a 70 mins stormer by mentioning he was ill. Just stating facts as they were presented. Between Gearoid and Barron is just my opinion. JC obviously had critical plays but overall in terms of impact on the season thought the two i mentioned were ahead.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1946 - 21/09/2017 11:34:05    2048944

Link

Replying To Soma:  "It hardly matters what stage of the game Dooley scored, any fullback that concedes 2-3 from play to his opponent and another goal from a penalty on the same player has not had a great day. It was a great effort to keep Callahan scoreless for 45 minutes but then McGrath came on and scored a quick 1-1 on him. By all means recognise the best players regardless of county and Doyle may be a fine hurler but it would be patronising to nominate a player just because he is from a weaker county."
You missed the point. I did not name the player because he came from a particular county. It was in recognition of talent, regardless of what county aplayer represents.
The All Stars are invariably selected from counties involved in the closing stages of the championships, there are players in every county as talented as those from the more successful ones.

thelongridge (Offaly) - Posts: 1741 - 21/09/2017 13:39:35    2049001

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "The same as Padraic Maher which makes it more baffling"
You would have been correct if you'd said he scored five from play in his last TWO games. That wouldn't really suit the agenda though, would it.

marooney (Galway) - Posts: 88 - 21/09/2017 15:23:29    2049048

Link

Replying To marooney:  "You would have been correct if you'd said he scored five from play in his last TWO games. That wouldn't really suit the agenda though, would it."
Nope it wouldn't but it's still not what you'd expect from the standout player of the year now is it?

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 21/09/2017 15:50:19    2049062

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "JC will go down as one of our best ever but in terms of overall impact in the 2017 championship I am torn between McInerney and Barron. Leaving my bias out of it slight nod for the Deise man. What a year for the dual player from Fourmilewater and remember he was ill the week of the all ireland and had a brillant 50 mins until his withdrawal (I can only presume he was low in energy/ran out if gas)"
Fair play, good to see some objectivity here.

If it was a vote on the best hurler Canning would win it.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 21/09/2017 16:43:30    2049073

Link

What this shortlist proves is how this award is so subjective and opinion driven.

HOTY award and all-stars are a nice hat tip for a good season but all the Galway players care about is having a Celtic cross. I bet you any money Gleeson and Shanahan would gladly swap their HOTY awards for Celtic crosses.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 21/09/2017 16:46:19    2049075

Link