National Forum

Galway v Waterford Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just after listening to game on there on 2fm and Austin gleeson was on the show.The asked him about the helmet incident and he said it was a total accident lol.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 21/08/2017 20:28:34    2036169

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Just after listening to game on there on 2fm and Austin gleeson was on the show.The asked him about the helmet incident and he said it was a total accident lol."
That's great that he cleared everything up! So it sounds like James Owen and the CCCC were dead right in the end. The GAA should introduce a new rule for future disciplinary hearings - if the player under investigation says that he is satisfied that he did not deliberately break any rules, then the hearing cannot go ahead and he is in the clear.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 996 - 21/08/2017 21:35:43    2036197

Link

Replying To zinny:  "Although Harte plays a wing back his job is essentially to play as sweeper behind the halfback line. As a result he won't be in the middle of the park pushing forward. Galway full back line I believe is vulnerable and that is why he sits there.
It means there won't be a packed midfield so the midfield and half forwards will get space for me that's where the game will be won and lost. Could be wrong but we might not see a goal unless one team has to go for broke and change tactics"
Harte sweeps, when other teams sweep. Harte plays as selected, when teams like Cork or Tipp line it out conventionally. Harte doesn't have a 'job' to 'sit' anywhere. All sweepers protect their fullback lines, as far as I know. What else would they do? Harte didn't sweep v Tipp, because Tipp dont sweep. Harte swept v Offaly Wexford because those teams packed their defense. Are the Tipp forwards more dangerous than the Offaly and Wexford forwards? Yes. Yet Galway didn't choose to sweep, or protect their allegedly vulnerable fullback line against the superior Tipp forward line.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 3421 - 21/08/2017 22:10:57    2036205

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "That's great that he cleared everything up! So it sounds like James Owen and the CCCC were dead right in the end. The GAA should introduce a new rule for future disciplinary hearings - if the player under investigation says that he is satisfied that he did not deliberately break any rules, then the hearing cannot go ahead and he is in the clear."
I hear Tuohy said the same so there would be no suspension for him

dubshurling7 (Dublin) - Posts: 1017 - 21/08/2017 23:10:36    2036226

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "That's great that he cleared everything up! So it sounds like James Owen and the CCCC were dead right in the end. The GAA should introduce a new rule for future disciplinary hearings - if the player under investigation says that he is satisfied that he did not deliberately break any rules, then the hearing cannot go ahead and he is in the clear."
Ask a Waterford fan It looked deliberate. However the way the video was slowed to stop right at the point were his finger went into the cage helped make that look worse. The video picture was used on every paper and here. Please do not be so much of a cynic and lets go out and hope for the best game ever. Put this to bed and not continue this sh-te if ye lose. If we loose . If we lose the cup ban not go to a nicer place.

Ever before Gleeson,s incident happened I was hoping that no action would be taken against Tuohy. There are many other deliberate incidents that caused injury and were missed for one reason or other.

Canuck (Waterford) - Posts: 2659 - 22/08/2017 01:34:55    2036246

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "The Gaa's failure to apply rules & discipline is always coming back to haunt them & so it is again, the lead up to this final will be dominated by talk of suspensions. If rules are applied neither of the Gleesons should play, obviously Austin is a very talented hurler but has a short fuse. The video on YouTube of a pull in a club game leaves little to the imagination. The Gaa will bottle this in some shape or form allowing one or both of them to play. If both are banned it will make it easier for Galway & if Galway won it would be always thrown at them that they did so due to the suspensions. Another typical mess by the Association, just like the black card farce. The governance at the top at present is slow, laboured & too slow to implement change."
Austin Gleeson was not the player that pulled high across another player on that youtube video. You have to be sure before making an accusation like that.

PullHard7 (Waterford) - Posts: 53 - 22/08/2017 02:18:54    2036248

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Just after listening to game on there on 2fm and Austin gleeson was on the show.The asked him about the helmet incident and he said it was a total accident lol."
Well in fairness - ask a stupid question....

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1415 - 22/08/2017 12:56:46    2036364

Link

Aussie must love publicity-not sure why he did or was allowed to go on national radio and comment on the incident.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 935 - 22/08/2017 13:11:39    2036372

Link

Johnny Glynn made an impact the last day however he did look rusty. Not sure if he has stayed home since or how much ball work he's been getting.

I think from a Galway point of view I would hold him in reserve. If he starts I am sure Waterford will have a plan for him and his lack of hurling would probably become apparent. If he comes on Waterford would probably have to adjust mid game to cope with him. Mid game adjustments are tricky at the best of times. Also the fact that he would be fresh against tired players would counter balance his lack of hurling.

Great option to have.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1829 - 22/08/2017 13:32:30    2036383

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Johnny Glynn made an impact the last day however he did look rusty. Not sure if he has stayed home since or how much ball work he's been getting.

I think from a Galway point of view I would hold him in reserve. If he starts I am sure Waterford will have a plan for him and his lack of hurling would probably become apparent. If he comes on Waterford would probably have to adjust mid game to cope with him. Mid game adjustments are tricky at the best of times. Also the fact that he would be fresh against tired players would counter balance his lack of hurling.

Great option to have."
You are dead right there leave j Glynn as an impact sub.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 22/08/2017 15:08:36    2036421

Link

Replying To Ban:  "Well in fairness - ask a stupid question...."
Yeah whether it was intentional or not there is no way he is going to say he meant to pull the helmet off Meade.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 22/08/2017 15:12:41    2036423

Link

Replying To Canuck:  "Ask a Waterford fan It looked deliberate. However the way the video was slowed to stop right at the point were his finger went into the cage helped make that look worse. The video picture was used on every paper and here. Please do not be so much of a cynic and lets go out and hope for the best game ever. Put this to bed and not continue this sh-te if ye lose. If we loose . If we lose the cup ban not go to a nicer place.

Ever before Gleeson,s incident happened I was hoping that no action would be taken against Tuohy. There are many other deliberate incidents that caused injury and were missed for one reason or other."
I was actually hoping that he would get off and I am glad he did! If he plays a blinder and Waterford win, there will be no sour grapes from me. The obvious point of my last post is that Gleeson's claim that it was an accident is completely worthless. What else would anyone expect him (or Touhy, or any player in a similar situation) to say?

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 996 - 23/08/2017 00:27:41    2036605

Link

Any expected changes from either side?
De Burca will come in for Gleeson obviously. Will young Bennett hold his place though? I felt he was under pressure the last day.. I assume the Waterford team other than that is nailed on... They've plenty of options in the forwards though..
Galway probably have only really Niall Burke and C Mannion under pressure. I can't see Glynn playing from the start and if not that probably only leaves Flynn as a likely starter. Or is there a chance of Monaghan or Moloney starting?

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 23/08/2017 15:28:37    2036819

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Any expected changes from either side?
De Burca will come in for Gleeson obviously. Will young Bennett hold his place though? I felt he was under pressure the last day.. I assume the Waterford team other than that is nailed on... They've plenty of options in the forwards though..
Galway probably have only really Niall Burke and C Mannion under pressure. I can't see Glynn playing from the start and if not that probably only leaves Flynn as a likely starter. Or is there a chance of Monaghan or Moloney starting?"
yes you nailed it

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1196 - 24/08/2017 10:59:57    2037055

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "yes you nailed it"
What's Monaghan like? I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion.

Moloney is a good option off the bench and we know only good well about that in Tipp after 2015.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 24/08/2017 14:46:09    2037186

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "What's Monaghan like? I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion.

Moloney is a good option off the bench and we know only good well about that in Tipp after 2015."
Good potential but hasn't played much. He done well in a few mins against Wexford but still developing physically. Would be a surprise if he started but who knows

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 24/08/2017 15:09:35    2037199

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Good potential but hasn't played much. He done well in a few mins against Wexford but still developing physically. Would be a surprise if he started but who knows"
Won't start. Not physically strong enough yet and at senior level still inclined to take Hail Mary shots at goal instead of playing the percentage shot. But was excellent in the U21 semi final, and will only improve. Could see him getting a run from midway in the 2nd half onwards.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1903 - 24/08/2017 21:42:37    2037332

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Well Galway, for senior hurling purposes are a Leinster team now, so why should a Leinster ref be automatically appointed."
The referees for the last six All-Ireland finals have been from Leinster. Michael Wadding from Waterford refereed the 2010 final between KK and Tipp.

Are you suggesting that a referee from Connacht or Ulster should ref the finals?

In fact, give us your list of non-Leinster or Munster referees that should referee the All-Ireland final.

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2460 - 24/08/2017 22:33:45    2037355

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Any expected changes from either side?
Galway probably have only really Niall Burke and C Mannion under pressure. I can't see Glynn playing from the start and if not that probably only leaves Flynn as a likely starter. Or is there a chance of Monaghan or Moloney starting?"
Will Fives or De Búrca play sweeper?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 25/08/2017 11:50:09    2037487

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "Won't start. Not physically strong enough yet and at senior level still inclined to take Hail Mary shots at goal instead of playing the percentage shot. But was excellent in the U21 semi final, and will only improve. Could see him getting a run from midway in the 2nd half onwards."
Thanks, Pool and Tiobraid. Sounds like he is a good prospect for the future. Is Molloy on the senior panel?

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 25/08/2017 19:26:49    2037708

Link